Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Great White Hope posted:

I wonder what kind of team you could build made of guys purely based on their best 50-PA/game/inning stretches.

edit:

better one

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I decided to check, and maybe the silliest part of this (other than the whole 163 games per 162 games thing), is that that doubles rate wouldn't be the single-season record.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I *think* I got the best 50 at bat stretch from Tulo's September 2010.

Side note - does Chris Shelton still lay in bed at night wondering what the Hell happened?

Edit - Nevermind. Forgot BAbip subtracts out HRs.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maldonado hit the cover off a ball, though, so he's got that going for him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mark Teixeira is kind of funny guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wtKMw3kOwk

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

Great White Hope posted:

I wonder what kind of team you could build made of guys purely based on their best 50-PA/game/inning stretches.

I like this one since the dude was mediocre for 17 years outside of one absurd month.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
How quickly we forget Bryan LaHair's torrid April 2012, which allowed him to get into the All-Star Game

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Someone find Lance Berkman's insane 50-75 (maybe 100) PA. I think he was batting .600 and had an OPS close to 2. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I *think* I got the best 50 at bat stretch from Tulo's September 2010.

Side note - does Chris Shelton still lay in bed at night wondering what the Hell happened?

Edit - Nevermind. Forgot BAbip subtracts out HRs.

Still, batting .388 with a .212 BABIP is kind of nuts

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Storm posted:

Still, batting .388 with a .212 BABIP is kind of nuts

Yeah - My edit was originally questioning if that was right, but had forgotten how BAbip was calculated. 12 HRs in 19 hits will throw that off pretty bad.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Abel Wingnut posted:

Someone find Lance Berkman's insane 50-75 (maybe 100) PA. I think he was batting .600 and had an OPS close to 2. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I found this for him, didn't do a full research though.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
You guys spent half the day talking about Martin Maldonado's hitting ability and no one made a sucker-punch joke?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Crion posted:

I'll give you credit, the idea of moving Jonathan Lucroy off catcher is one I'd literally never considered (because it's downright insane, Lucroy is one of the best catchers in baseball)

edit: like as good as you think Maldonado is for snap throws from the knees or whatever, Jonathan Lucroy is better. All around a better defender, receiver, hitter. You don't go moving dudes like that around the diamond on a semi-permanent basis because of 54 hot PA by your backup

OK, yeah, maybe my giant glowing optimism about the Brewers this year is making me a bit blind. Also, I think that folks would be calling Lucroy the best catcher in baseball if his last name was Molina, tbh.

I just want to believe that we can do better than Mark Reynolds striking out 200 times at first base. I mean, look at the career single-season strikeout records:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_season.shtml
Mark Reynolds is number 1, 4, 6, and 12 on there. If the Brewers aren't going to spend for a 1st baseman, I think having Maldonado in the lineup is less dumb than having Reynolds.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Trying to pry Seth Smith free from the Padres for a low-level prospect, platooning him with Reynolds at 1B, and shooting Lyle Overbay into the sun is probably a better dream scenario for this year's Brewers than moving Lucroy and Maldonado around

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The dream is dead. Johan Santana tore his achilles and is obviously done.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

:(

These last two or three years have not been an appropriate send-off for Johan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

zakharov posted:

The dream is dead. Johan Santana tore his achilles and is obviously done.

Just after the O's put themselves on the hook for his $3 million salary.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

That is a brutal injury :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interesting both LeHair and that Detroit guy had bad bb k ratios in their streaks but Bonds well Bonds is good.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Just going to leave this here

quote:

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin 29m
Houston Chronicle: apparently @phillies made clerical error on H. Pence deal w #astros & by mistake put wrong plyr in deal: domingo Santana

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/06/02/singleton-move-a-reminder-how-the-astros-won-the-pence-trade/#22102103=0&23907101=0 (third graf)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The baseball gods will take their blood price for the Mets no hitter.

RIP Johan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That deal is still awful even if they don't make that mistake.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGvwhz6MW4

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Watched that whole thing and I still got nervous at the end.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Popete posted:

Watched that whole thing and I still got nervous at the end.

