Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zamujasa posted:

A cool captain :allears:

A while back, some admin (I don't know who) used the Fun Image effect to dump goatse into the game.

That person isn't an admin any more.

They might've changed their minds about what's acceptable and what's not, but at least they're consistent.

More accurately, they were demoted a few ranks and given the mother of all verbal rear end-whuppings. But yeah, I don't think any of us ever read erotic fanfiction over the radio, and if any did, they probably ate a ban for it. And if not, well, :v:

Really though I've been playing since the end of Ovarystation and I'm like 95% sure even back then that'd probably cop you a warning or ban, with possible lenience you were a long time player well established to not be poo poo, just making an exceptionally poor decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Daeren posted:

But yeah, I don't think any of us ever read erotic fanfiction over the radio, and if any did, they probably ate a ban for it.

No they read it out by playing a voiceclip.

Turning around and starting to ban people for the same thing would be stupid.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I still have no idea how to fill my bucket as a jani-borg.

Click on the slot with the bucket in it, then click on a water/foam/fuel tank or chem dispenser. You can also use the bucket to fill the spray bottle, but it takes awhile as the bucket only holds 30 units of liquid.

A spray bottle full of water can help you quickly leave a trail of slippery spots to infuriate people with. Space lube is even better, but you can't use it unless the laws allow you to hurt people.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Changing your standards is literally impossible, that's why we must ensure the most annoying possible things are always permissible and that we must always try to find newer lows.

I mean I dunno when this happened, but I'm pretty sure they'd not be an admin for much longer if it happened today. This is a game, it's not like you get to cite precedence in the case of Joe Fartingale v. Badmin.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

cock hero flux posted:

Things change. There were goatse avatars all over the off-site forum a few years ago. Now it's pretty much work safe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man I forgot how much I love being a chill captain. Giving random people special ID's with really strange levels of access, accepting bribes and getting stuck in where help is really needed (at the bar, always at the bar, where they need help drinking booze urgently) is fun as hell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

Maybe we should make that a random event? Like every now and again an ores properties will change? Give us a way to scan ore once it happens too.

Make it what happens when you emag the arc smelter.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How long is a cycle in terms of chemicals? (Like for example if it says it takes 17 cycles to knock oout)

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

a cartoon duck posted:

it's not like you get to cite precedence in the case of Joe Fartingale v. Badmin.

I know what case I'm using next time I'm a lawyer in game :v:

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.

Nalesh posted:

How long is a cycle in terms of chemicals? (Like for example if it says it takes 17 cycles to knock oout)

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the Life process runs approximately once every three seconds depending on server load, it's during that process that all chemicals are processed. So 17 cycles is somewhere in the neighborhood of 51 seconds if I'm remembering right.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
3 BYOND seconds per cycle, nominally, is how often the Life loop is supposed to tick.

Basically it's going to be totally goofy and inconsistent. Welcome to space!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogstile posted:

Man I forgot how much I love being a chill captain. Giving random people special ID's with really strange levels of access, accepting bribes and getting stuck in where help is really needed (at the bar, always at the bar, where they need help drinking booze urgently) is fun as hell.

When I get Captain, I sometimes bestow the spare Captain's ID with the name and job profession changed to King of the Greyshirts (minus access to Security, AI and the HoP console) along with the Cakehat as a crown upon a random Staff Assistant. I send them forth as leader of all their kind just to see what will happen.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I really need to learn how to quickly stun someone and get them on the ground so I can start working their face over with an air tank.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nalesh posted:

I really need to learn how to quickly stun someone and get them on the ground so I can start working their face over with an air tank.

Apply air tank to face. I'm not even kidding, its how I kill most of my targets. I air tank them and shove them in disposals if I have no better way of doing it.

Also if I inject myself with werewolf blood something should happen dammit!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

That's how I've been dealing with people, buckle them in if they're on top of a chair, then tank them for their time.

How major is the difference between like, 5 neurotoxin and 45? Like does it lower the cycles needed at all?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Farting is an emote. Emotes are triggered by typing say "* and then the emote right after the asterisk, so a fart is say "*fart

Additionally, farting is such an important emote to the world and gameplay of SS13 that it has its own shortcut key, Ctrl+f. Granted, several emotes have similar shortcuts, but fart's the important one obviously.

If you're using WASD mode, you can just hit the F key. *flip is R.
See also: WASD mode is great.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nalesh posted:

That's how I've been dealing with people, buckle them in if they're on top of a chair, then tank them for their time.

