Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is pretty much it exactly. I got snowed because 1999 WCW was about where TNA is now. Just loving atrociously bad AND boring, AND terrible match quality.

Russo was an improvement. Little did I know it would get even worse in 2000 under Kevin Sullivan.

Al Greene played a dog.

A dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Then Kevin Nash and Macho Man had a feud centered around pouring poop on the other
Most memorable for a female midget contortionist hidden in Nash's gym bag. She pops out and dumps a bucket of gunk over Macho, but nearly ended up stuck in the bag when she couldn't unzip it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nitro 100 was great. Too bad it's all downhill from here :smith:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Say Nothing posted:

Most memorable for a female midget contortionist hidden in Nash's gym bag. She pops out and dumps a bucket of gunk over Macho, but nearly ended up stuck in the bag when she couldn't unzip it.

The story of how that went wrong is pretty amazing. They had done a trial run and everything had gone fine. Then when it came to the real deal, they left the zip in a completely different place and she couldn't reach it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The tag division in the summer of 1999 was really good, but that was about all there was worth tuning in for.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

was the world title tournament a double elimination setup because they pretty much admitted that matches were going to get hosed with?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

LividLiquid posted:

This is pretty much it exactly. I got snowed because 1999 WCW was about where TNA is now. Just loving atrociously bad AND boring, AND terrible match quality.

Russo was an improvement. Little did I know it would get even worse in 2000 under Kevin Sullivan.

Al Greene played a dog.

A dog.

Wrong, he didn't play a dog.

He played The Dog.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I had to work last night. So bummed I missed the 100th Nitro. Any chance for an encore presentation on Tuesday?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bartok posted:

I had to work last night. So bummed I missed the 100th Nitro. Any chance for an encore presentation on Tuesday?

Naitch is gonna do something on Tuesday I think. If he doesn't I can rig the room to replay it then assuming the ghosts cooperate. It's also in the playlist if you'd like to watch it yourself!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wish the stupid WWE Network had all the Nitros on there so we could watch Nitro 100 at our leisure!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

I wish the stupid WWE Network had all the Nitros on there so we could watch Nitro 100 at our leisure!

They gave us all the Clashes, one can only hope.

Plus I want WCW Saturday nights. Those were always fun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As I mentioned in passing, I've been reading The Death of WCW and it's a real mindfuck. I will probably need to read it a second time to sort out the timeline of everything that went wrong in WCW, from the systemic problems that plagued the promotion even in its most successful years to the bizarre gambits and stunts they attempted when they were floundering.

I really appreciate the book for taking a hard look at WCW’s business performance alongside its product. It could have been an endless mockery of every absurd angle and bad match, but it doesn’t indulge in that until it starts covering 1999 when Nitro was just a morass of absolute nonsense from week to week that it’s impossible to cover all of it.

It seems the questions most people want answered are “What was the turning point?” or “Whose fault was it?” I don’t think those are the right questions to ask; it was several overlapping factors and the company died in stages. In 1997 they made some ill-advised creative decisions, in 1998 they lost the ratings war but continued to draw great money, and in 1999 their ticket sales just collapsed.

That being said, I can no longer believe that anyone was more responsible for the company’s downfall than Eric Bischoff, since he brought in Hogan and gave Nash the book. By the time Russo got control of WCW, it was a wreck. I'm not trying to defend Russo; he was a quack doctor who tried to save his patient with snake-oil and meat-juice, but the patient was already gutshot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

I think they'll probably start adding them once the old Raws they're adding catch up. (They're at the end of 1994 at the moment)

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

As I mentioned in passing, I've been reading The Death of WCW and it's a real mindfuck. I will probably need to read it a second time to sort out the timeline of everything that went wrong in WCW, from the systemic problems that plagued the promotion even in its most successful years to the bizarre gambits and stunts they attempted when they were floundering.

I really appreciate the book for taking a hard look at WCW’s business performance alongside its product. It could have been an endless mockery of every absurd angle and bad match, but it doesn’t indulge in that until it starts covering 1999 when Nitro was just a morass of absolute nonsense from week to week that it’s impossible to cover all of it.

It seems the questions most people want answered are “What was the turning point?” or “Whose fault was it?” I don’t think those are the right questions to ask; it was several overlapping factors and the company died in stages. In 1997 they made some ill-advised creative decisions, in 1998 they lost the ratings war but continued to draw great money, and in 1999 their ticket sales just collapsed.

That being said, I can no longer believe that anyone was more responsible for the company’s downfall than Eric Bischoff, since he brought in Hogan and gave Nash the book. By the time Russo got control of WCW, it was a wreck. I'm not trying to defend Russo; he was a quack doctor who tried to save his patient with snake-oil and meat-juice, but the patient was already gutshot.

