Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

There were a few reasons:

The cast wasn't particularly well-received and the plot was pretty shallow and lackluster. Japanese fans already had access to the Tactics Ogre and FFT games so there wasn't a lot particularly unique in the story. It wasn't that it was atypical (largely because it wasn't really atypical), it just failed to have any characters anyone really liked. Balthier was probably the closest.

The License system was not liked at all, especially coming off FFX's Sphere Grid. They tried to fix this in the International edition with the Zodiac Job System.

The actual structure of the game wasn't well received. The open-world structure didn't really grab players and some found it so unstructured as to be unenjoyable. The plot, again, didn't help here as it didn't do a good job of providing a driving force or a reason to keep going.

A big complaint about the combat was that it was very slow and not very visually impressive. The former was why they added a Fast Forward button to International and the latter is probably part of why the first stuff we saw from FFXIII, even before they had a combat system down, was "look how fuckin' shiny this combat is."

It also performed unexpectedly bad with female players, who had responded very positively to FFX. It's hard to say why this is except for the aforementioned "nobody really liked any of the characters" thing.

A pity, because the open-ended structure certainly appealed to me, a Western RPG fan, who really liked the notion that I could wander into a cave that was ten levels above where I should be, use strategy and superior tactics to win my way through its depths and encounter a hidden Esper that I had no idea was even down there, beat it, and get a summon that--while not particularly helpful in the gameplay at the time--felt like a real accomplishment to me as a player. The idea that you could lift a rock and find a tiny god ready to do battle with you was immensely fun.

I love love love love love Final Fantasy 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't FF6 also not received well because it was open-ended at points and a lot of people in Japan got confused as to where they were supposed to go next?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Wasn't FF6 also not received well because it was open-ended at points and a lot of people in Japan got confused as to where they were supposed to go next?
To my understanding the problems were:

They got FFV so the combat system looked like a step backwards in a lot of ways.
The World of Ruin was pretty unpopular, partially because it was so unfocused.
A lot of the stuff people really remember about it was pretty deritivative of Japanese media at the time and so it didn't have the same impact it did for English players suddenly having the world explode.

I don't think it's a case where it was hated or anything but it's just the least-popular SNES-era FF in Japan.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
How did the Japanese like FFIX? Because if they didn't like IX much either, we have objective definitive proof that Japanese gamers just have bad taste.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

IX isn't very popular here either man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

How did the Japanese like FFIX? Because if they didn't like IX much either, we have objective definitive proof that Japanese gamers just have bad taste.

From what I recall it did well with female players but got a negative backlash from male players due to the art style and otherwise was generally well received. It's harder to find information about it, although Zidane and Vivi tend to rank really highly on popularity charts when those happen. It isn't as popular as FFX/VII/IV but it doesn't seem widely disliked or anything.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cake Attack posted:

IX isn't very popular here either man.

I don't think this is true at all. It didn't sell well because it was I marketed and got buried under news of FFX, but I don't think you could say it was unpopular in the sense of being disliked generally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't think this is true at all. It didn't sell well because it was I marketed and got buried under news of FFX, but I don't think you could say it was unpopular in the sense of being disliked generally.

When it came out? It really wasn't.

Remember that FFIX came out after the one-two punch of FFVII and FFVIII when Final Fantasy was the 'cutting edge' of video game storylines and had (for the time) realistic graphics and models and melodramatic storylines and was being taken way too fuckin' seriously. So here comes along a super-deformed, brightly-colored, rather goofy looking game with a lighthearted plot and a lot of callbacks to games that FFVII/VIII fans never played? It was vitriolic.

It's softened a lot since then though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, FFIX is basically in the opposite position of 7 and 8: instead of people getting really vitriolic about hating it because of how popular they are/were, it's people digging it back out as a forgotten gem.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
When you have the time, ImpAtom, do you mind going through Japan's reactions for each game? It's interesting to compare what games are huge there compared to here, especially the ones that didn't get released here at first, especially the ones where one region loves a game while the other is lukewarm/hates it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

When you have the time, ImpAtom, do you mind going through Japan's reactions for each game? It's interesting to compare what games are huge there compared to here, especially the ones that didn't get released here at first, especially the ones where one region loves a game while the other is lukewarm/hates it.

Well, I can only go off what I can find information on which is kind of hard for older stuff, especially release reactions. A lot of stuff is tinged with nostalgia.

The general gist of it, at least from what I've seen:

FFIV is the nostalgia-bomb "I played this when I was young and still like it" game. There's genuinely a lot of positively about it and it continues to sell and I don't genuinely see much in the way of complaints about its flaws. The characters and linear guided story-focused experience kind of define a lot of what Final Fantasy is for people and it keeps getting and selling new versions.

