Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Yeah, we won't vote on whether or not to scrap the team completely until the other wolf dies and both our flesh golems roll -str on their injury rolls next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Prospective dwarf fans, there's a great game for you, it's called "Warhammer Fantasy Battles". Please play that. Or Dungeonbowl, I guess.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I think the only problem with dwarves is the huge amount of tackle on the team from T.V. 1000. Like they said in the video move tackle to the blitzers and the team would be a lot better balanced. Maybe increase some player or reroll costs too.

I really don't understand why people are so upset about dwarves and then turn around and go "but orks are cool." The two teams literally play the exact same way almost every game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The reason people get pissed about Dwarves is that they're built from the ground up to trim TV, and MA4 is actually not slow enough to reasonably outrun on the offense until you can put a bunch of dwarves down and either gang DP foul, POMB, or best of all ClawPOMB your way into their armour and start deleting players.

Orcs can do loads of stuff, I've been running a no-Blorc Orc team that still kinda works, because they can be played more like a Human team with AV9 and some Stunty guys if that's your bag. You can run them as a boring Guard-everywhere team if you like, but then when's the last time you saw a Dwarf team that wasn't just Guard, MB, fired/dubs Dodge progression on their Linos?

Dwarves can't even do anything cool with their big guy. Can't throw an extra small dwarf, can't even get TDs with them, just hurts up players for a half before getting sent off. Wow. Cool. Nice team.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 6, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basically starting with block, tackle, av 9, and thickskull on half your team instantly propels you into the 'no fun bullshit' levels of the stratosphere.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only cool way to play a Dwarf team is to play Chorfs but have 13 Hobgoblins, 2 Bull Centaurs, and the Minotaur.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Save for the big guy complaint (deathroller is garbage) I could quote your complaints and swap out dwarf for ork and it would make sense.

Fake edit; the reason I defend dwarves so much is because I really don't see them being any different than orks and I really like dwarves in this game thematically. Troll slayers are probably my favorite positional in the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can't even kill the little bastards because of their huge Armor and Block and everything.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Save for the big guy complaint (deathroller is garbage) I could quote your complaints and swap out dwarf for ork and it would make sense.

Fake edit; the reason I defend dwarves so much is because I really don't see them being any different than orks and I really like dwarves in this game thematically. Troll slayers are probably my favorite positional in the game.

1000 tv dwarves are exactly what 1300 tv orcs are (if the orcs are being boring and doing nothing but block tackle guard). 1100 tv dwarves are 1500 tv orcs.

Dwarves are worse than orcs.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Agent355 posted:

1000 tv dwarves are exactly what 1300 tv orcs are (if the orcs are being boring and doing nothing but block tackle guard). 1100 tv dwarves are 1500 tv orcs.

Dwarves are worse than orcs.

Maybe if all you are looking at is skills, stat wise orks are way better off.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Maybe if all you are looking at is skills, stat wise orks are way better off.

Yet skills are more important early on and stats are more important later. You could make the argument that 2000 tv orcs are just as bad at their tv as 1000 tv dorfs are at theirs.

But saying that orcs are always as bad as 2000 tv orcs is just wrong.

Not to mention nobody plays at 2000 tv anyway, all my best teams wither and die at 1800 when goons don't want to play them anymore.

Dwarves are bullshit and completely unfun at the tv most people play at, while orcs are not.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My teams wither and die at 1800 tv because all my players are dead.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Agent355 posted:

Dwarves are bullshit and completely unfun at the tv most people play at, while orcs are not.

I disagree, not so much with the dwarves are bullshit part, but with the orks aren't bullshit part.

I don't disagree with someone saying dwarves aren't fun to play against because the people who coach dwarves always play them the same way every game and that is to cage as hard as possible and grind out a slow win. However the people who coach orks always play them the same way every game and cage as hard as possible and grind out a slow win too.

Also orks and dwarves become fun to play against at the exact same time and that is when my mutation team finally gets claw and mighty blow on a couple of players and not a second sooner.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If your argument is 'orcs are just as bad as dwarves, so I don't know why people hate dwarves but not orcs'. Then you are simply wrong. Given the same tv (below like 1500 when orcs do become much more obnoxious but other teams have skills to deal with at least a bit of it) orcs are a 7/10 for annoying while dorfs are 10/10. Orcs might be 10/10 at 2000 tv but not at 1200.

Look, a 1200 tv orc team is going to have 4 blitzers with block and a level, maybe guard, maybe tackle, maybe mighty blow. 4 blorcs who are lucky if they have a level, maybe 2 with block. A thrower with a level and then a bunch of lineorks plus that one guy who got mvp and an interception or some dumb poo poo.

