Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Illinois has a series of really annoying ads advertising the state being the home of Abe Lincoln by having a statue of him going around town shouting Whoa for 30 seconds. This ad was pretty awful and the person doing his voice sounded like a fratboy, but they had a second ad with him going around eating, with him making "Mmmmm" noises for 30 seconds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Suzuki Method posted:

Haha, this is great.

Mugabe and Amin on the tank is my favorite part.

In case you didn't make the connection: the guy on the swing is P. W. Botha, the last Prime Minister of South Africa, it's first State President, and last Apartheid leader of South Africa (assuming one doesn't count de Klerk as one). It's a South African restaurant chain.

That's practically on the level of a German beer company having a Young Hitler burst into a beer hall with the Blood-Flag and see a beer so great that he forgets trying to overthrow the government.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 1, 2014

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I have no idea why, but that PSA linked in the last page made me laugh my rear end off. I guess it's the timing of her line delivery combined with the in-your-face quality of it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Paradox Personified posted:

I have no idea why, but that PSA linked in the last page made me laugh my rear end off. I guess it's the timing of her line delivery combined with the in-your-face quality of it.

also the way in the gif that the guy in the back doesn't even begin to react to it so it looks like he's just ignoring it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vicas posted:

also the way in the gif that the guy in the back doesn't even begin to react to it so it looks like he's just ignoring it

"Bitch got what she deserved."

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Vicas posted:

Happens all the time, man.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paradox Personified posted:

Isn't this exactly the reason that most restaurant kitchens have all sorts of no-slip padding on the floors, require no-slip shoes, and that sort of thing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the actual ad is uncomfortable because it lingers on the victim being in howling unimaginable pain, but as a gif that's just funny.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, the actual ad is uncomfortable because it lingers on the victim being in howling unimaginable pain, but as a gif that's just funny.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.

Yeah, after that shot, the Guy in the background runs to her aid as the camera centers on her sizzling hands and face. It's some well done practical effects, I'll give them that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With PSAs like that I'm always conflicted. Is it ethical to bring important issues and matters of public safety to greater attention if you're basically forcing brutal and potential PTSD-triggering stuff on an unsuspecting audience? It may well be the most effective way to do it so that complicates things- if you can prevent actual harm that's a good thing but it's so hard to say for sure.

None of this applies to commercial stuff like Life Alert, though. They can go gently caress themselves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really don't get what's supposed to be so great about a curved TV.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Isn't this exactly the reason that most restaurant kitchens have all sorts of no-slip padding on the floors, require no-slip shoes, and that sort of thing?

Yes, but many don't because they're awful. This ad was to get people using that kind of thing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

muscles like this? posted:

I really don't get what's supposed to be so great about a curved TV.

The stated reason is that TVs have now gotten so big that when you watch from any angle other than straight on it distorts the picture. Your brain can compensate but it takes some effort and looks weird. With curved TVs you get a bigger "sweet spot" where the picture looks perfect, and it's easier for people outside of that sweet spot to adjust. It also reduces light glare.

The real reason for this "this is huge" ad campagin is because ever since HD electronics makers have been looking for and failing to find the next game changer. That's why 3D was gonna change the world, that's why Smart TVs were gonna change the world, that's why curved TVs are gonna change the world. In a similar light, they're using that first adopter cred to push the insane prices on these things. Now that you can buy a 55" for like $700, you gotta have something that lets you charge $9000 for a TV

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I bought a 75" Samsung smart LED TV 3 days ago for $2,200 bucks. I'm pretty goddamn thrilled. It was last year's model, and was a floor model (that didn't come with a box or any literature/instructions), which explained why it was so cheap. But I insisted they run a BluRay demo on it to make sure there weren't any picture problems, and there weren't, so I immediately bought that bad boy. It gets delivered tomorrow. It will replace the 58 inch plasma I bought 4 years ago (which was also a floor model; original price was 2,800 bucks; I got it for 1,400).

The moral of this story is "Never buy new technology right away."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I never buy a TV for more than $500 and I'm currently up to a 47" 3D TV right now. (The 3D is nice for the odd movie / game where the effects are actually well done.) I think back to about 10 years ago when a friend of mine spent thousands to get the first models of one of those big-screen TVs that weighed like a thousand pounds and laugh occasionally.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The only problem is that today's TVs are pretty much disposable; all the big brand names have been licensed and everything is the same cheap crappy parts and workmanship, so you can get a huge TV for a couple hundred bucks but it will break in just a few years and repairing them is so expensive that you just chuck it and buy a new one. And even if it miraculously keeps working then they're gonna stop supporting it so you're gonna be SOL for the smart features (see: old Rokus that don't support profiles or subtitles with Netflix).

Your old Trinitron may have weighed a ton but it would last you forever and it didn't send your viewing habits to the manufacturer without your consent. :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't get NBC sports unless I borrow a cable box, so I have to listen to the Kings on the radio.

I am really getting pissed off with the budweiser ads about being a Kings fan. It's so loving obsequious. Hey guys I know some Kings trivia, buy our lovely beer.

