Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anybody got a cheat sheet on what to look for in E55s? My 540i is starting to bore me now that most of its deferred maintenance has been taken care of. I do most of the work on my cars myself. The indy that I do use when I get stuck won't let me buy an S but loves E55s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The big things that come to mind are Airmatic suspension part failures (~$500 or so per front strut for the fronts and about $900 for the two rear air springs from Arnott Industries. You can replace the fronts one at a time but if you have the rears fail you need to do both at the same time. I did my front right myself but I'll be taking it to the shop for the rears when they go.

The fancy SBC (electrohydraulic) brake system's known to have pump failures periodically - mine was replaced before I got the car so I'm probably fine for a while, but check to see if any prospective car you're looking at has had its done, I think it's a relatively expensive ($1200-$1400?) part.

The fuel pumps die a slow death - they melt their harness as they draw more current and start leaking eventually. GG, Mercedes. If the car smells like gas, welp. Mine shows no signs of this. The pumps are like $650 or so each and you will need to drop the tank and replace both at the same time.

There's a few other relatively minor things like ball joints that go bad over time but those are almost wear items. Notice I haven't mentioned anything about the drivetrain - it's known to be pretty solid.

Cyrezar, am I forgetting anything?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tremek posted:

A used E55 runs about $20k,

Well poo poo son, that's all you had to say. I'll totally agree that it's drat near impossible to beat an E55 at that price. You might get close with something like an early year E60 M5, but I think those are still closer to $30k than $20k, and you'd be stuck with the problematic SMG on an early one.

At $50k that Cyrezar said (no idea where he picked that number from), the field is definitely a lot wider though - you might be able to get a 996 turbo that's had the ISB fix for that price, or maybe a C5 Z06.

Still a hell of a lot of car at $20k though.

Also voting most accurate thread title in AI- I'd have thought for sure y'all would realize I was not being serious about the Evo when I started mentioning backwards baseball caps. ;)

Less angst, more freude am fahren guys. :)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

The big things that come to mind are Airmatic suspension part failures (~$500 or so per front strut for the fronts and about $900 for the two rear air springs from Arnott Industries. You can replace the fronts one at a time but if you have the rears fail you need to do both at the same time. I did my front right myself but I'll be taking it to the shop for the rears when they go.

The fancy SBC (electrohydraulic) brake system's known to have pump failures periodically - mine was replaced before I got the car so I'm probably fine for a while, but check to see if any prospective car you're looking at has had its done, I think it's a relatively expensive ($1200-$1400?) part.

The fuel pumps die a slow death - they melt their harness as they draw more current and start leaking eventually. GG, Mercedes. If the car smells like gas, welp. Mine shows no signs of this. The pumps are like $650 or so each and you will need to drop the tank and replace both at the same time.

There's a few other relatively minor things like ball joints that go bad over time but those are almost wear items. Notice I haven't mentioned anything about the drivetrain - it's known to be pretty solid.

Cyrezar, am I forgetting anything?

Think you got it. SBC pump on mine was previously replaced but the reservoir failed and cost me $1100 at the dealership. It's a pretty complicated car but I'm pretty sure over the years I've spent more on my old Taurus and Town Car due to their propensity for catastrophic failures of things like transmissions.

If you look at the spreadsheet I posted last page you can see all I've done to the car over the past 2 years. It's not cheap to maintain, and I haven't had to replace any Airmatic parts yet. I get an occasional warning for the Airmatic but the car never sags and my mechanic said not to worry about it for now since they couldn't find a leak.

HotCanadianChick posted:

At $50k that Cyrezar said (no idea where he picked that number from)

Mostly out of my rear end. In this market segment of fast luxury 4 doors there are only so many options. I like the M5s but nice ones are still around 40k with the 6 speed and from my research have potential engine and transmission problems. I think it would also feel slower around town due to the power band and it gets like 12mpg.

We didn't get the RS6 in the US for any years that matter, and Audi maintenance scares me more than AMG maintenance. I also prefer rear wheel drive.

The 2009+ Cadillac CTS-Vs might be pretty sweet but I've never driven one and again nice examples are still high 30's. I know almost nothing about them otherwise.

I guess you could compare M3, IS-F, C63 but they are smaller and not as luxurious as the mid size sedans.

Since this is the Mercedes thread and that's all I've driven for over 5 years, the proper comparison is against an E63. As Tremek previously mentioned the 6.2L V8 engines don't have the reputation for reliability the 55Ks do and it would be a lateral move at best for more $.

Anyway you slice it there's either a large performance delta, price delta, or both. I don't mod my cars but that's another strong point of the E55.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cyrezar posted:

Mostly out of my rear end. In this market segment of fast luxury 4 doors there are only so many options. I like the M5s but nice ones are still around 40k with the 6 speed and from my research have potential engine and transmission problems. I think it would also feel slower around town due to the power band and it gets like 12mpg.

