Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

LobsterMobster posted:

Nick Denis still has my favorite elbow-related destruction.

And then he hurt his head and decided fighting was dumb, time to go back and earn that PhD, making him the only genius to have ever fought.

i think that's how shane carwin should spin his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Yuriy posted:

i think that's how shane carwin should spin his career

He'd gas out mid-spin

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Urijah Faber is terrific at elbows, and he has stubby-rear end arms. Jones' reach helps a bit, as it does for any kind of strike, but I think it's more simply that they're difficult to train so it's unusual for people to be skilled and comfortable with throwing them. Jones is one of those guys that can pull off weird poo poo in the cage even if he doesn't do it as much in training.

Brown/Faber 1 feels like a good example of why Jones can get away with stuff others can't. Not that Jones is only successful because of his reach, but he is less likely to get punched right in the face as you go for a fancy back elbow. Brown/Faber 2 is then a great example of a fight to watch if someone wants to see lots of forearms and elbows. It's like a New Japan Shoot Fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jordan Mein is also real good at elbows.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
[ joe sperg]
OMG Anderson Silva KO'd that guy with an uppercut using his elbow!!!!
/joe]

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Matt Brown is pretty great at hammering people with thrust elbows to get to the clinch

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Standing elbows obviously work well for Jones because he has really long arms, but I do think they're pretty decently utilised now. I think it's a quasi-generational thing. Striking technique in MMA, especially at the top level, is so far ahead of where it was 10 years ago. It really wasn't that long ago that Bas Rutten was saying the jab was pointless in MMA.

I think there used to be this idea for a short while that the ideal combination of skills for MMA had been solved, and that fighters who came into the sport learning "MMA" rather than with a base in something and supplemental skills would be left behind. Related to that was the idea that TMAs were dogshit and useless, which is mostly true, but as the striking game has matured there's room for front kicks, spinning back kicks, taekwondo whatever, because it's not a rare and wondrous thing for a fighter to be able to punch with their left anymore.

The value of MT and a MT specific coach has been seen for a long time, and a lot of the time they're guys who spent significant amounts of time in Thailand and were part of the full Thai rules striking world. But I'm really not sure there's a lot of them out there, because a guy like Daniel Woirin comes along and has worked with every single person in Brazil and now everybody at Team Quest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Standing elbows obviously work well for Jones because he has really long arms, but I do think they're pretty decently utilised now. I think it's a quasi-generational thing. Striking technique in MMA, especially at the top level, is so far ahead of where it was 10 years ago. It really wasn't that long ago that Bas Rutten was saying the jab was pointless in MMA.

I think there used to be this idea for a short while that the ideal combination of skills for MMA had been solved, and that fighters who came into the sport learning "MMA" rather than with a base in something and supplemental skills would be left behind. Related to that was the idea that TMAs were dogshit and useless, which is mostly true, but as the striking game has matured there's room for front kicks, spinning back kicks, taekwondo whatever, because it's not a rare and wondrous thing for a fighter to be able to punch with their left anymore.

The value of MT and a MT specific coach has been seen for a long time, and a lot of the time they're guys who spent significant amounts of time in Thailand and were part of the full Thai rules striking world. But I'm really not sure there's a lot of them out there, because a guy like Daniel Woirin comes along and has worked with every single person in Brazil and now everybody at Team Quest.

It wasn't that long ago Bas was calling for elbows to be banned because they can only cut.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bas Rutten says a lot of stupid poo poo. This picture shows how elbows can be effective and how elbows can backfire massively.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bas Rutten says a lot of stupid poo poo. This picture shows how elbows can be effective and how elbows can backfire massively.

It was awesome because weeks later Jones destroyed Brandon Vera's skull with an elbow. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Appreciate the responses - definitely solved my question. The length of a guys arm for moves like that is one of those things you can forget to factor in but it definitely makes sense being that reach means so much in a fight in general. Didn't know that they didn't come up in training much - I figured guys would be training with the padded helmets or pads on their arms for stuff like that to get a feel for it. Going to have to check out some of the fights that were mentioned too.

