Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Only Shallow posted:

Thanks for sending everyone my Paypal address. BCC is your friend.

Sorry man. I've always done it that way in the past and nobody mentioned having a problem with it, but I'll bcc everyone from now on

Also I'm sorry but I love reading the group buy conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bing the Noize posted:

Also I'm sorry but I love reading the group buy conspiracy theories.

If the mafia made you eat our money just say so.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Bing the Noize posted:

Things I did today

- Mailed the rest of the turbo ED's
- Mailed all but one SD2SNES because I'm one SD card short
- Mailed another batch of GBED's
- Mailed the PS2 mem cards

And now I'm going to start the process of emailing tracking numbers to like 40 different people. If you see your name here then I mailed a thing to you today and will send you a tracking number tonight to your paypal email.

MediumWellDone

You may have missed me, as I have yet to receive an email.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

If the mafia made you eat our money just say so.

the bemani mafia. cross them and they'll break your carpals.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

vkeios posted:

the bemani mafia. cross them and they'll break your carpals.

Awww man if they really exist I'd totally swap running "packages" to "their friends in Mexico" for a IIDX machine

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Awww man if they really exist I'd totally swap running "packages" to "their friends in Mexico" for a IIDX machine

You'd just end up in a meat packing plant getting worked over by two guys named Beat and Groovy.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am about 99% sure that my HDTV refuses to take the output from my SNES. My N64 works perfectly using the exact same cables, so I know it isnt those. I've gotten it to display the splash screen on a few games, and no signal on others. All recently cleaned and all that. I get sound, but for some reason I feel like my TV just won't display that low of a resolution. I can't deal out for something baller status to upscale like the Framemeister, but I was looking at something like this to get me by. Any other ideas that might get some sort of a display?

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

Bing the Noize posted:

Can we do Allen Wren's idea please?

Literally hit send right as you posted this. According to my records everyone who bought a SD2SNES, GBED, and/or TED has a tracking in their email box right now.

Negatory. I have nothing in regards to my GBED.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am about 99% sure that my HDTV refuses to take the output from my SNES. My N64 works perfectly using the exact same cables, so I know it isnt those. I've gotten it to display the splash screen on a few games, and no signal on others. All recently cleaned and all that. I get sound, but for some reason I feel like my TV just won't display that low of a resolution. I can't deal out for something baller status to upscale like the Framemeister, but I was looking at something like this to get me by. Any other ideas that might get some sort of a display?

I was in the same boat as you, but oddily enough, it was my Nintendo that wouldn't display the resolution on my older TV, but the SNES worked fine. I ended up picking up a 4-channel RCA splitter that output through a single HDMI and all devices worked through that, the NES, SNES and GCN. Sadly, I do not own that TV nor that splitter anymore after an upgrade, nor remember where I got the splitter, otherwise I would provide you with a model number. Never owning an N64 in my entire life, I'm not sure if the SNES and N64 share the same resolution.

What you have there may work, but it might be as simple as checking the settings within the TV to see if there is some option that has to be tuned to display lower resolution through non-HDMI components. Have you tried googling your TV + SNES issues?

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

Bing the Noize posted:

Can we do Allen Wren's idea please?

Literally hit send right as you posted this. According to my records everyone who bought a SD2SNES, GBED, and/or TED has a tracking in their email box right now.

Hey, I purchased a GBED and received an email/PM.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Thanks, will email both of you with trackings soon after finding your payments. Sorry for the hassle/derailment.

On topic: HD 2400 is also a good cheap card for arcadey/15hz use

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Oops, sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. Please delete.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, recently I realized I had never actually beaten Super Mario Brothers, I'd only played it on and off as a child who wasn't good enough to beat many games.

So I decided to fix that. How hard could it be, right?

I've spent the last few days pounding away at that game, using save states at the end of the night and constantly using the A+Start trick to go at a single world until I managed to scrape out a victory.

