Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nothing before Mirage should ever be cited as a valid precedent for anything, ever.

Probably nothing from Planar Chaos either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

:colbert:

Everblight posted:

The problem with Venomdrinker is this:

He won't exist in a format where poison doesn't matter. Any format he's in, is one that Infect is back for, or Poison is a 'thing' again, and he just straight-up hoses those strategies. The gotcha aspect of having flash after they all in on Might of Old Krosa just makes him even less healthy in the format. As MaRo said, it was important as they designed Mirrodin 2 that no cards ever removed poison counters, to make them count and push them in a big way. This guy actively counters your block theme, the same way early block hosers like Stabilizer and Melting do.

I disagree. They printed Melira, and she hoses poison worse than this guy ever could. He's not too bad to play around, since any level of poison between 10 and 15 not only doesn't win you the game, but causes you to lose as a SBA if he's ever removed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Completely busted, especially with cascade.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think that's what the second ability is for, but Cascade casts from exile, so it doesn't help.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

I think that's what the second ability is for, but Cascade casts from exile, so it doesn't help.

Just change the last two sentences to "If this was cast using suspend, you win the game".

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
For the rules of this contest, does the card have to say "you win the game" or can it be functionally the same? Because that card would be way cooler if it said "deals 30 damage to target creature or player" instead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kabanaw posted:

For the rules of this contest, does the card have to say "you win the game" or can it be functionally the same? Because that card would be way cooler if it said "deals 30 damage to target creature or player" instead.

From the rules of the contest:

quote:

Your entry needs to have "win the game" or "lose the game" somewhere on it. Something that deals 20 damage or mills 60 wouldn't count. For example, Phage the Untouchable would be fair game but Dark Depths wouldn't. Infect or poisonous on a card by themselves don't count either, wise guy

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kabanaw posted:

I don't know how everyone can look at that card and just not see the most clear path to success:

quote:

Super Kaio-Ken
Sorcery [MR]
Suspend 3 RRWW

Clash with an opponent. If you win, you win the game.

I hope my body can take it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mikujin posted:

I don't know how everyone can look at that card and just not see the most clear path to success:

Well it removes the flavor of DBZ taking ten episodes to do anything. :colbert:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well it removes the flavor of DBZ taking ten episodes to do anything. :colbert:

I guess it could be Suspend 10 for one R/W. But as a "FIGHT FOR JUSTICE" card it's clearly in white, maybe in red given how it accomplishes this (brute force).

But a DBZ-themed card that wins games pretty much has to have Clash on it.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Yes, I realize that the vote is not relevant, but I realized that Will of the Council is neat flavor for something like this.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Actually, you could make it so the vote isn't binary. Loses a little flavor, but "Starting with you, each player votes for another player. The player with the most or tied for the most votes loses the game."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Actually, you could make it so the vote isn't binary. Loses a little flavor, but "Starting with you, each player votes for another player. The player with the most or tied for the most votes loses the game."
Soviet Canuckistan, if you change one goddamn letter on that perfectly-crafted card, I will cut your family. That is a thing of goddamned beauty and the most flavorful blend of natural language and rules that I've ever seen. Your card is on fire. (The post continues to burn.)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The clause might be a bit oppressive, but I think the wording works. I was thinking more towards counterspells, but I don't know if "If ~ is countered, you lose the game instead" is valid wording, so it's a bit grandiose (and dangerous) now.

I also was drawing a blank on an image, which is a pain.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

The idea here is mini-gameish; if you're sacrificing all your creatures, you open yourself up to being one-shot once you have enough Auction counters to matter, bu if you aren't careful your opponent(s) can get it right out from under you.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Is it possible for multiple players to win at the same time with that card?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LordSaturn posted:

poo poo, didn't realize that. Let me fix the templating.

I looked up the templating-- this is the cleanest way to do what I want. I wanted to make it so you can't Cascade into victory.

And yes, taking ten turns at a minimum is an essential part of the flavor.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is it possible for multiple players to win at the same time with that card?

That's true, and very awkward. Here's a slight tweak that prevents that.

Edit: You saw nothing.

Namagem fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 6, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

You might as well call this "Contract with Johnny" because it's so in need of combo pieces to do anything worthwhile.

A+++++ would cast again.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I wanted to do a card like that as monoblack, but I couldn't think of a way to cost it or fix it to keep it from being "X number of players just lose", which strikes me as being really unfun, so I eventually scrapped the idea.

This is multiplayer oriented.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

This is multiplayer oriented.
You choose players, you name cards.

When Viva La Revolucion enters the battlefield, choose an opponent with a higher life total. When that player loses the game, you win the game.
Whenever a creature you control attacks the chosen player, it gains Dethrone until end of turn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

You choose players, you name cards.

When Viva La Revolucion enters the battlefield, choose an opponent with a higher life total. When that player loses the game, you win the game.
Whenever a creature you control attacks the chosen player, it gains Dethrone until end of turn.

Thank you.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If you change the second ability to trigger on attack, then you're going to be granting Dethrone to creatures that have already attacked, so they can't get a counter unless you then have a second combat phase.

I'm not actually sure if the static version actually works. I can't think of a precedent to check.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Please get your Superfriends jank on here. (For proper flavour, use any and all combinations of pre-Mending 'walkers with no/reduced sparks: Karn, Liliana, Sorin, Nicol Bolas and Teferi. No-one with Green, which is maybe a bit awkward for a five colour card.)

Hahaha, I got a legitimate common into this challenge! Only because all schemes are common but, still, I revel in this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Oh look, I made a BW one:

Thought about maybe having it hand out vampire and human tokens to each side and working on the relative numbers, but it was fiddly.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edited this card to make it cleaner and so it all fits within 8 lines of text.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Another drawing victory condition. This one might be too easy though.

