Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

SL the Pyro posted:

So I won't be touching that recipe again until there's a fix done for this or I find a way to make that not happen. Which sucks, because I really liked my Spinthrower...

Spin 2 Win

No for real though, there should be a medal for crashing the server, because once they've played long enough, most people figure out a new way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Aye I thought AI turrets couldn't target the wizard.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

No, they target wizards perfectly fine. (Unless the wizard teleported into a wall.)

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Encountered uqibite shovel + RIG suit twice today. Got the shovel away both times, but only after the guy in question had killed most of the station and put me in crit with missing limbs. It's kinda overpowered.

Protip: Don't try to put the thing in a backpack, it explodes instead. Throwing it also makes it explode.

Anybody know how the RIG suit compares to bohrum armor?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Cool I really love stories about idiots getting banned and going off to bug other servers with poo poo that'd get them banned from goon (again)

Honestly, if a crew member started reading horrible fic you should just be able to kill them/knock them out and steal their headset.

A (perma) ban is pretty dumb for something that minor. Its fic, you've been on the internet, most people reading awful fic know its awful and are doing it to get a reaction, which is usually hilarious.

So react and beat in their head until their voicebox doesn't work anymore. I'm sure they'll laugh with you.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I have personally witnessed someone reading out popular and best selling erotic fanfiction 'Woody's got wood' while the entire station descended into a man-hunt / blood frenzy to find and kill the perpetrator.

Though I have no doubt Clockwork would ban for that because he's a massive bitch.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Motherfucker posted:

I have personally witnessed someone reading out popular and best selling erotic fanfiction 'Woody's got wood' while the entire station descended into a man-hunt / blood frenzy to find and kill the perpetrator.

Though I have no doubt Clockwork would ban for that because he's a massive bitch.

You don't get banned for killing creeps or animes. You can pretty much take them apart limb by limb and people will cheer at you.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Donnerberg posted:

You don't get banned for killing creeps or animes. You can pretty much take them apart limb by limb and people will cheer at you.

For the reading, not the murdering.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Chances are if the majority of players staffed in a station are pissed off at and highly irritated with people reading ERP over the radio, the admins will be too.

Who knew? :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If I was an admin I'd mos def punish someone for spamming inappropriate adult poo poo because that's creepy, lovely, and expressly against the rules, all at the same time! I guess that makes me a massive bitch.

For a player that was normally pretty okay I would think a moderately severe but non-permanent "never do that again you loving twit" punishment would be in order if they responded well and were apologetic. For a Motherfucker though yeah I would completely sympathize with a decision to ban :v:

If you're gonna do the dumb adult fiction thing, at least go ironically meta-classy and use the James Joyce fart letters. You might still get yelled at and banned for being a moron rear end in a top hat but at least a few people will get a hearty laugh out of it. Or better yet, find something non-bannable to torture the crew with, like the lyrics to Call Me Maybe or somesuch. I know that would drive me to lunacy after a while.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Donnerberg posted:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or better yet, find something non-bannable to torture the crew with, like the lyrics to Call Me Maybe or somesuch. I know that would drive me to lunacy after a while.

Die a glorious death: Succeeded

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

Honestly, if a crew member started reading horrible fic you should just be able to kill them/knock them out and steal their headset.

If someone's going to spam stuff they know is going to piss people off, they'll usually hide in a locker first so no one can find them. This means admin intervention is pretty much required in the case of rule-violating spam.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I once made the AI's fourth law Molly Bloom's soliloquy from the end of Ulysses and everyone bitched about the "weird fanfiction law" until it got reset :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I gave an AI a law that included a couple of prominent Douglas Adams quotes (from Hitchhiker's Guide, not like, Dirk Gently or something) and the AI just had no idea what the hell I was referencing and attempted to play the law as straight as possible instead of being a whimsically chirpy cheerful elevator AI. I was so crushed that I drank myself half to death (and then crushed myself all the way to death, in the crusher) :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm not sure if it speaks well or poorly of you that you didn't rename the AI 'PHILISTINE' or something .

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Main Paineframe posted:

If someone's going to spam stuff they know is going to piss people off, they'll usually hide in a locker first so no one can find them. This means admin intervention is pretty much required in the case of rule-violating spam.

I'm not 100% familiar with how it works, but couldn't you just use the pinpointer to find them? There's one in the captain's office.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm not 100% familiar with how it works, but couldn't you just use the pinpointer to find them? There's one in the captain's office.

