Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Most of his references are designed to make him look smart rather than to actually be useful. Conway's Game of Life is a cool thing cool nerds have heard of, therefore it needs to be shoehorned into everything even if it's so impractical it's actually counterproductive to bring it up. Knuth's up-arrow notation is how you write Graham's Number* and is therefore a cool thing cool nerds have heard of, therefore it needs to be shoehorned into everything even if it forces him to waste several paragraphs explaining the notation when all that really matters is "it's a big number". They're pointless references designed only to high-five other people who make the same pointless references; they're the computer science equivalent of quoting Monty Python.

This is probably the best description I've heard of Yudkowsky and his life works so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of which, this post on Yudkowsky is pretty good.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Their 'Big Yud' tag is great.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

To the Big Yud, the trouble with catgirl harems isn't "it's a loving harem" but "you'd eventually get tired of having a harem".

Every time I visit this thread, I discover something new about this guy to hate. I tried watching a reenactment of Method of Rationality (using Sims 3 and a podcast), it got real old, real fast.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Things Yudowsky is afraid of:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alien Arcana posted:

Things Yudowsky is afraid of:

Well haven't you ever seen The Fly? Jeff Goldblum is pretty scary.

Really though, that's amazing

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
HAL wasn't malicious, he just had priorities :colbert:

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
So wait. Is determining the result of the simulation through logic different somehow different than running the situation?

Is God better at tampering with transistors than he is at tampering with brains?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Krotera posted:

Is God better at tampering with transistors than he is at tampering with brains?

Donate to Daddy Yud to find out. :catholic:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Does anyone know if Yudkowsky has ever said anything about euthanasia? I don't want to delve into the madness but I'm curious how he feels about the idea of suffering so much that death is preferable.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

made of bees posted:

Does anyone know if Yudkowsky has ever said anything about euthanasia? I don't want to delve into the madness but I'm curious how he feels about the idea of suffering so much that death is preferable.

Based on the five fimtillion simulated copies of him I've got in my head, he'd say someone who's suffering that much should cryo themselves immediately.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Djeser posted:

Based on the five fimtillion simulated copies of him I've got in my head, he'd say someone who's suffering that much should cryo themselves immediately.

From what little I remember, you're more or less correct. I remember a post on euthanasia for the cryo-minded; what's legal and what's safe. The answer was 'refuse food and water until you die', because it's always legal, and won't result in an autopsy, so you're clear to get popsicle'd immediately. It also takes a week and hurts like a bitch the whole time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Atmus posted:

HAL wasn't malicious, he just had priorities :colbert:

That's exactly what Yudkowski is worried about, than an AI that prioritizes something (he uses the example of paperclips) over humanity would eventually kill people to mine their corpses for resources. And SkyNet destroyed the world because it decided the best way to kill all humans and stop them from being able to pull its plug was to launch a nuclear war with Russia.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Literally Kermit posted:

To the Big Yud, the trouble with catgirl harems isn't "it's a loving harem" but "you'd eventually get tired of having a harem".

Yeah, I'd think slavery is maybe a bigger deal than eventually getting bored. That's just my opinion, though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

It totally is.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, I'd think slavery is maybe a bigger deal than eventually getting bored. That's just my opinion, though.

Well, Yudkowsky is the sort of guy who openly talks about his BSDM slave kink poo poo on his OK Cupid profile, next to his full name and links to the non profits he runs. Slavery is totally fine and we're all normies and plebs who can't get beyond what society tells us is right and wrong.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Found out from that blog that Yud's awful Harry Potter fanfic actually got praise from a legitimate, published author. How the hell does that happen?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Polybius91 posted:

Found out from that blog that Yud's awful Harry Potter fanfic actually got praise from a legitimate, published author. How the hell does that happen?

He's crazypants now, too. Cranks of a feather flock together.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Djeser posted:

Well, Yudkowsky is the sort of guy who openly talks about his BSDM slave kink poo poo on his OK Cupid profile, next to his full name and links to the non profits he runs. Slavery is totally fine and we're all normies and plebs who can't get beyond what society tells us is right and wrong.

Of all the things to complain about when it comes to this guy, liking BDSM is pretty drat low on the list.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Wanamingo posted:

Of all the things to complain about when it comes to this guy, liking BDSM is pretty drat low on the list.