FFV tends to do really well with the male audience members, especially those who really enjoy the mechanical aspect of FF. The characters don't seem particularly fondly remembered aside from, of course, Gilgamesh. There's a strong audience for it but they really seem in it for the job system.

Final Fantasy VII holds a fairly similar place to the English-speaking audience. A lot of fans, it drew in a lot of fans, it retains a lot of fans. Crisis Core is the only FFVII spinoff to have any long-term success and that is largely because Japan seems to like Zack quite a lot. (He actually has outranked Cloud on several popularity polls!) There's not much to say here. It's really close to the US reception.

FFVIII is defined by being really really popular among female players, but their interest seems to lie more in the characters (or the character designs, I should say) than the actual plot or gameplay. Squall or Seifer are far more likely to rank highly on a popularity poll than FFVIII itself is.

FFX is the "last good game" in the terms of the game that you're most likely to get a lot of people saying they really liked. It had a really positive reception in Japan, significantly moreso than the US release, and has retained its popularity since. X-2 was less popular but still sold extremely well. Yuna in particular was a really popular female lead for whatever reason.

FFXIII doesn't seem as widely despised as it does in the US, the reception was just kind of average and it failed to build any strong following. Lightning garnered a strong fanbase and that is about it. The sequels got more negative responses. FFXIII-2 due to the bait-and-switch with Lightning and Lightning Returns because of the drastic changes to the mechanics and a general dislike for the "everything goes to poo poo" plot.

I haven't really found (or looked for) much on the MMOs, sorry.

At the end of the day, there isn't so much a gap in which games people like but more why they like them. You're more likely to get a big gap in what characters people like than what games they like, I think.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 6, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/06/e3-wont-bring-any-news-about-final-fantasy-xv-and-kingdom-hearts-iii-development-proceeding-steadily/

No FFXV or KHIII at E3. Balls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No shock at all. I'd expect TGS at the earliest and probably not even then. If either game is out by 2015 I'll be drat drat surprised.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How long until FFXV becomes the new DNF?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
One additional year of development and a no show at e3? I'm reminded of when FFXIII was initially shown to the public as a smoke and mirrors pre-rendered trailer in e3 2006. The company was hopelessly unprepared for next-gen development but needed to show investors that they had a major core property in development. FFXIII skipped e3 2007 and then showed up again with doctored footage for the FFVII Cloud dvd. Could FFXV be suffering from the same development problems and what we've seen so far is carefully doctored footage to mask a lack of progress?

In fact, it was announced in 2006, re-revealed in 2013, and will skip e3 2014. Even if we make the assumption that game 'officially' started development in late 2011, comparable AAA RPGs, such as Monolith Soft's X, Dragon Age Inquisition, and The Witcher 3 could come out before FFXV despite being developed in a similar timeframe.

It would be really funny if TGS 2014 rolls around and Square-Enix says "Forget about FFXV for a while, look at the mobile games we have! Please be excited!"

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I can hear the SE white knights riding in full-saddle already to defend this decision and tell us about how they don't suck anymore.

I think at this point we should all just start not wanting or liking FFXV or KH3. That way, SE will jump right on the ball and get them released like tomorrow. Since you know they hate fun so much.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 6, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eh, Squeenix does kind of suck, but I'd still rather them hold off until they have something actually substantial, than do some "This is what the game will totally be like. *winkwink*" nonsense again. They really need to rein in the whole showing off or announcing games way too early thing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

How long until FFXV becomes the new DNF?

DNF took what? 11 years? So 3 more years i guess

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'd like to work at Squeenix. it seems chill.
make a game. Sure, whatever. Right after this nap.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No shock at all. I'd expect TGS at the earliest and probably not even then. If either game is out by 2015 I'll be drat drat surprised.

Really? I honestly fully expect a 2015 release for FFXV. I felt that the E3 trailer was pretty much the end of the DNF-esque stuff, with the move to next-gen being one of the major explanations for it. Personally I'm betting on a trailer and 2015 release date at TGS. KH3 is probably being saved for the D23 Expo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

I can hear the SE white knights riding in full-saddle already to defend this decision and tell us about how they don't suck anymore.

I think at this point we should all just start not wanting or liking FFXV or KH3. That way, SE will jump right on the ball and get them released like tomorrow. Since you know they hate fun so much.
The most gamefaqs post.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Really? I honestly fully expect a 2015 release for FFXV. I felt that the E3 trailer was pretty much the end of the DNF-esque stuff, with the move to next-gen being one of the major explanations for it. Personally I'm betting on a trailer and 2015 release date at TGS. KH3 is probably being saved for the D23 Expo.