Elbows connecting hard are one of those strikes that make me cringe seeing a guy get mashed with them but I can't look away when they happen. Sorta like liver shots.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You used to never really see standing elbows until about 2 years ago, I wonder what the turning point was

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
When did Neer/Wisniewski happen? That was the craziest standing elbow fight I've seen and it lasted like 2 rounds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1st AD posted:

When did Neer/Wisniewski happen? That was the craziest standing elbow fight I've seen and it lasted like 2 rounds.

October 1st, 2011. That was a loving bloodbath.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah I actually remember that as being one of the first big ones, along with Denis killing Rufio from Hook.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

October 1st, 2011. That was a loving bloodbath.

http://www.ufc.tv/video/josh-neer-vs-keith-wisniewski-ufc-live-6 For anyone who wants to relive this. I forgot all about the great mouthpiece hunt.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah if I recall after that fight I started seeing a lot more standing elbows, though only a few guys like Neer or Brown do that weird uppercutting elbow.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

1st AD posted:

Yeah if I recall after that fight I started seeing a lot more standing elbows, though only a few guys like Neer or Brown do that weird uppercutting elbow.

Don't forget when Anderson Silva killed a man with a standing elbow out of boredom.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Captain Log posted:

Don't forget when Anderson Silva killed a man with a standing elbow out of boredom.

after watching bloodsport or some poo poo and repeatedly training at home with his wife and a couch cushion. Such an awesome story

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Pwny_Xpress posted:

after watching bloodsport or some poo poo and repeatedly training at home with his wife and a couch cushion. Such an awesome story

A Tony Jaa movie if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Ong-Bak?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fozzy The Bear posted:

[ joe sperg]
OMG Anderson Silva KO'd that guy with an uppercut using his elbow!!!!
/joe]

Captain Log posted:

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

A Tony Jaa movie if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Ong-Bak?

It was Ong Bak. He apparently asked Rafael Cordiero to practice lead reverse elbows after watching it, was told that was a stupid waste of time, so he spent a half hour every night at home lead reverse elbowing a pillow held by his wife and won his next fight by lead reverse elbow, then never threw one again.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It was Ong Bak. He apparently asked Rafael Cordiero to practice lead reverse elbows after watching it, was told that was a stupid waste of time, so he spent a half hour every night at home lead reverse elbowing a pillow held by his wife and won his next fight by lead reverse elbow, then never threw one again.

It's loving bizarre to me that there are people who don't like Anderson Silva

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

There was that one time where he spent 2 rounds literally running away from Demian Maia's standup prowess. That made me dislike him a bit.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That made me angry at the time but now that the sting of paying money for that has faded I have to admit it's pretty badass to be so good at fighting you can say "I don't think you've earned this title shot so I'm gonna effortlessly win 2.5 rounds then make sure the rest of the fight is brutally boring so you get absolutely zero career boost from sharing the cage with me."

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermos H Christ posted:

That made me angry at the time but now that the sting of paying money for that has faded I have to admit it's pretty badass to be so good at fighting you can say "I don't think you've earned this title shot so I'm gonna effortlessly win 2.5 rounds then make sure the rest of the fight is brutally boring so you get absolutely zero career boost from sharing the cage with me."

No, it's immature and stupid. Fighting is his job, he's being paid to fight. If he was trying his hardest to win and just looked bad, it's one thing, but he did the bare minimum and then got on his bike and wasted everyone's $45. It's like an actor deliberately doing a poo poo job in a movie on purpose because he thinks the script is beneath him but he needs the paycheck.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

No, it's immature and stupid. Fighting is his job, he's being paid to fight. If he was trying his hardest to win and just looked bad, it's one thing, but he did the bare minimum and then got on his bike and wasted everyone's $45. It's like an actor deliberately doing a poo poo job in a movie on purpose because he thinks the script is beneath him but he needs the paycheck.

I thought the latter half of Marlon Brando's career was amazing. To each their own I guess.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

I can tell you as a point of comparison, the median basketball player misses 10% of the season with injuries. I think hockey is similar. Does the average fighter have to back out or reshedule 1/10th of his fights? That seems like it might be in the ballpark.