I remember Meltzer saying something like, "Asking 'Who killed WCW?' is like asking 'Which cigarette killed the cancer victim?'"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The first one!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

Bischoff knows television, or at least enough to fake his ways into the halls of power. But he doesn't know professional wrestling promotion at all. He sort of took it as a given that people would show up. And based on his recent run through with TNA, he still hasn't learned this lesson.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grant DaNasty posted:

I remember Meltzer saying something like, "Asking 'Who killed WCW?' is like asking 'Which cigarette killed the cancer victim?'"

So it was Jim Crockett's fault all along!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Grant DaNasty posted:

I loved the Adventures of the NWO B-Team. Stevie Ray keeping everyone in line with the dreaded SLAPJACK and H-Bomb with his "H-bomb Post-Nuclear Apocalypse Driver" aka the Samoan drop.

I will always remember the time Scott Norton pec slapped a guy;s nipple off at Disney Land.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

Bischoff knows television, or at least enough to fake his ways into the halls of power. But he doesn't know professional wrestling promotion at all. He sort of took it as a given that people would show up. And based on his recent run through with TNA, he still hasn't learned this lesson.
Well, I do have a "When was turning point?" question as regards Bischoff, specifically. When and why did he become obsessed with "beating" McMahon week to week? In 1997 the Hogan entourage caused a lot of creative problems, but they delivered on Luger and Sting. Then things really dropped off precipitously when he suddenly decided he needed to do things like throw away money matches on TV, to say nothing of the petty poo poo like spoiling Raw only to have it backfire on him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I imagine the power trip of beating RAW in the ratings got to his head. People going 'holy poo poo, we're beating WWF!' and he can't very well lose, not now that he's kicking their asses. He'd look like a complete tool. How could you go from winning to losing?

I don't think there's any specific story to it, just a guy letting his ego balloon out of control.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

I imagine the power trip of beating RAW in the ratings got to his head. People going 'holy poo poo, we're beating WWF!' and he can't very well lose, not now that he's kicking their asses. He'd look like a complete tool. How could you go from winning to losing?

I don't think there's any specific story to it, just a guy letting his ego balloon out of control.

He probably got a memo from someone higher up at Time Warner the second ratings started to level off and poo poo just got weird from there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RZApublican posted:

He probably got a memo from someone higher up at Time Warner the second ratings started to level off and poo poo just got weird from there.

Bischoff went insane while the ratings were going UP. Nitro's ratings were higher in 1998 than in 1997. He went completely nuts when Raw caught up and they were doing record business on all fronts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

Meltzer said it best, when he basically said that Bischoff believed that whoever had Hogan would automatically be #1, cause how could anyone beat the company that has the biggest wrestling star of all time?

And based on his recent run through with TNA, he still hasn't learned this lesson.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Meltzer said it best, when he basically said that Bischoff believed that whoever had Hogan would automatically be #1, cause how could anyone beat the company that has the biggest wrestling star of all time?

And based on his recent run through with TNA, he still hasn't learned this lesson.

To be fair, he was right. WCW *did* have the biggest wrestling star of all time.

Then Austin/HBK happened, and then Vince had the biggest wrestling star of all time! :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Couple funny notes from the 4/14/97 Observer

quote:

There is tons of behind-the-scenes heat in regard to the different factions. There is the Kevin Sullivan faction and the Hulk Hogan faction, of which Kevin Nash seems to be the most vocal member. The interview Nash did ending the show on 3/31 was totally not what it was supposed to be. Sullivan wanted him to do a promo running down Hogan and Bischoff for not being there and going to the Rodman thing instead (which he did) as an idea for a one-week storyline to build up this week's ratings, which it did. But Sullivan also asked him to run down Scott Hall, which he refused to do apparently believing it was some kind of a trick and instead praised Hall and did the rest of his interview talking about Little Napoleon (Sullivan) backstage giving orders. All this shoot stuff makes for fascinating television for some people, but it's one thing if it's Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels using it as ammo to sell tickets for an eventual match, but to do it in that way and waste TV time airing real stuff on a fake TV show is kind of unprofessional.

quote:

The Rey Misterio Jr.-Jennifer Anniston story was given great play in the National Enquirer. I know I've written before it's 100% made up, but for whatever reason, some people still want to believe it. What was it that Goebbels said about the big lie?

quote:

There was a nasty auto accident before the PPV on 4/6. Regal, Benoit and Nancy Sullivan (yes, they do their angle ALL the time) were coming from the gym to the hotel when an apparent drunk driver hit Regal's four-wheel drive car that rolled over twice. Nancy was banged up a little and Benoit was bleeding from the hand (that opened up again during the Malenko match) but all were basically fine.

quote:

WCW sources are claiming an 0.9 buy rate for Uncensored and a solid victory over Wrestlemania's 0.77 the next week. One year ago, who would have thought that was possible?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Apropos of nothing: I just watched Clash of the Champions XIII, which features (among other things) a bit with Black Scorpion. Not even the Wrestlecrap page on that angle could prepare me for how balls-out stupid insane that segment was. (He pulled a dude out of the crowd and did magic tricks on him. He turned the guy into a cheetah!)

