Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AG3 posted:

At least if you played the PC you could see some of the content made inaccessible by this simply by using a savegame editor to unlock the characters early. If only it was always that easy.

Actually I think you could on XBox too, but the whole process of editing the savegames was a bit more work.

It was a ton of work and having to explain it to someone over the phone was a real bitch... I went to PAX Prime last year and when I saw the bioware section... I just couldn't go near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AG3 posted:

At least if you played the PC you could see some of the content made inaccessible by this simply by using a savegame editor to unlock the characters early. If only it was always that easy.

Actually I think you could on XBox too, but the whole process of editing the savegames was a bit more work.

After my first playthrough of ME2 I always save-edited in Legion and took him everywhere. He has dialogue for pretty much every mission, which is normally inaccessible because he's only available late in the game.

Bringing him along for Tali's missions is always great.

THERE'S A GETH RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
A while ago it was announced there were possibly going to be two sets of environment art assets for the game - 720p and 1440p renders. I assume since this has not been mentioned since and that the quoted screen sizes have all been multiples of 1080p that there is now a single asset (or screen) size of 1080p?

ie: 5760x3240 = 3x3 area ; 13440x7560 = 7x7 area @ 1080p per screen.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sensuki posted:

A while ago it was announced there were possibly going to be two sets of environment art assets for the game - 720p and 1440p renders. I assume since this has not been mentioned since and that the quoted screen sizes have all been multiples of 1080p that there is now a single asset (or screen) size of 1080p?

ie: 5760x3240 = 3x3 area ; 13440x7560 = 7x7 area @ 1080p per screen.

I think rope kid posted a high res and low res mockup using Wyrmstooth from IWD here, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Ropekid, now that you're back from vacation can we get an answer on the "Closed doors" thing at E3? Will it be a "Press only" closed doors, or more like "Small groups taken from those waiting in line" closed doors?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Arzachel posted:

I think rope kid posted a high res and low res mockup using Wyrmstooth from IWD here, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

That information is from like December 2012. The quoted 'screen' size (thus asset size) is 1080p per screen in everything since (gdc talk, interviews, update 67).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GetWellGamers posted:

Ropekid, now that you're back from vacation can we get an answer on the "Closed doors" thing at E3? Will it be a "Press only" closed doors, or more like "Small groups taken from those waiting in line" closed doors?
It's scheduled press.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Nuts. Oh well, guess my tuesday morning is free, then.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

Nuts. Oh well, guess my tuesday morning is free, then.

Find Keith Apacari and see how you get banned from E3 for being literal Goofy.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Are we going to be in the dark regarding system requirements right up til release pretty much? I need to replace my laptop. :saddowns:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Are we going to be in the dark regarding system requirements right up til release pretty much? I need to replace my laptop. :saddowns:

I have a feeling that any laptop produced this decade could run PoE just fine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The reason we haven't heard anything about system requirements is that most likely the devs don't know either at this point. There's still a lot of optimization work to do. That said, I do think the intention was always to make something that could be played on a vast range of machines, so I doubt you'll have to replace your laptop.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Are you saying I could have skipped on getting a Crossfire 290x setup to run PoE? :v:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Don't worry, I'm sure someone will mod ENB for Pillars of Eternity at release while Boris complains that there's gays in the storyline and claims the lead designer is awful person, much much worse than boulders gate.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Are you saying I could have skipped on getting a Crossfire 290x setup to run PoE? :v:

I hope you sprang for the quad SLI.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

OT news: Chris Avellone apparently confirmed that he's signed on as creative lead on an unnamed project, and the Obsidian jobs page lists a senior producer position who must be familiar with multiple platforms. Plus Rope Kid was said to have been working on three IPs (presumable PoE + KS2 + ??), so one hopes that Obsidian are well on their way to making the kind of game that they set out to make.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you're referring to the recent podcast with MCA I don't think there was any mention of Rope Kid in it. One of the new IPs is probably Armored Warfare.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The IP stuff was courtesy of one of the Obsidz board's dependable news aggregators. Was Rope Kid working on Armored Warfare?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If you're referring to the recent podcast with MCA I don't think there was any mention of Rope Kid in it. One of the new IPs is probably Armored Warfare.

