Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006

Xealot posted:

I don't think Ramsay gives a gently caress about all-out war with the Ironborn. Every interaction he's had with them has involved breaking his promises of leniency, and then flaying them alive. The Boltons basically already are at war with them, and I'm pretty sure Ramsay welcomes the prospect of more.

On that point, I can't see Ramsay letting Yara go out of any consideration for Balon. He mailed Balon his son's genitals and called all Ironborn scum. He literally doesn't give a gently caress what they think or how angry they get.

And this is assuming Balon cares enough about Yara to go after her. He clearly didn't care about Theon (especially after being castrated.) And even if he respects Yara more, it's not like she's going to propagate the Greyjoy name.

Ramsay = Melisandre
Roose = Stannis

Ramsay is all about following the old ways and give zero fucks about how it'll affect things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
One aggravating thing about GOT is how every new group is introduced as The Most Badass, Terrifying, Lethal Killers Ever. New ones keep getting introduced to prevent you from realizing the old ones never did anything.

Ironborn: ran away from a shirtless guy with a puppy
Wildlings: 100,000 -- more like a couple dozen
Threnn: ate potato dad, otherwise yawn
Stannis: getting loan from the Trade Federation, brb
Night's watch: ok these guys don't even pretend to be badass. Sam did make a successful save roll vs. virginity
White Walkers: are they actually in this series?

C'mon, GRRM, two of these groups have been marching on the Wall for like three seasons now. Isn't it about time for a major battle instead of Pod and Brienne's Excellent Adventure?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

paperchaseguy posted:

C'mon, GRRM, two of these groups have been marching on the Wall for like three seasons now. Isn't it about time for a major battle instead of Pod and Brienne's Excellent Adventure?

I have good news

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

paperchaseguy posted:

One aggravating thing about GOT is how every new group is introduced as The Most Badass, Terrifying, Lethal Killers Ever. New ones keep getting introduced to prevent you from realizing the old ones never did anything.

Night's watch: ok these guys don't even pretend to be badass. Sam did make a successful save roll vs. virginity

I somewhat agree but I don't think are all introduced as badass/terrifying. I never really felt like Ironborn were badass. I guess they are decent warriors or whatever but their identity is more akin to Bitter Old House that Rebels Alot. Night's Watch is Archaic Old Warrior Brotherhood that Used To Be Important. Stannis is Crotchety-But-Fair and Rightful Heir. White Walkers are pretty badass though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

I heard coke addicted rear end in a top hat and Allen, wasn't sure who you were talking about, and had to google it out of curiosity. I expected Tim Allen's father.

I cannot even fathom a way to end GoT more terribly than BSG.

At least GoT is post-LOST. BSG wanted so hard to be LOST and to keep hyping "the mystery" when there was none. If this show was made 6-8 years earlier you'd probably have SHOCKING TWISTS about the white walkers.. every single episode.. often with information that can't add up in the end anyway.

the ending will be the white walkers are defeated. how? turns out they are living in a giant's eye or whatever nan said and he just used some visine and killed them all. the end.

then there will be some retarded montage about the dangers of zombies or something

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Shath Hole posted:

That was pretty funny to me as well. All that build up, she gets to her captive brother and after 1 sign of adversity says v:v:v welp, let's head home boys!

If you want the scene to make sence, then Yara didn't leave because they ran into some dogs, or even Ramsay and his men. She left because of Reek. She wasn't just being melodramatic when she said "Theon's dead", he is effectively dead to her. She was smart enough to realize she couldn't save some one who didn't want to be saved, and decided she wasn't going to send any more of her men to their deaths to save Reek. The only person who can save Theon is him self, something in him has to snap again and give him the strength to beat Ramsay.

The rescue scene could have been done a lot better, it was pretty poorly done by GoT standards.

Edit:

paperchaseguy posted:

Its almost like people like to talk big :ssh:

The Ironborn are raiders. A few years prior to the show they rebelled, made some big victories in surprise attacks, then got promptly crushed. In the current war they've rebelled again, made some big victories in surprise attacks, and things ain't looking so hot now. Seems like there might be a pattern here.

