Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Isn't SmartOS just a limited VAAI and Vm-open-tools ready appliance?

See adorai's response. SmartOS is closer to ESXi than anything. It is absolutely not an appliance in the sense that it's designed to be a guest. It's a host. It's designed to be a relatively stateless hypervisor based on ZFS, zones, and KVM (intel-only, I think) ported to the IllumOS kernel. It's an anonymous operating system which CoreOS is probably molded off of which shouldn't run any real services itself, but solely should be used for hosting guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mattisacomputer posted:

What makes you say that? Oh...

Hahaha, sorry dude. Yes, never, ever, ever update to the latest IBM code until it cooks for a few months. Are you using real time compression?

In other news, I just configured my first Flash 820 and presented to the SVC. Next I get to set up a Vdisk mirror and see how this sumbitch performs with Oracle.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Kaddish posted:

Hahaha, sorry dude. Yes, never, ever, ever update to the latest IBM code until it cooks for a few months. Are you using real time compression?

In other news, I just configured my first Flash 820 and presented to the SVC. Next I get to set up a Vdisk mirror and see how this sumbitch performs with Oracle.

Hah noo I downloaded it out of habit but didn't plan on installing it for a few weeks. I'm still on 7.2.0.6 across the board.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi. Does anybody have any article that I can show a CIO so he believes me when I say hybrid SSD/HDD SAN is going to be just as reliable as a just-HDD SAN? he says SSD more prone to failure.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Full clone virtual desktops are not that abnormal, and even people like Brian Madden recommend them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hi. Does anybody have any article that I can show a CIO so he believes me when I say hybrid SSD/HDD SAN is going to be just as reliable as a just-HDD SAN? he says SSD more prone to failure.

Which vendor are you looking at? Reliability is a property of a system overall, so no one can really answer this question in general. But in many cases (eg Nimble) the SSD is just used as write through read cache, so even if you lose the SSD pool you don't lose data because writes always commit to HDD. And if the data is important then it will be protected with parity of some sort.

SSD also isn't more prone to failure generally. SSDs are guaranteed to fail within a certain time frame at a certain write level, but that time frame is going to be many years on modern devices. The lack of mechanical parts also make them more resilient to the sorts of things that can catastrophically kill an HDD.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

Which vendor are you looking at? Reliability is a property of a system overall, so no one can really answer this question in general. But in many cases (eg Nimble) the SSD is just used as write through read cache, so even if you lose the SSD pool you don't lose data because writes always commit to HDD. And if the data is important then it will be protected with parity of some sort.

SSD also isn't more prone to failure generally. SSDs are guaranteed to fail within a certain time frame at a certain write level, but that time frame is going to be many years on modern devices. The lack of mechanical parts also make them more resilient to the sorts of things that can catastrophically kill an HDD.

yeah we're looking at nimble... what you're saying is basically what I know. I want to show him an article about it though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

yeah we're looking at nimble... what you're saying is basically what I know. I want to show him an article about it though.

I don't think anyone has written that article because you'd have to be an idiot to not understand it.

What does he think happens when an SSD fails in a Nimble array? What is his concern? Data loss, service outage, poor performance?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NippleFloss posted:

I'm fairly sure you didn't mean to say "write-through read cache" because that combination of words is a total :psyduck:

Like you said, this is a big "it depends," because complicated engineered systems differ wildly from one another. If you were to run an IBM SONAS or some other appliance where the metadata can be stored separately from the filesystem data, it would certainly go on SSD for performance. In these cases, your SSD is not just important, it's the most critical layer of your system.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Misogynist posted:

I'm fairly sure you didn't mean to say "write-through read cache" because that combination of words is a total :psyduck:

Typed read cache, then changed it to write through cache, but not well enough. Phone posting.

I'm actually not sure if Nimble cache is write through, or if it caches on first read, but either way the persistent store is HDD and losing an SSD just means the loss of some cache capacity.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think anyone has written that article because you'd have to be an idiot to not understand it.

I dunno, it seems like a perfect topic for the few remaining dead tree magazines that out-of-touch execs like this CIO read while on the can.