That gives you 4 annoying players, 4 meaty guys with few skills, and friends.

Equal tv dorfs, every blocker who levels already has block/tackle so they almost all take guard or mightyblow, runners probably have block and nothing else, blitzers probably have a level for guard or whatever. Troll slayers maybe? depends on the team and where the spp goes.

The point is that at equal tv one team has every single player with block and half the team with guard. The other team has 4-6 players with block and maybe 2-3 with guard.

Now you try to convince me how A=B

I mean I get it, you like dorfs, you are free to like dorfs. I am free to not play your team and poo poo talk dorfs all day long. It's just this argument equating dorfs with orcs as 'EXACTLY THE SAME THING' is blatantly wrong. They are two teams that fill the same general role, one of which comes online immediately and falls off later due to bad stats, the other of which has a better stat line and comes online at higher tv.

The reason 1500 tv orcs aren't as annoying as 1000 tv dorfs is that at 1500 tv whatever team I'm playing also has block, guard, break tackle, strip ball, and all the other skills I need to deal with orc's poo poo. Where at 1000 I'm lucky to have 4 players with block if I start as delfs or whatever, many teams only have 2 players with block, or none at all like lizards/chaos.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 6, 2014

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

CongoJack posted:

I disagree, not so much with the dwarves are bullshit part, but with the orks aren't bullshit part.

I don't disagree with someone saying dwarves aren't fun to play against because the people who coach dwarves always play them the same way every game and that is to cage as hard as possible and grind out a slow win. However the people who coach orks always play them the same way every game and cage as hard as possible and grind out a slow win too.

Also orks and dwarves become fun to play against at the exact same time and that is when my mutation team finally gets claw and mighty blow on a couple of players and not a second sooner.

Personally, I don't find orks that fun to play against, but they're not nearly the same level of bullshit that dwarves are. Compare some of the notable starting skills on the traditional starting rosters of each team:

Orks:
- 4 x Block on blitzers
- 1 x Sure hands

Dwarf:
- 9 x Block
- 5 x Tackle
- 2 x Sure Hands
- 2 x Dauntless
- 2 x Frenzy
- Thick Skull Everywhere

They have roughly equivalent armour (although dwarves get thick skull on everyone) which makes armour breaking somewhat of a tie. Orks do get +4ST - but those players don't have block meaning that they fail 1/9 blocks compared to a 3ST dwarf who would actually only fail 1/6 on a 1DB, or 1/36 on a 2DB.

Next, you add in all the tackle which basically eliminates any advantage that teams with access to dodge would have had (which they do get over orks). A great example is Amazons. If they get Dwarf as an early match, it's basically the death of that team.

So yeah, maybe they have similar styles of play, and in fact, I'll agree to a certain degree that orks aren't the most fun team either, but they are still light years different in the sscale of their unfun-ness.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 6, 2014

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I'm just racist against dwarves.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finally stopped getting distracted by Wachdogs and created a Dark Elf team. First match against Lizarmen, I get two CAS and a KO in my LOS on the first turn. Also failed 4 2+ pickups. Bloodbowl.

A lineman leveled up with doubles, so I have some guard on the team at least.

I'm going to sign these guys up against GNU Order if they manage to go through the next match without casualties. They are going places.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CongoJack posted:

Orcs are a million times less annoying than Dwarfs.

gently caress Dwarves forever. I can dodge away from Orcs, as a rule. Against dwarves, they all have tackle. And you can't remove them.
Even with Claw. I'm only up to Turn 2, and Thick Skull has already preserved a Dwarf.

2 dwarves saved by Thick Skull, 1 FG.

gently caress Dwarves. Seriously. Never play dwarves.

Edit: You can say it, SDS, Dwarves are Literally Hitler.

Dorfs roll 6 6 6 on an elf play.
Then you roll snakes on the vanity pass.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 6, 2014

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
/\/\/\I did get really lucky this game, but don't pretend that if I was playing literally any other team you would feel the need to point that out in the thread.

I think dwarves and orks are closer than you guys are insisting they are. Imagine making a T.V. 1000 team and you spin and get dwarves. By the end of the game your team is going to be beat up and it was a slog to get through. Now imagine you got orks. your team is beat up and it was a slog to get through.

I think most of my annoyance at all the dwarf hate is the amount of complaining that happens when dwarf is mentioned and the almost no complaints made when orks are. I could have a standard t.v. 1500 ork team with block and guard everywhere and nobody would say anything. I play a 1500 dwarf team with some guard and stuff but goofy poo poo too, like the dump off/pass runners. People would be rushing to be the first to complain.