The couple dozen wildlings we're seeing are... a couple dozen wildlings. They're an advance group sent over the wall to cause havoc and get the gates unlocked for the 100,000 trapped on the wrong side. We haven't seen the wildling army yet outside of the vista of their camp way back when John was captured.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2014

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

If you want the scene to make sence, then Yara didn't leave because they ran into some dogs, or even Ramsay and his men. She left because of Reek. She wasn't just being melodramatic when she said "Theon's dead", he is effectively dead to her. She was smart enough to realize she couldn't save some one who didn't want to be saved, and decided she wasn't going to send any more of her men to their deaths to save Reek. The only person who can save Theon is him self, something in him has to snap again and give him the strength to beat Ramsay.

The rescue scene could have been done a lot better, it was pretty poorly done by GoT standards.

Out of all of that poo poo, her not at least attempting to mercy kill him was maybe the most egregious, especially given how we're supposed to view the Ironborn. Between that and the build up, it might've been the clumsiest sequence of the series.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

double negative posted:

Out of all of that poo poo, her not at least attempting to mercy kill him was maybe the most egregious, especially given how we're supposed to view the Ironborn. Between that and the build up, it might've been the clumsiest sequence of the series.

I can understand her not doing that for a number of reasons, but it sure would have been nice to see her have that conflict!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Yeah, not to get into a tactical realism debate on this either, but it just came off as so funny how lame the Ironborn have been in every single occasion. People have discussed before the hubris and the hamartia that have gotten people killed before, and how people have done so much for family and for honor. Robb went to war because of his family. Tywin went to war expressly because of the family name and avoiding disrepect. Oberyn, basically the same.

Balon, on the other hand, went "w/e" after the dick-in-a-box and even after Yara made that big speech she just left. You'd think for all the speechifying she made about the reputation of the Ironborn, killing the man who "killed" her brother would be a thing worth doing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The whole scene would have gone across much better if the ironborn had just been on the other side of a wall or something. So they could see and talk to Ramsay/Reek but not actually attack them in any way. So they could realistically have not been able to stop Ramsay releasing the hounds but also had enough of a head start to get away.
Might have made for poor shot framing, though.

And, of course, it could be intended to show the Ironborn are actually massive weenies. But they've never been shown to be bad at raiding, other than the rescue scene all of their failures have related to holding the castles they sack (which they traditionally did not do).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Tenebrais posted:

The whole scene would have gone across much better if the ironborn had just been on the other side of a wall or something

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That would be an incredible Ramsay scene.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I had trouble reading the books since they are badly written, so hopefully a better fan can explain this if they care to: Are the subtleties of the story poorly conveyed by the various writers, or is that the original intention of the works and I'm just not used to writing that doesn't over explain itself?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KORNTROLLOGY posted:

I had trouble reading the books since they are badly written, so hopefully a better fan can explain this if they care to: Are the subtleties of the story poorly conveyed by the various writers, or is that the original intention of the works and I'm just not used to writing that doesn't over explain itself?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Why are the wildlings even attacking Castle Black anyway? Even if they don't realize it's the only one that actually has dudes in it it's still the main one that would be the hardest to take and all they're trying to do is get past the Wall. Why don't they attack Castle Bumfuck that even in the glory days probably only had like 15 guys in it?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

KORNOLOGY posted:

What do you mean by subtleties exactly?

cock hero flux posted:

Why are the wildlings even attacking Castle Black anyway? Even if they don't realize it's the only one that actually has dudes in it it's still the main one that would be the hardest to take and all they're trying to do is get past the Wall. Why don't they attack Castle Bumfuck that even in the glory days probably only had like 15 guys in it?

There are three manned castles at the Wall, the rest of the disused have had their gates sealed with rocks and ice. Why Manse isn't attacking the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch by the Sea :iiam:

Maarak fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2014

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say that GRRM and the writers of the show struggle to write prose or scenes not involving dangling weiners.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

cock hero flux posted:

Well, one of the castles is all the way on the east coast. That adds a lot of horizontal movement along the wall, and that movement can be negated pretty easily by closing up the tunnels. Castle Black, as the main keep, is the one that is most likely to resist closing its tunnel.