Yeah that's what I gathered. PE, Armored Warfare and the new Kickstarter most-likely. No mention of rope kid in the podcast. I wonder how much non-companion dialogue Chris will be doing for PE?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I don't see Pillars of Eternity in the E3 schedule. Does anyone know when it will be covered? Or is it one of the "surprise games"?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I bet it is a japanese style tentacle date rape simulator ~

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

pun pundit posted:

I don't see Pillars of Eternity in the E3 schedule. Does anyone know when it will be covered? Or is it one of the "surprise games"?

It's being shown privately to the press at Paradox's booth. I don't think we'll get something like a Gametrailer All-Access video focusing on it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basic Chunnel posted:

OT news: Chris Avellone apparently confirmed that he's signed on as creative lead on an unnamed project, and the Obsidian jobs page lists a senior producer position who must be familiar with multiple platforms. Plus Rope Kid was said to have been working on three IPs (presumable PoE + KS2 + ??), so one hopes that Obsidian are well on their way to making the kind of game that they set out to make.

Aw yeah, 'gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience' is go! :getin:

Gyshall posted:

I bet it is a japanese style tentacle date rape simulator ~

Let us pray this isn't the same thing :gonk:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's being shown privately to the press at Paradox's booth. I don't think we'll get something like a Gametrailer All-Access video focusing on it.

Yeah probably just reviews with new screens and such. They said they were gonna take some pictures at the event as well.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Basic Chunnel posted:

(presumable PoE + KS2 + ??)

KS2?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arcanum 2, with Tim Cain as project lead.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want Alpha Protocol 2. Just with a refined gameplay and better controls.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Furism posted:

I want Alpha Protocol 2. Just with a refined gameplay and better controls.

The problem with that has always been that it's difficult to get the kind of funding you'd need for a game like that. It's also more difficult to attract the nostalgia crowd with a project like that. I'd love for Obsidian to try and apply some of the Alpha Protocol lessons to a cheaper, less action-y title though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The problem with that has always been that it's difficult to get the kind of funding you'd need for a game like that. It's also more difficult to attract the nostalgia crowd with a project like that. I'd love for Obsidian to try and apply some of the Alpha Protocol lessons to a cheaper, less action-y title though.

I agree. I should have said "Alpha Protocol spiritual sequel." Could be heroic fantasy, could be sci-fi, I don't care.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Now unveiling our new IP, Omega Etiquette

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Disco Infiva posted:

Arcanum 2, with Tim Cain as project lead.

I despair that Journey to the Centre of Arcanum will ever be made. There are a lot of interesting stories to tell in that world , and the system it used had a lot of cool ideas, but Activision Blizzard owns the IP. And if you dump the setting you've lost quite a bit of the charm.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I want an Obsidian game version of Goldie Hawn's "Protocol." let this replace all fantasy game pitches especially "archer protocol" until the end of time thank you

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I haven't really been following this game closely is it still on track to be released this year?

Edit: Every time I come into this thread people are discussing other games so it doesn't make me too confident.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Don Mega posted:

Edit: Every time I come into this thread people are discussing other games so it doesn't make me too confident.

You're basing your confidence based on this thread rather than on the way the Kickstarter campaign is handled? Anyway, right now it'd seem like they're on track for a 2014 release, but until we get a solid date I'll only give it a 50/50. Most of similar-sized Kickstarter projects have been delayed, some multiple times.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Usually a game 6 months from release will have info to talk about is what I meant by that. Like I said though I am not following this closely so I could be completely wrong.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There have been something like 70 updates with plenty of gameplay info, screenshots and lore and the lead designer and project director posts here semi-constantly. So, uh, there is info?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Right now there isn't info because they're concentrating their efforts toward games journalists at E3 rather than post updates. When that's over I assume updates will resume, plus we will have articles from several gaming news sites to discuss.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

79 updates right now, but yeah they'll probablyh pick up again after E3. There is a poo poo ton of information if you're actually willing to look beyond this thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

epitasis posted:

I want an Obsidian game version of Goldie Hawn's "Protocol." let this replace all fantasy game pitches especially "archer protocol" until the end of time thank you

The Fourth Protocol with Michael Caine reprising. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Don Mega posted:

Usually a game 6 months from release will have info to talk about is what I meant by that. Like I said though I am not following this closely so I could be completely wrong.

You probably shouldn't be comparing "traditionally funded" vs "Kickstarter funded" games. KS (or, more generally, crowd-funded) games don't follow the same rules, for better or worse.

• Locked thread