Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Kingnothing posted:

Have you had it for a short enough amount of time to exchange it?

If not things don't look so good.

I've had it for three weeks so I think I'm out of the best buy return policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

beergod posted:

I've had it for three weeks so I think I'm out of the best buy return policy.

If you're a My Best Buy elite member apparently it's 30. If you go tomorrow and be nice/get a nice manager you might be able to make it happen, especially if you're looking to exchange for something at a higher pricepoint.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

beergod posted:

I bought a 2013 21.5 inch imac and I really love it but I miss the SSD more than I thought I would. Can I pay apple or a third party to install an SSD or fusion drive or am I pretty much hosed?

If hosed, can I get an external SSD and install my OS on that and would it make everything speedy again? If so, how would I do that? Thanks.

I'm not sure about getting an SSD installed internally, but if your other options don't pan out, you can buy a thunderbolt SSD and boot from that. Works pretty transparently for me.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
More reason not to buy an apple product ever again...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/05/apple-to-abandon-headphone-jack-suddenly-beats-deal-makes-sense/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They are not going to dump the headphone port any time soon.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Totally a deal-breaker for everyone. We should all just switch to PCs and Android phones now. :rolleyes:

fake edit: The article is full of baseless speculation. If it does happen there will be adapters as Apple is seemingly going to allow licensed products. It didn't take long for third-party Lightning cables to show up, for instance.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

More reasons for third parties to just make a lovely Lightning to analog jack converter if this ever happens.

Lightning headphone APIs were announced at WWDC, but I doubt Apple will make the whole world take a poo poo on their currently working headphones.

efb

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Disk Utility on my mid-2011 iMac running Mavericks has told me I need to restart my machine and enter recovery mode to repair the SSD. I restart, hold down Command-R until the Apple logo appears. Ten or 15 seconds later, the computer shuts off completely. This has happened every time I've tried (about 5-6 times). Going to Startup Manager instead (holding down option) and selecting my Recovery volume causes the same shutdown.

Is my SSD dying something hardcore? Are there logs I can check to see what's going on?

EDIT: Was able to get into Recovery mode by replacing a corrupt BaseSystem.dmg on my recovery drive with the one from the Mavericks install ESD. Now to see what's up with my disk.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2014

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

This was tried with the first set of Android phones (HTC Hero I believe) and the Palm Pre Mini or something. Everyone hated it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vinlaen posted:

I don't think anybody knows for sure, but Apple always has their developers conference (WWDC) in June, and then they usually have an event in the fall (September, etc) so I think most people would guess it will be released then along with the new iPhone. (that's assuming the retina MacBook is even a real thing...)

Seems like they've really gone overboard moving all their product releases into September/October. We probably won't get everything on this list, but it's at least posssible we'll see a retina MBA, iPhone, iPad, new AppleTV, Mac Mini, iMac and the iWatch by the end of the year. You'd think they'd want to space out at least a couple of those releases so they don't get overshadowed by the monster releases like the iPhone/iPad.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Right, I wonder if the decision to have the WWDC keynote be software only wasn't caused by some delays in hardware. This is of course all complete guesswork, but I'd say that if a potential iWatch will need an iPhone to operate, then its announcement probably will be just a major part of the iPhone event, The computers and Apple TV (meaning the box, not if it's an actual TV set) can get a quick mention at either the iPhone or iPad event. A TV set would of course get its own event.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I guess the timing works out pretty awkward to be putting out new Macs now with Yosemite just starting public testing. Seems kind of nuts to miss back-to-school by releasing them after everyone is back in classes and behind the 800 pound gorilla releases that are the iPhone and iPad though. A new Macbook Air or something would have got a lot more attention now than it will in October.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I thought they used back-to-school to clear out old laptops right before the new ones came in?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

wdarkk posted:

I thought they used back-to-school to clear out old laptops right before the new ones came in?

Makes sense. Sucks for consumers, but it's probably good business.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

BGrifter posted:

I guess the timing works out pretty awkward to be putting out new Macs now with Yosemite just starting public testing.