But yeah, if you could specify what kind of failure he is worried about maybe we could dredge something up. "Reliability" in the abstract is so broad that it's meaningless to talk about.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Can anyone link me to an article on whether black painted arrays fail more than white painted arrays? My dumb boss says white painted arrays fail more.

Sorry, forums poster NevergirlsOFFICIAL, your boss is a big ole dummy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Let me know if you have any questions about them. I am running a few of them here with a few expansion shelves.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

NippleFloss posted:

Typed read cache, then changed it to write through cache, but not well enough. Phone posting.

I'm actually not sure if Nimble cache is write through, or if it caches on first read, but either way the persistent store is HDD and losing an SSD just means the loss of some cache capacity.

The SSDs in a Nimble array are read cache only, writes are coalesced in NVRAM into CASL stripes before being committed to disk.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ragzilla posted:

The SSDs in a Nimble array are read cache only, writes are coalesced in NVRAM into CASL stripes before being committed to disk.

I know, my question was about whether the cache is populated when new data is written (write-through) or only on reads.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

zen death robot posted:

I kind of forgot about this thread, but if anyone is ever planning on using block deduplication on 2nd gen VNX's be very very careful about doing it. I had a major issue last month where even when we followed all of the best practices laid out in the whitepapers we had some blocks deduplicate a little TOO well and it brought down the SPs and we had rolling outages on the drat array for a week. The only reason we were able to get ourselves out of the mess was because we had everything behind VPLEX and had enough disk space to migrate the LUNs out of the deduplicated space into standard thin luns.

I really don't think the block deduplication is ready for use at all. Maybe if you're planning on using it for some kind of archival storage only or something, but really don't even bother with it then. The pool we had was built out of all flash and 15K 300GB drives, so it wasn't even an IOPS issue, it's just not "smart" enough to realize that it's got too many references back to the same block and to split it off to a new one. It'll just beat itself to death, and the process runs all on CPU0.

EDIT: I should add that this particular environment is a horribly set up "VDI" cluster where the people who actually do the day-to-day mangement refuse to implement linked clones. So to make up for that we used deduplication on our old NetApp arrays, and assumed we would be able to do the same on our VNX2 replacements. In some ways I'm not too broken up about this because I'm just using it ammo for them to start doing this poo poo the right way and start using linked clones instead of deploying full-blown images for loving virtual desktops. :rant: You can probably imagine how the deduplcation engine managed to eat itself alive when you have 500 Windows 7 and another 500 Windows XP desktop deployments that are mostly identical in the same pool. It's a pretty extreme case, but it's something to consider before turning it on.

Well you are right, your setup is pretty dumb and was destined to fail. You had windows 500 machines targeting the same pool? Hell, were they all the same lun? Which VNX system are you guys using? Was your dedup settings set to max? Sounds like a system that was getting too greedy when disk is especially cheap these days.

Block dedupe is a great tool and makes a lot of sense. From a san perspective its not a magic pill that is going to suddenly going to make your storage needs drop by 1000%. In all honesty it shines more with your nl-sas storage pools in which you are tiering your less active data to (which yeah, is more like an archiving like scenario you mentioned). Your most active data should be on your 15k and flash, but even then you need to split it up among pools to ensure your processing isn't going to be pushed.

The netapp way of doing things and the EMC way is just different. You really shouldn't have expected your design to stay the same going from netapp to emc. I imagine that the flash%, the dedupe policies, the tiering (which i guess you probably aren't even using effectively, if at all).

I have just gone through the same transition from netapp to emc but I had the ability to build from the ground up.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

NippleFloss posted:

I know, my question was about whether the cache is populated when new data is written (write-through) or only on reads.

It depends, if the data is considered 'hot' it will place the CASL stripe in flash as well as disk (according to public whitepapers, I haven't seen any metrics in Infosight which provide feedback on this).

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

zen death robot posted:

Now, if you think that EMC did that just to make me personally feel like I'm not a gigantic fuckup that shouldn't be allowed to touch an array after causing a week long outage then that's cool I guess. Hell they even gave me 3 more shelves of flash disks too because this poo poo was such a massive disaster.