How major is the difference between like, 5 neurotoxin and 45? Like does it lower the cycles needed at all?

The amount of a chem never affects how long it takes to kick in (well, there's one or two special exceptions), it'll take the same amount of time no matter how much or little of the chem you inject...unless you use so little that it depletes away before it would've kicked in. Neurotoxin takes 17 cycles to KO and its depletion rate is high (1.0), so you need to inject at least 18 units to get any knockout at all; anything less will deplete away completely before it's been in the system long enough. Once they're knocked out, though, 45 neurotoxin will keep them out a lot longer (84 seconds plus lag) and do a lot more brain damage.

It makes medicine a bit unintuitive, since only the touch chems do instant healing - everything else is slow-acting and takes a while to kick in no matter how much you inject, so people get frantic or impatient and shoot patients up with unnecessarily high or even dangerous doses of things like charcoal or epinephrine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Coolguye posted:

One time they arrested me for doing this to the Captain, and when I quoted fictional bylaws the Captain said "I can't argue with protocol. Release him."

A Good Captain. One of my favourite Captain rounds ever came from the time I pardoned some guy for cold-cocking me because I liked his moxie, and inadvertently set in motion a hilarious chain of events which culminated in a surprise haymaker that indirectly killed everyone at once (via instant retaliatory rage-bombing) seconds before the shuttle left. I was laughing so hard I was in pain, and none of that would have happened if I hadn't been chill about some gutsy assistant punching me in the balls in plain view of everyone.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

It makes medicine a bit unintuitive, since only the touch chems do instant healing - everything else is slow-acting and takes a while to kick in no matter how much you inject, so people get frantic or impatient and shoot patients up with unnecessarily high or even dangerous doses of things like charcoal or epinephrine.
My "medical practice" consists of opening a general first aid kit and then injecting, feeding, and applying every single item to the affected person in the hopes that one of them will do something. What's epinephrine or salicylic acid do? I have no idea, but if it's in the kit it's going in the body. Sometimes they scream when I apply a patch, but I figure it's ok because people scream all the time for no reason.

If they're on fire, I yell at them to stop drop and roll and then try and empty a burn kit instead. Any time I've tried to put them out I've beaten them to death with the medkit so I don't do that anymore.

Look, engines are simpler, ok?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 10, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bhodi posted:

My "medical practice" consists of opening a general first aid kit and then injecting, feeding, and applying every single item to the affected person in the hopes that one of them will do something. What's epinephrine or salicylic acid do? I have no idea, but if it's in the kit it's going in the body. Sometimes they scream when I apply a patch, but I figure it's ok because people scream all the time for no reason.

If they're on fire, I yell at them to stop drop and roll and then try and empty a burn kit instead. Any time I've tried to put them out I've beaten them to death with the medkit so I don't do that anymore.

This is absolutely the best way to doctor people. Just throw medicine at them until it fixes the problem :allears:

:argh:: Doc what the gently caress are you doing!?
:v:: Son, I have a degree in space medicine, don't question my space medical judgement.
:argh:: That poo poo's going to kill me!
:v:: Oh, hrm, yeah one of the possible side effects listed is death. Oh well, cmere! Time for your medicine!

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Is it considered bad form to deploy a strategic "succumb" at the opportune moment if you're a microbomb'd traitor on your last legs, or is that kosher?

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
Just saw this in the unban forum and it looks like people are time travelling from the far future to play ss13 and get banned.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

ellbent posted:

Is it considered bad form to deploy a strategic "succumb" at the opportune moment if you're a microbomb'd traitor on your last legs, or is that kosher?

I do it all the time and have never been complained at. Usually I get laughs cause when I do do it, it is usually when i have 6 or 7 of them in me and I am in a crowded area like medbay.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

oblongus posted:

Just saw this in the unban forum and it looks like people are time travelling from the far future to play ss13 and get banned.

what... the gently caress... :magical:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have no idea how Wonkmin is parsing anything at all from that wall of gibberish :stare:

ellbent posted:

Nah, go for it. The microbomb is expressly meant to serve as a final "gently caress you," and it's entirely legit to set it off yourself. People do it all the time, especially Syndicate operatives that want to keep their gear from falling into enemy hands.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
Clearly he is one of Them :tinfoil:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ellbent posted:

Hell, that's like the best part of a microbomb implant, so I hope it's not frowned on.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have no idea how Wonkmin is parsing anything at all from that wall of gibberish :stare:

I wasn't, really. NBM is a markov learning bot we have in IRC and we thought we'd have some fun for a bit with it. IRC went crazy over this thread, it was wonderful.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds
The best feature of NBM is that he's learned to send messages through skybee.

