Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

You should watch Buried or The Descent. :twisted:

+1 for The Descent. In fact, I feel like watching it right now myself :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

New Hercules trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uro03xQwrA

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It sounds like they're saying "MERCURY'S!" so I'm calling :wow:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Transformers 4 Russian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKE7AbB5lE

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

It looks passable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dwayne Johnson is one of the most charismatic stars alive so let's put him into a story where he only needs to shout and scowl.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that movie looks like boring poo poo and he's wasted. He was amazing in Pain & Gain and now he's in this poo poo. The man is legit - give him something good.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, that movie looks like boring poo poo and he's wasted. He was amazing in Pain & Gain and now he's in this poo poo. The man is legit - give him something good.

Didn't you know everyone was clamoring for the sequel to Scorpion King?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nybble posted:

Didn't you know everyone was clamoring for the sequel to Scorpion King?

I'm pretty sure The Scorpion King had a sequel, a prequel, and a reboot.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
But not with The Rock himself! Those don't count :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What was the last big action movie to do well that was just "a big guy beats stuff up for an hour and a half"? The genre obviously peaked in the 90s and nowadays we expect a more than just a guy being buff as gently caress to carry a movie, what was the swansong for that era? Rocky Balboa?.

Great story about the production of that and them filming the final fight during an actual boxing PPV:

quote:

Stallone was hoping that the crowd wouldn't boo or cause any problems, but as he made his way to the ring (as Rocky), the whole building gave him a standing ovation and began to chant 'ROCKY, ROCKY'. The crowd was never told to stand up or to chant - they had done it completely on their own, and according to the filmmakers, by far the biggest cheer of the night was for Rocky, not for any of the real fighters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Outside of Dwayne Johnson you don't really see a lot of actors with that build anymore. Nowadays action stars going for a more defined look and not really size.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm not sure which thread it was in, but someone mentioned that these days it's pretty easy for an actor to bulk up quickly (pills) and learn just enough karate* so you don't see bodybuilders and martial artists being cast like we used to.

* maybe it was the martial arts cinems thread?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everybody loves Rocky. If you don't love Rocky you can just :frogout:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

No thanks with that schmaltz, it's all about Rambo. I wish they'd forget these Expendable movies and just having an aging Stallone massacre people gruesomely in exotic locales (:911:).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

Unironically I love every single Rocky movie.

DGAF if you disagree - they are all entertaining and great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vintersorg posted:

Unironically I love every single Rocky movie.

DGAF if you disagree - they are all entertaining and great.

Best moment in any Rocky movie: Rocky II, Mick shows up at Rocky's door after Apollo's interview. "I SAY WE KNOCK HIS BLOCK OFF."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I actually think the best Rocky moment in all the movies didn't even have Rocky in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutS7C7WQSc

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo posted:

I actually think the best Rocky moment in all the movies didn't even have Rocky in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutS7C7WQSc

Nah:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The gently caress is wrong with all of you. The training montage in Rocky IV defines the franchise.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Rocky 4 is awful. The best moment in the Rockys is when he's standing in the arena before the first Creed fight bummed that they painted the wrong color shorts on his banner.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

penismightier posted:

Rocky 4 is awful. The best moment in the Rockys is when he's standing in the arena before the first Creed fight bummed that they painted the wrong color shorts on his banner.

Rocky 3-5 are pretty bad, sure. That doesn't mean they don't contain some of the best parts of all the films though. "Hearts on Fire" is the poo poo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

teagone posted:

Rocky 3-5 are pretty bad, sure. That doesn't mean they don't contain some of the best parts of all the films though. "Hearts on Fire" is the poo poo.

Ok good point, but Rocky 5's got nothinggggggg.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The two training songs from Rocky 4 define the franchise. loving best poo poo ever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rocky 5 has Tommy Morrison getting his rear end kicked with Streetfighter moves. Just sayin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

No thanks with that schmaltz, it's all about Rambo. I wish they'd forget these Expendable movies and just having an aging Stallone massacre people gruesomely in exotic locales (:911:).

I'm assuming the difference between the two is that he owns the rights to the Expendables characters.

Also I just found out that Mel Gibson's character in Expendables 3 is named "Conrad Stonebanks."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
On what planet is Rocky IV bad? That movie's goddamn amazing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

teagone posted:

Whoa, Rocky 3 is bad? You take that back right now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

Rocky 4 is awesome for the training sequence and "If he dies, he dies."

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 5, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Whoa, Rocky 3 is bad? You take that back right now.

It's bad only because Hulk Hogan is in it. Otherwise I'd call it good.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

teagone posted:

teagone status:

[ ] Real American
[x] Not a Real American

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I just watched all 6 Rocky movies again for the first time in quite a few years. Rocky 3 and 4 have not aged extremely well, but they will always hold a place in my heart. I used to think Rocky 5 was alright, but man it really is complete garbage.

Anybody watch the director's cut of Rocky 5 that was leaked out? I hear it's quite a bit better, but don't know if I can stomach watching it so soon after watching the standard cut.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

zandert33 posted:

Rocky 3 and 4 have not aged extremely well

Neither has Tommy Morrison.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Rocky 4 hasn't aged very well but that's precisely why it loving owns. It's a perfect time capsule of 1985 America.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I totally forgot Rocky 5 existed before catching up here. My brain has been skipping from 4 to Balboa for years apparently. :psyduck:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
What about Rocky 7, Adrian's Revenge?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shhhh Sly has excellent hearing and he'll do it by god.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Hulk Hogan wasn't actually famous yet when he filmed his scene.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Corek posted:

Hulk Hogan wasn't actually famous yet when he filmed his scene.

Why would him being famous have anything to do with why I think he makes the movie bad? I wasn't born when Rocky 3 was released, I saw it for the first time when I was maybe 6 or 7? Which would have been in the early 90s. Part of why I thought/think Rocky 3 was bad was because the guy (Hogan) from No Holds Barred was in it, who at the time, was a wrestler I disliked because I was an ULTIMATE WARRIOR fan and WrestleMania 6 was loving awesome for the 5 year old version of me, so anything Hogan was involved with I pretty much thought sucked. This line of thinking carried over into adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If The Ultimate Warrior's so great, why's he dead? :smugbert:

• Locked thread