Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LordPants posted:

Is MiLB.tv a thing worth getting these days? It seems like almost every AAA and AA team has coverage now, right?

There's a CBS sports game of the week each week but the few times I've watched it seems like more of a 3 hour promotion for minor league baseball than live coverage of a baseball game.

E: MLB Fan Cave did an awesome thing:https://vine.co/v/MptdYeqY3Ep

tadashi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

LordPants posted:

Is MiLB.tv a thing worth getting these days? It seems like almost every AAA and AA team has coverage now, right?

Not really unless you desperately want to watch AAA and AA games. Many of them are one camera setups.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

New Robocop sucks. This is a catastrophe.

Detroit's reputation will be ruined.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I blame Rick Snyder.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
so profar is done for the year now i guess lol

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

so profar is done for the year now i guess lol

And Harrison had his possible career-ending spinal fusion surgery today

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Y'know at least when Valverde pitched, there was some uncertainty as to what would happen. Knowing with absolute certainty that Nathan is going to come in and blow it in increasingly embarrassing fashion is so much loving worse.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/27767026-418/harry-caray-diary-tracked-every-drink-every-bar-in-1972.html#.U45-_yjwVVL

288 consecutive days in bars, not only in Chicago, but New York City, and of course on the road with the Sox, beginning with spring training in Sarasota.

After spending at least 354 of the previous 357 days in bars (DePorter counted 61 different tap houses) Caray writes, in a bold hand, “Vacation in Acapulco. Then “Vacation” every day until the year runs out.

:vince:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

VJeff posted:

Y'know at least when Valverde pitched, there was some uncertainty as to what would happen. Knowing with absolute certainty that Nathan is going to come in and blow it in increasingly embarrassing fashion is so much loving worse.

The best was when he'd come in like he was hot poo poo with a 3 run lead, serve up 2 solo dingers, and get the save and do his weird dance. It was so bizarre to witness.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rand alPaul posted:

The best was when he'd come in like he was hot poo poo with a 3 run lead, serve up 2 solo dingers, and get the save and do his weird dance. It was so bizarre to witness.

This is preferable to watching Nathan glare at Castellanos like a petulant teenager before serving up a 3-run walk off homer.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

VJeff posted:

This is preferable to watching Nathan glare at Castellanos like a petulant teenager before serving up a 3-run walk off homer.

Yeah I'm wondering if he blames Romine or the umps for this blown save.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

He should blame the manager for putting Joe Nathan in to pitch

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Henderson Alvarez is cool.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Eddie Butler is getting called up and will start on Friday :dance::dance::dance:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

LordPants posted:

I got it a couple years ago. I think I watched maybe 2 Rochester Red Wings games. MLB.tv provides so much content that unless you really love watching minor league baseball, it's not really worth it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Minor league baseball is super fun in person because you and a bunch of friends can get great seats, and real drunk, for like $75. I can't imagine it's very fun on TV. I mean, no one stops me from drinking and yelling at the TV Nationals.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Has this been posted here already?

I don't know how to feel about this. :pwn:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I never knew that Cardinal tears tasted like Bud Light.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's fantastic

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

YeahTubaMike posted:

Rotator cuff injuries are hard to come back from. Legit reason, better go see Dr. James Andrews.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Can we add fitty's face to the Dr. Andrews death picture?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs DFA'd Veras.

Too lovely to be a Cub is a bad place to be as a baseball player.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
So you guys might remember Jason Lane, an OF who had a couple of decent years playing for the Astros from 2002-2007. Well apparently now he's a pitcher and was just recalled from AAA El Paso by the Padres and threw 3.1 scoreless innings against the Pirates tonight. Jeff Francoeur is also still randomly pitching a few games here and there for El Paso currently.

V: Add Francoeur and/or Lane to the rotation, they can't be any worse than Eric Stults.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
No way, Jason Lane is pitching in the majors? Last I heard he was pitching (and an ace) for the independent league Sugarland Skeeters

Also look at this loving first pitch from Robocop. Embarassing

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24579965/video-robocop-throws-out-the-first-pitch-in-detroit

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Brock Holt has been awesome lately. Sucks that he'll probably be sent down to AAA once Napoli comes back.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Can of Cloud posted:

Brock Holt has been awesome lately. Sucks that he'll probably be sent down to AAA once Napoli comes back.