I don't have a ton of faith in Square-Enix's development schedules, basically, and even less faith on them getting it right the first time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We'll get the next FFXV trailer when we celebrate the announcement's 10 year anniversary. :toot:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
My only beef with FF12 is that I can't un-invert the camera controls. :saddowns:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zero Star posted:

My only beef with FF12 is that I can't un-invert the camera controls. :saddowns:

Play it in an emulator and rebind them :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I actually refuse to believe this. Not playable, sure. But not appearing? That just seems utterly crazy. What marketing department would let that happen? You just need to show something tiny to have the fans wildly speculate for another year.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I actually refuse to believe this. Not playable, sure. But not appearing? That just seems utterly crazy. What marketing department would let that happen? You just need to show something tiny to have the fans wildly speculate for another year.

Well, technically they kind-of half have. The KH HD 2.5 Remix trailer ends with a snippet of Japanese dialogue from KH3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzPLvoXTSg

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ImpAtom posted:

It also performed unexpectedly bad with female players, who had responded very positively to FFX. It's hard to say why this is except for the aforementioned "nobody really liked any of the characters" thing.

Well the female characters of 12 are "Dagger but with less personality" "Rikku but with less personality" and "fetish bait".

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

No XV or KHIII, but there are some rumors floating around about a PS4/XBox One "Lightning Collection" for the XIII games!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RagnarokAngel posted:

To me the most amusing thing was how FFX International changed the sphere grid to be a bit more open-ended since the original, despite its impressive appearance, was extremely linear.

Meanwhile, XII's zodiac job system changed to a stricter class-based system because the original version was too open as to make every character fundamentally the same.

The worst part is that the job system was originally going to be in the first version of the game, but they decided that it would be "too complicated" and they came up with the License Board with the intention that people would naturally differentiate the characters on their own. Instead, everyone just ended up mastering the entire board with all six characters and then complained about how everyone was the same. So the Job System was added to fix that in the International version.

Attitude Indicator posted:

DNF took what? 11 years?

Fifteen. Development started sometime in 1996, it was announced in 1997, and was finally released in 2011.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

MechaX posted:

No XV or KHIII, but there are some rumors floating around about a PS4/XBox One "Lightning Collection" for the XIII games!

Woo, hoo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Fifteen. Development started sometime in 1996, it was announced in 1997, and was finally released in 2011.

Though, I believe jokes about the game started in like 1999.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

forbidden lesbian posted:

Wow whoever the dude slamming FFX-2 is, meet me out back right now!!!

I tried FFX-2 and was pretty disappointed. Well beyond how weird it starts but I think I really hate the ATB system. I have it set to wait but is there any other way at all to make it turn based? :/

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I never got all the praise for the battle system in X-2, it is just a messier version of the standard ATB stuff. X had a vastly superiour battle system, shame they did not try to improve on it in later games.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea its really disappointing that X is apparently the only one of its kind in the newer generation.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dross posted:

"Rikku but with less personality" and "fetish bait".

I dunno, I think using those descriptors is cheating. Because they're the same thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DNF took what? 11 years? So 3 more years i guess
To complete the DNF cycle, Enix needs to go bankrupt and pass their IP on to a company that'll let it languish for a few years before selling it off to yet another company.

Dragonatrix posted:

I dunno, I think using those descriptors is cheating. Because they're the same thing.
"Fetish bait for furries in denial" then :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I never got all the praise for the battle system in X-2, it is just a messier version of the standard ATB stuff. X had a vastly superiour battle system, shame they did not try to improve on it in later games.

It's the ATB system where you can interrupt and gently caress up enemy attacks mid combat. It's basically the best.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The whole timing overlap of concurrent attacks thing also works better on Active rather than Wait. Whereas with standard ATB I generally recommend the other way around (since Active in standard ATB has no real benefit for you and just amounts to "let enemies benefit from any indecision on your part").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

If you want a followup to FFX's battle system then you'd do a lot better to pick up Persona 3 or Persona 4 instead of FFX2.

Vil posted:

The whole timing overlap of concurrent attacks thing also works better on Active rather than Wait. Whereas with standard ATB I generally recommend the other way around (since Active in standard ATB has no real benefit for you and just amounts to "let enemies benefit from any indecision on your part").

Wait is important for freezing super powerful enemies while your lady luck uses lucky 7s.