Yeah, the V10 M5s make impressive power for an NA engine, but they're super peaky and won't feel nearly as ballsy as the boosted AMG lumps. I remember James Woods posting about the M6 and being disappointed at the grunt.

quote:

We didn't get the RS6 in the US for any years that matter, and Audi maintenance scares me more than AMG maintenance. I also prefer rear wheel drive.

Hah, yeah I feel the same way. The sporty Audis are pretty impressive (I'm still sad I can't get an RS6 avant) but I've seen enough things like timing chain placement on the 2.7Ts to make me permanently scared to own anything they make. Plus no good RWD models is a downer.

quote:

The 2009+ Cadillac CTS-Vs might be pretty sweet but I've never driven one and again nice examples are still high 30's. I know almost nothing about them otherwise.

This reminds me, I really do need to go around to the dealers and test out some of the newer Caddys. I'm not a big fan of old man cars, but the newer ones are supposed to be pretty sporty and good competition for zee Germans.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I lost a hubcap today. It rolled across 4 lanes of traffic and laid down, then a Volvo tapped it and it went across the last lane into the median shoulder. I went and retrieved it but the blow was too much and I doubt I can make it look decent again. Good thing I have a spare one.

:geno:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Any reason my friend shouldn't buy a brand new GLK? From what I've seen Merc's reliability ratings have gone skyward and they drive really well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

Any reason my friend shouldn't buy a brand new GLK? From what I've seen Merc's reliability ratings have gone skyward and they drive really well.

Other than the C-class being better and less expensive, by virtue of not being yet another stupid crossover, I can't think of any.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Other than the C-class being better and less expensive, by virtue of not being yet another stupid crossover, I can't think of any.

Could be worse. Could be the GLA.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

For what it's worth the last comparison review I saw of the GLK's small-crossover luxury segment I think the GLK came in last and the Q5 came in first, with BMWs, Lexus, and Volvo spread between. Also if it was me, I kind of want an SQ5 for no good reason whatsoever.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Does anybody here know if a 2.6 M103 W201 needs any suspension modifications prior to having lowering springs installed (ie. adjustable rear camber arms or something similar) to make everything fit/function correctly? It's an automatic '91 190E that I want to install H&R Sports on (which seem to be the only aftermarket performance coil springs still sold for the 2.6 W201), because the two front coil springs are already both broken and the car came with a new set of Bilstein B8s. It's clean/dry enough for me to be comfortable putting a little bit of money into it for some sharper handling and aesthetics, and it will likely be kept for a while as it's my first Benz and I'm really enjoying it so far - despite it being a complete departure from the type of cars I've owned during the past ten years.

Also, is there any consensus on which brand one-piece E-code headlights to purchase for replacing the factory DOT sealed beam units in terms of whether it is ok to purchase knock-off lights and just use quality bulbs in them or if it's only worth doing if I use legit OEM/expensive Mercedes headlights because everything else is garbage with a lovely beam pattern? I remember the Hella E-codes that I put into my old Miata making such an incredible difference in terms of being able to see very clearly at night without blinding people, and it would be nice for my Mercedes to be the same way because the current lights are just as bad as the Miata's lights were. That's all for now, any advise with this stuff would be appreciated.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 28, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys think of the 2nd gen SLK (the 350; the one that looks like the SLR)? A low mileage manual one popped up near me and it looks like they got surprisingly good press. I know it wouldn't be as nimble or sporty as the S2000 I've been searching for, but it might be more comfortable for road trips with the wife, and I do like retractable hard tops.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

blk posted:

What do you guys think of the 2nd gen SLK (the 350; the one that looks like the SLR)? A low mileage manual one popped up near me and it looks like they got surprisingly good press. I know it wouldn't be as nimble or sporty as the S2000 I've been searching for, but it might be more comfortable for road trips with the wife, and I do like retractable hard tops.

Have you driven the manual? Its not impressive.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
I notice there's a lot of hate for the W203. My questions are as follows:

1) what makes them so bad?
2) can the bad be replaced to make them less bad?

Also, is there a company out there that makes aftermarket internals for Mercedes engines?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Also, is there a company out there that makes aftermarket internals for Mercedes engines?

1) They are unreliable; by every measure. They don't handle well. They are not particularly comfortable or aesthetically pleasing.
2) Yes. Just remove every component from Mercedes and insert almost any other car in its place.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Drive a c230 and compare it to a similar vintage 3 series or other luxury car. Report back and tell us how much you hate the w203.

The interior is poo poo, the handling is horrible, it's underpowered, and it gets poo poo gas mileage while requiring premium gas. It's not even cheap to repair thanks to it being a Merc. There are seriously no redeeming qualities. Even the loving cup holder blows.

