Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
PM me with better OP info and I'll put it here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

http://mbworld.org/forums/

blk fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

One thing I do now and then for fun is search my local used-cars website for Mercedes and sort by mileage. There are literally hundreds of cars with 500k+ kilometers, and even a few around 1 million. You'd think people were lying the other way around about the mileage or something, almost as if it's a selling point that it has ridiculous mileage.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I want a Mercedes Superlegerra.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Proud owner of a 1983 300SD

God I love their turbodiesels

Also own a Jeep YJ that has been repowered with a OM617 5 Cylinder

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

trouser chili posted:

Real men drive without turbos. Daily driver OM616.912 represent. I'm still loving my 1981 240D 4-speed. It's slow, but comfy! It's also been very easy to work on, and asks for just enough maintenance to keep me interested.

That is what my non-turbo 81 Rabbit Diesel is for :colbert:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 26, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Real men drive without turbos. Daily driver OM616.912 represent. I'm still loving my 1981 240D 4-speed. It's slow, but comfy! It's also been very easy to work on, and asks for just enough maintenance to keep me interested.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ah, a thread I can ask a hilariously dumb question.

What MB models are stupid easy to work on? A good comparison would be a BMW E30 in terms of parts, modifications, and the same ilk.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SL65 Black, of course. (I kid, I'm pretty sure the reason AI has suck a hardon for the old 240s and 300s is they kind of wind up pretty reasonably affordable and decent skillwise for a Benz)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yeah, the only one I know of that's really easy to work on is the W123 cars like my 240d. There is a reason these things are bush taxis in South Africa, and it's because they don't break often and when they do they can be repaired by hitting them with rocks.

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror
1984 190D 2.2 (NONTURBO) 5-speed here, just bought it this summer from the original owner. It only has 67k miles on it, but I plan to fix that :colbert:.

As for Benzs that are stupidly easy to work on, the older ones seem pretty simple engine wise, until you find the monster that lies within (vacuum pumps :toot:)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

blk posted:

There didn't seem to be a general :hitler: MB :hitler: thread for me to drop my questions in, so forgive me for making a new one.

I drive the redheaded stepchild of recent Benzs, a 2002 C230 Sportcoupe. After being in a horrible accident a few years ago that destroyed my ride, I had to shop fast for a car on a tight budget before my insurance rental ran out. The Benz fulfilled my ambitions for a RWD hatch with a sunroof and adequate power (as far as I know, it's the only US market car ever with those criteria, since the 318 hatches ran on hamsters). It's also cheaper for me to insure than a Honda Civic. :what:

For coming out of the dark era of Benz production in the southern United States, the car's done me pretty well. No mechanical problems. A quirky lighting harness and a sunroof that occasionally needs to be retrained, but that's about it.

I'm very aggressive driver, though, and my iteration of the car does not carry the sport package. I'm not sure how well the factory gear would help anyways, but I would really, really, really like to cut down on the body roll. I hate roll with a passion.

What's the cheapest way to do this? Would I actually see much from a roll bar on such a heavy car, or should I be looking at springs and struts? It's value is low enough that I don't want to invest too much in it, although I'm probably going to drive it until it dies.

Right now I'm looking online at what Tirerack has, but am open to any suggestions. There's not much info on this in the Benz forums.

First thing I would do is make sure the timing chain recall has been done - A buddy had his skip a few teeth which caused a massive headache.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
1980 300cd non-turbo owner, the parts guys at the dealer know me. The car swills diesel at 22mpg; with diesel costing more than premium, I could have fueled a Mercedes 6.9 at nearly the same cost. :(

The eighties diesels can mostly be repaired with a 10-19mm socket and wrench set. I've recently had to use a universal joint to reach the coolant block plug, a first in four years of wrenching on it.

Aindriu
Mar 1, 2008
٩๏̯͡๏)۶

The new c-class Mercedes are definitely one of my favorite looking cars on the road at the minute. I'm not a fan of the old style Mercedes but I actually have a 5 year plan to end up driving one of these which is rather ambitious considering that I don't actually own my own car at the minute. The new grill looks incredibly slick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cushy posted:

1984 190D 2.2 (NONTURBO) 5-speed here, just bought it this summer from the original owner. It only has 67k miles on it, but I plan to fix that :colbert:.