Anecdotally that...sounds about right? Excluding your outliers like Nog. I suppose the main difference (and I might be wrong about this, and who knows if it even changes anything) is that basketball players predominantly get injured during games while fighters usually injure themselves in training. But fighters spend months training for a fight and ballers play three times a week so I dunno if you can make a meaningful interpretation of that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I get that, but it's not like he didn't demonstrate his superiority at fighting. He casually smashed Maia's face in the process of putting on a silly dance act. I was very angry at the time but it also adds to his legend because it should be impossible for anyone to be so good enough at fighting they can do that to a guy who could kill any of us without raising his heart rate.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

I get that, but it's not like he didn't demonstrate his superiority at fighting. He casually smashed Maia's face in the process of putting on a silly dance act. I was very angry at the time but it also adds to his legend because it should be impossible for anyone to be so good enough at fighting they can do that to a guy who could kill any of us without raising his heart rate.

Everyone should grasp by now that the silly dance act is an intrinsic part of his game used to bait and draw in guys who are hesitant to engage. The first half of that fight is Anderson utilizing that strategy to some success, but not enough to stop the fight. The second half is more open to interpretation but in my opinion is mostly about Silva beginning to fatigue and realize he wouldn't likely be getting the finish, thus stall tactics disguised as taunting. It's a relatively weak performance in his career however you spin it.

Also majorly disagree with the guy (edit: no wait that's also you) who said Anderson's actions kept Maia's stock from being raised. Before the fight people were pretty sure Maia would get annihilated in the first. By the end of it people were chanting his name.

Also, I forget whether the judges actually scored rounds 4 and/or 5 for Maia, but they certainly could have, at least in that they do crazier things all the time. If Dan Miragliotta was competent he also could've taken a point for timidity (the moment when Silva hid behind him would've been the time), meaning we were all robbed of the most hilarious draw.

People talk about that fight likes it's Silva vs Okami 2 minus the knockout, but it's really more like GSP vs Shields minus the eyepoke

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2014

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Are we just never going to talk about how Anderson blatantly cheated in Sonnen 2 again? Because as recently as a few days ago I recall someone describing that second round as "Chael giving up as soon as he stopped being able to get the takedown" and I think that is disingenuous both to that fight and to the discussion of reasons why people may have disliked Anderson Silva.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Do people really hate Silva because he grabbed shorts one time or do they hate him because he finished their favourite fighter twice?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I dislike him because he's disingenuous, attempted to murder someone for slapping him, and has been difficult to deal with. Him praising Weidman saying he's the best twice than having a list of excuses after both fights despite getting dominated was also annoying.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

vainman posted:

Do people really hate Silva because he grabbed shorts one time or do they hate him because he finished their favourite fighter twice?

Obviously the latter, but the former gives them ammo for their cause.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

-Atom- posted:

Obviously the latter, but the former gives them ammo for their cause.

Actually,

Seltzer posted:

I dislike him because he's disingenuous, attempted to murder someone for slapping him, and has been difficult to deal with. Him praising Weidman saying he's the best twice than having a list of excuses after both fights despite getting dominated was also annoying.

For me personally it's generally water under the bridge now that he isn't champ and Weidman wrecked him twice. My opinion on him also cooled after Jon Jones showed up and exuded every dickish, difficult-to-work-with quality Anderson had magnified tenfold.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm still really confused why people think grabbing shorts is a fool proof takedown defense. Like there are takedown in gi bjj and I've never been taught to grab pants when someone shoots a double

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Are we just never going to talk about how Anderson blatantly cheated in Sonnen 2 again? Because as recently as a few days ago I recall someone describing that second round as "Chael giving up as soon as he stopped being able to get the takedown" and I think that is disingenuous both to that fight and to the discussion of reasons why people may have disliked Anderson Silva.

That's exactly what happened though. Chael giving up is up for debate but he couldn't take Anderson down and promptly got destroyed.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

For me personally it's generally water under the bridge now that he isn't champ and Weidman wrecked him twice. My opinion on him also cooled after Jon Jones showed up and exuded every dickish, difficult-to-work-with quality Anderson had magnified tenfold.

This is exactly what got me thinking Anderson Silva wasn't that bad. Well Jones and most recently Wanderlei. It was a team effort.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

anderson grabbed the shorts but that doesn't mean that chael didn't look like he was going to cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It sucks that Anderson cheated against such an upstanding and honest opponent.