Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Uomoz is working on a pretty huge update to USS that changes system fleet generation, adds bounty hunts and poo poo, meanwhile I'm collaborating with some guys to polish Blackrock. A lot of the faction mods are going to get nifty updates shortly and then it's all going to be rolled into Uomoz' Sector for one huge amazing update.

Meanwhile though, Exigency just got a pretty significant patch.

Also shader support can be hacked into the SS engine. Apparently.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Awesome to hear!

Mostly because I want to play Blackrock in Uomoz, but... getting a fleet off the ground is so drat hard in that system >.>

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVwFkGRVhk

First practical implementation of ShaderLib

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVwFkGRVhk

First practical implementation of ShaderLib

drat nifty stuff. Anyway, next version of Shadowyards released:

0.4.4 Changelog:
    Added a new hullmod to most Shadowyards vessels -- Harmonic Shield Conduits; these flux systems increase passive flux dissipation at higher hard flux.
    * Also added icons for all Shadowyards hullmods.
    Added the Kobold class support fighter to SHI's fleets.
    Added the Splinter type rocket launcher in both small and medium sizes.
    Completely reworked the Elysium-class Light cruiser.
    *Entire different and asymmetrical turret layout.
    *Replaced buggy Pandora array with much nastier Pandora which shoots a fan of damaging emp/lighting bolts -- a lightning shotgun if you will.
    *Replaced absurd Engine thrust system with a new Remote Engine Inhibitor System, which can remotely cause engine malfunctions in ships hit with the device.
    Added an on hit effect to the Wavebeam to allow it to occasionally deal extra damage on hits to the enemies hull.
    *Also changed it's name to the Wavepulse Cannon
    Adjusted maintenance costs for all ships to account for general balance changes in 0.6.2a
    Additional balancing and adjustments to maintenance costs for the following Shadowyards destroyers.
    *Morningstar adjusted to 4.5 supplies/day and 3.5% repaired/day
    *Sargasso adjusted to 3 supplies/day and 3% repairs/day.
    *Solidarity adjusted to 3 supplies/day and 3.5% repaired/day.
    *Potnia-bis adjusted to 2.5 supplies/day and 3.5% repaired/day.
    **It's possible that this may be a bit much. Please let me know if I've overdone it.
    Numerous changes to Shadowyards fightercraft:
    *Skinwalker - minor adjustments to main weapon power.
    **Additionally now comes with a pair of option like drones armed with weaker particle beams that follow it around.
    *Neriad - Main armament replaced with a rapid fire, reasonably accurate machine gun type weapon; this should make it more effective as an interceptor.
    **Additionally adjusted the logic for it's afterburner type system to hopefully be more intelligent about when it fires is speed boost.
    *Raksasha bomber given a short range phase skimmer with 2 charges and a somewhat slower charge rate than the regular version. Also has a wider spread.
    Added additional descriptions for a number of ship systems.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Might not be playing Starsector right now, but i just want to say that i love you guys/gals for making such kickass mods. :swoon:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Just uploaded a new BRDY version too. Will let you guys know when the next Uomoz' Sector version drops, cause it will have all these updates in them as well as new campaign stuff.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Hey guys, I bought Starsector back in 2013, had a blast and then put it on the metaphorical shelf because there wasn't all that much to do. Have we reached the point of Mount & Blade in space yet? If not, is something like this attainable with mods? I'm not so concerned about storylines and whatnot, I just want to be able to eventually run my fleet over to a station and claim it for Faction X or my personal faction.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

This mod lets you do that, it's basically a TC that pits a bunch of factions against each other in a bid for Sector takeover. That mod is currently slightly outdated though, so might be broken with the latest faction mods, although it should run just fine with vanilla factions if you don't care about additional factions, and will still let you enjoy the Sector takeover gameplay.