He's really mean at times, though.

quote:

<skybee> NoisyBrassMan buzzed 5 hours, 13 minutes ago: lifehack: you'll never do anything.
it's true :smith:

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.

NBM posted:

I'm deaf as a sassy in death chat.

It doesn't mean anything but I just want to say it over and over.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I wasn't, really. NBM is a markov learning bot we have in IRC and we thought we'd have some fun for a bit with it. IRC went crazy over this thread, it was wonderful.

Oh thank God I was reading that unban appeal and thought I had a stroke or developed sudden onset dyslexia or something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bhodi posted:

Epinephrine and salicylic acid aren't even the space chems! :argh:

Seriously, though, I can't complain too hard because medical malpractice is some of the funniest poo poo. Give me a medbay where people are sawing off butts in preference to reattaching limbs, some chucklefuck that ate a burrito wanders in and splashes the entire charcoal reserve tank on himself, the doctor that's actually trying to attach limbs is clubbing his patient in the groin with their own severed leg, the captain is so drunk he can't adequately convey what's wrong with the flaming barman he hauled in, and the crewman actually trying to control the situation looks suspicuously like they're wearing a floral shirt.

e: I sort of figured out NBM's unban appeal on an instinctual level, because I kept wanting to peanut post "yes, I am interested in your cheap c1alis."

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Mountain Lightning posted:

Oh thank God I was reading that unban appeal and thought I had a stroke or developed sudden onset dyslexia or something.

Haha. You're not the first, don't worry!

He has become worryingly sentient recently, though.

<noisybrassman> yiff status: wrecked
<noisybrassman> cool tip: wear things

Wise words.

Honestly though, that NBM appeal is only slightly more incoherent than the average pile we get.

Also whoever that guy was that's accusing our admins of racism/bigotry/whatever, if this actually happens you need to log it and let me know. I'm pretty sure this is a falsified claim, though, unless you're going back to the ~dark ages~ of some 3/4 years ago.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Please put another NPC in the diner with lovely Bill and Father Jack, a light cyborg named Noisy Borg Man who randomly rattles off NBM outputs.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Reginald P Farthing throws Good Plasebite heavy armor.
Good Plasebite heavy armor explodes!
Good Plasebite heavy armor catches on fire!

Is it common for this alloy combo to explode when thrown?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Reginald P Farthing throws Good Plasebite heavy armor.
Good Plasebite heavy armor catches on fire!

Is it common for this alloy combo to explode when thrown?

It's Plasma and Erebite.

Something that is flammable and something that explodes.

:effort:

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Just played my first round; spawned in as a staff assistant at the start. Someone was at my door so I went AFK for a minute, came back and I was trapped in a toilet. This actually proved to be a boon since a wizard came through that area murdering everyone and walked past the toilet I was in.

Somehow after bashing enough controls I managed to find my out, and stumbled into the bar. I found a dead body and dragged it into a nearby empty room to loot it...only I had no idea how to steal the poo poo. Fast forward about 5-10 minutes of me punching and kicking the body until someone who looked like a tech priest from warhammer 40k walked in and shot me dead. Then a little bit later someone dragged my body into a corridor and drained it dry.

The real point of this post; how do I loot dead bodies?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Apple2o posted:

Just played my first round; spawned in as a staff assistant at the start. Someone was at my door so I went AFK for a minute, came back and I was trapped in a toilet. This actually proved to be a boon since a wizard came through that area murdering everyone and walked past the toilet I was in.

Somehow after bashing enough controls I managed to find my out, and stumbled into the bar. I found a dead body and dragged it into a nearby empty room to loot it...only I had no idea how to steal the poo poo. Fast forward about 5-10 minutes of me punching and kicking the body until someone who looked like a tech priest from warhammer 40k walked in and shot me dead. Then a little bit later someone dragged my body into a corridor and drained it dry.

The real point of this post; how do I loot dead bodies?

Click and drag, and it should bring up a menu

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Specifically, click and drag their body onto yours. They don't even have to be dead to do this, if you want to do something crazy like strip a geneticist or uncuff a criminal or steal the captain's hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please put another NPC in the diner with lovely Bill and Father Jack, a light cyborg named Noisy Borg Man who randomly rattles off NBM outputs.

NoisyBrassMan is already a cheap knockoff of the automaton.

• Locked thread