Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jaime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think there's precisely one person on earth who understands why Sean Bean was photoshopped on to Thor for a GoT Season 2 DVD cover.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Aurain posted:

I think there's precisely one person on earth who understands why Sean Bean was photoshopped on to Thor for a GoT Season 2 DVD cover.

Sean Bean?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry, Neddard Stark.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sean Bohn

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Chinese bootlegs are NUTS

How the gently caress did those guys in Moles Town take so long to guess the song that whore was burping, seeing as there's literally only two songs in GoT?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

kcroy posted:

oh yeah you are right! I actually made a maleficent joke at the time too lol, I guess I just blocked it out... in my mind she was just being recognized for who she was ( high born ), and wearing dorky "of the Vale" bird poo poo. But yeah, she does get all "Evil-y" looking.
It could be that Arya actually does reunite with her sister and the Hound gets paid and leaves, but she doesn't like what Sansa's become/becoming, so she leaves to meet up with the Hound again. She finds him out near a port, dying. She then realizes there is nothing and no one in Westeros for her, and that the continent ruins everyone living there, so she leaves for Braavos.

Or a dumbass near miss.

quote:

I hear what you are saying about greyworm / missandei - I guess I just don't care about anything on that side of the sea that doesn't move dany's plot forward. Jorah's speech was loving pathetic too. I always thought "yes, I was sent to spy on you, but when I got here I knew you were the true queen. I was ashamed of what I had done, and did not know how to address it. I am yours totally and completely".

Bam motherfucker. done and done.
I actually think they're setting us up to care about the side characters in Meereen to carry the plot while Dany shits in the plains--skipping most of her painful incompetence along the way. All we really need for her to contemplate her incompetence is the goatherd's son being torched, news about violence against former slaves, and the fighting pits. Not chapters upon chapters of "if I look back I am lost"

She really is the weakest link in that part of the series, and her acting sucks hard in the show. Everyone except Jedi Jorah is leagues ahead of her.

quote:

Everytime they said "retard" I did actually flinch a bit. And the speech mocking too. God I did something like that once in front of a coworker, and forgot he had a disabled kid. He just stared at me, and I stammered an apology. :cringe:

When they remove or alter things from the book! it's typically a good choice. When they insert things, it's usually terrible like having a physically disadvantaged person making fun of the mentally disadvantaged, or Jaime rape.

Was that the point of the dialogue? More brotherly bonding plus showing Tyrion identified with Orson more than his siblings? Was he asking why he bothered to keep trying to save the realm or please his family or be happy?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

visceril posted:

Was that the point of the dialogue? More brotherly bonding plus showing Tyrion identified with Orson more than his siblings? Was he asking why he bothered to keep trying to save the realm or please his family or be happy?

Cersei/Tywin were supposed to be Orson and Tyrion a beatle getting smashed for their own unknown reasons perhaps? If we didn't know that Tyrion is going to escape, I'd assume it was just a call of "Let's squeeze what ever we can out of Dinklage while we still have him, what about getting him to mock a mentally handicapped persons speech?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think a large part of that speech was lampshade hanging on ASOIAF/GoT itself. Orson Lannister is GRRM, the bugs/characters are his playthings and what he does to characters and why are things only he knows. The mental handicap thing should be apparent to anyone who has read ASOIAF books. The mule kicking him and killing him before his time was referring to the fact that GRRM will die before his books are done.

I'm kidding about the last two points, but only barely.

Mundi
Sep 19, 2011

Your voice is ambrosia
I took it as somehow related to the mountain and how he likes to murder people with no reason.

Or the showrunners are just awful people who like to make fun of mentally handicapped people....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That whole thing felt weird to me, too. Like it was being really heavy handed (no pun intended), but I still didn't understand what it getting at exactly.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I just hope it isn't book six stuff that the showrunners have decided to put in early.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tea Bone posted:

I just hope it isn't book six stuff that the showrunners have decided to put in early.

Orson Lannister is the real secret Tard Targ.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Aurain posted:

Still, you'd think that they'd bring two suspicious people claiming to be the daughter of Ned Stark/Lysa Arryn's niece and The Hound, noted hard bastard in for questioning to find out the truth at least.
I'm sure they'll have some way they wave it away, but it's something seems kind of dumb. Similar to Stannis being on the castle walls of King's Landing when Tywin's army swarms in and takes everyone out. There's very little chance that he'd have gotten away from there unarmed.

It seems a little weird that vagrants just outside the Vale know about the bounty for the Hound but the Vale guards don't.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tadashi posted:

It seems a little weird that vagrants just outside the Vale know about the bounty for the Hound but the Vale guards don't.