There are also mods that add a bunch of interesting poo poo to the campaign like bounty hunts, tons of new factions, entirely randomized variant generator algorithms (SS+ and Uomoz' Sector) (big fan of this one, along with the Voidwalker faction, it sort of turns the game into a roguelike)

If I were you I'd try Exerelin, watch this thread and then try out the new version of Uomoz Sector when it drops in a few days. Keep in mind that these big mods require you to manually increase Starsector's memory allocation, but you can easily find out how to on their threads.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like Uomoz just updated his mod again (as in his thread's front page is updated, not just another crazy dev version). Apparently he fixed that bug that caused stuff in your storage to get randomly deleted once you had too much stuff.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yep, check out the new USS, it has
- Bounties
- Revised faction systems and loyalties
- A TON of action going on at any given location
- Voidwalker faction for roguelike, gently caress-the-universe gameplay
- Updated versions of every major faction mod
- New graphic effects, shader-based and otherwise

Here's something I've been working on recently, also shows off the new dynamic lights quite well

http://gfycat.com/AgreeablePlaintiveHippopotamus

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2014

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Using USS, I've noticed the following:

I get errors on certain refits with Hullmods not being available (Blackrock Targeting Suite for one)

Maybe I have to wait a bit since it hasn't been a common spawn in a while, but I haven't seen any Serket stealth fighters around the BRDY bazaars. They're there. Very rare, though.

Definately having fun tinkering with the new craft!

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So far... it takes me about 3-4 new games to get one where my starting fleet isn't gobbled up by a death fleet before I get to a gravity well.

It'd be nice if that part didn't happen >.>

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is the bug where saves wouldn't load fixed yet? That's put me off starsector for a really long time and I really want to get back into it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New blog:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2014/06/06/markets/

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

It's good to see that he's developing the market system. It's pretty boring right now.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is the bug where saves wouldn't load fixed yet? That's put me off starsector for a really long time and I really want to get back into it.

Have you edited the vmparams file? It probably should be in the OP, but if you follow the link to the Uomoz mod, instructions are at the top of the post. Actually, gently caress that. Here:

Open your Stasector directory, edit the vmparams file notepad, inside it replace -Xms512m -Xmx512m with -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.
For Mac users, the file to change is Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh.
Also helps to put jre 64bit in the main Starsector folder, instead of the vanilla 32bit version if you have a 64bit OS http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

Ever since I edited my file, I haven't had problems.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Drone_Fragger posted:

You shouldn't get this unless you're playing some mods and even then you can fix it by modifying vmparams.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Geburan posted:

Have you edited the vmparams file? It probably should be in the OP, but if you follow the link to the Uomoz mod, instructions are at the top of the post. Actually, gently caress that. Here:

Open your Stasector directory, edit the vmparams file notepad, inside it replace -Xms512m -Xmx512m with -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.
For Mac users, the file to change is Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh.
Also helps to put jre 64bit in the main Starsector folder, instead of the vanilla 32bit version if you have a 64bit OS http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

Ever since I edited my file, I haven't had problems.

So ummm, I'm on a Mac, and there is no such file. The only thing in Contents/MacOS is JavaApplicationStub, and as far as I can tell the file does not exist anywhere else either.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
I am having this problem in USS, that only Blackrock seems to be restocking their stations with ships. This makes it very hard to start out allied with the other factions, since you get no ships to work with, save all the useless hound variants. Anyone else has this issue?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
How do you do the "be an overlord with your own followers" thing in Uomoz? Seems like it'd be as good as Exelerin if I could figure out how to go all Mount and Blade in it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

How do you do the "be an overlord with your own followers" thing in Uomoz? Seems like it'd be as good as Exelerin if I could figure out how to go all Mount and Blade in it.

There is a voidwalkers station in the space hyperspace between the systems, capture that and every faction turns against you. Its fun and you get a faction to manage etc but you won't be able to capture territory as in Exerelin as far as I remember.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

DarkRevenant, me and a few others are working on an arcade mission that's part of Starsector Plus. Basically, you have to fight waves of enemies, you get into score-multiplying kill streaks that reload all your weapons and replenish ammo, every ship in the game can spawn, and they can also spawn as three types of diablo-style elite mook with differing color tints and traits.