Remember Pedro Ciriaco?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Remember Pedro Ciriaco?

her?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

No way, Jason Lane is pitching in the majors? Last I heard he was pitching (and an ace) for the independent league Sugarland Skeeters
Surely this will lead to Tracy McGrady, future MLBer??

Also :neckbeard: yay Jon Singleton homered in his debut

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Between Lane and Francoeur, the Padres seem to at least be fiddling around with idea of relievers who can hit for themselves and allow the team not to burn through relievers when they're a run or two behind or even tied, depending how good the relief pitching aspect is. It's probably too much to ever expect one of these guys to be a pinch-hitter quality bat and an above average MLB relief arm; the way baseball works right now there's just no real way to develop a guy like that unless he's busted out as a hitter. Interesting idea, though, and it's not like the Padres have much to lose looking into it right now.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I was thinking about this the other night and when you have a guy with a swing and relatively good instincts like Francouer I don't see the harm in trying him as a dual bench bat/reliever at the MLB level. Frenchy has the arm of a potential pitcher anyhow. Obviously it comes down to how much time a player like this can devote to studying potential hitters to pitch to vs facing potential pitchers as a batter, but if a player can be mediocre at both that is a lot of value.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Intruder posted:

Also look at this loving first pitch from Robocop. Embarassing

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24579965/video-robocop-throws-out-the-first-pitch-in-detroit

They could have at least got some college pitcher or someone who could throw a decent strike from the mound. That's just embarassing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

I got it a couple years ago. I think I watched maybe 2 Rochester Red Wings games. MLB.tv provides so much content that unless you really love watching minor league baseball, it's not really worth it.

But without MiLB I can't watch a team filled with Rays players win games. :colbert:

:smith:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

....if a player can be mediocre at both that is a lot of value.
Being mediocre or having just one tool at the MLB level can have a lot of value for the player, that's for drat sure. Just doing back-of-a-napkin addition, it looks like Francoeur has made at least $28,000,000 so far.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Well, one assumes the idea with these guys is for them to be mop-up/extreme low leverage guys who, if things are working for them at the plate, can give you ~3 IP and 1 or 2 PA with a lineup that resembles an AL team's lineup. A couple times a year, the fact that you've got a real hitter naturally hitting in the 9 spot and you don't have to interrupt a rally with a bunting/pinch-hitting switchfest could help you get back a lead, at which point you'd start using your "real" relievers again.

Whether or not Jason Lane can do that at the plate in his late 30s and/or whether or not Frenchy can get his pitching to MLB-acceptable relief levels remains to be seen, of course.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Cubs are moving from WGN to WBBM next year, and maybe the Score after that if the Sox don't re-up: http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/06/03/why-wgn-radio-lost-the-cubs/

The world is upside-down, and there is no purchase to be found for my sanity.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So apparently the Pirates have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb about .500.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Cubs are moving from WGN to WBBM next year, and maybe the Score after that if the Sox don't re-up: http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/06/03/why-wgn-radio-lost-the-cubs/

The world is upside-down, and there is no purchase to be found for my sanity.

720 Ron Santo e'reday. :sadwave:

That's kinda sad really, it would be like if the Dodgers parted ways with Scully just because.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Sucks for us downstaters since we can't pick up WBBM. And at least in Champaign the local Cubs radio network affiliate is a tinny sounding piece of poo poo.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs DFA'd Veras.

Too lovely to be a Cub is a bad place to be as a baseball player.

Please take the entire outfield with you, Veras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Can of Cloud posted:

I think Herrera still has an option to burn, so my guess is he'll be the one sent back down. The Sox are so desperate for good offensive production (as opposed to the offensive offensive production they've been getting) from the outfield they have Holt practicing fielding fly balls.

On a related note: Mookie Betts got called up to AAA yesterday. If (huge, giant, flashing red if) he makes the transition to AAA pitching as easily as he did with AA, he might just see time in the bigs this season(though he did go 0-4, with a walk last night in his debut). Because again, the Red Sox OF cannot hit a ball to save their lives, going into the game last night they were hitting .215/.287/.327/.614, and Betts could at the very least match that without costing them the millions they are paying Sizemore if he finishes the season. Not saying call him up now, but see how he's doing in a month or two.

• Locked thread