I drove a 2000 c230 for a few years and honestly it wasn't necessarily a "bad" car. It just didn't do anything to justify the cost of ownership over a more loaded economy car. The best thing about that car was the day I loaned it to my brother and he totaled it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Drive a c230 and compare it to a similar vintage 3 series or other luxury car. Report back and tell us how much you hate the w203.

The interior is poo poo, the handling is horrible, it's underpowered, and it gets poo poo gas mileage while requiring premium gas. It's not even cheap to repair thanks to it being a Merc. There are seriously no redeeming qualities. Even the loving cup holder blows.

I drove a 2000 c230 for a few years and honestly it wasn't necessarily a "bad" car. It just didn't do anything to justify the cost of ownership over a more loaded economy car. The best thing about that car was the day I loaned it to my brother and he totaled it.

The 2000 was the W202, I believe.

I used to own a W203 Sportcoupe. I liked the interior layout / storage capacity, the freeway mileage (I got up to mid 30s), the brakes (which were truly excellent) and the pano roof. I didn't have any terrible reliability issues with mine that I can think of, except for the antenna amplifier, which is necessary to unlock the doors with the remote over RF (you can still point the remote and do it over IR, though). That's more of an issue on the hatch than the sedan, but I've heard of it failing on both and it's a $1500 repair because they need to take out the loving rear glass.

Edit: Oh yeah, and NVH was ALOT better than a loaded economy car.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 2, 2014

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

blk posted:

I have no idea about the manual as I have an SLK55 but I can say that it is quite comfortable on longer trips. I have heard that the manual is not all that great but you should give it a go. The auto in the 55 is pretty awful in manual mode and might as well not even exist. Otherwise, my car has been extremely reliable and is whisper quiet with the top up. Do note that the trunk is quite small and with the partition down for the top it gets even smaller.

As to handling, they handle pretty decently for how fat they are. They're pretty easy to get in to a nice slide with the traction control off. Note that the post facelift R171 350 gets a bump from 268 to 300 hp.

I really enjoy mine and love that with the top up it's as quite as a coupe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Bio-degradable wiring harness.

That's pretty much all you need to know. And rust.

E: The wiring harness thing may have been the W202. My parents had one of those, what a piece of utter poo poo it was compared to the two 190s they had before.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The W201 was over engineered to almost sillyness, and really same goes for the W126 of that generation too. The mid 90s is when Mercedes quality went to poo poo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wish AMG's werent in the "Stupid money even when totally hosed" category here in Aus.

Cheapest E55 i've seen is $25K and it had both ends of the airmatic rooted, massive engine issues and posessed electrical.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Bio-degradable wiring harness.

That's pretty much all you need to know. And rust.

E: The wiring harness thing may have been the W202. My parents had one of those, what a piece of utter poo poo it was compared to the two 190s they had before.

Definitely not the 203.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

blk posted:

The 2000 was the W202, I believe.

I used to own a W203 Sportcoupe. I liked the interior layout / storage capacity, the freeway mileage (I got up to mid 30s), the brakes (which were truly excellent) and the pano roof. I didn't have any terrible reliability issues with mine that I can think of, except for the antenna amplifier, which is necessary to unlock the doors with the remote over RF (you can still point the remote and do it over IR, though). That's more of an issue on the hatch than the sedan, but I've heard of it failing on both and it's a $1500 repair because they need to take out the loving rear glass.

Edit: Oh yeah, and NVH was ALOT better than a loaded economy car.

I'm an idiot. You're right. W203 was the year after. (I forget that the wiring harness not being poo poo was fixed in the middle of the platform) Most of it still applies though.

If you want a cheap Mercedes go find an old cosworth or diesel, don't bother with the 90s/2000s stuff.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So my girlfriend's cousin just got her license at 18 and has been consulting me on what she should get for her first car. She had about $5,000 to spend, so I tossed out the usual CamryAccordCivicCorolla suggestions, and she test drove a few that seemed super clean and nice.

So of course she bought a 2007 Mercedes C280 4 Matic with 130,000 miles for $9,000.

Keep in mind she borrowed money from her grandparents she has to pay back for the extra cost of the car. It's even missing the original wheels and has some super cheap and lovely looking pepboys alloys on it, but a clean carfax if that even means anything anymore.

The alternator already died on the drive home but got replaced during its ~30 day~ warranty. How screwed is she on this? Any major trouble with these she needs to look out for?

I'm well versed in used high mileage german car ownership ('01 E46) and it's not a fun game to play if funds are tight.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Voltage posted:

The alternator already died on the drive home but got replaced during its ~30 day~ warranty. How screwed is she on this? Any major trouble with these she needs to look out for?

