Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Require More Fire posted:

My dad had to uninstall Google's music manager form his PC for some reason and now we're afraid that installing it again will make it re-upload his music collection. Is there a way to install is so it doesn't upload what's in the music folder currently, but will upload anything added to it going forward?

It's smart enough to not upload everything again. I've done it numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

My dad had to uninstall Google's music manager form his PC for some reason and now we're afraid that installing it again will make it re-upload his music collection. Is there a way to install is so it doesn't upload what's in the music folder currently, but will upload anything added to it going forward?
FYI, you can install the Google Music Chrome App that does all the Google Music stuff without the bullshit Music Manager poo poo. Music Manager was so horrible that I'm glad all I have to do now is drag and drop to the web site and I get actual detailed upload data as opposed to the never-correct notification I had in Music Manager.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
-snip-

JoeMB fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 7, 2014

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Anyone know of an app/site to keep track of local locations to visit? In particular I'm interested in keeping a list of restaurants I want to try in the area, but it'd be nice if it were generic so I could also use it for things like museums. I'm thinking about using TripAdvisor or something similar, but I'm wondering if there's an app that's oriented around local places rather than travel (i.e. no hotels, flights, car rental, etc.).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

FYI, you can install the Google Music Chrome App that does all the Google Music stuff without the bullshit Music Manager poo poo.
Do you even need the Chrome "app"? I do have it installed but it just seems to link to the website. You can just go to http://music.google.com and get the same page.

VVVV
Ah right, that makes sense, it adds that stuff to the page.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 7, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Do you even need the Chrome "app"? I do have it installed but it just seems to link to the website. You can just go to http://music.google.com and get the same page.
Drag and drop upload requires it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Fitret posted:

Anyone know of an app/site to keep track of local locations to visit? In particular I'm interested in keeping a list of restaurants I want to try in the area, but it'd be nice if it were generic so I could also use it for things like museums. I'm thinking about using TripAdvisor or something similar, but I'm wondering if there's an app that's oriented around local places rather than travel (i.e. no hotels, flights, car rental, etc.).

Foursquare?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yelp and urban spoon both have wishlist features

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
These are all great suggestions - thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So is Audible the only option I have to listen to things downloaded from their site? I used my last credit on a book and downloaded it right off the site but I don't want to use the Audible app. How would I make it work elsewhere?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Wireless tethering, without incuring the "tethering" rule from the carrier, does that exist? I've tried a couple apps, and nothing seems to work, they always use the tethering side of my data plan. (FoxFI and Wireless Tether).

I have licensed content I've purchased on the Google Play store, and I can't seem to find a (reliable)way to play them at all on a TV that has no Internet access. Chromecast ignores the fact they're cached, using an HDMI cable from my tablet causes licensing errors after 1 or 2 viewings. I have a Nexus 5, 7 and Motorola Xoom (hah) and they're all rooted. Why can't I make this happen.

Why would this be easier if I stole the drat tv show episodes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

When chromecasts play things, you're basically saying 'hey you, connect to this web app and ask it for this content'. It doesn't care what's going on with your phone's local storage, you're just passing it a link, basically. And going through your phone as a WiFi access point won't make any difference - I think you'd need some kind of caching proxy setup, and even then it would probably be a nightmare to get it working with licenced and authenticated streaming content.

I haven't used it, but maybe something like Allcast would work? That's really setting up a local server on your phone/tablet and telling the chromecast to stream from that. Not sure how well it integrates with the Googles

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binge posted:

I have licensed content I've purchased on the Google Play store, and I can't seem to find a (reliable)way to play them at all on a TV that has no Internet access. Chromecast ignores the fact they're cached, using an HDMI cable from my tablet causes licensing errors after 1 or 2 viewings. I have a Nexus 5, 7 and Motorola Xoom (hah) and they're all rooted. Why can't I make this happen.
You could try Koush's screencasting app Mirror. It's beta-only right now so you'll have to join this G+ group, opt-in here, and then you can download it from Play as normal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Been out of the loop for a few years, just got a Nexus 5. Is there anything like LBE around for privacy management these days? IIRC LBE was suddenly in Chinese after an update or something. I imagine somebody's done better since.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently noticed that the 2048 game I have runs a nextpeer service in the background, even if I haven't played the game since rebooting my phone. I did a bit of Googling, but didn't see anything that seemed to clearly say what it is. Is it a benign service, or should I get rid of that game?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

I recently noticed that the 2048 game I have runs a nextpeer service in the background, even if I haven't played the game since rebooting my phone. I did a bit of Googling, but didn't see anything that seemed to clearly say what it is. Is it a benign service, or should I get rid of that game?

There's like a million versions of this game, just get another one if, you're not sure. There are even ones without any permissions at all.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea but maybe try the one from the guy who originally wrote it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gabrielecirulli.app2048

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

No idea but maybe try the one from the guy who originally wrote it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gabrielecirulli.app2048

Isn't this just a ripoff of Threes?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Isn't this just a ripoff of Threes?