The best part is the bosses, though. Here's a gif of one of the attacks of the final boss being tested.

http://gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteRemorsefulHen

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DarkRevenant, me and a few others are working on an arcade mission that's part of Starsector Plus. Basically, you have to fight waves of enemies, you get into score-multiplying kill streaks that reload all your weapons and replenish ammo, every ship in the game can spawn, and they can also spawn as three types of diablo-style elite mook with differing color tints and traits.

The best part is the bosses, though. Here's a gif of one of the attacks of the final boss being tested.

http://gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteRemorsefulHen

Oh my God it becomes a space bullet hell.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Arcade is OUT.

Check it out and post your highscores!

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7679.msg136237#msg136237

Note that it needs ShaderLib etc

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Also uh, is it a bug with uomoz sector or with the base game that the skill that's meant to increase your burn drive rating doesn't work? Like, ships in your fleet show the increased values (in my case it's at level 4 so it's 2/2/1/0 I think) but then when you're flying around in space it still uses the base values?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

In development patch notes were updated, I didn't see anything big that wasn't covered explicitly or implicitly in the blog posts.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7885.0

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Unreal_One posted:

In development patch notes were updated, I didn't see anything big that wasn't covered explicitly or implicitly in the blog posts.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7885.0

Apparently harvested organs are one of the commodities you can buy. :psyduck:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lowen posted:

Apparently harvested organs are one of the commodities you can buy. :psyduck:

Welp, hope i can scan ships before i destroy them. Because i know exactly which ships will be getting the hammer whenever i see the contents of their cargo. :fuckoff:

At least i assume this is the intended reaction!

Arcade is OUT.

Check it out and post your highscores!

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7679.msg136237#msg136237

Note that it needs ShaderLib etc

Man, after that gif i totally need to get back into this game. After im done with Wildstar, and distant worlds, and Rimworld, and... :raise:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
God I cannot wait for the new version to come out.

Once all this trading stuff is in I really just want to play Vanilla + Blackrock for a little while before going back to complex stuff like Uomoz'

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Took a break from this a while back and now it's even more exciting than when I picked it up. Can't wait to see what the trading stuff will do to help keep the game interesting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Thyrork posted:

After im done with Wildstar, and distant worlds, and Rimworld, and... :raise:

Don't worry NCSoft will cancel Wildstar unexpectedly in a few months and then you can just go on to whatever

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some brave fool is designing an entire herd of Buffaloes:

:getin:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Some brave fool is designing an entire herd of Buffaloes:

:getin:

Waste no part of that huge-rear end buffalo! :black101:

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I wonder if they ever find room for a shield generator?

Orv
May 4, 2011

feedtheid posted:

I wonder if they ever find room for a shield generator?

That's where the damaged section is.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

That makes me want for "Boss" warships that are multi component designs that need chunks blowing off to disable major weapon subsystems, ship abilities and to get to the delicious, crunchy core. :haw:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Is it me, or has Uomoz drastically reduced the number of factions in his mod?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bell_ posted:

Is it me, or has Uomoz drastically reduced the number of factions in his mod?

He did, it needed cleaning up, and it's really hard to keep that many factions up to date and with any semblance of balance.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
A lot of the guys behind some of the factions have fallen behind in actually updating there mods, some folks just get tired of modding. Uomoz seems to want his mod to actually be a really solid thing with lots of its own features rather than just the crazy compilation mishmash that it used to be way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

A lot of the guys behind some of the factions have fallen behind in actually updating there mods, some folks just get tired of modding. Uomoz seems to want his mod to actually be a really solid thing with lots of its own features rather than just the crazy compilation mishmash that it used to be way back when.

Which sucks sometimes! Since one of my absolute favourite fleets were the Lotus Conglomerate . They were fast, light armoured ballistic and missile armed ships. They usually had about half the armour of the midtech ships, a good amount of speed over them, and my favourite capital ship - the Vanquish Class. Mostly because it was a mid to close range capital ship with flight bays, which made me actually want to use fighters.

But they've been out-of-date for almost a year now. Didn't even make it to ship systems :(