Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

So far this season the following Rockies are currently on, or have been on the DL: Arenado broke his finger, Brett Anderson broke his finger, Chatwood has had some type of elbow inflammation, CarGo will have exploratory surgery on his finger, Eddie Butler has a sore shoulder, Cuddyer broke a bone in his shoulder, Rutledge and Rosario have both been on the DL earlier from getting the flu.

gently caress EVERYTHING. JUST gently caress IT ALL. gently caress. gently caress.

E:

Grozz Nuy posted:

Didn't they just call him up, too? Jesus.

The team doesn't seem to think it's that big of a deal. He just said that something "felt a little more sore" than normal. They appeared to just put him on the DL as a precautionary thing.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

bluh posted:

Eddie Butler to the DL with a rotator cuff injury. :rip:

Didn't they just call him up, too? Jesus.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
so the rangers sure are a baseball team, huh

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
also joey gallo hit a walkoff homer in his AA debut, just saying

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

I'd take him over Kevin Correia. Make it happen, Terry.

What? No gently caress that just call up one of these guys they'll be better and cost like 500 times less.

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins literally have five starting pitchers in AAA that are better/can't be worse than Kevin Correia and they refuse to replace him and it makes me sad. Three of them are even on the 40 man roster!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bluh posted:

Oh wow. :lol:

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

What? No gently caress that just call up one of these guys they'll be better and cost like 500 times less.

You realize they're just going to call up Scott Diamond again, right?

Also who is Yohan Pino and is he for real?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YodaTFK posted:

You realize they're just going to call up Scott Diamond again, right?

Also who is Yohan Pino and is he for real?

I don't think Diamond is on the 40 man anymore. May, Johnson, and Darnell are the three that are, I believe. I think the latter two have made spot starts for the Twns this year because doubleheaders.

I have no idea and probably not.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Poor Rockies. I give Tulo 3 weeks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I asked over in the Newbie thread, but this thread seems a little more active: Does anyone still teach the Baltimore Chop, or have defenses improved to the point that non-Mike-Lowells don't bother with it anymore?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

I asked over in the Newbie thread, but this thread seems a little more active: Does anyone still teach the Baltimore Chop, or have defenses improved to the point that non-Mike-Lowells don't bother with it anymore?

I doubt it just because in the modern, high-scoring game, where even middle infielders hit dingers, you don't really want your players hitting ground balls on purpose.

I don't think I've ever seen an (intentional) Baltimore Chop, did Mike Lowell used to do it?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Man I'm really happy with the Nationals recent decision to start hitting the ball and scoring runs. It's amazing what you can do when your starters aren't all on the DL.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The Pussy Boss posted:

I doubt it just because in the modern, high-scoring game, where even middle infielders hit dingers, you don't really want your players hitting ground balls on purpose.

I don't think I've ever seen an (intentional) Baltimore Chop, did Mike Lowell used to do it?

It might be a couple years too late to talk about the "modern, high-scoring game". If the Baltimore Chop going out of style was tied to the offensive explosion, we should see a return soon.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

gleep gloop posted:

Man I'm really happy with the Nationals recent decision to start hitting the ball and scoring runs. It's amazing what you can do when your starters aren't all on the DL.

I keep wanting to have hope but I keep telling myself not to because as soon as I'm hopeful I can be disappointed once again.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

also joey gallo hit a walkoff homer in his AA debut, just saying

Kris Bryant thinks that's cute.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bluh posted:

He hasn't even been up a week,
Jesus

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tadashi posted:

Kris Bryant thinks that's cute.

Seriously, how is he not playing third base for the cubs right now?

And if the answer is "Mike Olt," :lol:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

At least promote Bryant

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
GREGORY

POLANCOOOOOOOOOOO

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Seriously, how is he not playing third base for the cubs right now?

