Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was really glad the 6-part "there's no continuity" thing was over, and then that happened. I guess if Hitler was funny in Monty Python, a ginger rapist could be funny here, but he'll have to work extra hard in the second part to make that poo poo work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Wasn't this show funny once? And not a big heaping helping of Serious Issues, preachy characters and cringeworthy awfulness? Jesus. I watched a few bits of my season one dvd the other day and it sounds like night and day.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So the scene where Louie and Amia where in the restaurant and the waiter read the letter really got to me. I thought it was beautiful - when the waiter started to get misty-eyed is when it got me to cry though. Something I love about this show is that there's an overriding love of human connection in it. It goes from the waiter letting Louie hold his hand to Louie hilariously getting up and letting the crazy guy talk to him.

I don't really care if those episodes weren't really funny. I'm actually kind of glad that we're living in an environment where a show can be allowed to effectively switch and even mix genres for a few episodes in order to get something across. It wasn't very funny, no - but I didn't feel any less rewarded by it. I even felt more rewarded, in fact, in that final scene, when the waiter just couldn't find the right word... Where there was this beautiful humanity present, and even though the situation was surreal I really felt for it. Enough to make me tear-up a little.

But maybe that makes me a jerk.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Anaranjado posted:

Wasn't this show funny once? And not a big heaping helping of Serious Issues, preachy characters and cringeworthy awfulness? Jesus. I watched a few bits of my season one dvd the other day and it sounds like night and day.

How dare somebody do something different with a TV show.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I feel this shouldn't have to be said but here goes: Just because the creator is a comedian doesn't mean the creation is solely a comedy.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Anaranjado posted:

Yeah man, remember all those hilarious season 1 episodes? Like the one where young Louie learns all about Jesus' wounds and breaks into a church to ease his suffering? Or the one where he has a run-in with a teenage bully and follows him home?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Anaranjado posted:

This is a good show because it's different, and it's good at being different. It pulls feelings and reactions out of you that other shows don't. It's funny because the star is a comedian, and he knows how to make you laugh - when he wants to.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah man, remember all those hilarious season 1 episodes? Like the one where young Louie learns all about Jesus' wounds and breaks into a church to ease his suffering? Or the one where he has a run-in with a teenage bully and follows him home?

That episode with the bully is my favorite in the whole series. Sadly there hasn't been anything in season 4 that comes close, or at least not yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Breadallelogram posted:

How dare somebody do something different with a TV show.

Oh, CK can make Louie into a holocaust documentary for all I care, but unless he'd have something new and interesting to say, I wouldn't be particularly interested in following the show in that direction.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bubblelubble posted:

I feel this shouldn't have to be said but here goes: Just because the creator is a comedian doesn't mean the creation is solely a comedy.

I definitely still consider it a comedy at heart, just a very, very black one that's mostly experimental. The main point of the show seems to be to highlight the ways in which life and social interaction is loving weird if you think about it. I can see why people call it pretentious, but consider the notion that it is pretty much unlike every other show ever made, and I think it's perfectly fair for it to make some missteps along the way.

I will say, though, that the weirder the show gets, the more out of place the stand-up bits feel, since they're the only scenes that are firmly situated in anything resembling reality.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Remember in season 1 or 2 where the contractor lady basically raped Louie in her truck. After she bashes his head off the window, shattering it, to force him to go down on her, she then asks if he wants to go out again and he's like "oh yeah sure".

I'm sure if he was asked about it he'd be able to give some ~believable explanation as to what the Pam scene meant, and absolve himself.
But Louie truly might have some pretty weird views on rape.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

He's such a pathetic weirdo that what we saw was his (character's) interpretation taking charge of the situation and making a move, and he thought it went more well than not. It's funny. How did you people not laugh at Pamela's reaction to it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

How do you not laugh at Louie being a weird awkward loser and then going "YES" at the end of the scene

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Perhaps he was trying to scare her off so he wouldn't have to deal with the confusing feelings she generates anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

Exactly.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Illinois Smith posted:

Those scenes are both really funny

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if I would call the bully episode funny. Especially the latter half of it. Still by far it was the best episode by a long shot. It's what sold me on the show.

I personally don't care if it's funny or not. It's just sort of bad and pretentious and creepy in general at this point and it used to be pretty good. Whoever said that he needs a proper director and editor earlier was spot on.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Personally I don't see how the more recent episodes could be seen as more pretentious than the Bully episode. I enjoy the episode, too, but there's this big chunk of the episode of Louie just following this kid and it isn't funny or particularly well shot or interesting. And then he gets there and he has this super emotional moment with this stranger and they both stare off into the night together. It's an effective scene but the first time I watched it to me it really felt like it was trying just a little too hard. I might be the only one who thinks this, but it feels like the Elevator-arc is an attempt to genuinely express something while the ending of the Bully episode was more just a "Gee makes you think huh"

I mean there's no way that I can say that and then say the six-part arc wasn't trying too hard I suppose. It's just to me the catharsis of the waiter scene feels earned because we've spent so much time with them, and seen them get up to this point.

Unless you specifically mean the Louie/Pamela kiss in which case yeah they coulda used someone who knew how to shoot and edit that without it coming across like that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It comes across exactly how it's meant to, though? CK didn't accidentally make himself look like the predator there (albeit a very goofy one).