Unlike the vagrants, the guards have job. They can't just spend all day trolling Facebook and finding out about bounties.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martins-editor-hints-at-eighth-song-book-20140603

"Fatty NoWrity's editor posted:

"[I]n all honesty only George knows how many books there will be in the series and he's not saying: indeed at this stage of the writing, with the many branching pathways of the characters' stories still to intersect, he may not know." Johnson even admitted she couldn't imagine how Martin was going to tie up all of the saga's loose ends in just two more books

IT BEGINS AGAIN

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

That whole thing felt weird to me, too. Like it was being really heavy handed (no pun intended), but I still didn't understand what it getting at exactly.

I took it as Tyrion comparing the gods to his cousin. Its death and destruction to small things that ultimately don't matter and the reason for it can't be grasped through normal thinking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Seriously with the deliberate pacing of the books even pre-AFFC, the only way I can see the series ending in two more books are if half the plots are just pointless shaggy dog stories. Like, Arya and Jaime and Wizard Sam team up to kill Cersei, and then the epilogue is a Dany chapter that ends with "She climbed off Drogon and finally set foot on Westeros, her homeland. She was about to signal her navy to begin landing when suddenly The Others invaded, lead by Night King Stannis, and killed everyone."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Maybe they'll be two books that, despite the immense length required to finish the story, are tightly written, well edited, and constantly push the story forward rather than meander around.

lol

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

GRRM literally (literally) has like two chapters of TWOW written that weren't supposed to be in ADWD, and the TV series is going to catch the gently caress up to the books next season. The show will complete the timeline before the book series does/GRRM croaks, and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively wrong.

I want to believe

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-could-be-8-not-7-books.html

Gurm only writes when he's on the verge of breaking a contract. And his editor is apparently not allowed to make edits.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DrPop posted:

GRRM literally (literally) has like two chapters of TWOW written that weren't supposed to be in ADWD, and the TV series is going to catch the gently caress up to the books next season. The show will complete the timeline before the book series does/GRRM croaks, and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively wrong.

I want to believe

the tv series is going to catch up to the books by the end of this season :rolleyes:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
TV and popularity are cool. They both mean that we're going to get indications of how they plan to handle post-ADWD poo poo within one year max. Which might as well be beyond the speed of light as far as this thread is concerned.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Predicting a massive shitstorm when HBO goes to the gurm and asks for the next bit. They'll get him on breach of contract somewhere and then they'll just do their thing.

And gurm will muse that while words are wind, contracts are serious business.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kellanved posted:

Predicting a massive shitstorm when HBO goes to the gurm and asks for the next bit. They'll get him on breach of contract somewhere and then they'll just do their thing.

Didn't they say that he has told them all the characters fates and outline for the rest of the series? It will still be hilarious when the show spoils the books.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I maintain that something so rotten as these books cannot be spoiled.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Aurain posted:

I maintain that something so rotten as these books cannot be spoiled.

Pretty much this. Nothing could spoil ASoIaF anymore than the "a Feast for Crows" and "a Dance with Dragons" already has.

On another note, I recently remembered this part from ADWD:

"GURRM" posted:

What have I done? she thought, huddled in her empty bed. I have waited so long for him to come back, and I send him away. “He would make a monster of me,” she whispered, “a butcher queen.” But then she thought of Drogon far away, and the dragons in the pit. There is blood on my hands too, and on my heart. We are not so different, Daario and I. We are both monsters.
Danny's parts really do get dangerously close to Twilight-esq territory.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Kellanved posted:

Lord, I hope this ends up with dueling lawyers. HBO suing Martin for breach of contract and Martin suing HBO because he's a dick.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Lord, I hope this ends up with dueling lawyers. HBO suing Martin for breach of contract and Martin suing HBO because he's a dick.
If HBO does a different thing, I expect the grrum to write the opposite out of spite.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Talas posted:

I expect the grrum to write

See, there's your problem.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

See, there's your problem.

He's not gonna write books but it could lead to some hilarious blog posts full of neckbeard rage.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I keep expecting them to announce that the show writers are just going to finish off the book series "in collaboration" with GRRM.

As for the Missandei and Grey Worm plot:

quote:

I actually think they're setting us up to care about the side characters in Meereen to carry the plot while Dany shits in the plains--skipping most of her painful incompetence along the way. All we really need for her to contemplate her incompetence is the goatherd's son being torched, news about violence against former slaves, and the fighting pits. Not chapters upon chapters of "if I look back I am lost"

She really is the weakest link in that part of the series, and her acting sucks hard in the show. Everyone except Jedi Jorah is leagues ahead of her.

