Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
also a quiet life at the ski lodge doesn't make for much of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Blood Harvest Moon.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Walking Dead Pinball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8TVLfS8SM

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jabby posted:

He goes on a bit of a rant at one point about how he wants someone to pass everything on to who can grow up to be another great leader. He also seems like the kind of person who would go after the group just to teach his people that leaving is not an option.

See I actually quite like this. In a real apocalypse scenario it's not like someone is going to pop out from the bushes at some point to say 'You Win! Now proceed to live happily ever after.' The zombie and bandit-infested world is all there is. There aren't any goals except those you set for yourself, and they have a tendency to keep getting hosed up.

Season 1 had a goal though. By this point in Season 1 we knew we were going to Savannah but with Carver gone 2 is out of a purpose.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

Season 1 had a goal though. By this point in Season 1 we knew we were going to Savannah but with Carver gone 2 is out of a purpose.
As we've stated before the focus of the season is what kind of person Clem is going to be and how she's going to live. I think the last two episodes are just going to be them trying to survive and seeking any kind of permanent shelter they can find, possibly Wellington. Ultimately Clem's probably going to have to make a decision about what she wants to do from then on, i.e. ditching the new group due to their weakness like Jane hints it or sticking with them.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean if you ignore the last episode the goal was always Go north and ,dependng on what you said, find Christa

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What in the living gently caress

I guess it's traditional that every successful media thing gets a pinball game, but I'm still surprised every time it happens

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

As we've stated before the focus of the season is what kind of person Clem is going to be and how she's going to live. I think the last two episodes are just going to be them trying to survive and seeking any kind of permanent shelter they can find, possibly Wellington. Ultimately Clem's probably going to have to make a decision about what she wants to do from then on, i.e. ditching the new group due to their weakness like Jane hints it or sticking with them.

Season 1 had that as well (it wasn't just Save Clem, but also determining what kind of person Lee was going to be to accomplish that goal.) There's the plot and the character building around that plot, something which TWAU has as well (the overall story and roleplaying Bigby.)

I mean, by episode 3 of both TWD season 1 and TWAU we both saw where the story was going. But season 2?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Season 1 did have a goal, but what I was saying is that in the scenario of a zombie apocalypse having clear goals can start to feel contrived, as some people said about Lee's bite or Clem's kidnapping. The real horror comes from not having a goal, and the realisation that trudging around an incredibly lovely world waiting to get picked off is all you have to look forward to.

Take Christa's plan to head north for example. Apparently because cold slows the walkers down. Never mind that walkers are pretty drat slow anyway, or that 90% of your problems are invariably caused by the living. Or that surviving in a cold climate is almost certainly going to be harder. It's fairly obviously a rubbish plan, just like the idea of getting on a boat in Season 1. Even the characters probably know how rubbish it is, it just beats having nothing to live for. I'm perfectly happy for TellTale to abandon it since it just shows how pointless trying to have a clear goal in that situation is.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can get into a game loosening off the whole clearly laid out story progression when uncertainty actually fits the situation well. Like other people have said we still have the overall progression of Clem as a character, and if TellTale showed anything with Season 1 it's that they value the journey a lot more than the destination.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The goal now seems to be regroup and find Sarah. Does it need to be more complicated?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It feels too much like a soap opera to me, where the goals are constantly changing and without a large overarching goal it feels sort of pointless. It's just my personal feelings though it's not that I can measure season 1 as objectively better.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

RagnarokAngel posted:

It feels too much like a soap opera to me, where the goals are constantly changing and without a large overarching goal it feels sort of pointless. It's just my personal feelings though it's not that I can measure season 1 as objectively better.

I kind of like it since that's how things would realistically go, just stumbling from one hosed up situation to another. It also makes me like old beardy even more since he always tries to come up with a concrete goal even if it's sometimes ill advised.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

RagnarokAngel posted:

just need to kill off a few more characters

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Pharmaskittle posted:

What in the living gently caress

I guess it's traditional that every successful media thing gets a pinball game, but I'm still surprised every time it happens

I've heard rumours about a real life pinball based on the walking dead comics. nice

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dogen posted:

The goal now seems to be regroup and find Sarah. Does it need to be more complicated?

Does anyone actually care about finding Sarah? Let's include both living people who play the game and the fictional characters (now that Carlos is dead.)

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

monster on a stick posted:

Does anyone actually care about finding Sarah? Let's include both living people who play the game and the fictional characters (now that Carlos is dead.)

Yes. I don't really understand why people vehemently hate her. She's deadweight, sure, but she has issues and could learn to get over them. She's also an interesting foil to Clem, I think.

Now for characters in-game, I don't think anyone except maybe the player's clem has any attachment for her other than the symbolic attachment of "she's innocent and we must protect her".

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

monster on a stick posted:

I care! I kind of feel for Sarah, she's a fairly normal person who's stuck in the Walking Dead world where everyone, including Clem, is crazy.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I care because I don't want clem to be the only kid in this crazy world. I'm already letting her go off the rails, she needs a friend.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

laplace posted:

Now for characters in-game, I don't think anyone except maybe the player's clem has any attachment for her other than the symbolic attachment of "she's innocent and we must protect her".