Also they don't want to have the Night's Watch mostly unharmed at their backs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

cock hero flux posted:

The abandoned castles had their tunnels filled in, like Jon wanted to do with Castle Black's tunnel.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
[quote="Maarak" post="430627262"]

I meant that I really like the show but sometimes things feel rushed or skipped over and I'm wondering if its the same way in the books. I can't be the only fan who feels that way.

edit: quote fail =(

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KORNOLOGY posted:

[quote="Maarak" post="430627262"]

I meant that I really like the show but sometimes things feel rushed or skipped over and I'm wondering if its the same way in the books. I can't be the only fan who feels that way.

edit: quote fail =(

Sending you a PM.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
"Rushed" and "skipped over" are not words I'd use to describe the works of George R. R. Martin.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Max posted:

Sending you a PM.

Thank you for taking the time. I was expecting to get my face napalmed but instead actually learned something.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
You see this is why everyone with book questions should use the thread linked below. I want to know what he said to sway you and what you learned.

Is there ever a TV or film adaptation of a long book series that doesn't feel rushed?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Questions like these would better be asked here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853 It's hardly used but this is a thread about the books where spoilers are inside spoiler tags.

This is also a good thread if you're in the middle of reading the books and want somewhere to post your opinions without being afraid of spoilers.

Or if you're just watching the show and have no intention of reading the books and you want to know if something was different or not, you can ask it there. Or maybe you're just wondering what a character was thinking during a certain scene in the show, or you don't understand a character's decision. Ask there.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

I'm going to say thank you before I even read it. Thank you for weathering my general laziness.

As for point #2 he basically explained that the original story is told POV and that subtlety is indeed extremely indulged. As a major, mass-culture production I get thrown off when the show attempts to give me a better story than I was expecting.

And bad writing doesn't mean bad story telling or story, just that concepts are more important than art or mode or whatever you want to call it.

This show does things to my mind and emotions. Help me.

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

There are three manned castles at the Wall, the rest of the disused have had their gates sealed with rocks and ice. Why Manse isn't attacking the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch by the Sea :iiam:

Because Mance doesn't know they're unmanned. Jon told him they had 1000 men, and Mance doesn't know that Jon was lying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If the abandoned castles had their tunnels closed, how did Bran etc. get North of the Wall? I thought they went through an abandoned castle's tunnel.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Baron von Eevl posted:

If the abandoned castles had their tunnels closed, how did Bran etc. get North of the Wall? I thought they went through an abandoned castle's tunnel.

Secret passage Sam learned about in one of his books I think.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Baron von Eevl posted:

They used a secret passage that was possibly warded against evil.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Brick Card posted:

They used a secret passage that was possibly warded against evil.

Oh poo poo they should probably get on that for the other ones.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Why doesn't Mance go to the coast and ferry his people across like 10 meters. The wall isn't that wide :colbert:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why doesn't Mance go to the coast and ferry his people across like 10 meters. The wall isn't that wide :colbert:

Is real plan is just that he wants someone to make him a gigantic fire and this is the only way he could convince the wildlings to do that.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah poo poo's cold north of the wall, wildlings are too busy to realize that they just need a hella bonfire and things'll be okay. That's where Mance comes in.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There's a Night's Watch base on the coast. Killing Wildlings paddling in lovely little boats would probably be fish in a barrel.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Ginette Reno posted:

Because Mance doesn't know they're unmanned. Jon told him they had 1000 men, and Mance doesn't know that Jon was lying.

I'd reckon Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower probably have more men than Castle Black after Mormont took so many people to their deaths north of the wall anyway. And the unmanned ones don't have gates anymore.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lycus posted:

There's a Night's Watch base on the coast. Killing Wildlings paddling in lovely little boats would probably be fish in a barrel.

Unless you're Robb's uncle

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Omnomnomnivore posted:

"Rushed" and "skipped over" are not words I'd use to describe the works of George R. R. Martin.

Lovingly well crafted and painstakingly written rape scenes, give the devil his due.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
nvm

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 6, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
How big is the north anyway? I looked a the map in the OP and the HBO guide but both cut it off, I guess that so the White Walkers can march for 10 years, not making it to The Wall and not have the map be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Roose mentioned it in his Lion King speech to Ramsay last episode. The North is bigger than the rest of Westeros combined (and the areas of the gift, Wall, and beyong are bigger still, I think)

• Locked thread