Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kalenden posted:

Any additional opinions on Fire and Ice?

I really enjoyed KB and KB:Crossworlds but WoTN was a horrible mess (unbalanced, no innovation whatsoever, etc). Does Fire and Ice make it worth it?

I'm enjoying it a lot. Once I hit the inferno worlds last time, the difficulty curve was like a drat brick wall. Now it's easier to do but there is one (in my opinion) rather large dialogue bug in the game.

For instance, getting told you have wings for your horse when you actually don't get them to much much MUCH later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kalenden posted:

Any additional opinions on Fire and Ice?

I really enjoyed KB and KB:Crossworlds but WoTN was a horrible mess (unbalanced, no innovation whatsoever, etc). Does Fire and Ice make it worth it?

Not flying early is annoying, new monsters are slightly different reskins and theres a gamebreaking bug that if certain reptile enemies try to melee the game crashes so I'd wait.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

socialsecurity posted:

Not flying early is annoying, new monsters are slightly different reskins and theres a gamebreaking bug that if certain reptile enemies try to melee the game crashes so I'd wait.

Based on the patching speed of WotN vanilla if you wait you're going to be waiting a while.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Malek posted:

I'm enjoying it a lot. Once I hit the inferno worlds last time, the difficulty curve was like a drat brick wall. Now it's easier to do but there is one (in my opinion) rather large dialogue bug in the game.

For instance, getting told you have wings for your horse when you actually don't get them to much much MUCH later.

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. I'll wait for when (and if) it gets patched then.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I've seen Steam download updates for the game a few times since the DLC was released. The gamebreaking stuff might have already been hotfixed. I can't confirm though, I only just reached Hades.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

socialsecurity posted:

So that's what it is. Thanks I was wondering what was causing this...

Kanos posted:

Based on the patching speed of WotN vanilla if you wait you're going to be waiting a while.

Oh... :smith:

Suspicious posted:

I've seen Steam download updates for the game a few times since the DLC was released. The gamebreaking stuff might have already been hotfixed. I can't confirm though, I only just reached Hades.

In vanilla you would've got the flying horse by now. (Honestly I like this change as it was given a bit TOO early in my opinion) granted the dialogue is still there... but now, you get it right after you get the last Valkyrie.

Also the crashes (for me) are only on the new Ice Island Lizard men caves... asides the occasional over-world inexplicable (WotN has stopped working) bug but just keep a finger on the F5 key and you'll be fine.

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 13, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I beat the vanilla game last year in May. In my playthrough, there were still bugs and crashes that required weird solutions to get around, poor balancing, and still incompleteable quests. The last patch they released was in January 2013 (!). So unless the expansion also included fixes for the base game instead of introducing more bugs, there have been no hotfixes in over a year of developer silence.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are the KB games even being made by the same developer now?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

victrix posted:

Are the KB games even being made by the same developer now?

The Legend: 1C Company developed and published
Armored Princess: Katauri Interactive was the developer
Crossworlds: Katauri Interactive
Warriors of the North: 1C-SoftClub
Warriors of the North Ice and Fire: Revultive Games

... and if it matters...

Legions: Nival

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just got past the Spider boss in my Fire & Ice game.
It's still a massive gently caress-you of a fight, but my all-Elven army got it on the second try (ignore the small spiders if at all possible).

Since I know what's happening next, I went back to that Elven island to restock for the second part of the festival of gently caress you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Nope they are still threads popping up about it on the steam forums daily.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Game was updated.

quote:

1. Fixed dialog with the Owls. Error that allowed adding owls without active quest fixed (requires restart).
2. Error that prevented gaining additional Runes for the creatures’ experience fixed.
3. Hypnotized creatures that received bonuses from Empathy effect no longer gain that bonus after they have returned to their army.
4. Error message while Miners’ attacks fixed.
5. Druids’ description fixed.
6. Scalds get XP for using their talents Paean and Evil Taunt.
7. King’s griffons get XP for using the talent Heavenly Guard.
8. Descriptions for Robbers and Marauders corrected.
9. Steadfast Norse wrongly decreased the duration of some positive effects for players’ creatures
10. Empathy talent duration even after the Mystics exit trance corrected.
11. Corrected misprints in the Armor characteristics for some creatures.
12. Witch Hunters’ talent Magic Block fixed – damage to the squad wasn’t inflicted while using non-combat talents.
13. Some items’ descriptions corrected.
14. Pyromages’ talent Fire Shield now correctely increases fire resistance of the affected squad.
15. Description of Ogre's Rage effect corrected.
16. Fixed incrorrect battlelog message that some squad gain energy instead of Contemplators.
17. Fixed the situation when player was unable to collect some resources in Arlania because of blocked path (restart required).
18. Jarls now gains XP for using the talent Call to Battle.
19. Duplicated talent Sowing of the Thorn-Hunters fixed.
20. The medal Favorite of the Valkyries now correctly increases damage of all rage abilities.
21. Yew bow item now gives correct bonuses to Avengers and Scouts.
22. Corrected additional damage for Contemplators when they accumulated enough energy. Conditions to activate enhanced effects for the talents decreased.
23. Improved pathfinding on the docks in the Ice Gardens.
24. Error that caused game crash during the turn of the AI-controlled Advisors fixed.
25. Effects applied to Celestial Guards are removed correctly.
26. A correct message appears when Snow Falcon trying to use their talent Ice Explosion (and there are no Ice Spikes on the battlefield).
27. Giant Birth scroll will summon Ancient Ents instead of regular ones.
28. It is easier to navigate in upper Demonis now.
29. Quest 'Stone statue' can be completed in a different order now.
30. Additional battle arenas were added to Ice Gardens.
31. 'Monster Hunting' quest corrected (requires restart).
32. Getting medal Favorite of the Valkyries will no longer insantly grant 4th or 5th level of it.
33. Units will no longer erroneously skip a turn after a rage ability activation (for example, Mista's Lightning Ball).
34. Defeating Masks in a certain quest will no longer give player too much gold.
35. An item Chalice of Tears now grants hitpoints bonus to Mystics correctly.
36. Price of Rune Mage bought via item Mysterious Parcel was corrected.
37. Blind Rage medal requirements were lowered.
38. MContemplators and Rune Mages can now target and damage static objects by their abilities Vector and Destruction.
39. Rune Mages and Snow Falcons now receive correct bonuses from valkyre Regina.
40. Rune Mages will no longer receive healing bonus from earned experience.
41. Game crash caused by Catapults’ bomb explosion fixed.
42. Some Ork units have their Adrenalin parameters modifiers corrected.
43. Ogres can use their Throw ability on 5th level creatures now.
44. Simon Danziker dialog corrected (previously the dialog option about Ice Gardens disappeared upon completion of the missing sailor quest).
45. Frosty Stars item now grants defence bonus correctly.
46. Pyromages will no longer play their animation while recieving bonus from Fire Keeper ability after they were killed.
47. Miners will no longer receive additional turn after a successful attack under Drunken effect.
48. Rezo will not have a certain dialog option about Marshan Swamp too early in the game.

In addition, issues with Kamikaze crash and scrolls of the raven are fixed n the base game.

As far as I can tell, only 3* crash bugs (bolded) were fixed.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 22, 2014

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So I'm slowly plodding through the game. Currently in Demonis, going after the Dragon Tear.

I think the problem with the game at the moment is that there are too many good units available. I've got Snow Falcons, Ancient Ents, Rune Mages, Paladins and (now) Demonologists in my army. The Ents are practically artillery at range and bulldozers up close, the Snow Falcons are reasonable almost-dragons, Demonologists = Resurrection, Paladins = Resurrection and Rune Mages = Extra Resurrection.
Granted, they've all got pretty steep Leadership requirements, but there's so much stuff in the game it's usually just a matter of when you'll be able to get them.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Another expandalone coming out soon. It better not be a pump and dump

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WYA posted:

Surely you jest

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

WYA posted:

That's all this series is about now.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The Ice & Fire DLC had another major patch a few days ago. It might be playable now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So the new KB game is called Kings Bounty: Dark Side and it's twist is that you're "Team Evil, fighting to take over the world".
And the dev team appears to be the WotN developers+ new guys. http://steamcommunity.com/app/289520/discussions/0/540743212150920993/
Release Date: May 2014, which seems a little optimistic since today's 5-31-2014.

Was anyone brave enough to steam early-access this game?
I hope this game doesn't go the Ice & Fire/SotS2 "still broken after 1 yr" route.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

Fun so far, if you liked King's Bounty games this is worth a snag. It is nice to play demons/orcs/undead for once.

I cannot help comparing this to Warriors of the North + Ice and Fire......and in comparison the material here (after 4 hours) seems rather thin.

Favorable reviews already

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
How many years now have they been literally re-selling the same game? I was originally going to say re-skinning the same game, but on reflection that's giving them far too much credit.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Early access could work out in their favor. Their internal playtesting is definitely poo poo, so maybe bug reporting from the early access players will do a better job at catching the game breaking bugs in time for the official release.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

^^^^^
right to all the previously mentioned.
the QA teams for the previous Kings Bounty games have been almost "Interplay"-esque.
aka really bad at finding/fixing bugs.

Once a few more reviews appear on steam, I'll feel more comfortable about buying it.
The Team Evil approach is a good change for the series. Hopefully you get to interact with some of the heroes from earlier KB games.
Bill Gilbert as a divorceable husband would be hilarious.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

tuluk posted:

Bill Gilbert as a divorceable husband would be hilarious.