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
I have looked pretty hard for awhile, but does anyone happen to know the song that plays during the day out with Amia during Elevator Part 2? It's the one where they're out and about on the ferry and trying foods. Awfully beautiful song, and it seems to be a lot harder to find than I would have thought.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Christ, that was a heavy episode. The dedication to Hoffman at the end just made it hit that much harder. I know this season has alienated a lot of you but this has been some incredible television. Did anybody else watch?

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 10, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
It was great. Not a single laugh, but really engrossing. I loved it.

Felt like an after school special expect really well written/acted/directed

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Dangerous Person posted:

Christ, that was a heavy episode. The dedication to Hoffman at the end just made it hit that much harder. I know this season has alienated a lot of you, but this has been some incredible television. Did anybody else watch?

Just started watching, and I really dont look forward to the teacher finding out.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Amazing episode!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I really liked it. Bummer we'll never get to see it with PSH as the teacher. Does anyone remember which O&A appearance has him telling the story?

Also did anyone else catch that he got the actor who played his stoner neighbor in Dogpound to play the psychologist at the end?

Somebody give this guy money to shoot another movie already.

edit: Oh, I guess this is where I remember the story from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWxsekTrYY

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 10, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm only 27 so I haven't had to the deal with anything like that in regards to parenting but it certainly something I've thought about. How the hell am I going to confront my kids on poo poo I use to do? I suppose there is a certain bit of hypocrisy you have to do as a parent, but indeed let them make their own choices and path in life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not a very funny pair of episodes, but it was pretty good. I enjoyed the bully's systematic methods at the beginning and the dealer singing "Brother Louie". I'm pretty sure every time I meet a Louie from here on out, I'll be singing that song.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought that was the best episode of the season. Very moving, even if the message was obvious.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That was a wonderful story to tell in the first ever mega episode. PSH would've been astounding in that role clearly written with him in mind, but darkhorse character actor Skipp Sudduth did an incredible job filling in with what I'd call a masterful homage. Can't say enough good things about this episode and its pitch perfect cast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The main thing I took away from these two episodes, as well as the one where Jane abandons Louie and Lily on the subway, is that parenting is going to be so scary for me when the time comes.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Agreed, definite contender for best episode of the season. The cinematography was lovely, subject matter well-handled. I never really liked Jeremy Renner, but I thought he was quite good in this. I assume Phil Hoffman (aw) was supposed to be the teacher, but who they had instead was excellent.

I noticed we're all calling it an episode singular - why not just make Louie hour-long episodes now? Or is there a whole process for that?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Really great episode. My favorite thing about this show is how he's so willing to just drop a bomb like this and do something completely different. This season has been really interesting in that way.

I thought it was hilarious that the counselor at the end was played by the same dude with the dog(s) who got Louie high and smashed a car by throwing a water jug out the window in the first season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another fantastic episode. Listening to that clip from a few years ago of him telling the same story is really interesting because it shows just how much this guy has grown up in the last few years. Sometimes it feels like we've been witnessing his transformation in real time, going from this "THE WORD friend of the family ISN'T THAT BAD GUYS" standup to someone capable of making these truly moving pieces that show a very deep understanding of the human condition. I understand why some don't appreciate the (in their eyes) heavy-handedness of this season, but I feel it adds tons of depth and has really elevated the whole show.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009
That two parter just blew me away. Amazing work

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Jesus, that was heartbreaking. :stare:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tevryr posted:

I have looked pretty hard for awhile, but does anyone happen to know the song that plays during the day out with Amia during Elevator Part 2? It's the one where they're out and about on the ferry and trying foods. Awfully beautiful song, and it seems to be a lot harder to find than I would have thought.
The show mostly uses original music, if you can't find it and the credits don't mention anyone that's probably the case.

Louie's Reddit AMA posted:

producing the music is maybe my favorite part of the whole thing. I go into a studio with Matt Kelmer and a handful of great musicians that work under the title "Sweet pro" and we just gently caress around. I get to cheat and make music without the training. I ask them for different moods and sounds and they try it. or we'll say let's go with cello and piano for a while and try a few things there. The cello player, wish i loving knew his name, is tremendous. he creates whole pieces by himself and I use them ALL.

They have a bunch of samples from their music on Louie on their site but it's all from the first season. So, unless he ever decides to release soundtracks or something you're out of luck.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Speaking of music, we finally got to hear the theme song this season, thanks to Jeremy Renner.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

PostNouveau posted:

Not a very funny pair of episodes, but it was pretty good. I enjoyed the bully's systematic methods at the beginning and the dealer singing "Brother Louie". I'm pretty sure every time I meet a Louie from here on out, I'll be singing that song.

It's a good method of personalised intimidation: "Louie, Louie, you're gonna die."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pretty weird to have this cool young in the past and the terrible old hag mom who can't say "I love you" in the present time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

blue squares posted:

Pretty weird to have this cool young in the past and the terrible old hag mom who can't say "I love you" in the present time.

It also appears he's an only child in the flashback when at times in present day he has both a sister and a brother :shrug:

• Locked thread