The pinpointer only shows the location of the Authentication Disk.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Better idea, since security has everyone's DNA on file, using the pinpointer in hand gives a menu in which you can enter it, and it will now point at that person. With a mode still for pointing at the disk. Or maybe a 1 crystal traitor item that will point at anyone on the station you choose, but looks like a regular pinpointer?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The pinpointer only shows the location of the Authentication Disk.

I must be thinking of something else then. Last round I played, I saw an item on the floor with a flashing arrow that pointed to me at all times. At the end of the round, there was a late joining traitor with the objective to kill me. Maybe it was a traitor item?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Traitors can buy a pinpointer that points to their targets.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

There's also one on the Syndicate listening station.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dabir posted:

Dang. It looked just like the pinpointer in the captains office. Maybe the HoP should get an item that points to people's IDs. Good for finding hiding targets, or for those who are lost in wierd places, but can be foiled by taking off your ID. Hell, you could place your ID along with a proxy sensor trap into, say, a locker and call for someone to come find you. The poor sap would certainly be in for a surprise.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

I must be thinking of something else then. Last round I played, I saw an item on the floor with a flashing arrow that pointed to me at all times. At the end of the round, there was a late joining traitor with the objective to kill me. Maybe it was a traitor item?

Traitors with a kill objective can buy a pinpointer that goes to the ID card of their target.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

If I was an admin I'd mos def punish someone for spamming inappropriate adult poo poo because that's creepy, lovely, and expressly against the rules, all at the same time! I guess that makes me a massive bitch.

For a player that was normally pretty okay I would think a moderately severe but non-permanent "never do that again you loving twit" punishment would be in order if they responded well and were apologetic. For a Motherfucker though yeah I would completely sympathize with a decision to ban :v:

If you're gonna do the dumb adult fiction thing, at least go ironically meta-classy and use the James Joyce fart letters. You might still get yelled at and banned for being a moron rear end in a top hat but at least a few people will get a hearty laugh out of it. Or better yet, find something non-bannable to torture the crew with, like the lyrics to Call Me Maybe or somesuch. I know that would drive me to lunacy after a while.

There's a voice clip on the server that used to get played sometimes of someone reading out erotic power ranger fanfiction so it'd be a bit hypocritical to ban someone for trying to annoy people by reading out bad fanfiction.

Also one time I was locked in a crate and spent 40 minutes extolling the virtues of the crate over the radio until someone cracked it open, screamed "SHUT UP" and lasered me 8 times.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Also one time I was locked in a crate and spent 40 minutes extolling the virtues of the crate over the radio until someone cracked it open, screamed "SHUT UP" and lasered me 8 times.

That owns.

I've never heard that sound file, mercifully.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Whatever happened to the SS13 remake? Website went down for maintenance and has been like that for almost a month.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Roman Fap [145.9] asks, "Why is there a skeleton with a Captain's Hat screaming at me?"

ss13.txt

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Roman Fap [145.9] asks, "Why is there a skeleton with a Captain's Hat screaming at me?"

ss13.txt

As the Chaplain/Skeleton in that round, I really did have a fun time going over with the crew what the hard parts about SKIN SKIIIN EAT THE SKIN TEAR THE SKIN SKIIIIIIIN

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 5, 2014

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I was the AI that round and one of the traitors renamed me 'supercop nerd' about halfway through, which was totally justified since I was probably being a huge pain in the rear end, but I'm not going to act like it didn't make me feel a little lovely.

I love AI, it's super fun sometimes, but making a traitors's job harder is something I'm never really sure if I'm taking too far. I mean, there's this nebulous area between "ignore murder" and "BOLT AND ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING," and somewhere in there is being a good AI.

It's like, I want to do my job, but I'm sure as poo poo not going to do stuff like permanently bolt them into a walled room or turn the turrets to lethal. Hell, most of the time I don't say a drat word when someone enters the upload; I'm hoping for a cool law.

I guess what I'm asking is if there's a middle ground between letting antagonists run amok and being a fun ruiner?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I usually just ignored traitors unless they were being extremely overt or some nerd gave me a law forcing me to play supercop. About the most I'd do was make vague comments about what traitors were doing, like paging a janitor to clean up the mess left behind by cloaked crushers the mechanics set up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ellbent posted:

I was the AI that round and one of the traitors renamed me 'supercop nerd' about halfway through, which was totally justified since I was probably being a huge pain in the rear end, but I'm not going to act like it didn't make me feel a little lovely.

I love AI, it's super fun sometimes, but making a traitors's job harder is something I'm never really sure if I'm taking too far. I mean, there's this nebulous area between "ignore murder" and "BOLT AND ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING," and somewhere in there is being a good AI.

