Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can get someone to treat it as a classic so you get classic insurance (should be doable, they're 25+ years old now), and be over the age limit for such a policy (often 25), you might fare better for having one as a second car, though you'd still have to pay the road tax 」230 a year, probably significantly more than your 107 - go 1974 or older, and you'll definitely get classic cover, plus free road tax, but it depends on what kind of cars you like, and how restricted you are for space to keep multiple cars etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
So newest least favorite job ever. Blower motor and amplifier in a 2008 Sentra....

Heater core levels of stupidity.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ughhhhhhh

First really hot day of the year (got up to like 97 with 50% humidity) and now the loving house A/C is acting up. Compressor seems to be running, "Cool On" indicator on the thermostat lights up (but eventually starts flashing, which worries me) and the air handler gets cold, but the fan won't kick on, even when set to "on" instead of "auto".

This is a whole new A/C system; the whole refrigeration system, air handler and thermostat were replaced last year, including a new, larger condenser assembly (for whatever new refrigerant they're phasing in). I also found out today that it has a re-usable mesh type filter; we cleaned it and just reinstalled it, no change so far. Hopefully something's not hosed up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Warranty time!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon bucket swamp coolers for my beetle. Bad idea or worst idea? I think a high CFM 120mm fan, a 12v pond pump, and a bucket with some holes drilled in it is worth an afternoon of my time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon bucket swamp coolers for my beetle. Bad idea or worst idea? I think a high CFM 120mm fan, a 12v pond pump, and a bucket with some holes drilled in it is worth an afternoon of my time.

Do it, you're in a dry climate, right?

I'd kill for one just for simplicity's sake, but they don't loving working when it's 60% humidity for the entire hot season (April to early January)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I live in Phoenix. It's like an average of 7% humidity for weeks on end. Seriously, I have every part except for the tubing and mesh just sitting around. I even have an old 12v aquarium pump.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do post up on how well that works if you build it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Geirskogul posted:

Got a quick DIY link? I've got most of that stuff collecting dust and with it being 80-85 and decent humidity, I'd like to give this a shot.

Fucknag posted:

ughhhhhhh

First really hot day of the year (got up to like 97 with 50% humidity) and now the loving house A/C is acting up. Compressor seems to be running, "Cool On" indicator on the thermostat lights up (but eventually starts flashing, which worries me) and the air handler gets cold, but the fan won't kick on, even when set to "on" instead of "auto".

This is a whole new A/C system; the whole refrigeration system, air handler and thermostat were replaced last year, including a new, larger condenser assembly (for whatever new refrigerant they're phasing in). I also found out today that it has a re-usable mesh type filter; we cleaned it and just reinstalled it, no change so far. Hopefully something's not hosed up.

This happened to me at an apartment I lived in. Turns out the A/C had a serviceable fuse inside it somewhere and it blew.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 8, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

freelop posted:

Aye it's already gone down a fair bit, partly due to the tracker showing I'm not a lunatic driver.

I've been listening to Carpenter Brut and looking at MK1 MR2s on ebay but insurance would put me back 」1,316.52 per year

Carpenter Brut's more appropriate for a Supra or front-engined 80s Porsche, in my opinion.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

ughhhhhhh

Does the fan motor even make a humming/buzzing? If so, I'd bet on a bad capacitor. If not, it could be, well, anything.. they've added so many drat electronics to those things dagnabit. :corsair::arghfist: There's usually a status LED somewhere on the control board, and whatever panel you have to remove from the air handler to get to it will have a chart showing what blinks mean what. On most units I've had, it's whatever panel you remove to get to the blower.

Still, 1 year old.. call the installer. I would hope it'd still be under warranty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

32? Bastard, I thought you were old, you're a year younger than me :(

I just got offered a £100 Triumph GT6, I'm trying to figure out so hard where I can put it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Does the fan motor even make a humming/buzzing? If so, I'd bet on a bad capacitor. If not, it could be, well, anything.. they've added so many drat electronics to those things dagnabit. :corsair::arghfist: There's usually a status LED somewhere on the control board, and whatever panel you have to remove from the air handler to get to it will have a chart showing what blinks mean what. On most units I've had, it's whatever panel you remove to get to the blower.