Considering what this group has done to Clem I'm not expecting childhood innocence to get Sarah very far now Carlos is gone.

Of the new guys I would normally expect Kenny and Sarita to be most likely to risk themselves to help, but given what happened in the last few seconds I think they will have too much on their minds. Jane is clearly only out for herself.

Personally I think whether or not Clem pushes people to find Sarah is going to be one of the first decisions of the next episode.

Here's a question. Would Lee want Clem to risk her life to try and save another child?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Depends how you played your Lee. Mine tried to do right by people, even with their failings. Being down on Sarah just because she's a sheltered child is hellish harsh, feels a bit too Kenny like railing on people for perceived failings. She'll tough up.

Or get eaten I guess.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think lee would try to help. I got everybody coming to help me find clem and now as clem I realise I play her much like my lee, internalising the lesson so to speak.

Can you do a silent clem run?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You can, I'm doing one to follow on from my Silent Lee run. One thing I remember is that at the end of the Silent Lee run if you don't make the last choice in time Clem decides herself. Which is pretty neat.

Silent Clem is creepy as hell. She has learned well.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Fans posted:

You can, I'm doing one to follow on from my Silent Lee run. One thing I remember is that at the end of the Silent Lee run if you don't make the last choice in time Clem decides herself. Which is pretty neat.

Speaking of which, no matter how I played Lee throughout the season, I could never get Clem to choose to shoot Lee herself. The developers say that it is is possible, but Clem has always decided to leave Lee if it I didn't explicitly command her to kill him.

Does anyone know what choices influence whether she kills Lee or not?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

In It For The Tank posted:

Does anyone know what choices influence whether she kills Lee or not?

I think you have to Kill Larry and always side with Kenny afterwards.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I let the butterfly fly away. What happens if you try to catch it?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Fans posted:

I think you have to Kill Larry and always side with Kenny afterwards.

Woof I used to have this written down! It's a little more complicated than that but I can't remember the specifics. Has to do with stealing the food, shooting the girl outside the drug store (which I guess is a Kenny thing?) and a couple other things as well. I can't remember if you have to do the majority of stuff or all of it to swing things.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Die Laughing posted:

I let the butterfly fly away. What happens if you try to catch it?
You put your hand up near it and it flies away anyway, then the game moves on to the scene at the truck.

ja2ke posted:

Woof I used to have this written down! It's a little more complicated than that but I can't remember the specifics. Has to do with stealing the food, shooting the girl outside the drug store (which I guess is a Kenny thing?) and a couple other things as well. I can't remember if you have to do the majority of stuff or all of it to swing things.
In general, were relationships in the Walking Dead, or at least the first season which you can speak to, as complicated as they made them seem or did it basically come down to a couple big decision points? I know the Kenny relationship seemed to be the most complicated, just going by everyone's experiences with him, but I always wonder about the smaller ones.

Because that's kinda how it's seeming with the current season, that what you say throughout the game doesn't seem to make that much difference and it ends up coming down to the Big Decisions. Like whether you tell the guy at the ski lodge that Nate is just like everyone else, then he lets him get eaten, otherwise he lives, no matter what your interaction was with either of them before that. And another example, with Rebecca in this season, it doesn't seem to matter at all what you say to her in episode 1 and 2, their relationship just seems to start off with a clean slate in 3. So I don't know if that stuff is getting cut down from the way it was in season 1, or if it was even all that complex in the first place.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Is anyone else playing Clem much more manipulatively and heartless than Lee? I tried so hard to be a good dad, but drat it, she has to grow up sometime.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I definitely played Lee as a really nice and honest guy and I'm being a lot more manipulative or withholding with Clem.

Definitely watched while Carver got his face bashed in and I kind of wish Clem had a chance to get some parting blows in. You fuckers do not kill Kumail Nanjiani!

Also I did not hesitate at all to chop off Sarita's arm.

I'm wondering, does helping Pete change Nick's attitude at all in the story?

Season 2 somehow looks and feels better than season 1 and I love it, the only thing that bugged me is the part where you have to shoot things and you run out of ammo and it took me several deaths before I just spammed the trigger while my gun was empty until a cutscene was triggered. I hate it when they do shooting parts in this game because it controls poorly and really doesn't add to the experience.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Snipee posted:

Is anyone else playing Clem much more manipulatively and heartless than Lee? I tried so hard to be a good dad, but drat it, she has to grow up sometime.

If anything I'm playing Clem as a bit kinder than my "I have to do this poo poo for the kids" Lee. She's trying to look after Sarah and tries to have fun now and then.

It never works out, but that's Walking Dead for you. The only consistent thing is misery.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Yeah, in my game Lee was attached to the old world value of talking things out. Clem has grown up in this lovely world and understands when talking just plain doesn't work.