As for Benzs that are stupidly easy to work on, the older ones seem pretty simple engine wise, until you find the monster that lies within (vacuum pumps :toot:)

Get an electric vacuum pump and put a plate over the mechanical vacuum pump

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Aindriu posted:

The new c-class Mercedes are definitely one of my favorite looking cars on the road at the minute. I'm not a fan of the old style Mercedes but I actually have a 5 year plan to end up driving one of these which is rather ambitious considering that I don't actually own my own car at the minute. The new grill looks incredibly slick.

sorry, The E-Class coupe is mercedes' best looker right now (except maybe a CL63 in black...UNF)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CommieGIR posted:

Second time I've heard this bit of advice. Something about the mechanical pumps dumping bearings into the engine. Do you know of a commonly used plan and parts list for this modification?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Second time I've heard this bit of advice. Something about the mechanical pumps dumping bearings into the engine. Do you know of a commonly used plan and parts list for this modification?

Here is the pump I am using:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Stainless%20Steel%20Brakes/884/28146SW/10002/-1?CT=999

The cover plate I had to make myself, but its easy to make so you should have no trouble doing so

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror
if I were to have to pick my favorite 'new' Mercedes I would defiantly have to go with this little thing:

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

(I would also take the bike, if I haaaaad to)

e: 2012 CLS AMG (end-of-the-world-model-year edition)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My buddy in college had an '03 C230 KOMPRESSOR and I loved it. Super comfortable and quiet, with decent power/economy for it's weight. (~190 hp, 25mpg) It kept up with my modestly fast CBR600 F2 in a rolling drag, which surprised me.

That car really made my civic look like a clunker :(

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ah, a thread I can ask a hilariously dumb question.

What MB models are stupid easy to work on? A good comparison would be a BMW E30 in terms of parts, modifications, and the same ilk.

W201 190E(Not the 2.3 16v,though). It's around the size of an E30, You can actually find them with manual transmissions on both the 4 and 6-cylinder engines.

W123's will run to the end of eternity.
W124's are good too, but the 5-speed Manual versions are extremely rare.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KlementGottwald posted:

W201 190E(Not the 2.3 16v,though). It's around the size of an E30, You can actually find them with manual transmissions on both the 4 and 6-cylinder engines.

I found parts for the W201 to be on the expensive side. A factory fan clutch was $100, and a monowiper assembly would run you $300. Does that line up with similar items on an E30?

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

CommieGIR posted:

The only reason I don't want to do this is because as it sits, everything I need for my car to run does not require electricity. So I could take out my alternator and battery while the car was running and the only things I would lose would be lights and my control cluster, but the car could still go forever.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Aindriu posted:

I don't know about the sport version, but I tried driving the regular C-class around some cones and it had absolutely horrible handling. The one I drove was AWD, too.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I want a 280SE so bad it makes my dick hurt.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Uh, the best Mercedes is the as yet to be released CLS63 Shooting Brake

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I love the SLS and think it beats out any other modern Mercedes. As for the old school, how about this one?:

click for big

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really want a W123 Coupé or that ^^^^ :3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This thread made me go look for W123 chassis, and I happened upon a factory widebody Mercedes with a blown engine. He's obviously asking too much, but good lord is it sexy and someone needs to buy this.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2059674886.html

Click here for the full 1600x900 image.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 28, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Fayez Butts posted:

Uh, the best Mercedes is the as yet to be released CLS63 Shooting Brake

I dunno. It kind of looks like the fat hawaiian shirt wearing uncle of the AMG.

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

8ender posted:

I dunno. It kind of looks like the fat hawaiian shirt wearing uncle of the AMG.

ya, I think it looks good, but it also looks way to much like the R-class that has been slammed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cushy posted:

The only reason I don't want to do this is because as it sits, everything I need for my car to run does not require electricity. So I could take out my alternator and battery while the car was running and the only things I would lose would be lights and my control cluster, but the car could still go forever.