That said, I will say that when they recognize when something is thier fault, EMC will loving bend over backwards to make it right.

Hey, although three more shelves of disks sounds nice keep an eye on your CPU utilisation. What is it at currently?

If it's high already throwing more SSD's into the mix can drive it even higher as they're doing less waiting and more working. Good problem to have but it can mean two things:

1.) You drive it to 100% utilisation and basically have an array redlining for more than a burst
2.) The general CPU utlisation goes higher (50%+) and if you lose an SP the other can cope but not without apps suffering.

Good gift to have but still something to watch, ther eis a sweet spot with SSD's and you can overdose! :)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm strictly IBM with a few re-branded things here and there (NSeries, etc) and all the continual horror stories regarding EMC make me very glad of this fact.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I'm fairly new to SANs and I've been charged with contacting vendors to implement a solution at the ISP I work for. We have an ageing infrastructure and no unified storage solution at all. Our mixed physical/virtual environment is mostly DNS, Web, MySQL, Mail and RADIUS on some old Dell 2950's and some generic 1u servers. The Radius, MySQL and Mail servers are fairly IO intensive (mostly writes) where everything else is pretty low on requirements and . We'll need about 12-24TB of storage to start and we'll want to do offsite replication for DR. Network speed between our sites will mostly be a non issue as we own the fibre network between them and we can easily support multiple 10 Gbe links.

So far I've contacted EMC, NetApp and Dell to start the initial exploratory talks. When dealing with them, considering the above, what should I be expecting and is there anything I should watch out for? Also considering the above are there any other vendors I should investigate?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

do you need fibrechannel because if not look at nimble

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

do you need fibrechannel because if not look at nimble

We'll likely use iSCSI but FC is not out of the question at this point. I'll have to take a look at Nimble. How is their pricing compared to EMC, NetApp, Dell, etc. ?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kaddish posted:

I'm strictly IBM with a few re-branded things here and there (NSeries, etc) and all the continual horror stories regarding EMC make me very glad of this fact.
Ask me about SONAS replications that take fourteen weeks to finish

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Ask me about SONAS replications that take fourteen weeks to finish
Ask me about v7k shelf errors that take arrays down for fun

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

bigmandan posted:

We'll likely use iSCSI but FC is not out of the question at this point. I'll have to take a look at Nimble. How is their pricing compared to EMC, NetApp, Dell, etc. ?

Often cheaper, but pricing is pretty maleable. If you let everyone know who they are competing against you can usually get the prices in the same ballpark.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

evil_bunnY posted:

Ask me about IBM remote support sending out a CE to re-seat, and possibly replace one node in one of our V7Ks, which resulted in the system being offline for over 24 hours.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Every vendor has good and bad stories. poo poo happens, it's no point saying 'wow I better avoid x'

Just do the right thing - which is whatever is good for your CV :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

It wouldn't even be a big deal if they didn't remove the contra-rotating cable configuration that the DS series had, which prevented this exact scenario from taking out every shelf down the chain :shobon:

mattisacomputer posted:

Ask me about IBM remote support sending out a CE to re-seat, and possibly replace one node in one of our V7Ks, which resulted in the system being offline for over 24 hours.
I had a tech replace a controller in a DS4800. Because the controllers come out the back of the rack, where the PDUs are, the whole thing came unplugged in the middle of production. That was the day I learned you can plug in an unplugged DS series storage array and have it truck on from battery backup like it never lost power. I don't think we timed out a single write.