It's like, I want to do my job, but I'm sure as poo poo not going to do stuff like permanently bolt them into a walled room or turn the turrets to lethal. Hell, most of the time I don't say a drat word when someone enters the upload; I'm hoping for a cool law.

I guess what I'm asking is if there's a middle ground between letting antagonists run amok and being a fun ruiner?

I usually go easy on traitors, at least in proportion to how stealthy they're trying to be. If they're spawning their items or killing someone in a dark maintenance corridor, I'll usually ignore it and maybe broadcast the location of the corpse a couple minutes later. If someone's being violent in the halls or a department, or doing something really obvious like walling off a hall or dragging a plasma canister to medbay, I might give a vague report of the situation over the radio but not give any names. If someone's going full-on murderous rampage, though, I'll announce their name and location and loadout and send the securitrons after them.

Of course, if someone orders me to track the antag and report their location, Law 2 applies and I have no choice but to do so.

I.H.I.Y.C.
May 10, 2014

Look behind you
Yeah, sometimes vague comments is the best way to go to hint at a traitor without ruining the day for them. Don't want to be lovely and start shouting the antagonist's name 5 minutes in if you see them getting objects from their PDA. Let them have their fun too.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I usually go easy on traitors, at least in proportion to how stealthy they're trying to be. If they're spawning their items or killing someone in a dark maintenance corridor, I'll usually ignore it and maybe broadcast the location of the corpse a couple minutes later. If someone's being violent in the halls or a department, or doing something really obvious like walling off a hall or dragging a plasma canister to medbay, I might give a vague report of the situation over the radio but not give any names. If someone's going full-on murderous rampage, though, I'll announce their name and location and loadout and send the securitrons after them.

Of course, if someone orders me to track the antag and report their location, Law 2 applies and I have no choice but to do so.

Unless they're rampaging, I just send them a PDA message to the tune of "While it is not immediately obvious, blunt force trauma(OR INSERT TRAITORING/TRAITOR ITEM TYPE HERE) detracts from the safe and welcoming environment that Nanotrasen cultivates in all of its facilities. Have a nice day!"

Or if I've got a law, something related to that. I once had a law telling me to get the crew to wear hats and spent the entire round touting the traitor and other hat wearers as exemplars of crew safety and berating traitor victims for their gross disregard for protective headgear regulations. My PDA message to the traitor was a nice advisory that he should put on a helmet when working in toxins (incinerating his fellow scientist) or he might get hurt.

I'm definitely of the "ignore murder" school of thought (or vaguely mention it in passing afterwards, like asking people to go collect the body) as long as it's funny. As the AI, my goal is to dick around, grease the wheels on the station so things actually function without people hacking everything, and try to enable everyone's fun. A round with sneaky/inventive traitors is fun, so I ain't gonna gently caress with them unless they give me a reason to, or I get yelled at to. (And then I'll only do as good a job as I feel like/can get away with with my current laws.)

Felime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 5, 2014

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Here's my little personal rule for AI.

If I see a traitor, I ignore him until the 30m mark. By then, he has had every chance to come and subvert me or kill me, then I start messing with him. That's a pretty good rule I think

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kayle7 posted:

Here's my little personal rule for AI.

If I see a traitor, I ignore him until the 30m mark. By then, he has had every chance to come and subvert me or kill me, then I start messing with him. That's a pretty good rule I think

This is more or less what I do, unless there's someone going on an overt rampage, in which case, you obviously don't give a poo poo about stealth, so why should I care about revealing you? :v:

HipBEE
Apr 27, 2014
The way I play AI is to be as difficult as possible to everyone, if no one is trying or has tried to kill me 20 minutes in then I feel like I have failed my job.

the trick is to refuse to do things because they didn't word things correctly

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

New personal best! It got higher than this, around 190 PW, but I wasn't able to get a shot of it. After doing this I have no idea how the hell people hit the YW range, this burn went pretty much perfectly and this was about when I ran out of fuel. Also, this was like 90m into the round.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is there a good tutorial series for this like there is for dorf fortress? I love watching and reading about this poo poo but that ui is giving me more trouble than dorf fortresses :v:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Zaius posted:

New personal best! It got higher than this, around 190 PW, but I wasn't able to get a shot of it. After doing this I have no idea how the hell people hit the YW range, this burn went pretty much perfectly and this was about when I ran out of fuel. Also, this was like 90m into the round.

Try using a tank of the gas from the biodome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Nalesh posted:

Is there a good tutorial series for this like there is for dorf fortress? I love watching and reading about this poo poo but that ui is giving me more trouble than dorf fortresses :v:

There's an LP of it over in the Let's Play subforum that's a pretty good explanation of the different jobs.

• Locked thread