That being said, Clem is essentially a Lawful Neutral decisionmaker in my game. She is vaguely benevolent to people in an attempt to keep herself a neutral party but won't hesitate to Chop an arm off or leave a bitten man to die if pressed to make a decision.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The biggest similarity I run between my Lee and my Clem is that they are both really honest. Talking just plain doesn't work with a lot of people in this world (Carver), but lying works even less often because a proper lie relies on all parties involved in perpetrating the lie understanding the score.

I simply don't remember the last time there was a proper and durable understanding between two characters. Lies never last for that reason. No sense in throwing bad faith after bad actions, in that case.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 11, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't generally tell outright lies (well I did to Carver in the house), but I do a lot of lies by omission or changing the subject.

I know that a lot of the plot chains kind of end up in the same place, but I like to think that Clem did a good job in manipulating Bonnie by never outright asking her to betray Carver, but instead telling her about Reggie's murder and then letting Clem get beat up by Carver's lackey and her machinations contributed to the plan's success.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've said before that I think there's an interesting kind of continuity going on by having the player play both Lee and Clementine. Some people play Lee as a saint and then try to play Clementine as good as she can be, and in their head that's because Lee taught Clementine well. Others have Clementine harden up, and think about how Clem's had to learn that on her own without Lee around. Or maybe they played Lee as a hardass from the start and playing Clem as a hardass is what Lee taught her.

The game doesn't need to come out and make that kind of judgment for you, it forms organically in the player's mind. I don't know if it's something Telltale considered with the second season but you definitely see it pop up a lot in this thread.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Would someone mind pming me the leaked spoilers? I don't care about spoilers and I'm curious and Google is failing me at the moment.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
That makes a lot of sense. Lee lived in a world where resolving your problems through violence was guaranteed to end badly. Clem's formative years were spent running from human and undead monsters and watching everyone she knows suffer and die.

1st AD posted:

Season 2 somehow looks and feels better than season 1 and I love it, the only thing that bugged me is the part where you have to shoot things and you run out of ammo and it took me several deaths before I just spammed the trigger while my gun was empty until a cutscene was triggered. I hate it when they do shooting parts in this game because it controls poorly and really doesn't add to the experience.

Yes! :argh: , I remember the motel scene from the first season had that exact same problem.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Would someone mind pming me the leaked spoilers? I don't care about spoilers and I'm curious and Google is failing me at the moment.

They're likely not real. They read heavily like speculation based on the achievement names.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How much does Season 2 take from Season 1 saves? Played through the first season on the 360 and was planning on waiting until the whole thing was out before I bought it but now my 360 has gone up the creek. Could just get it on PC in the Steam sale now but then I wouldn't have the saves.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

thebardyspoon posted:

How much does Season 2 take from Season 1 saves? Played through the first season on the 360 and was planning on waiting until the whole thing was out before I bought it but now my 360 has gone up the creek. Could just get it on PC in the Steam sale now but then I wouldn't have the saves.
Clementine says some things in the dialogue every now and then about things that happened in season 1, normally about Lee, but otherwise nothing too much comes into play right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Just picked up season 2 in the steam sale and played through the first three episodes:

STILL. NOT. BITTEN. was a fantastic moment. I'd seen the words in the thread title and when I got that dialogue option I was all gently caress yeah. Now let me out of this loving shed you assholes.

I knew episode three was going to be good right at the start when my tough-as-nails Clem immediately decided to stare down the villain only to get a massive back-hand for it. poo poo just got real.

gently caress Bonnie. Bonnie the first time I met you we gave you a shitload of food and you came back with the rest of your armed thugs, killed two of us and took the rest prisoner. Now you're still holding us prisoner, forcing us to do slave labour, and on top of all that you somehow think you can be my friend. It's not going to happen. The only decision here is do I give you the silent treatment or an insult while looking for an opportunity to take you out.

I took it as obvious that Reggie's arm had been chopped off as punishment for helping the group, and he'd since been basically broken and would do anything to get himself back in Carver's good graces. As such he was a liability and I dobbed him in first chance I got.

I have a soft spot for Sarah and Clem knows she has to look after her despite Clem being younger, but she will also tell her to toughen up whenever necessary (control the pain bitch!).

I generally can't stand Kenny (last season Lee backed him up almost constantly only for him to turn around and spew some poo poo about Lee not having been there for him, are you loving kidding me), but although he's a hot-tempered idiot/manchild he was still a friend which is pretty hard to come by these days. So Clem would often support him and be on his side, but also wouldn't hold back from telling him to calm the gently caress down when he freaked out over nothing or proposed a suicidal plan (both of which were pretty common occurences). He really came through when he took that beating for Clem and that earned him his first hug.

Overall great season so far. The scene in the house with Carver was insanely tense (I tried to tell him we were a huge group with dozens of dozens of people), Christa resenting Clem was both awful and understandable, the stitching scene and its climax was awesome. And before I forget gently caress you Alvin. I didn't have much of a read on his character until that fat gently caress sat down and put a little girl on point, not minutes later tried to get her to help steal some food and lie about it to the group, and then I knew exactly what kind of person he was. Given how hefty he is it wouldn't surprise me if some of the food he steals for his pregnant girlfriend also makes its way to his belly as well.

• Locked thread