The exact numbers for cards like these can be pretty tough some times. I think at eight creatures you can't expect to just dump your hand and win with this, but that it's still possible with a deck built around it.

Slow, but inevitable (unless your opponent has a hexproof guy, but hey).

Someone already took this name, but gently caress it, I'm running with it. I'd like to see what the manabase is like for a deck built around this.

Phage junior, but as a ninja. The mana costs might be too high, but boy, is your opponent going to have to play it safe once they've taken their doom counter and you have 5BB open.

One of the tricky parts of this contest is that I'm not sure if I want to make really clever cards that build up to their own win condition, or just stick with simple "You win the game when X happens" cards, which is what the majority of Wizards designed cards in this vein are. "Win the Game" is kind of the sledgehammer of card designer skills. It looks pretty loving awesome when you use it right, but it's rarely the right tool to actually use, which makes this a good contest category.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Yeah I have no illusions this is all that original, but it fits within the flavor of the rest of the cards from the set.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

GyroNinja posted:

Slow, but inevitable (unless your opponent has a hexproof guy, but hey).
Cards that take this long to win (ie. Darksteel Reactor) should probably not have the unfortunate downside of being completely shutdown by something like Gladecover Scout or Geist, as they tend to want to be non-interactive. Also, the win condition checks to see if permanents are 'corrupted', but we've not defined what that condition is (even with reminder text). Mana cost for something like this is also finicky, since getting it online too early (via any fast mana/accelerants) could also make it too easy to win. Probably wants a timing restriction.

Given that it's also a Phyrexian thingy, being an artifact is probably also more in-theme. My riff on something similar:

quote:

Phyrexian Compleator 1(PG)(PB)
Legendary Artifact
Indestructible
You can't cast ~ during your first, second, or third turn of the game.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a corruption counter on a permanent of your choice.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if all permanents that player controls have corruption counters on them, that player loses the game.
All will be one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GyroNinja posted:

Another drawing victory condition. This one might be too easy though.

I think it is. Between Jin-Gitaxias and Blue Sun's Zenith (and most draw spells in general) being blue, I don't think it's the hardest thing to gather up seven cards. But I like the idea so I'm ok, numbers are a development issue I'd say.

Also, reposting one of mine from the Greek Mythology challenge, similar to your Cultural Victory, with an Odyssey slant to it.

The Islands clause refers to how the journey of Odysseus ultimately was to return to Ithaki, and to his wife Persephone. "Nostos" means "the return to home", and it's a central theme of the epic.
Although part of me wants to make one based on another poem, but I'm not sure how.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Here's another, except I'm not 100% on this one, hence the playtest border:

I kinda want to add deathtouch to it, but I feel like that would be too much. It's basically Vraska's assassin tokens as is, though (It started life as "One hit KO", a red spell that was a sorcery that did this for one turn.)

Namagem fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

At 10 lands, your opponents' little guys don't have the stamina to reach you. At 20 lands, your opponents' spells can't reach you. At 30 lands, you're king of all that you see, and a substantial amount of what you can't see, and therefore big enough to just ignore the peasantry entirely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Veyrall posted:

At 10 lands, your opponents' little guys don't have the stamina to reach you. At 20 lands, your opponents' spells can't reach you. At 30 lands, you're king of all that you see, and a substantial amount of what you can't see, and therefore big enough to just ignore the peasantry entirely.

This could probably stand to be buffed a little, 30 lands is outrageous. What about :

"Creatures with power less than half the number of lands you control, round down, cannot attack you. As long as you control ten or more lands, you have hexproof.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control 25 or more lands, you win the game."

If you want to make it harder to win, swap the GU cost for a UW (or even monowhite, there isn't much blue about it) cost, since forcing you to dip into green to cast it actually makes it easier to win with, what with green ramp being a thing.

I like how this card is simultaneously the durdliest EDH wincon ever, and also punishes other do-nothing EDH decks.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Serperoth posted:

I think it is. Between Jin-Gitaxias and Blue Sun's Zenith (and most draw spells in general) being blue, I don't think it's the hardest thing to gather up seven cards. But I like the idea so I'm ok, numbers are a development issue I'd say.

Also, reposting one of mine from the Greek Mythology challenge, similar to your Cultural Victory, with an Odyssey slant to it.

The Islands clause refers to how the journey of Odysseus ultimately was to return to Ithaki, and to his wife Persephone. "Nostos" means "the return to home", and it's a central theme of the epic.
Although part of me wants to make one based on another poem, but I'm not sure how.

Let's see, the Iliad was about the Trojan War, which was won by the Trojan Horse, which is already a card. Ignoring the way it already works, something like Tap > Make a man > If you have 20 of those mans, YOU WIN! YAY!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I had basically exactly the opposite idea.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

megane posted:

I had basically exactly the opposite idea.

This would be pretty awesome to hard cast with Hive Mind out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Let's see, the Iliad was about the Trojan War, which was won by the Trojan Horse, which is already a card. Ignoring the way it already works, something like Tap > Make a man > If you have 20 of those mans, YOU WIN! YAY!

I was thinking more along the lines of the poem Ithaki, which is about looking at the journey and not the destination.
Trojan Horse, if I were to make it, I'd have it exile your dudes from the battlefield, or an one-sided Show and Tell effect, rather than making tokens. Just personal opinion.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
For some reason, I thought Moat was a blue card.

I buffed it a little for other formats, though it's kind of a bastard in EDH now. I am also completely fine with winning the game as a state-based effect upon playing your 20th land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Updated one more time, should be completely workable now.

• Locked thread