Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
This seems like a fun multiplayer card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ramos posted:

Updated one more time, should be completely workable now.

You can't do this. You can't use La Liberté Guidant Le Peuple and title the card in Spanish. It's morally wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You can't do this. You can't use La Liberté Guidant Le Peuple and title the card in Spanish. It's morally wrong.

What do I need to do for you to post more? :allears:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sometimes red just likes to see the world burn.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

megane posted:

I had basically exactly the opposite idea.

I'm almost positive this is broken, and semi-positive that it's absurdly so.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Gonna be closing at midnight EST, so about six and a half hours from now.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Serperoth posted:

What do I need to do for you to post more? :allears:
Fend off the rest of the thread when they try to throttle you for suggesting it? :v:

Returning briefly to languages before the contest ends ...

Translation
Victory (English) Victory
van (Dutch) of
בָּבֶל (Hebrew) Babel

2UUUUU (Magic) 2 generic mana and 5 blue mana

Stregonaria (Italian) Sorcery

Si (Spanish) If
du (German) you
コントロールする (Japanese) control*
عشر (Arabic) 10
ou (Portuguese) or
[me-zo] (Mycenaean Greek via Linear B) more
永久物 (Mandarin) permanents
impressas (Latin) printed
ann am (Scots Gaelic) in
forskellig (Danish) different
γλώσσαις (Ancient Greek) languages
vi (Esperanto) you
gagnez (French) win
az (Hungarian) the
amegay (Pig Latin) game.

*Magic does it this way, don't blame me for the English loaning.

Un-set Magic already does artists, number of words and the like. Languages seemed as likely as anything. Culled as much as I could from Magic cards to make sure I had terminology correct. (I find it interesting that it's du for German cards but vouz for French cards, as a note).

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kabanaw posted:

This seems like a fun multiplayer card.

I want to cast this in 2HG just to be the hugest dick.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Fend off the rest of the thread when they try to throttle you for suggesting it? :v:

Returning briefly to languages before the contest ends ...

Translation
Victory (English) Victory
van (Dutch) of
בָּבֶל (Hebrew) Babel

2UUUUU (Magic) 2 generic mana and 5 blue mana

Stregonaria (Italian) Sorcery

Si (Spanish) If
du (German) you
コントロールする (Japanese) control*
عشر (Arabic) 10
ou (Portuguese) or
[me-zo] (Mycenaean Greek via Linear B) more
永久物 (Mandarin) permanents
impressas (Latin) printed
ann am (Scots Gaelic) in
forskellig (Danish) different
γλώσσαις (Ancient Greek) languages
vi (Esperanto) you
gagnez (French) win
az (Hungarian) the
amegay (Pig Latin) game.

*Magic does it this way, don't blame me for the English loaning.

Un-set Magic already does artists, number of words and the like. Languages seemed as likely as anything. Culled as much as I could from Magic cards to make sure I had terminology correct. (I find it interesting that it's du for German cards but vouz for French cards, as a note).

I'm going to throttle you

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Sleepy Owl posted:

I'm going to throttle you

By the time I'd done the billionth image edit on the drat thing, I was about ready to throttle myself, to be fair.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

By the time I'd done the billionth image edit on the drat thing, I was about ready to throttle myself, to be fair.

Even Un-set stuff is generally not that obtuse. Why not just make the rules text normal(ish), and make the name/types/reminder text/artist credits language-y?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Because I like taking jokes a bit far, basically.

I mean, of course it's not going to get printed, did you look at that poo poo? But I got a bit of amusement from the idea, so I did it (notwithstanding my irritating perfectionist tendencies eventually sucking some of the fun out of that). And that's about as far as I care about it; in this case, the seriousness of the contest/real Magic/real Un-sets can go hang.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

HitTheTargets posted:

I want to cast this in 2HG just to be the hugest dick.

06/7/2014: Yes, you can enchant an opponent with this card in Two Headed Giant. Yes, the game will result in a draw unless someone destroys the enchantment.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

vegetables posted:

Ad nauseam would become the top tier modern deck.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

vegetables posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Really I just wanted a spell with that exact effect line.

Really I should make it an instant so you can spitefully hardcast it just as your opponent is about to win.

e: vvv The art's from here.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 8, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

megane posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Really I just wanted a spell with that exact effect line.

Really I should make it an instant so you can spitefully hardcast it just as your opponent is about to win.

What's the background image from? It looks weirdly familiar.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

5th place - Myriad Truths

Having to destroy a specific permanent is an cool and flavorful win condition and I think you did a goob job keeping it from being too overpowered.

4th place - Kabanaw

I like this one because of how it changes the pace of the game, since both players are trying to do whatever they can to set themselves up for that last turn. It's a very all-in, frantic last ditch feel.

3rd place - GyroNinja

This one is an interesting twist on the Phage the Untouchable effect. It fits pretty well with ninjas with being sudden and out of nowhere without feeling unfair.

2nd place - Soothing Cacophony

This one was my favorite despite being the least likely to actually win a game. The flavor is absolutely perfect and the thought of the other players deciding just how they're going to beat you up is hilarious. I was tempted to give this one the win just because of how silly it is.

Winner - U-DO Burger

This is a neat win condition and it seems like it'd be a lot of fun to build a deck around. Part of what I was looking for in this contest a card that might lead to bizarre Battle of Wits style decks and I'd be really interested to see what kind of decks this would lead to.