Suddenly very interested. Really hope they are that clever. :v:

I'm also a little more inspired to try and finish WotN.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I really wish I didn't have to fight the urge to pay them money for what will likely be another buggy, poorly-balanced hack job like WotN.

I managed to resist buying Ice and Fire, why am I having so much trouble resisting this? It's like a little voice is whispering "This time it'll be different, it'll definitely be as good as Armored Princess! You can even use demons and undead from the beginning until having to wait till the goddamned endgame!" :smithicide:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
While I dislike the buggy gameplay, I will never dismiss a company that makes the same game with minor improvements every time. It feels like each year there's a new installation of this series, just the same as the last with new things to find. Takes up 20-40 or so hours of my life for a month or so then I move on to other things my strategy RPG fix stated to the fullest. I think AP/Crossworlds with that awesome mod that allowed your stacks to level was the best thing ever, and while WotN didn't live up to it, it wasn't bad although quite a bit more linear.

The fact that this game apparently starts you with the Undead/Demon stuff I never get around to using? gently caress. Yes.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Funny how it seems that demons are out of all the races the easiest to get to help against the undead threat in the end game. Seems a bit weird that you can just waltz up to the demon leader after poo poo starts going down and she just says "Ok! Happy to help!". Meanwhile elves and dwarves need actual effort to get them to help against something that even the demons agree is a threat to everyone.

By the way, there are certain areas in Demonis that are blocked off by this small volcanoish thing, is the way to get there somewhere outside Demonis, or is it linked to the Demonlord Astatoth (or what was his face) in Hades?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well one of you guys needs to bite the bullet and tell us whats up

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I rechecked at steam forums for KB: Dark Side.
Lots of bug postings, 3/4 of the threads are russian language so I can't be certain of the vibe regarding KB: Dark Side.
1 more review popped up...so far it's 4 positive/2 negative.

Gonna keep KB: Dark Side on my wishlight and revisit it in 2 months.
I love the Kings Bounty series, but I still haven't finished WotN vanilla, and have another 20+ games I want to finish.
Worse case KB: Dark Side turns out to be shovelware and can be ignored. Or bought heavily discounted during a Steam Summer/Winter Sales event for morbid fascination play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I got it. I'll give it a few hours and report back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I caved.

Classes are Orc(warrior), Demoness(Paladin), and Vampire(Mage). Of note is that Demoness/Paladin now has the highest leadership growth instead of Orc/Warrior and the Resurrection skill is nowhere in sight. Each character gets their own little intro area that basically boils down to "Comically evil "good guys" kill everyone in your place of residence, you beat up a few groups of patrolling dudes and then run away". Every "race" of troops seems to have their own special abilities now. Elves retain favored enemy, Demons gain Frenzy(stacking atk/def/cooldown reduction that builds up as you deal and take damage), Undead have Necro Energy(dead troops drop Eviln globs for your guys to eat and heal from), Orcs retain Adrenaline, I forgot to check dwarves and humans.

The game looks pretty cheap. Tilesets so far are the same old reused KB stuff and the new troops I've seen so far are just model edits(or in the case of Fire Elementals are simply a fire particle effect). There's no sound when you move around or dig which feels oddly disconcerting. I haven't really gotten into the meat and potatoes of the game yet because the tutorial is overlong and unskippable this time(can't skip the fairly long intro sequence and the "this is how you play KB games" is forced), but so far it looks like Warriors of the North: Evil Races Edition.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yeah, I just basically got out of the tutorial section which takes an hour+ to get past. Going the Vampire route, and seems ok thus far. More of the same as expected. There seems to be a "build you town of evil people" thing going on so that's a bit different. We'll see how much of it is plot and how much of it is actual content though. It would be cool to see corrupted versions of various enemies that become available and lock you out of other choices but I'm guessing it won't be that in depth. The beginning zones were extremely boring and filled with nothing, once I got back to the starter zone to liberate it, it was like "ok here's where the game actually begins."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ouch. thanks to both of the brave-foolish posters who went early-access on KB:Dark Side.
Unskippable tutorial: sounds horrible. The other stuff could be early-access related/russian language content implemented first, etc.

Since Demoness class doesn't have the Resurrection skill, what replacment skill did the devs assign to that class?
Maybe replaced with something like the following skill I thought up in 4 minutes...
Corruption: recruit xxx leadership amount of enemy troops into your army during a turn. Recruited troops over leadership cap level revert back to opponent after 1 player turn

Or is that idea too clever for the devs (like my Bill Gilbert as a divorceable husband idea)?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tuluk posted:

ouch. thanks to both of the brave-foolish posters who went early-access on KB:Dark Side.
Unskippable tutorial: sounds horrible. The other stuff could be early-access related/russian language content implemented first, etc.