Well yes of course. Get a new vacuum pump then, I believe they fixed the bearings issue

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

Gullous posted:

My buddy in college had an '03 C230 KOMPRESSOR. It kept up with my modestly fast CBR600 F2 in a rolling drag, which surprised me.

I'm trying to figure out how this is possible. Were you in 6th gear at 30 mph or weigh 500 pounds or something? From a roll that bike should keep up with my E55 and leave a C230 like it's standing still. That bike traps right around 120, and a C230 probably traps 30 mph less.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

This thread made me go look for W123 chassis, and I happened upon a factory widebody Mercedes with a blown engine. He's obviously asking too much, but good lord is it sexy and someone needs to buy this.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2059674886.html

He's been trying to sell this for a while, I've seriously been considering this. I think I may call/ email him tomorrow.

Sup NEO goon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In an effort to see if there was such a widebody W123, I found this:
http://www.1000sel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=72
Don't read the description first, just slowly scroll through the pictures.

Fleetwood75
Sep 30, 2002

blk posted:

my ambitions for a RWD hatch with a sunroof and adequate power (as far as I know, it's the only US market car ever with those criteria

Corvette
Camaro
Firebird
Mustang
Cosworth Vega
Monza (V8)
Pre-82 Sunbird (V8)
Starfire (Second Gen)
Pre-82 Skyhawk

:viggo:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Meathole posted:

I'm trying to figure out how this is possible. Were you in 6th gear at 30 mph or weigh 500 pounds or something? From a roll that bike should keep up with my E55 and leave a C230 like it's standing still. That bike traps right around 120, and a C230 probably traps 30 mph less.

You're right. It wasn't a legitimate drag race, but a rolling "drag" ~35-70mph. I was ahead, but I wasn't walking away either, which is what surprised me; the car has some balls. Do keep in mind my reference for cars at that point was the previously mentioned civic :v:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Gullous posted:

You're right. It wasn't a legitimate drag race, but a rolling "drag" ~35-70mph. I was ahead, but I wasn't walking away either, which is what surprised me; the car has some balls. Do keep in mind my reference for cars at that point was the previously mentioned civic :v:

Did you downshift? The C230s are depressingly slow.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

In an effort to see if there was such a widebody W123, I found this:
http://www.1000sel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=72
Don't read the description first, just slowly scroll through the pictures.

I love that interior. No, seriously. I want a 747 cockpit in my Mercedes.

edit: is that a Casio calculator in the center???

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 28, 2010

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Mercedes powertrains are awesome, I don't understand why they don't offer a manual transmission option in ANY of their cars...

My dad has an old 300-series wagon from the early ninties with ~180k on the clock. The engine is amazingly smooth and still pulls like a dream, everything else is falling apart though.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

kimbo305 posted:

I found parts for the W201 to be on the expensive side. A factory fan clutch was $100, and a monowiper assembly would run you $300. Does that line up with similar items on an E30?

The fan clutch for my E30 was actually more expensive, but I got mine from the dealer. The parts prices for each car are around the same. The 190E also easy to wrench on, it's among the last of the Benzes that are.

Monowipers are expensive, though. Way more expensive than the conventional setup on the E30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
At least with the W123 and W126 models, it's better to buy the last-year produced car. The 1985 W123 has better rustproofing & 2.88 rear gears for more subdued highway cruising.

My 80 300cd has the later style interior, but early style transmission, climate control, window regulators & rustproofing. The driver's side window regulator has broken four times in 30 years and is broken again. The rear quarter windows go down half way due to bent pot metal in the regulators that was reinforced with the later models. The rear glass has the defroster inside the glass, somehow moisture got INSIDE the glass & has delaminated & fogged the defroster wires, the rear glass looks like poo poo.

In conclusion, buy the last year or a gray market variant to cut down on half the stupid Benz issues.

Something like this bitchin' euro 280ce, with manual transmission, windows & climate control. The 5-speed is excessively rare for W123, W124 and W126 models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...5fCarsQ5fTrucks