How new are you to this whole Mac thing?

Honestly, in any given year over the last few now we've had 6 months or so in which a new OS X version has previews out, which has NEVER stopped Apple from releasing anything, and it shouldn't have. They just get released with whatever version of OS X is out at the time, and then they can be upgraded.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Another thing that tends to come up around fall is "Gee whiz, I'm sure they'll delay the new OS X so it comes out with this Mac" or vice versa. Nope, not done.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flavor posted:

How new are you to this whole Mac thing?

Honestly, in any given year over the last few now we've had 6 months or so in which a new OS X version has previews out, which has NEVER stopped Apple from releasing anything, and it shouldn't have. They just get released with whatever version of OS X is out at the time, and then they can be upgraded.

Brand new. :shobon: Seemed like a reasonable guess they'd want to have new hardware to launch alongside the official release of the new OS, but I'll take your word for it that's not been the case in the past.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

People always try to ascribe Apple's computer refresh cycle to weird things like their software schedule when at the end of the day, they pretty much march to the beat of their own drum. Maybe it's the iOS::iPhone refresh relationship that makes people think that way. The best indicator we have is actually the roadmaps for their suppliers (Intel, Nvidia, AMD etc.) and even then Apple doesn't necessarily refresh the moment that a new platform is released. The only certainty is that Apple generally can't announce something before Intel does.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

BGrifter: Sorry then, I didn't want to come down too hard on you or make you feel unwelcome.

In any event, it's not like Apple only has one Mac or something, and it would be pretty silly for them if half the year or so was off limits for product releases.

They're having iOS releases coincide with hardware, but that only has two product lines whose releases are pretty close together.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BGrifter posted:

I guess the timing works out pretty awkward to be putting out new Macs now with Yosemite just starting public testing.

No, the timing is awkward to be putting out new Macs right now because about the only thing which can be done right now is the Haswell speed bump, which isn't really keynote worthy. Truly new Macs won't be ready until Intel releases Broadwell processors, which isn't scheduled until late this year (and it won't be a full line release either, much like Haswell last year -- the MacBook Air will probably get updated first).

Broadwell is expected to improve energy efficiency and graphics performance again, key for the long awaited retina Air.

People tend to read way too much grandiose planning into Apple's product release schedules. Often it's driven by when they can get a key component in adequate quantities to do the "you can buy it today" thing, and on the Mac side of things they're far more beholden to someone else's schedules.

Efb

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flavor posted:

BGrifter: Sorry then, I didn't want to come down too hard on you or make you feel unwelcome.

In any event, it's not like Apple only has one Mac or something, and it would be pretty silly for them if half the year or so was off limits for product releases.

They're having iOS releases coincide with hardware, but that only has two product lines whose releases are pretty close together.

Totally cool, I appreciate you taking the time to explain where I was off base. I started with iOS devices (a 4th gen iPod Touch lead to a 3rd gen iPad which lead to an iPhone 5s) so I assumed the way they handle OSX would be similar to iOS. Makes sense that more product lines would make that problematic.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BGrifter posted:

Seemed like a reasonable guess they'd want to have new hardware to launch alongside the official release of the new OS, but I'll take your word for it that's not been the case in the past.

FYI, in the past they sometimes went over 2 years between major OS X releases. Matching the one per year iOS release pace is a very new thing.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

BobHoward posted:

FYI, in the past they sometimes went over 2 years between major OS X releases. Matching the one per year iOS release pace is a very new thing.

I'd really like to see Apple go back to a bi-annual release schedule, at least with OS X. I've only been a Mac user since ML, but it only feels that Mavericks really came together with the 10.9.3 update - at least regarding Mail issues. Now it's oh HAI Yosemite, and we're back to a .0 release. Again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

binarysmurf posted:

I'd really like to see Apple go back to a bi-annual release schedule, at least with OS X. I've only been a Mac user since ML, but it only feels that Mavericks really came together with the 10.9.3 update - at least regarding Mail issues. Now it's oh HAI Yosemite, and we're back to a .0 release. Again.