Congrats U-DO Burger :toot:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The theme for this week is Tribal Lords.

The contest for this week is to choose a creature type, and to make a lord for that creature type. Lords are usually formatted like this:

1) Other [creature type] creatures get +1/+1.
2) Other [creature type] creatures get [ability].

You don't need to follow this precisely though. Feel free to mess with the P/T bonus values, or to eliminate it altogether. The real meat of the challenge is going to be the abilities that are granted by the lord. You could even have the ability apply to noncreature tribal spells if you think you can pull it off.

Contest will end at noon PST next Sunday.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Pretty simple, if silly and probably a bit too powerful.

Bears are often seen as guardians of forests, so I felt this was appropriate.

Maybe pushed a little hard? I dunno, I just liked the idea.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Gatherer ruling: This currently has no creature type. It's Nameless.

(For the young ones in the audience, see here, here for secret combo tech, and all morph cards).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Stealin' art from bad cards no one plays:

'cause when are we gonna get a Cat Lord that doesn't cost 7 mana?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 8, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
:spergin: Just a word on templating for Lords: :spergin:

Ability granting is worded differently depending on weather it's a temporary effect or a continuous bonus.

You can have an Instant that reads "All Homarids you control get +1/+1 and gain Banding until end of turn" but a Homarid Lord would have an ability like "All Homarids you control get +1/+1 and have Banding."

And the word "get" seems to be reserved for Power/Toughness effects, creatures always "have" or "gain" other abilities.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I made Gravelord Nito earlier but this is more elegant and better-worded.

Skeleton Tribal is real. :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, there's this old gem that I decided to polish up a bit. Now to think of other tribal weirdness that I like.

edit:

Gorgons!

edit2:

As jank as all old blue creatures.

edit3:

Let's call it quits there for today.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 9, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really like this design, but I wonder about having a Lord for a tribe that has literally never been printed below Rare and whose defining mechanic is basically too good for lower rarities.

Ramos posted:

As jank as all old blue creatures.

Probably OP by Fallen Empires standards. Needs Islandhome or something. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I really like this design, but I wonder about having a Lord for a tribe that has literally never been printed below Rare and whose defining mechanic is basically too good for lower rarities.

Probably OP by Fallen Empires standards. Needs Islandhome or something. :v:

Hey man, Phoenixes are ridiculously cool, they deserve a cool lord. But seriously, they're my favorite red creature type and it felt like a fitting effect. I rather do wish there were more of them in the game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm tempted to take a stab at designing some uncommon or common phoenixes that keep the flavor without breaking limited.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I'm tempted to take a stab at designing some uncommon or common phoenixes that keep the flavor without breaking limited.

It'd certainly be interesting, at common in particular. I think you would have to make sure such an ability would be limited use, so just paying mana is a no unless the cost is massive for a small creature. Perhaps stuff like discarding a card or discarding a land card to get a Phoenix back?

It'd help if all of the low end Phoenixes shared a theme on getting back into your hand.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, another one anyway. After the lack of inspiration last week, let's go wild here. Scouts are another tribe without a lord and a good area of going wild with what abilities they could. Since Scouts tend to play with lands, either getting some sort of landwalk or fetching land. So, why not power them up with landfall and give them landwalk of that land's types? Could lead to some interesting five color fetching tendencies.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 9, 2014

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

My first idea. Might be too similar to renegade krasis.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 9, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here's one I made a while back, but I updated it a little bit.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I made Gravelord Nito earlier but this is more elegant and better-worded.

Skeleton Tribal is real. :colbert:

I did a Nito ages ago too.

!TOXIC!

I think mine is probably a bit too good though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IMPS!

HOUNDS!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lords of unusual tribes are the best lords as this topic shows.

Carriers

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I could very well be phoning this one in. I fiddled around with letting the Oozes find their own way to make +1/+1 counters (they usually do) and then giving them a way to use the counters as payment for something cool, a la Experiment One, but most of the things I found myself making them do were just durdly, or counter to Green's desire to get big and smash.

So, I just made an Ooze lord that helps Oozes get big and smash.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

You know what needs more support? Force of Nature tribal.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I could very well be phoning this one in. I fiddled around with letting the Oozes find their own way to make +1/+1 counters (they usually do) and then giving them a way to use the counters as payment for something cool, a la Experiment One, but most of the things I found myself making them do were just durdly, or counter to Green's desire to get big and smash.

So, I just made an Ooze lord that helps Oozes get big and smash.

You could simplify it, by making the effect "Oozes you control have 'at the beginning of your upkeep, +1/+1 for each ooze', and also trample", since the effect is the same for him and he's an Ooze.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

I may be taking this too literally.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This guy is a bit too good all by himself. A 5/5 with trample for 4 who gets a counter every turn is arguably better than Polukranos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gynovore posted:

This guy is a bit too good all by himself. A 5/5 with trample for 4 who gets a counter every turn is arguably better than Polukranos.

Is Polukranos broken?

E: Honestly, I think it's more like a Kalonian Hydra, where by the time it starts swinging, it's an 8/8 or something. It also has the added benefit of helping out other Oozes too.
Kalonian Hydra didn't bust apart the metagame. This dude is Legendary, and Mythic to boot.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 9, 2014

• Locked thread