Still, 1 year old.. call the installer. I would hope it'd still be under warranty.

alright so loving

no noise, and there's a big amber led light that's lit up that probably should not be

quarter to four and the fucker still won't blow, im guessing something is hosed. probably make a service appointment tomorrow.

i have been keeping cool by drinking beers. i am drunk, hot and tired so I will probably hit the sack.

loving air conditioners.

e: 80 degrees inside right now, and it'll only get hotter once the sun rises. gently caress me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I come across older than I am most of the time (this is not the same as more mature). Look it as well :xd:. Doesn't bother me so much any more, I found it actually helped when I was starting my career, people would take me more seriously than if I seemed like a spotty yoof.

quote:

I just got offered a £100 Triumph GT6, I'm trying to figure out so hard where I can put it.
There is always space somewhere. Besides, I can't really see any situation where you couldn't immediately flip it for a good profit.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

And that was a reduction of about 」700 from the year before :suicide:

We have all got our expensive insurance out of the way. the first car I insured was a 20 year old Volvo worth 」200 insured at 」2k/year. My Landrover is stupidly cheap because it is insured as a second classic car (technically a third classic car as I have 2 classic policies with the same company) and land rovers are also very cheap to insure! - I Had it as my main insured car when I was 20 due to this.
I had to wait till I was 25 to get the turbo'd car I wanted.

Your 107 price isn't that bad. My main insured car now is an aygo with 10 years no claim and I still pay around 」300/year for that. I'm 34 now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Your 107 price isn't that bad. My main insured car now is an aygo with 10 years no claim and I still pay around 」300/year for that. I'm 34 now.
I should have said, yes, this is about what I pay on the Clio. 」300 is about the floor for "normal" insurance for me, I've found.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fucknag posted:

alright so loving

no noise, and there's a big amber led light that's lit up that probably should not be

quarter to four and the fucker still won't blow, im guessing something is hosed. probably make a service appointment tomorrow.

i have been keeping cool by drinking beers. i am drunk, hot and tired so I will probably hit the sack.

loving air conditioners.

e: 80 degrees inside right now, and it'll only get hotter once the sun rises. gently caress me.

Sometimes you can pull a trouble code out by pushing a button and counting the number of blinks. You should be familiar with the general idea if you've ever worked on a pre OBD2 car with computer diagnostics. :P

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cakefool posted:

How about 45? Old? gently caress no :D

Has there ever been a AI regular older than me anyway???

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Any goons got a mini? The real one not the BMW shitfest.

My local scrapyard who I work for doing it bits and bibs has one. I really need someone to tell me what to loom for when I view it. It's gonna be a restoration as it's in a scrappy but if there is something too major or expensive I will walk away.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thegasman2000 posted:

My local scrapyard who I work for doing it bits and bibs has one. I really need someone to tell me what to loom for when I view it. It's gonna be a restoration as it's in a scrappy but if there is something too major or expensive I will walk away.

Bulk Vanderhuge has one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Used to. The big thing? RUST RUST RUST. Look in the battery box (notorious), around the windshield etc (also around the subframes. Rear especially. Front subframe usually isnt too bad because of the oil leaks will protect it. I'm not joking on that one). Now, depending on the model (Classic? Clubman? Series III?) you also will need to look at the suspension (Hydrolastic ones are horrid to fix and at this age.... hooooo boy will it ever need fixing! The rubber cone ones arent too bad for wear and tear), electricals are Lucas so.... well I'd just expect them to be dodgy.

Engine-wise, what is it? 850cc seems unlikely (And if it is GET IT and fix it!) 998cc is the more common in the Classic, 1175 is a bit rare and of course 1275. They tend to be in the Clubmmans and Series III. 998's are pretty bullet proof, 1275's might need some work. They all leak.