Personally I didn't feel they even had much to announce with Yosemite, and that really it could have just been a software update to accompany iOS 8. I'm look forward to the iPhone to Mac integration, but it isn't exactly a major update. And darker backgrounds def are not major updates.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

binarysmurf posted:

I'd really like to see Apple go back to a bi-annual release schedule

I as well would like to have more time to enjoy those great releases of yesteryear.

Duckman2008 posted:

And darker backgrounds def are not major updates.

Right, just a darker background, nothing else.

For all the time I've been dealing with computing and users in forums, every single new release of anything ever has been dismissed as insufficient. I therefore conclude that the best software is version 1.0 of everything.

Microsoft still does big monolithic multi-year releases of Windows, and it's working out great for them... oh wait.

Maybe I'm not having an issue with yearly updates because they've never given me trouble. And I'm thinking a horrible mistake like the GUI of Windows 8 would have already been fixed by the hypothetical 2013 version of Windows instead of having staid on because it's just the current OS version and MS needs to save face.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flavor posted:

Microsoft still does big monolithic multi-year releases of Windows, and it's working out great for them... oh wait.
Microsoft also has done major per-year updates for each version of Windows that, cumulatively, would likely be equivalent to the various changes introduced in each recent major iteration of OS X.

No one is saying that Apple can't release OS X updates so don't be an idiot and try to say such. Apple doesn't have to push a few changes as an entire major revision to OS X. Waiting two years for a collection of major changes is also idiotic for sure a la the old system, but the announced features for OS 10.10 so far don't really seem to be worth the ".10" iteration.

quote:

And I'm thinking a horrible mistake like the GUI of Windows 8 would have already been fixed by the hypothetical 2013 version of Windows
Windows 8.1? Not to derail to Windows discussion, but the only major issue currently outstanding is the missing "true" start button and that's officially returning in a couple of months with Update 1 which, hey, is a major update within a year of Windows 8.1. Then again, if that GUI had been something pushed by Apple in OS X, you'd be all over it so...

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Given that OS X versions are now free, does it really matter what numbers they give them?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Windows 8.1 Update 1? Are they seriously going with such a spiraling naming convention?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Microsoft also has done major per-year updates for each version of Windows that, cumulatively, would likely be equivalent to the various changes introduced in each recent major iteration of OS X.

No one is saying that Apple can't release OS X updates so don't be an idiot and try to say such. Apple doesn't have to push a few changes as an entire major revision to OS X. Waiting two years for a collection of major changes is also idiotic for sure a la the old system, but the announced features for OS 10.10 so far don't really seem to be worth the ".10" iteration.

Windows 8.1? Not to derail to Windows discussion, but the only major issue currently outstanding is the missing "true" start button and that's officially returning in a couple of months with Update 1 which, hey, is a major update within a year of Windows 8.1. Then again, if that GUI had been something pushed by Apple in OS X, you'd be all over it so...

You're just latching onto my posts because I called your "Enterprise means Windows" creed BS. I'm not the guy with the myopic Windows-centric OS view here. I'm using Windows 8.1, several Linux Distributions and OS X without any issues, and I try to use the correct tool for each job. They each serve different purposes with different philosophies.

Anyway, yes, MS is making updates, but Windows 8.1 is still Windows 8 looks wise. They're unlikely to introduce a complete reworking of their GUI in 8.2. If they'll do it, they'll do it in 9, 10 or whatever. And those major number releases only come out every 3-5 years or so.

Your last comment is just a baseless attempt at an insult. I personally never had a problem with the GUI of Windows 8/8.1/8.1 Update 1/whatever other name the committee may design next. It's easy enough to work with Windows 8 and its children, because the desktop is still there and nobody is forced to use the tiles. I had called it a "horrible mistake" because it alienated lots of customers, as shown in its slow adoption numbers.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Given that OS X versions are now free, does it really matter what numbers they give them?