And if the answer is "Mike Olt," :lol:

To build anticipation for when he does come up, is burdened with unreasonable expectations, and inevitably busts until he is taken on by a competent team that knows how to play baseball.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
There are very good reasons not to super-rush young prospects to the MLB rosters of non-contending teams because of a hot first half at the plate. See the current quality of defense the Cubs enjoy everyday at shortstop for more

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Crion posted:

There are very good reasons not to super-rush young prospects to the MLB rosters of non-contending teams because of a hot first half at the plate. See the current quality of defense the Cubs enjoy everyday at shortstop for more

I mean yes but I think upping the level of minor league play isn't that much of a stretch mid season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

They could probably at least give him a shot at AAA.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Crion posted:

Comparing him to Castro is a bit of a stretch. Castro was a full 2 years younger and didn't have numbers anywhere near what Bryant is doing now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Bryant has enough defensive questions that keeping him at AA ,where he's clearly comfortable with the bat, so he can focus on defense isn't a bad idea

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MourningView posted:

I think the upcoming couple of months is where things will get shaken up for the Cubs. He's made more errors in less chances than Sano did in his last season at AA (even if errors are a bad metric for judging minor league players, that seems pretty rough).

They're going to need to make some decisions about what they do with some of the fringe players at the ML and AAA level. Christian Villanueva is the logjam for Bryant at AAA. He's off to a slow start but has looked like a decent future backup player in the past with a decent glove and some pop. He's had a pretty steady march through the minors and only turns 23 next week. Not exactly a guy you build a team around but could be the kind of player you'd want to be able to send up and down as you need him. They may not want to mess with him just yet.

The morale of the story is still: don't be an idiot about drafting and developing players like the Cubs were for the better part of a decade.

E: Baez is hitting .372/.395/.769 (:lol: take a walk, kid) since May 17 so at least he's not dead yet.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 10, 2014

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

MourningView posted:

If he continues to dominate, they'll probably reevaluate where he needs to be around the all-star break. This might also cause him to convert to right field instead of third. I think that's the big holdup. They want to make sure whether he looks like he can be a solid 3B defensively before they pop him on up as soon as possible.

e: every Cubs fan chimes in at once with different aspects of the same thing. :v:

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

tadashi posted:

E: Baez is hitting .372/.395/.769 (:lol: take a walk, kid) since May 17 so at least he's not dead yet.

Devon Travis is hitting .293/.311/.490 in AA. 2 BB in 24 games

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Storm posted:

Devon Travis is hitting .293/.311/.490 in AA. 2 BB in 24 games

I mean, at least he's a middle infielder? gently caress that's bad. (I just noticed the age difference relative to league thing on BBref just now, that's pretty slick)

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
5 game suspension for Manny Machado because non-PED suspensions are a total joke.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

5 game suspension for Manny Machado because non-PED suspensions are a total joke.

Hahahahaha one game less than the Lawrie helmet toss.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I thought Lawrie only got 4?

But either way Machado could kill someone with a bat he intentionally threw directly at a person, while Lawrie clearly just got a bad bounce on that toss (this is not to excuse Lawrie for acting like a child).

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
N: The designs for the Fourth of July hats for each club, which leaked earlier, have now been confirmed and officially released and will be on sale most likely starting Friday. Looks like Blue for the National League, red for the American League. No word on what the Blue Jays will be wearing.

V: All I'll say is that they're a hell of a lot better than the camo for Memorial Day.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Just once I want to see 4th of July hats that shoot real fireworks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Man I forgot how bad those calls were that lead to the Lawrie incident

The first was bad but the second was just atrocious, absolutely reeked of the umpire sticking it to Lawrie for "showing him up" by trotting to first

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
They're alright if the team already uses red, white, and blue for uniform colors, but they look like total garbage on, for instance, the A's or Rockies. The "special hats for holidays" is really dumb in my opinion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

Just once I want to see 4th of July hats that shoot real fireworks.

The Orioles one does if you pitch inside to Manny Machado.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

On Bryant, the pitching at AA isn't going to be all that different from the pitching in AAA, so letting him work on his defense doesn't necessitate a move up a level, especially because that would move him from the relatively neutral southern league run environment and put him in the loving bonkers PCL. I think you're gonna get a better evaluation of him as a player at AA, anyhow.

That machado suspension is pathetic.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Bob Welch died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Bob Welch died

The baseball player or former Fleetwood Mac member who died a few days ago?

• Locked thread