I'm well versed in used high mileage german car ownership ('01 E46) and it's not a fun game to play if funds are tight.

You know this from BMWs, but she could be pretty screwed unless she got a PPI. Basically she needs to pray it isn't in maintenance debt like most high mileage german cars are. Otherwise she's going to be tossing expensive german parts at it left and right (and expensive labor unless she's the type to wrench on it herself). Otherwise no major issues I can think of besides crankshaft position sensors that like to go out.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
She has no idea at all how cars even remotely work - she told me her accelerator was replaced which I found out was actually the alternator. She's going to get the full on blinker fluid treatment I can feel it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Voltage posted:

She has no idea at all how cars even remotely work - she told me her accelerator was replaced which I found out was actually the alternator. She's going to get the full on blinker fluid treatment I can feel it.

I mean, bright side is it doesn't have GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM level issues like BMWs, it's probably just going to need normal wear items. The downside is those wear items and the labor to go with them are going to be double what you'd pay on a Honda/Toyota/Kia/etc. because she bought a luxury brand.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Viper_3000 posted:

If you want a cheap Mercedes go find an old cosworth or diesel, don't bother with the 90s/2000s stuff.

Not anymore, I've seen real piles (worse than mine) go for 6 grand now.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Not anymore, I've seen real piles (worse than mine) go for 6 grand now.

Holy poo poo you're right. I looked at them a year ago as a project car and they were running around 2-3 grand here in the south, but they've doubled now.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Okay, so...

From reading the comments, the general consensus tends to be that the W203 (and likely the W202) are plagued with issues predominantly concerning their reliability. I read up on the W201 and am totally seeing where the concerns originate - wow, what a change. I'm mostly asking because I've had a thing for the W203 sport coupe and I assure you all, am in no way considering buying one any time soon. From what I've seen here, there seems to be way too much wrong with it that only Brabus-level intervention could fix.

Although, a V8-powered short wheel base car like that does have some kind of appeal...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291123016022

Kinda sorry I missed this. Hell of a deal for someone in a state/county without emissions testing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I actually ended up getting the W202 you guys said to avoid last year :v: It's actually really nice. Whoever had it kept it in pristine condition. No problem with the wiring harness, but I couldn't tell you if it's the original or not.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Okay, so...

From reading the comments, the general consensus tends to be that the W203 (and likely the W202) are plagued with issues predominantly concerning their reliability. I read up on the W201 and am totally seeing where the concerns originate - wow, what a change. I'm mostly asking because I've had a thing for the W203 sport coupe and I assure you all, am in no way considering buying one any time soon. From what I've seen here, there seems to be way too much wrong with it that only Brabus-level intervention could fix.

Although, a V8-powered short wheel base car like that does have some kind of appeal...

I really don't think the W203 is expensive or unreliable, but if you're looking for a driver's car, there are better options.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

There's a 2011 GL550 in my driveway... On loan from the MB dealer until Monday. Also looked at a brand-new Durango R/T and a Pilot today, the GL's definitely nicer.

Going to go compare it to a Lexus LX570 on Monday, though. Give me pros and cons as to which you would pick and why? My lizard brain keeps whispering that the LX would be infinitely more reliable, but the GL has something great to it too.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

There's a 2011 GL550 in my driveway... On loan from the MB dealer until Monday. Also looked at a brand-new Durango R/T and a Pilot today, the GL's definitely nicer.

Going to go compare it to a Lexus LX570 on Monday, though. Give me pros and cons as to which you would pick and why? My lizard brain keeps whispering that the LX would be infinitely more reliable, but the GL has something great to it too.

I'm not sure about more reliable, but probably cheaper to own (including depreciation). The GL looks better, I think. The LX is getting old. If I were getting a German SUV I'd get a Cayenne.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

blk posted:

I'm not sure about more reliable, but probably cheaper to own (including depreciation). The GL looks better, I think. The LX is getting old. If I were getting a German SUV I'd get a Cayenne.

Agreed. If you are staying on the road, I cannot think of a better SUV. Besides, the GL looks like a roided out Subaru.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Tai-Pan posted:

Agreed. If you are staying on the road, I cannot think of a better SUV. Besides, the GL looks like a roided out Subaru.

I thought the Cayenne was actually a quite capable offroad vehicle, but due to them being driven mostly by McMansion lyfe soccer moms, they never see trails.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Noeland posted:

I thought the Cayenne was actually a quite capable offroad vehicle, but due to them being driven mostly by McMansion lyfe soccer moms, they never see trails.

landrover.txt

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Noeland posted:

I have no experience with them off-road, but I heard that they are decent enough as well.

I was just saying that if off-road isn't a priority, the Cayenne was a good choice. If this thing was going to be on back road trails a lot you might want to consider something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The Cayenne is excellent offroad (and onroad, for an SUV of it's size).