Dwarves may be the worst most boring team to play as or against in bloodbowl, but orks play about 95% the same as dwarves do and nobody ever says anything about it.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from hating dwarves, I'm just trying to get people to hate orks too.

Basically;

quote:

I'm just racist against orks.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 6, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So you're no seeing that a starting dwarf team that has virtually across the board block is more annoying than a starting Orc team with, at the most, four block players?

The reason people find dwarves annoying is that all they do, all they really can do is rely on shutting down your own plays with no real risky strategy on their part, even at tv1000. More or less everything a dwarf team does is safe for them to do (for a given value of safe).

I wouldn't refuse to play against dwarves, nor do I find them the worst thing in the world. But they are, by far, worse than orcs, because orcs have a variety and rely on both shutting down plays and making their own, while dwarfs just do the latter

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CongoJack posted:

/\/\/\I did get really lucky this game, but don't pretend that if I was playing literally any other team you would feel the need to point that out in the thread.

I think dwarves and orks are closer than you guys are insisting they are. Imagine making a T.V. 1000 team and you spin and get dwarves. By the end of the game your team is going to be beat up and it was a slog to get through. Now imagine you got orks. your team is beat up and it was a slog to get through.

I think most of my annoyance at all the dwarf hate is the amount of complaining that happens when dwarf is mentioned and the almost no complaints made when orks are. I could have a standard t.v. 1500 ork team with block and guard everywhere and nobody would say anything. I play a 1500 dwarf team with some guard and stuff but goofy poo poo too, like the dump off/pass runners. People would be rushing to be the first to complain.

Dwarves may be the worst most boring team to play as or against in bloodbowl, but orks play about 95% the same as dwarves do and nobody ever says anything about it.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from hating dwarves, I'm just trying to get people to hate orks too.

Basically;

I'm not a great fan of Orcs, but you can actually play Bloodbowl against Orcs. Against Dwarves there is practically nothing you can do.
Because not every Orc starts with Block, av9 and thick skull. With some Tackle thrown in on their linemen.

While playing against Orcs can be frustrating, it is a ton less painful than playing against Dwarves. No amount of picking funhaver skills makes Dwarves not Dwarves. It just makes them worse to play against.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CongoJack posted:

Basically, I'm just racist against orks.

That's Animosity for ya!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Deathroller should be mandatory for dwarf teams. Its the only fun part with them.

And it sucks and costs a lot of tv.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Oh man, gently caress dorfs forever. Seriously.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

CongoJack posted:

Basically;

quote:

I'm just a terrible person with bad opinions.

I can hurt orcs. On average, an orc team is going to suffer more casualties and knockouts than dwarves. A lot more. They're also easier to maneuver around. They have far less block, and they don't start with tackle. Yeah, they have some ST4 players, but those don't start with skills.

They also have the capacity to be fun, unlike dwarves. Goblin Stunty and TTM shenanigans are fun, and orcs can do them. Hardly the race's fault if players don't take advantage of fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The best Dwarf team I ever faced was in the public league on cyanide. He had 11 players including the deathroller so the deathroller was forced to be on the pitch during the Skaven Drive. I did a 1 turn touchdown, forcing his roller to get banned from the game before it took a single action because rats.

He conceded the game on his turn 1.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hmm. Now I have to trawl more obscure 80s pop music for wolf references.

"Of London"?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Harry Perfect

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Enstein.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm. Now I have to trawl more obscure 80s pop music for wolf references.

"Of London"?

That's hardly obscure - at least I knew the song, and odds are that if I know a song, it's probably not obscure.

I'd call the wolf Martin Adams, but I've got a one-track mind.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TheMcD posted:

That's hardly obscure - at least I knew the song, and odds are that if I know a song, it's probably not obscure.

I'd call the wolf Martin Adams, but I've got a one-track mind.

Well yeah, I haven't started trawling yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Name the new Wolf "Blitzer".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Pavlov posted:

Okay, this I can get behind.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
With glorious hindsight, it should really be Old Yeller. It's a sign of things to come.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

uPen posted:

The best Dwarf team I ever faced was in the public league on cyanide. He had 11 players including the deathroller so the deathroller was forced to be on the pitch during the Skaven Drive. I did a 1 turn touchdown, forcing his roller to get banned from the game before it took a single action because rats.

He conceded the game on his turn 1.

:allears: This is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
"Dirty Hairy," maybe?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

I rest my argument.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 7, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd be way more okay with the Dwarf player if he was just gleeful about being history's greatest monster instead of defending his choice of teams.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
How long until we find out how many other players were crippled by this debacle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Pavlov posted:

This is a great name, but with your username I would've expected something a tad different.

• Locked thread