I think that's right - they need more stuff to add to what's happening over there in the show while we wait for other people to get over to where she is. I actually think that giving them some more story is potentially very interesting. I really like the idea of a story about two people who have been property for pretty much all their lives learning how to be free people who make their own decisions and participate in aspects of life that were previously forbidden to them.

What I would really like, is if they eventually become independent enough to clash with Dany over something, bringing up questions of whether Dany might not be just another "master" when it comes to the former slaves in her retinue.

I really think the Dany plotline works best when it's a steady progression of her learning how to be a ruler, and I would rather the show fill in the blanks with more stories about how she learns what makes a good queen than more stories about her mooning over Daario.

ETA: Oh and the part with Tyrion talking about the mentally disabled cousin. I thought that was supposed to be a metaphor for kings and subjects in Westeros. Like all these rulers are basically Orson and the Westerosi people are the beetles and the way they act doesn't make any sense if you look at it from the outside. I kind of spaced out for several parts of that, though, so I may have totally misinterpreted it.

Although I kind of like the idea that the cousin is a metaphor for GRRM, just a big dumb guy sitting around killing fools for fun.

Lowly fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still think Grey Worm's getting skewered by the Sons of the Harpy, and that's why they're developing him.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they say that he has told them all the characters fates and outline for the rest of the series? It will still be hilarious when the show spoils the books.

They lie. GRRM lies. That fat gently caress has NEVER had an outline. I'm sure he poo poo one out for contract purposes, and to "seal the deal", but well.. words are wind. He would have flown whatever he needed to up his fat pink mast to bring that HBO deal home to harbor.

quote:

I think that's right - they need more stuff to add to what's happening over there in the show while we wait for other people to get over to where she is. I actually think that giving them some more story is potentially very interesting. I really like the idea of a story about two people who have been property for pretty much all their lives learning how to be free people who make their own decisions and participate in aspects of life that were previously forbidden to them.

What I would really like, is if they eventually become independent enough to clash with Dany over something, bringing up questions of whether Dany might not be just another "master" when it comes to the former slaves in her retinue.

That would be pretty excellent.

quote:

ETA: Oh and the part with Tyrion talking about the mentally disabled cousin. I thought that was supposed to be a metaphor for kings and subjects in Westeros. Like all these rulers are basically Orson and the Westerosi people are the beetles and the way they act doesn't make any sense if you look at it from the outside. I kind of spaced out for several parts of that, though, so I may have totally misinterpreted it.

Although I kind of like the idea that the cousin is a metaphor for GRRM, just a big dumb guy sitting around killing fools for fun.

ok - notice how he DIDNT squash that bug? I think there is going to be a scene, after Jaime rescues him, and they have their blow out...

Tyrion, filled with rage and disgust, is going to reveal that what he learned from Differentially Abled Lannister is that KILLING BUGS FEELS GOOD. That the world is driven by a mad/evil god. And he will liken himself to that when declaring that he killed joffrey. Then he will step on a bug to prove how "evil" he is now.

Then, free of morality, at one with the madness of the world, he will go up stairs, strangle shae. Beyond all forgiveness, into the depths of madness, will kill his father. This all sets up his mental break down. Which is too bad, because those murders are IMO his finest moments. And then we have a book of him wallowing in self pity and being a useless fuckhole.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-could-be-8-not-7-books.html

Gurm only writes when he's on the verge of breaking a contract. And his editor is apparently not allowed to make edits.

Some sad editor posted:

"I did try to get him to take a few 'words are wind' out of ADWD, but he got stubborn again," Groell says. "Characters said it 14 times in [the book]. I tried to get him to cut it down to 6-7. No dice."

loving l.o.l.

So it sounds like she is basically a suggestion make / fact checker? no wonder it will only take her a week or whatever to edit the next book. Sounds like a pretty easy gig. I still wish I knew if GRRM submits his work on a goddamn 3.5 inch floppy. I wonder if he is smart enough to have off-site backups in case of a fire or something.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurain posted:

The season 2 asset pack the artist received... they were like "they cut his head off in the show, so we sent you a photo of his head to use", and the guy was like, gently caress that! We need to sell units! No one likes star with no body!!

So he pops open his folder for the hit movie THORM: PERSONAL STRENGTH IS ALWAYS , and just grabs that asset.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He may have to burn his own house down and claim the drafts were lost to have an excuse for it still not being done.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

man are you sure? that doesn't look like him. I feel like its from some pirate movie or something.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think the Tyrion/Jaime retard discussion is setting up "Why do retards squash beetles?" to replace "Where do whores go?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

kcroy posted:

man are you sure? that doesn't look like him. I feel like its from some pirate movie or something.

Yeah, it's Season 1 Jaime.