He refers to his sexual/romantic arrangements as "our more evolved culture" or something like that. It's not the kink, it's the :smug:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Monocled Falcon posted:

Ah, they link to one of the best illustrations of their mindset I've ever seen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/23j3zo/you_wake_up_as_hitler_in_the_middle_of_ww2_what/cgxnom9

As a /r/badhistory poster pointed out, this guy's hyper rational plan is do what the Nazis tried to do but succeed this time. And then it appears he added on that, after conquering the rest of the world, he would disband most of the army and usher in an age of enlightenment.

I know this is a stupid minor detail in the grand tapestry of horrors, but this is just so stupid.

The first idea 'Don't immediately attack the USSR' is okay. The second idea 'Immediately attack the UK' is even worse than actually attacking the USSR.

Germany had no way to invade the Isles. They did not have an transport fleet that could move the entire Wehrmacht across in a reverse D-Day, let alone supply them. The Kriegsmarine didn't even have the ability to leave port without getting maimed by the Royal Navy. The French navy was scuttled before it could be captured. The Italian navy was locked up in the Mediterranean. This is why they didn't actually invade.

So I guess it's thematically appropriate that the plan for winning WWII is "I teleport 8 million soldiers into London :smuggo:"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

quote:

Related to the SS, all prison camps would immediately cease and desist inhumane treatment - they would become work camps, yes, but the Jews would not needlessly suffer. They would simply be manual labor, that were required to stay in the camps but were fed, given lodging, and the availability of schooling - similar to the Japanese internment camps of America. With a massive workforce that suddenly became significantly more motivated, the support of Ireland, and control of the Atlantic, I could rest for a little bit and consider what to do next.

So...rather than murder, this guy just wanted to enslave the Jews!

(And oh yeah, the Japanese internment camps were totally a good idea worth emulating.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

(And oh yeah, the Japanese internment camps were totally a good idea worth emulating.)

I also love that the Jews will get so much more motivated to work for you if they are just slaves instead of worked to the death.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, if history and/or mythology has taught us anything, it's that enslaving the Jews always works out for the best.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Polybius91 posted:

I'm guessing that David didn't actually read that far or deep into the material. Brin is a very smart essayist who has recently been swinging pretty hard at the Dark Enlightenment types, whom Big Yud rolls with.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Man, I'm glad I stopped reading the fanfic after a few chapters. I did enjoy it when it was just exploring how certain bits of magic might work behind the scenes... attacking P!=NP with trying to solve primes with the time turner one was particularly funny, in my opinion. But then it devolved into some weird version of Ender's Game with Quirrel as a good guy(?) and it just... fell flat. I think it was his jerking off to the hope of an immortal humanity (powered by Baysianism, of course) being an Uber Patronus that made me sigh and put it away in disgust.

Ironically, I think the point of that very chapter goes against his entire "you are probably a simulation" thing. The point of that chapter was that just because you have a mental model of something, doesn't mean that's how it actually works in the world. Bizzaro Harry Potter had a mental model of time travel, but it didn't quite mesh with how the time travel actually worked. Big Yud has a mental model of AI (including being able to develop infinite computing power with which to simulate infinite worlds that are exactly like our own except that the AI is actually god and can change things at will), and yet he never even attempts to see how that might match up with reality.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 2, 2014

canis minor
May 4, 2011

That is indeed... something.

Oh.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity.

The Big Yudkowsky posted:

Progress Report, Jun 2014
Posted on June 1, 2014
No writing progress to report. May was one crazy month—well, you don’t care about that.

Question to the general readership: Does anyone have a quiet vacation home, not necessarily somewhere with good Internet access or more than 1x speed on Verizon, where I and my SO could spend 3-4 weeks while I just work on nothing but the final arc of HPMOR? Maybe during September, say? If so, please drop me a call at [REDACTED (see his site for actual address]. You will get one of the last remaining cameo opportunities, and the eternal gratitude of many HPMOR readers. For optimal productivity I’m looking for a quiet location, AC if the weather goes over 80 degrees, a shower stall at least the size of a bathtub, 2 bedrooms, and solitude. Can take a plane trip in the US or Canada as required. Will pay utilities. And again, good Internet access is definitely not needed.