Hell, I spent most of today just working off a savestate to put me at 8-4, and went at it relentlessly.

But I finally, finally, FINALLY loving did it. I beat Super Mario Brothers. Not quite fair and square, but it's beaten, it's behind me, I can relax.

In other news, I got a 27" Trinitron at my local Goodwill. I drat near never go to Goodwill, since they absolutely never have games here. But I was there, looking through old electronics and pricing a 13" TV for a future project, and happened to spot it.

For $15.

I proceeded to grab a VCR, some AV cables from another section, and a dollar VHS tape, and test it out. Fun fact, if you act like what you're doing is totally normal and not insane at all, nobody will call you out on it.

Well, the picture's friggin' GORGEOUS. Like, I was expecting good, but that was amazing. Crisp and clear even over composite, though I could detect the dot-crawl up close.

So now the thing's in the corner of my living room while I try and empty out enough space in my absurd garage to fit a retro area.

Totally worth it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I beat SMB a few years ago for the first time without warp pipes. It's actually really easy going up until world 8 where the game throws a lot of ridiculous one-block jumps and springs at you. The final level itself is an absolute nightmare and being unable to move backwards to gain speed is a major handicap.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking to make my first foray into somewhat retro gaming by grabbing an N64 for old times sake. How much should I be looking to spend on a console in pretty good shape? Although I'm more concerned about the condition of the controller than the system itself, a console that doesn't die within a few months would be great. I've looked all over town for one, but I've come up empty handed. Would eBay be my best option online?

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Space Jam posted:

I'm looking to make my first foray into somewhat retro gaming by grabbing an N64 for old times sake. How much should I be looking to spend on a console in pretty good shape? Although I'm more concerned about the condition of the controller than the system itself, a console that doesn't die within a few months would be great. I've looked all over town for one, but I've come up empty handed. Would eBay be my best option online?

Ebay's your best option, yeah.

I think N64s go for around....20-30 these days? I haven't kept up with that side of the market too much. Big thing, make sure yours has an expansion pack in it. Only a few games use it, but they're some of the best on the system.

Also, what's your TV situation like? Old consoles and new TVs don't like eachother much.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Yalborap posted:

Also, what's your TV situation like? Old consoles and new TVs don't like eachother much.

I was planning on hooking it up to a small cheap Coby flatscreen I keep around for random poo poo, but I could get a CRT tv pretty cheap at a local pawn shop if it doesn't work on that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
In regards to the controller, best of luck. They're all trash and from what this thread has taught me most every replacement for the joystick is even worse.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Space Jam posted:

I was planning on hooking it up to a small cheap Coby flatscreen I keep around for random poo poo, but I could get a CRT tv pretty cheap at a local pawn shop if it doesn't work on that.

Is the Coby standard def or high def? If it's standard def, you'll probably be fine.

The issue isn't that it won't work at all, but that high-def TVs introduce the dreaded input lag. If you're not familiar, it's exactly what it sounds like, a lag between you hitting jump and seeing Mario jump. It's introduced by the processing time needed to put the old-timey image on a high-def screen. Less of an issue in 3D games just because they rarely require the frame-to-frame precision some 2D games can, but worth considering nonetheless.

That said, you can't go too wrong with a little CRT, either. They're great to have around, and go wonderfully next to a computer or on a side-table with an old videogame console hooked to them.

Oh, check your local Craigslist, too. Both for TVs and for N64s. Sometimes you get real lucky.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Bing the Noize posted:

Thanks, will email both of you with trackings soon after finding your payments. Sorry for the hassle/derailment.