Vanilla posted:

Every vendor has good and bad stories. poo poo happens, it's no point saying 'wow I better avoid x'

NO. WRONG. NEVER BUY DDN.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

It wouldn't even be a big deal if they didn't remove the contra-rotating cable configuration that the DS series had, which prevented this exact scenario from taking out every shelf down the chain :shobon:
No it was a software error on disk failure. Our colleagues had a grand old time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

No it was a software error on disk failure. Our colleagues had a grand old time.
Oh, that's right, there was the time that we had a CE come out after a call-home to replace a disk that was showing up as failed in the V7000 GUI. He couldn't find the disk, and I couldn't find the disk, and there were no failure lights on the array. Finally, he left, and I counted up the disks in the GUI, and there was one more disk listed (the failed one, presumably) than actually existed in the array. :psypop:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Oh, that's right, there was the time that we had a CE come out after a call-home to replace a disk that was showing up as failed in the V7000 GUI. He couldn't find the disk, and I couldn't find the disk, and there were no failure lights on the array. Finally, he left, and I counted up the disks in the GUI, and there was one more disk listed (the failed one, presumably) than actually existed in the array. :psypop:
ENTERPRISE-GRADE.TXT

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

zen death robot posted:

Not everyone will run into this, but it's just a word of caution. I expect it'll be fixed in the next few months as well. Hell, I'm buying more VNXs for several other sites I manage as well. I think it's a great platform overall. I was just bit by this particular issue on a fairly new feature and the code that the VNX2 platform is running on is quite different from the Clarrion/Old-VNX platform so I'm not totally surprised something came along, really.

Yep, from what I hear the VNX2 is pretty much all new software from the ground up so I would not be shocked to hear of a spike in issues for a while.

Rewrite was long overdue anyway, mushrooming starting to creep in and then the widescale use of SSD's forced it quite a bit.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Bitch Stewie posted:

We're probably about to go for a HUS 110.

Feedback so far is that they're dull boring fuckers with a slightly nasty management interface but they just work with no real fuss - any feedback would be great thanks :)

I've got a HUS110, and yeah, basically everything Aquila said. Make sure you're getting the features you want/need and read all of the catches and caveats. Lots of poo poo is licensed separately and they don't make it simple.

Mine's backing a 3-host VMware cluster, and on iSCSI the hosts would throw up latency warnings every 3 hours like clockwork. Nobody at VMware support, Hitachi, or the VAR could come up with *why* this happens. It's only in VMware's logs, and none of the VMs or applications seem to suffer when it happens. We switched to FC direct connected to the hosts and it just sorta went away... usually... I hate "fixing" poo poo like that.

It does just work though, and was a good bit cheaper than the bids we got from NetApp and EMC.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

zen death robot posted:

Currently on the 5600 it's around 15-20% (on both SPA and SPB) with dedupe off. That's during the busiest times, anyway. When we had dedupe on the engineers were watching it over ESRS where they could get a more granular look at things and saw that CORE 0 was pegging 100% and the other cores weren't all that busy.

A big part of the fanfare about VNX2 was MCx which was supposed to make much better use of multiple processors, which makes it sort of funny that dedupe workload isn't spread across the CPUs.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Same.

Vanilla posted:

HP tape storage is the exception. It's all absolutely terrible.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

I've got a HUS110, and yeah, basically everything Aquila said. Make sure you're getting the features you want/need and read all of the catches and caveats. Lots of poo poo is licensed separately and they don't make it simple.

Mine's backing a 3-host VMware cluster, and on iSCSI the hosts would throw up latency warnings every 3 hours like clockwork. Nobody at VMware support, Hitachi, or the VAR could come up with *why* this happens. It's only in VMware's logs, and none of the VMs or applications seem to suffer when it happens. We switched to FC direct connected to the hosts and it just sorta went away... usually... I hate "fixing" poo poo like that.

It does just work though, and was a good bit cheaper than the bids we got from NetApp and EMC.

Still leading with the HUS 110. Hitachi seem deathly honest but it would be useful to know if you consider there to be any "must have" license options?

We're planning on doing FC direct connect so other than tiering and the performance analyser license I don't see much else that jumps off the page as something we'd need?

Incidentally do you have VAAI? I'm still a little hazy on how the zero reclaim works depending if you have it enabled or not (we're cheap scum so only have vSphere Standard licenses).

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

A big part of the fanfare about VNX2 was MCx which was supposed to make much better use of multiple processors, which makes it sort of funny that dedupe workload isn't spread across the CPUs.