Spend the month of September playing host to the man himself as he finishes his magnum opus!

quote:

I estimate a >50% probability that the one-chapter short update, Ch. 102, will appear in July. I… hope people don’t get too worked up about this, because it’s just one chapter. But I know that far too many of you have nothing else to hope for.

All you starving African orphans out there with nothing left to hope for, chapter 102 is coming your way!

Edit: please don't actually email Yudkowsky, goons. Remember the Prime Directive.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

and yet he never even attempts to see how that might match up with reality.

That which would be destroyed by the truth should be... unless it's the only thing standing between me and my crippling, all-encompassing fear of death.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

So, another thing about our man Big Yud. He has a lot to say about akrasia, which is a word not a lot of people use. It's the sensation of knowing what you *should* do and not doing it. The best-known description of it that I know is in Romans in the New Testament. "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." It's "being lazy" for people who know a lot of words, basically. Most of these posts are about how he wishes he could write the next chapter of his fanfic, but he just can't because he's suffering from so much akrasia.

So that's dumb, of course, but this makes it amazing.

quote:

I… hope people don’t get too worked up about this, because it’s just one chapter. But I know that far too many of you have nothing else to hope for.

Anyway. It just pleases me SO MUCH to know that Yud thinks that people have literally nothing to hope for in life except for the next chapter of his Harry Potter fanfic, and he *still* can't bring himself to write it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
How many simulations of Yudkowski would an AI have to torture in the future in order to induce him to finally finish his Harry Potter fanfiction?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Nazis actually did this. It mostly resulted in shoddily made or outright sabotaged equipment because, it turns out starving, beaten, tortured people who you're murdering in droves are not really motivated to help you and will even fight back quietly if an opportunity presents itself.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Quite possibly the greatest example of using big words to sound smart where none were needed.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Quite possibly the greatest example of using big words to sound smart where none were needed.

Oh, your ignorance must be blissful. They do this so much that they have an entire page for it.

http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Jargon

My personal favorite is at the top of the page. Their acronym ADBOC, which stands for Agree Denotationally But Object Connotationally.

Can you guess what this means?

"I guess that's technically correct."

E: oh man it's better than I thought.

There are hundreds of words here explaining the idea that "people spin things in their own favor".

http://lesswrong.com/lw/4h/when_truth_isnt_enough/

Man, I'm glad you posted, it's been a while since I went looking for word vomit.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Truly I knew nothing.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

It's really something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXARrMadTKk

#big yud

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

This is the best thing ever.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Patter Song posted:

So...don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Spend the month of September playing host to the man himself as he finishes his magnum opus!

All you starving African orphans out there with nothing left to hope for, chapter 102 is coming your way!

Edit: please don't actually email Yudkowsky, goons. Remember the Prime Directive.

Oh don't worry, he's already found some sap generous and gracious person (or several of them, rather) who want nothing more than to provide this guy with a free writer's retreat.

HPMOR subreddit posted:

In order to show support, I sent Eliezer an email about the possibility, and he gave a response that I was not the only one to send him an email of that sort, and that he would most likely be able to stay in a place without needing me to negotiate with my family for it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SolTerrasa posted:

So, another thing about our man Big Yud. He has a lot to say about akrasia, which is a word not a lot of people use. It's the sensation of knowing what you *should* do and not doing it. The best-known description of it that I know is in Romans in the New Testament. "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." It's "being lazy" for people who know a lot of words, basically. Most of these posts are about how he wishes he could write the next chapter of his fanfic, but he just can't because he's suffering from so much akrasia.

So that's dumb, of course, but this makes it amazing.

Anyway. It just pleases me SO MUCH to know that Yud thinks that people have literally nothing to hope for in life except for the next chapter of his Harry Potter fanfic, and he *still* can't bring himself to write it.

LW is obsessed with finding the right kind of mental hack or physical change to get rid of weakness of will, because they firmly believe that's the only thing keeping them from world domination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LW is obsessed with finding the right kind of mental hack or physical change to get rid of weakness of will, because they firmly believe that's the only thing keeping them from world domination.

Well, obviously, because clearly they are the smartest people and therefore could totally do it if they got off their lazy asses and put their minds to it. Obviously.

• Locked thread