I think the only thing that would make me laugh harder than that segment is meeting the guy who thought it was a good idea.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

Apropos of nothing: I just watched Clash of the Champions XIII, which features (among other things) a bit with Black Scorpion. Not even the Wrestlecrap page on that angle could prepare me for how balls-out stupid insane that segment was. (He pulled a dude out of the crowd and did magic tricks on him. He turned the guy into a cheetah!)

I think the only thing that would make me laugh harder than that segment is meeting the guy who thought it was a good idea.

You should follow it up with the Havoc 90 main event for some more dumb Black Scorpion booking.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The clashes gave us so many wonderful things:
-White Castle of Fear
-Dungeon of Doom
-Shockmaster
-Sherri and Parker practically loving in the aisle
-Booker T calling out Hulk Hogan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DoctorDelaware posted:

Yeah I watched that segment randomly last week too. I was shocked at how awful it was

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

There was a nasty auto accident before the PPV on 4/6. Regal, Benoit and Nancy Sullivan (yes, they do their angle ALL the time)

Someone smarten Dave up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lance Storm posted a few WCW stories: http://www.stormwrestling.com/061214.html

quote:

This next story is another great example of how overly booked and over written all of the WCW shows were in 2000. There was an Ambulance match booked between Mike Awesome and Booker T on Nitro. An Ambulance match is usually a blow off type match to end a big feud because one man has to beat up the other guy so bad that he is able to stuff him in the back of an ambulance and send him off to the hospital. I was in Guerilla (backstage area right behind the curtain where they send time cues to the refs, cue music and send the guys for their entrances). Mike Awesome went to the ring first and I was standing backstage with Booker. As Mike is standing in the ring Booker is waiting for his music to hit and I hear Ed Ferrara, who was the one giving time cues, send word to the ref to tell Mike Awesome to "Take it home" (go into the finish to end the match) I looked and Booker, Booker looked at me, and I asked him, How is Mike going to do the finish with you standing back here? Booker of course had no idea and just shrugged. His music finally hit so he could do his entrance, with the realization that the people in charge already wanted this match over, and it hadn't even started yet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That story is insane, Lance please be serious for a minute

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Unfortunately, now that I've looked up the match, that story is at least a little inaccurate, maybe Ferrara said it to Mike Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7u1tCjnw8

This is the shortest ambulance match I've ever seen, starting 31 minutes in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance's best work in WCW was when he and the Wall were told to go home at the start of their tables match.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

One last WCW tale, which again involves poor ED and once again illustrates why Bookers are better than Writers and could also be a warning to all who are producing pro-wrestling currently. One afternoon at TV I was walking with Ed Ferarra who had the format sheet for Nitro in his hand and he was organizing what seemed like 100 pre-taped segments backstage. I half jokingly commented to him, "drat, you aren't afraid to write a thousand pre-tapes are you?" To this he responded, "Well, we have to tell these stories." in rebuttal I pointed out, "You know, if given time some of us can actually tell these stories in the ring." This got no verbal response from Ed, all I got from him was a look of befuddlement like this concept had never occurred to him before and he didn't really believe me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Holy poo poo, did WCW actually plant a Rey Misterio/Jennifer Aniston story? Because holy poo poo that is hilarious for a lot of reasons.

Speaking of which, I shamelessly listened to this poo poo back when I was watching WCW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9OaD3dDok&t=17s

WCW tried really hard to get musical cross-promotion throughout the latter era, from the Master P No Limit Soldiers poo poo to the KISS wrestler to ICP showing up, yet they really failed at getting music sales going compared to the WWF at the time. I don't really know how you can be a part of a huge media conglomerate and fail at doing synergistic marketing, but IIRC the WWF at the time was doing pretty well on CD sales and it seems like they had a lot better quality stuff coming out. Was it just a matter of WCW being clueless about their audience, or was Jimmy Hart just really bad at making music and working out favorable licensing terms?

Also, another vivid memory I have of WCW is them constantly loving up themes and other show production elements. Like when the WCW Mayhem CD came out they'd randomly have Sting come out to the crow them, or maybe Metallica, or maybe both in one entrance. It was really weird and jarring, and around that time the WWF was getting very elaborate with their graphics and music whereas WCW just kind of stopped caring about consistency and quality in theirs.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Unfortunately, now that I've looked up the match, that story is at least a little inaccurate, maybe Ferrara said it to Mike Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7u1tCjnw8

This is the shortest ambulance match I've ever seen, starting 31 minutes in.

sitck around after the match for Terry Bollea arriving at the arena and exclaiming "I'M PISSED" to nobody and then the Goldberg monster truck arriving at the arena

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Guerilla Monsoon

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think I've ever linked to this here, Tuesday Nitro viewers are familiar with it but here is Hulk Hogan's best promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGKAZYiOF8&t=127s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

On a scale of one to ten how high was Hulk during that promo?