Gearbox? Dont expect too much in the way of goodness, it's n old car. But they arent hard to fix.

I left out one particular engine, which is the 997. This is for a Cooper. If it's a Classic and it's got a 997, you REALLY want to take a good look at the chassis numbers. A 997 Cooper is worth the big effort because they are quite desireable, TBH probably moeso than the other Coopers and the Cooper S. Also a 1071cc engine might well be worth a better look too. I really doubt a Cooper would be in a scrap yard now tho. MUCH too valuable but who knows, you might get absurdly lucky.

Okay, real Minis are going to be a mess at this age BUT they arent bad to work on, parts arent actaully that expensive (there's still a huge parts trade in the UK) and if the rust is passable (There's going to be rust, it's the nature of the car), it's a good project. I am rather puzzled why a Mini would be in a scrap yard these days - they are pretty popular restoration targets or at the least donor for projects. Got pics?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Cat Terrist posted:

I am rather puzzled why a Mini would be in a scrap yard these days - they are pretty popular restoration targets or at the least donor for projects. Got pics?

I live in rural wiltshire and you would not believe the things people scrap! It's an affluent area and when people die and barns are emptied... I will pop over tomorrow and get some pics and investigate more.

For examples of silly stuff turning up. Robin reliant in mint condition taxed and tested. 」100 paid scrap! Audi Quattro in great condition 」150 paid. Old ford d series lorry/truck flatbed. Driven in and 」200 paid. We frequently get tax expired but mot left cars in and pay peanuts. I got a 1989 long wheel base transit with tax and test for 」200 which is now being turned into a camper. Nothing better to tow than a mini right?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Cakefool posted:

My drive?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everything Cat Terrist said, but also check for rust.

Luckily, you can get practically every single part for one, so anything is fixable, but that isn't especially wallet-friendly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

thegasman2000 posted:

They leak, they rust and their electrical system is poo poo. Other than that they are fun to drive and easy to work on. Old room mate worked on them and has a few between him and his Dad. Great little cars and I'll own one at some point just to beat on for a while.

If it's not rusted to hell pick it up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Addendum to last night: gently caress waking up on 4 hours' sleep for a drat baby shower.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Where is your drive?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

How about 45? Old? gently caress no :D

JhnnyThndrs always seemed like he was probably in his 40s or so, just based on how long he had been working on diffs and the depth of his knowledge of older drivetrains.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Addendum to last night: gently caress waking up on 4 hours' sleep for a drat baby shower.

Is it for you and your wife or for someone else? I've never heard of men going to baby showers before...

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
http://tinyurl.com/mkqwzaz

:aaa:

ughh I wasn't planning on an IRS swap but that's the first time I've seen one for less than $1100.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cat Terrist posted:

Quite a few. :haw:

(not me, though I'm older than most of these whippersnappers at 35)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Cakefool posted:

Where is your drive?

I mean sell it to me! In wiltshire. :/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm getting married three weeks from today and holy poo poo can I not wait to see my family and go sit on a beach for two weeks. It's going to be amazingly relaxing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress no, I have a chance to own a gt6 for pocket change. Currently my options are wait for someone around here that rents a garage to die, or spend thousands sorting out the driveway of the house I'm renting so it'll fit two cars. No friend or relative has anywhere they can store a car for a year until I move, I already exhausted that option when I had an option on a 37k mile Volvo 240 for under a grand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it will physically fit on the driveway, and it's just that the access is crap, you can probably manhandle it into place.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is there no RV storage you can rent a space from anywhere near by?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Name them, I'm honestly curious on this one :)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Propaganda Bob posted:

http://tinyurl.com/mkqwzaz

:aaa:

ughh I wasn't planning on an IRS swap but that's the first time I've seen one for less than $1100.

I saw that one and really wish he would ship it, I need one for the Exocet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure this means i'm your new king :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its time to bow down fellas

• Locked thread