Multiple cores you mean. I think the main reason behind the new code was the fact that, like most old software, the old code was not optimised to use multiple cores generally. CPU's were never the bottleneck unless a system was really overloaded with disk.....

........but then SSD's came along and started to really gently caress such arrays because the CPU's would suddenly become the bottleneck where before they'd be happily chugging along. The new code should spread general workload across all the cores including rebuilds...... but features like dedup are ALWAYS going to be limited intentionally somehow. Sure it would be great if a certain feature did something faster but not at the cost of affecting day to day operation.

I can get a shitload more SSD's into a VNX2 than a VNX and it's not all down to just having a slightly better CPU. Just wish they'd add more storage processors but then they'd be affecting their precious VMAX business.....

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Vanilla posted:

Multiple cores you mean. I think the main reason behind the new code was the fact that, like most old software, the old code was not optimised to use multiple cores generally. CPU's were never the bottleneck unless a system was really overloaded with disk.....

........but then SSD's came along and started to really gently caress such arrays because the CPU's would suddenly become the bottleneck where before they'd be happily chugging along. The new code should spread general workload across all the cores including rebuilds...... but features like dedup are ALWAYS going to be limited intentionally somehow. Sure it would be great if a certain feature did something faster but not at the cost of affecting day to day operation.

I can get a shitload more SSD's into a VNX2 than a VNX and it's not all down to just having a slightly better CPU. Just wish they'd add more storage processors but then they'd be affecting their precious VMAX business.....

Oh, I definitely understand the rewrite. We've been going through the same thing at NetApp, parallelizing ONTAP. And you're correct that it's not trivial. IO, specifically write IO, is inherently difficult to parallelize because ordering often matters a great deal so you can't just spread work between multiple CPUs and hope it gets done in the correct order. Then when you get to things like calculating where to place data, and parity calculations, and metadata updates you can't have other processes updating the same sector of disk white another is working off of in-memory data to calculate the best way to do all of those things.

The issue I have is that inline dedupe should be fairly easy to spread across multiple cores. You're checking data against the fingerprint database as soon as it arrives and deciding whether to write a pointer or a full allocation unit, then sending that along to the write allocator where multi-threading is trickier. Multiple processes checking and updating the fingerprint DB should be relatively easy to manage.

The problem with saying that features like dedupe are always going to be limited is that inline dedupe sits in the middle of your IO path so you CAN'T handicap the rate at which it runs or it becomes unusable for everything but very low IO latency insensitive situations. It's fine to sacrifice dedupe efficiency to keep processing moving along at an acceptable rate , but it sounds like the current VNX2 code does the exact opposite, which is crippling.

Edit: Also, EMC owns Data Domain which has some of the best inline dedupe IP in the world. I can't believe they wouldn't have made use of that.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 19, 2014

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

zen death robot posted:

That said, I will say that when they recognize when something is thier fault, EMC will loving bend over backwards to make it right.

This a thousand times. Without going into specifics, we got a massive upgrade due to sales mouths writing a check the engineering team couldn't cash. It always sucks moving through the pain but when the sales engineering team says you pay for a solution and when their solution fails and you aren't writing a check to bridge the gap, they aren't lying.

As a company, it's got to suck for long term profitability, and I'd prefer it was right out of the gate but as a customer nothing shuts you up off a failure faster than when EMC 'makes it right'. Enterprise support is about more than how fast they can ship new gear off a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KennyG posted:

This a thousand times. Without going into specifics, we got a massive upgrade due to sales mouths writing a check the engineering team couldn't cash. It always sucks moving through the pain but when the sales engineering team says you pay for a solution and when their solution fails and you aren't writing a check to bridge the gap, they aren't lying.

As a company, it's got to suck for long term profitability, and I'd prefer it was right out of the gate but as a customer nothing shuts you up off a failure faster than when EMC 'makes it right'. Enterprise support is about more than how fast they can ship new gear off a break.

Yeah, NetApp did something similar for us at the last gig due to the big CDOT issues we were having last year. They stuck with us via ungodly huge email chains and conference calls until the issues were fixed, and although I don't think anyone was happy with the situation, I think they did get some credit for the response.