I'd like to think that even if he knew what happened afterwards, Johan might have wanted to throw that no hitter. Goodnight Sweet Prince

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
RIP Johan. You were good.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

I still get chills watching that final out. I'm never going to forget that night, Thank you, Johan.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
He was having such a good season, too. Johan is cool as gently caress in my book.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

JackssWastedLife posted:

I'd like to think that even if he knew what happened afterwards, Johan might have wanted to throw that no hitter. Goodnight Sweet Prince

I seem to remember JeffersonLives posting a fairly informative post about how the pitch count during the (*cough* Beltran *cough*) no hitter pretty clearly had nothing to do with his injury.

On that note - anyone know where he's been? Don't remember seeing him post in months.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I seem to remember JeffersonLives posting a fairly informative post about how the pitch count during the (*cough* Beltran *cough*) no hitter pretty clearly had nothing to do with his injury.

On that note - anyone know where he's been? Don't remember seeing him post in months.

Yea, I'm pretty sure you can't come close to saying X caused Y. But after X a bunch of Y happened so it looks bad :(

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

While we're posting ridiculous lines, let us not forget George Brett in 1980. Hitting .475 over 270 plate appearances is just absurd...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ryan Howard, batting .228, .300 OBP, 3rd in NL in RBIs

Dominic Brown, OPS of .569, has more RBIs (30) than Chase Utley (29)

Abolish the RBI

e: Brown is 30th in RBIs with a loving .569 OPS, the closest ranking batters to that OPS are Jedd Gyorko, who has 24 RBIs (52nd) with a .482 OPS, and Yonder Alonso, who has 19 RBIs (68th) with a .585 OPS, both San Diego proud

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ryan Howard, batting .228, .300 OBP, 3rd in NL in RBIs

Dominic Brown, OPS of .569, has more RBIs (30) than Chase Utley (29)

Abolish the RBI

e: Brown is 30th in RBIs with a loving .569 OPS, the closest ranking batters to that OPS are Jedd Gyorko, who has 24 RBIs (52nd) with a .482 OPS, and Yonder Alonso, who has 19 RBIs (68th) with a .585 OPS, both San Diego proud

So your complaint here is that this Phillies are scoring too much? I would grant your wish, if I could.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"I don't like green tea because I'm a man"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mornacale posted:

So your complaint here is that this Phillies are scoring too much? I would grant your wish, if I could.
They're definitely not, although they have a couple of games where they just randomly explode. But I'm definitely looking forward to Ryan Howard finishing top 10 in MVP voting with a .235 batting average because HRs and RBIs Just Means Clutch

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

They're definitely not, although they have a couple of games where they just randomly explode. But I'm definitely looking forward to Ryan Howard finishing top 10 in MVP voting with a .235 batting average because HRs and RBIs Just Means Clutch

RBIs were cited as one of the reasons Mike Moustakas was still with the big league club a while back (before they sent him down for a whole week and now he's totally fixed). If dingers came along with the RBIs I'd actually be pretty cool with him because Royals.

He's like 7th on the team by the way and they were lying through their teeth, but whatever.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I can't find the newbie MLB thread anymore, so how should this have been scored?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v33497591/ladcol-rockies-challenge-in-7th-call-overturned

It was scored three different ways during the game. A double with a put out. A single with a put out. Now it's a "M Kemp singled to deep center, M Kemp out stretching at second." which is different than it was at the end of the game.

So what SHOULD the scoring have been? Note that the challenge was at second, not at first, but the first out is at first because of the Lopes touch.

Also V: The SNLA folks (the guys who call the game for the Dodgers) had no clue of what happened at first base. Kudos to the Rockies broadcasting team for picking it up.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Alex Avila got concussed again on a backswing.

:rip:

How does one guy get beat up this much? Is there something wrong with his defensive technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

zakharov posted:

Alex Avila got concussed again on a backswing.

:rip:

How does one guy get beat up this much? Is there something wrong with his defensive technique?

Don't worry, Brad Ausmus says it's just a minor one and he could be back whenever.

lol

• Locked thread