Also the coke commercial.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Almost all commercials geared towards fans of a specific or team drive me up the loving wall. But you're not allowed to be annoyed, you're a Kings fan. Personally I hate the one that airs for some ticketing service. Don't remember if it's for ticketmaster proper or stubhub or some other reseller. Airs on the radio every on 660AM during Devils games, though I'm sure they have a flavor for it for every sport.

Drives me up the goddamned wall.

Resident Hero
Sep 27, 2005

The preciousness of invention lies in the lonely mind of a man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZD0Zl4bJ0

Do these people even know what moonshine is?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Resident Hero posted:

"The sweet taste of moonshine" really should answer that question.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Resident Hero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZD0Zl4bJ0

They sell "moonshine" in liquor stores down in Kentucky. The fact that they're in liquor stores leads me to believe that it's just whiskey that hasn't been aged.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

They sell "moonshine" in liquor stores down in Kentucky. The fact that they're in liquor stores leads me to believe that it's just whiskey that hasn't been aged.

They sell "moonshine" in goddamn Walmarts now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The person making your moonshine has more than 4 teeth you are not drinking moonshine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The only problem is that today's TVs are pretty much disposable; all the big brand names have been licensed and everything is the same cheap crappy parts and workmanship, so you can get a huge TV for a couple hundred bucks but it will break in just a few years and repairing them is so expensive that you just chuck it and buy a new one.

Yea I got a 50" plasma in 2009 or 2010 I think and it started getting black lines around summer of last year. Now? It looks like the top 16th of the TV is letterboxed. I'll have to get a new TV. It's such bullshit that I'm considering going against my principles and getting an extended warranty.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

vyst posted:

The person making your moonshine has more than 4 teeth you are not drinking moonshine.

This poo poo is truth, real moonshine tastes like stagnant water and smells like decay.

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 2, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Getting really tired of the Gary Oldman HTC commercials.

Right? loving right?!
Only tools research things before they buy them. Be the cool kid and buy our phone sight unseen.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I asked a co-worker what kind of booze he wanted for his birthday. He said 'Moonshine.' I almost asked him if he wanted Vodka or potato-whiskey instead.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doctor Butts posted:

It's such bullshit that I'm considering going against my principles and getting an extended warranty.

I bought a 42" LCD TV in 2009 for $725 and I paid $60 for the extended warranty. Good thing because the TV went kaput EXACTLY one day after the factory warranty expired. Seriously, the TV was fine when I went to bed and when I got up the next day - nothing. I still have the replacement.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tardcore posted:

"The sweet taste of moonshine" really should answer that question.

Plus having it anywhere near an open flame.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Acquire Currency! posted:

Right? loving right?!
Only tools research things before they buy them. Be the cool kid and buy our phone sight unseen.
Isn't the point of those commercials that you shouldn't believe marketing and do research on your own? Or are you making fun of muscles like this? for getting tired of the commercial in the first place?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea I got a 50" plasma in 2009 or 2010 I think and it started getting black lines around summer of last year. Now? It looks like the top 16th of the TV is letterboxed. I'll have to get a new TV. It's such bullshit that I'm considering going against my principles and getting an extended warranty.

Or, just don't buy a plasma since there have been superior alternatives for years now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"Frozen. How Fresh Stays Fresh."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhRA8Mk6xE

This is so :psyduck: I don't even know what to say. You can't say something means some other thing that it does not mean!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

raditts posted:

"Frozen. How Fresh Stays Fresh."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhRA8Mk6xE

This is so :psyduck: I don't even know what to say. You can't say something means some other thing that it does not mean!

The American Frozen Food Institute is, uh, a pretty odd lobby. As far as I can tell it was founded in 2011. Wikipedia lists its subsidiaries as such:

Alliance for Listeriosis Prevention
Food Industry Environmental Council
Frozen Food Foundation
National Yogurt Association
National Frozen Pizza Institute
Texas-Mexico Frozen Food Council

Who the gently caress makes frozen Tex Mex

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicas posted:

I assume that would cover all of those frozen taquitos and chimichangas I see.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Vicas posted:

The American Frozen Food Institute is, uh, a pretty odd lobby. As far as I can tell it was founded in 2011. Wikipedia lists its subsidiaries as such:

Alliance for Listeriosis Prevention
Food Industry Environmental Council
Frozen Food Foundation
National Yogurt Association
National Frozen Pizza Institute
Texas-Mexico Frozen Food Council

There's a National Frozen Pizza Institute....and I've not been named to the Board of Directors?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
You'd think America would have been sold on the concept of frozen food at this point.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Somebody mentioned Life Alert earlier. One of the Life Alert commercials has one of my favorite moments in any commercial: an elderly man and wife are sitting next to one another. In the standard slow, old woman voice she says "I would give up...*anything*...to keep using Life Alert."

And the old man gives her this look like "drat baby that's cold!"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm really proud of you for being an algebra teacher, mom.

KidsLoveDegrees.com KidsLoveDegrees.com KidsLoveDegrees.com KidsLoveDegrees.com!

gently caress off with this poo poo, thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What the gently caress? Motherfucking PSYCHIC phone line commercials are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress? Motherfucking PSYCHIC phone line commercials are back.

As much as I hate this kind of woo I kind of feel bad for Miss Cleo, she only made a few thousand for appearing in infomercials that made hundreds of millions of dollars.