Since Demoness class doesn't have the Resurrection skill, what replacment skill did the devs assign to that class?
Maybe replaced with something like the following skill I thought up in 4 minutes...
Corruption: recruit xxx leadership amount of enemy troops into your army during a turn. Recruited troops over leadership cap level revert back to opponent after 1 player turn

Or is that idea too clever for the devs (like my Bill Gilbert as a divorceable husband idea)?

Bill Gilbert is in the game as the "Hero from Another World" who guards the Spirit of Light you're trying to defeat as your ultimate goal. There's three different images of him, one for each class from The Legend.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So I'm a ways into this now and I think this might be my favorite of the games actually. I'm really enjoying this "building your secret shelter of darkness" thing. It was nice getting to use the Vampires and Demons in the early game, and while the islands are smaller than other games I feel like bouncing between them is actually enjoyable for the plot. Things aren't always laid out for you, there are occasional times where there are two ways to accomplish the same task and the way the world is getting (re)built around you is very cool.

There aren't a terribly large amount of bugs, mostly pathfinding issues. I've had 1-2 hard crashes, but saving often is a necessity in these games because the autosaves are only in the castles which are few and far between. The game needs some polish in a lot of areas, but the level design has been pretty good. The Spirit of Darkness(Rage Pet) abilities are so-so, I think my only problem with them is that having one that pushed units around made getting the Trapper award quite a bit easier.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

^^^^ nice.
So what powers/leadership capabilities does each class have?

PaybackJack posted:

there are occasional times where there are two ways to accomplish the same task and the way the world is getting (re)built around you is very cool.
....are you talking about the devs reseting the maps every patch or does the game allow you to reroll worlds/default starting point ala GalCiv series, or is it something else?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

tuluk posted:

....are you talking about the devs reseting the maps every patch or does the game allow you to reroll worlds/default starting point ala GalCiv series, or is it something else?

Quests being multipathed. I had to blow a guy up so I could talk to the Dark Engineer I recruited and buy some explosives or I could talk to my Dark Mage and he'd whip up something using Antimagic Matter than I got from my Dark Scientist.

The game is like all the others in that a large number of dwellings and items are random each game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

PaybackJack posted:

So I'm a ways into this now and I think this might be my favorite of the games actually. I'm really enjoying this "building your secret shelter of darkness" thing. It was nice getting to use the Vampires and Demons in the early game, and while the islands are smaller than other games I feel like bouncing between them is actually enjoyable for the plot. Things aren't always laid out for you, there are occasional times where there are two ways to accomplish the same task and the way the world is getting (re)built around you is very cool.

There aren't a terribly large amount of bugs, mostly pathfinding issues. I've had 1-2 hard crashes, but saving often is a necessity in these games because the autosaves are only in the castles which are few and far between. The game needs some polish in a lot of areas, but the level design has been pretty good. The Spirit of Darkness(Rage Pet) abilities are so-so, I think my only problem with them is that having one that pushed units around made getting the Trapper award quite a bit easier.

Woah, better than Crossworlds? How's the difficulty/pacing?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

WYA posted:

Woah, better than Crossworlds? How's the difficulty/pacing?

Good. The first few islands are laid out a fairly scaled manner but you can bounce between them as you like if you want to push into harder fights. There's a good bit of jumping between islands but usually its for quests not because you are trying to find something that won't slaughter your army.

I haven't seen any bosses except some big army fights and I've unlocked all the islands and cleared all but a couple. Its possible/hopeful that they leave them out. I never liked them as they were always taxing on your army as they were pretty much impossible to do "no loss" and the battles themselves were usually frustrating.

The plot is the most engaging of the series in my opinion and the money -> rune npc is accessible fairly early. I rarely have to kite enemies.

The biggest downside is that the game just isn't finished. There are a few islands that are almost barren of anything and there's a few times where the pathing is broken. Ran into a couple quests that where the log told me one thing but I had to go somewhere else first.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't seen any bosses except some big army fights and I've unlocked all the islands and cleared all but a couple. Its possible/hopeful that they leave them out. I never liked them as they were always taxing on your army as they were pretty much impossible to do "no loss" and the battles themselves were usually frustrating.

Great! I've always hated those awful things. They were mostly the same too. Endlessly respawning stacks of junk, the boss doing the moving around thing, the boss being a damage sponge, the boss being immune to everything except damage, not allowed to use rage (seriously? they could at least have made the boss immune to the rage abilities damage and left you able to use the other stuff or damage the infinite respawns) and so on. They were not fun at all. Just slogs of attrition. :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

boss fights: aren't most of the boss fights reused assets from earlier games anyhow? I swear I've seen & fought that stupid spider boss in every single KB game I've played....only the tactical map was slightly different/boss had slightly more HP everytime.

I am hoping boss fights are left out too. or that rage get enabled for boss minions like Poil mentioned.

• Locked thread