Mine wasn't a cash payment but an Arcade Card Dou in exchange for a PS2 men card and a N64 RGB kit. If you haven't got it all together yet, that's okay. I just don't want to be forgotten.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bing the Noize posted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xradeon+4890&_nkw=radeon+4890&_sacat=0&_from=R40

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I used to use one of those old Nvidia 9800's that had native svideo out for my old MAME setup. But I used a trinitron for the monitor instead of a real arcade one, so it was a lot of general cheaty cheating.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
What's the deal with Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus on the Gamecube being high-priced? I ask because I bought it for $20 the other day and apparently it's worth way more than the original release?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mercury Crusader posted:

What's the deal with Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus on the Gamecube being high-priced? I ask because I bought it for $20 the other day and apparently it's worth way more than the original release?

Edit: Derp, that's for the regular not Plus. I think mostly for SCHTHACK play

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I have a dilemma, I ordered a game and while it came MISB and everything, it has the original security box around it from the store that was never removed.

How the hell do you remove one of these things. The box makes note of it's bullet proof capabilities.

No wonder I got it so cheap.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I have a dilemma, I ordered a game and while it came MISB and everything, it has the original security box around it from the store that was never removed.

How the hell do you remove one of these things. The box makes note of it's bullet proof capabilities.

:psyduck:

Pics please.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

JRPG's almost always command a higher price than average. Could be print run size, could be inflation.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I just got Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross at a yard sale for a dollar apiece, but apparently I didn't look closely enough at the disks because I have two copies of disk 3 of FF9 and no disk 4.

Not that I am going to get far enough in that game to need a disk 4, but who does that?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Grapeshot posted:

I just got Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross at a yard sale for a dollar apiece, but apparently I didn't look closely enough at the disks because I have two copies of disk 3 of FF9 and no disk 4.

Not that I am going to get far enough in that game to need a disk 4, but who does that?

IIRC most of the playstation FF games had the same content on each disc, except for the FMV and maybe the audio. I remember you could put the wrong disc in and things would work but incorrect FMVs would be triggered. So you can probably finish the game and watch the missing cutscenes on youtube?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

iastudent posted:

:psyduck:

Pics please.

here

For 30 bucks it wasn't a bad deal since it came with a bunch of other games but I have no idea what retailer could remove this.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm certain you could cut through that with a hacksaw in 30 seconds.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

here

For 30 bucks it wasn't a bad deal since it came with a bunch of other games but I have no idea what retailer could remove this.

Do you have any strong magnets lying around? If you rub one around the latch you might be able to unlock it.

Also that's super sketchy and the seller probably stole it.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

I heard Sony mentioned Vib Ribbon briefly at E3 and it reminded me that I've always wanted to try it. The problem is, how do I play it? It never came out in America apparently. Do I just get a PAL copy? Will that play in my NTSC Playstation?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hahaha congratulations on your shoplifted goods.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

here

On the bright side, you don't have to get the game graded and encased by VGA since it's already encased.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

univbee posted:

Hahaha congratulations on your shoplifted goods.

Maybe it was stolen or maybe they just forgot to remove the case. Because it scares me to think that someone would risk criminal punishment by stealing Sonic Shuffle.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

the wizards beard posted:

IIRC most of the playstation FF games had the same content on each disc, except for the FMV and maybe the audio. I remember you could put the wrong disc in and things would work but incorrect FMVs would be triggered. So you can probably finish the game and watch the missing cutscenes on youtube?

No, you simply can't play the game from the wrong disc. When you load your save, it'll prompt you to insert the one you're currently on, so there's no way to actually get through the game without all of them. (Regardless of how content may overlap.)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Keyboard Kid posted:

No, you simply can't play the game from the wrong disc. When you load your save, it'll prompt you to insert the one you're currently on, so there's no way to actually get through the game without all of them. (Regardless of how content may overlap.)

I have definitely done this with ff7, but I might have swapped discs at some other point other than the "change disc" screen.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

here

You just need a magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fleedar posted:

Also that's super sketchy and the seller probably stole it.

What do you mean "probably"?

Not that The Taint Reaper had any way of knowing before hand and not that he can do anything about it now, of course (beyond leaving negative feedback). I am, however, very amused that the criminal was so lazy that they didn't remove the retailer lock box.

• Locked thread