It's a slightly different mechanic and much easier to "win".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sliding tile games are not exactly new and games inspire each other all the time so who cares which one copies who? They are both fun games. I personally prefer 2048 because it's a more tactical and "pure" experience whereas Threes often screws you over with RNG. 2048 is only easier to "win" if you stop at 2048, which I don't. I've been aiming for an 8192 but I've not got there yet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Why can't you pin a genre play list (not created by you) in Google Play Music All Access? Or am I missing something? Looks like you can only pin albums, songs and play lists that you create yourself.

The Beats trial I had let you save a genre radio play list for offline listening. It was a great feature.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Why can't you pin a genre play list (not created by you) in Google Play Music All Access? Or am I missing something? Looks like you can only pin albums, songs and play lists that you create yourself.

The Beats trial I had let you save a genre radio play list for offline listening. It was a great feature.

There's a save queue option in the overflow menu so you can save that genre radio as a playlist that you can pin. The genre radio just pretty much creates and endless queue so I guess that's why you can pin it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JoeMB posted:

There's a save queue option in the overflow menu so you can save that genre radio as a playlist that you can pin. The genre radio just pretty much creates and endless queue so I guess that's why you can pin it.

Thanks. Just figured it out. You have to subscribe to the shared playlist, back out of the menus, find it on your main listen now screen, click 3 buttons, then pin to device. Very logical, for sure.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
So the data usage monitor on my phone started shrieking the other day and after looking into it, I find that the Readability app has consumed a gig of traffic in the last month. Uh, what?

Anyone else seen this? Phone is a Moto G running Kitkat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

outlier posted:

So the data usage monitor on my phone started shrieking the other day and after looking into it, I find that the Readability app has consumed a gig of traffic in the last month. Uh, what?

Anyone else seen this? Phone is a Moto G running Kitkat.

There are pages and pages of crap reviews for this on the Play Store. Not too surprising from the sound of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Geektox posted:

It's a slightly different mechanic and much easier to "win".

Patrick on Giant Bomb had a article about the history of Threes and 2048 that explains what the deal with these games.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/meet-the-clones/1100-4891/

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Download taptapsee and check out how far image recognition got.

I took a picture of an Apple employee putting away stock and it said "man wearing an Apple shirt standing on stool"

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 9, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Download taptapsee and check out how far image recognition got.

I took a picture of an Apple employee putting away stock and it said "man wearing an Apple shirt standing on stool"
It's probably just using Mechanical Turk or similar.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Am I crazy. I don't feel like I ever hear streaming advertisements but today I've heard a handful.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I went to install an app and google play's permissions screen was different:

(it took me forever to figure out imgurs app)

I don't remember seeing that before

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

I went to install an app and google play's permissions screen was different:

(it took me forever to figure out imgurs app)

I don't remember seeing that before
This turned up about a month ago but as always the update does not roll out to everyone at the same time:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...e-apk-download/

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Can someone recommend me a good sketching/drawing app with an infinite canvas or cut/copy/paste/move/rezise functionality? I've got autodesk sketchbook pro which is otherwise fine, but I hate it when I run out of space and have to redo a perfectly good drawing.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

(Readability) There are pages and pages of crap reviews for this on the Play Store. Not too surprising from the sound of it.

Argh. Readability was been a godsend during my commute but it looks like the app is badly broken. I've exported all my articles to Pocket, which seems to be much better.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

outlier posted:

Argh. Readability was been a godsend during my commute but it looks like the app is badly broken. I've exported all my articles to Pocket, which seems to be much better.

Confirming the Readability app is poo poo and Pocket is amazing.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So yesterday my phone (rooted, stock Nexus 4) got the 4.4.3 update, but when I tried to update, it just rebooted into TWRP. It's still on 4.4.2 and now it's saying there's no update. What's the deal? :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm fairly certain you can't take OTAs when you have a custom recovery installed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

So yesterday my phone (rooted, stock Nexus 4) got the 4.4.3 update, but when I tried to update, it just rebooted into TWRP. It's still on 4.4.2 and now it's saying there's no update. What's the deal? :confused:
Either manually flash the OTA in recovery (http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/04/nexus-10-and-nexus-4-android-4-4-3-ktu84l-ota-zip-urls-are-here-flash-away/) or fastboot update the factory image.

Also this poo poo should really be in the Rooted thread, not here.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

My bad, and thanks!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How do you retrieve photos from an Android phone via desktop PC that only show up in the G+ Photos app but not in Gallery? One of our users had this happen to them, and the regular way of viewing photos (plug the phone into a computer, open Computer, open the Device, go to DCIM folder) doesn't work. I can't find a com.google.Photos (or whatever) directory in /Android/data/ either, so it doesn't seem as though it's possible to get photos out of Photos. Is this Google's way of "subtly" pushing people into adding their G+ account for auto-upload?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

How do you retrieve photos from an Android phone via desktop PC that only show up in the G+ Photos app but not in Gallery? One of our users had this happen to them, and the regular way of viewing photos (plug the phone into a computer, open Computer, open the Device, go to DCIM folder) doesn't work. I can't find a com.google.Photos (or whatever) directory in /Android/data/ either, so it doesn't seem as though it's possible to get photos out of Photos. Is this Google's way of "subtly" pushing people into adding their G+ account for auto-upload?
They're probably photos that are already in the cloud. What "album" do they show up under in the app? What is the original source of the photos?

• Locked thread