No.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

binarysmurf posted:

I'd really like to see Apple go back to a bi-annual release schedule,

No, you wouldn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljkaN_-d-Zg

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SourKraut posted:

The yearly windows updates have always been in the past background and framework stuff. They rarely, if ever add new features or GUI enhancements. They're basically comparable to 10.9.x updates from OS X, but the rate at which they come is once per year as opposed to every few months.

Basically what I'm trying to say is windows takes 1 year per update to address issues, while OS X takes a few months to address issues than includes enhancements/features yearly. If we were on the windows update schedule we would have just gotten OS X icloud syncing this year.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Windows 8.1 Update 1? Are they seriously going with such a spiraling naming convention?

Unfortunately yes.

Kingnothing posted:

Basically what I'm trying to say is windows takes 1 year per update to address issues, while OS X takes a few months to address issues than includes enhancements/features yearly. If we were on the windows update schedule we would have just gotten OS X icloud syncing this year.
I agree to an extent, but at the same time, there has been functionality added that never should have been omitted that Apple calls amazing new "features" in a new OS X release that really should have been corrected during an update. The multiple display blank screen when maximizing an app in one screen comes to mind.

Ultimately it comes back to the much tighter control Apple has over OS X that allows it to push more frequent updates and it definitely makes it useful from having hardware/software stability. Windows has its place and it's not in this thread, but Microsoft pushes monthly patches of fixes/minor issue updates that, over the span of 3-4 months it takes to get a major OS X update, probably is roughly equivalent in scope. Don't be facetious.

As it stands though, I still don't see anything too impressive in 10.10 yet to warrant it getting the .10 monicker.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SourKraut posted:

As it stands though, I still don't see anything too impressive in 10.10 yet to warrant it getting the .10 monicker.

Remember Snow Leopard?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, they should just push out a total interface reskin as 10.9.4. :rolleyes:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Exactly my point. What MS should be doing is tone down that tile interface nobody likes and move into some application that people can remove from their start menus, but they're not going to do this in Windows 8.1 Update 1 Service Pack 1. They're more likely to do this in Windows 9, if at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Follow up on my router:

So I had a net gear router, it was having issues with dropping Internet signal, so I got the apple time capsule. My speeds are supposed to be 50MB with Comcast, my router was getting 23ish.

The apple one is getting me 43MB downloads with my iPad and 112 MB downloads with my Macbok Air. I'd say my issue is solved.

And yes, I would still agree I probably overpaid. But it was easy to setup, I got the backups working pretty well, so I think I'm good.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Yes because OS X has never had translucency before or a 2D "refined" dock before . :rolls eyes:

I am happy about some of the UI elements though. (It's funny though that the 2D dock is returning after Mountain Lion switched to a runtime rendering Ian's eliminated the ability to revert the dock to a 2D view when it used PNG images for the dock). But anyway we can continue this discussion further in the OS X software thread or via PMs.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Yes because OS X has never had translucency before or a 2D "refined" dock before . :rolls eyes:

You're missing the point here: The point isn't that certain elements of 10.10 have never been seen before, the point is that by decades-old convention, nobody, neither MS nor Apple, would make major changes to their look and feel in a point release.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Duckman2008 posted:

Follow up on my router:

So I had a net gear router, it was having issues with dropping Internet signal, so I got the apple time capsule. My speeds are supposed to be 50MB with Comcast, my router was getting 23ish.

The apple one is getting me 43MB downloads with my iPad and 112 MB downloads with my Macbok Air. I'd say my issue is solved.

And yes, I would still agree I probably overpaid. But it was easy to setup, I got the backups working pretty well, so I think I'm good.

You could have bought a refurb AEBS 5th gen for $85 if you didn't need the TC backup and didn't need the 802.11ac, but as long as you're happy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Mac Pros are now available off the shelf at Apple Retail Stores.