Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Yeah this is the kind of thing I'd love to see -- is retrieving Benjamin worth endangering your militiamen? Is it even likely he's still alive? Is whatever got him all full of blood for the next moon cycle and won't be back for another month at minimum?
I'm assuming there will be fog of war, given the themes we're working with here, but I guess I could be wrong.

Hell even to add on to that, what would Benjamin be like if you saved him? He's already witnessed unspeakable cosmic horrors and been attacked to an inch within his life, there's no way he's coming back the same Benjamin. Maybe this could be a weird way to give your citizens harmful/helpful/interesting perks, for lack of a better word; everyone is sure to give Benjamin a real wide berth since the last three people that brushed up against him haven't stopped dancing, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can't wait to send my citizens to the alchemist for potions and so forth. Maybe the alchemist will have some mercury on hand. I hear it makes the best stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Hell even to add on to that, what would Benjamin be like if you saved him? He's already witnessed unspeakable cosmic horrors and been attacked to an inch within his life, there's no way he's coming back the same Benjamin. Maybe this could be a weird way to give your citizens harmful/helpful/interesting perks, for lack of a better word; everyone is sure to give Benjamin a real wide berth since the last three people that brushed up against him haven't stopped dancing, for example.

Those little black pyramids he keeps building are also rather disconcerting.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The above image shows a young woman performing a meat-based levitation ritual, perhaps just the first step of a larger meat-raising career. Her teacher looks on and offers advice, but not encouragement.

(I have received permission to post this :))

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Nettle Soup posted:

The above image shows a young woman performing a meat-based levitation ritual, perhaps just the first step of a larger meat-raising career. Her teacher looks on and offers advice, but not encouragement.

Woo meatomancy 1000% confirmed. Start hyping!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The game ends when you reach the pinnacle of meatomancy and discover the cheese-steak. The equivalent of transcendence

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

To me it seems that the first harvest of the newly developed modified cabbage was great success. Well, the levitation is unexpected side effect but what is important is that the meat is delicious and will surely become the staple of frontier cuisine.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

So how much did it cost you guys to license the appearance of noted British celebrity chef Ainsley Harriot anyway?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Goodpancakes posted:

The game ends when you reach the pinnacle of meatomancy and discover the cheese-steak. The equivalent of transcendence

I thought it was when you raise a squadron of delicious Meat-Wing Fighters from the swamps and use them to assault the Meat Star.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hello Sailor posted:

I thought it was when you raise a squadron of delicious Meat-Wing Fighters from the swamps and use them to assault the Meat Star Cabbage Star.

Fixed that for you.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

I thought it was when you raise a squadron of delicious Meat-Wing Fighters from the swamps and use them to assault the Meat Star.

That's no mutton.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Ooh, how about a horror that avoids the camera, but moves super fast. So, you can watch Benjamin go on his hunting trip and keep an eye on him, but if you have to look away (to manage your base or whatever), even if you come back a second later, it's just blood, everywhere.

On second thought, might be an unfun mechanic, but maybe if you make it extremely rare and something you can handle once you know what you're dealing with, it could work I think.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Some sort of camera shy monster would be kind of cool, actually. Probably can't make it murder too fast if you move the camera away. Maybe a creature that freezes in place if the camera lands on it or something?

Or even just having weird "illusions" happen if the madness in your colony reaches a breaking point (think the insanity effects of Don't Starve: shadows gaining eyes, trees that appear to move, etc.)

EDIT: \/ Occasionally if you've got the camera on them, "touched" citizens should look up and STARE INTO YOUR SOUL

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 14, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Things that are aware of the camera would be a pretty interesting mind-screw.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

Things that are aware of the camera would be a pretty interesting mind-screw.

This is a great idea. Have it mixed with the artefact system. The darker your depths the more stuff like this happens. Just goes to show your Overseer is going nuts.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Some sort of camera shy monster would be kind of cool, actually. Probably can't make it murder too fast if you move the camera away. Maybe a creature that freezes in place if the camera lands on it or something?

So basically a Doctor Who Weeping Angel?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Didn't the Sims have lawn gnomes that would do that?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm now envisioning a scenario-game where you could wield off the terrors by building yourself an extravagant house, locking all the doors, barring the windows... Spending more and more on statues to ward off evil...

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Mr Darcy posted:

So basically a Doctor Who Weeping Angel?

Those always freaked me the hell out more than they should have.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Morning posted:

Those always freaked me the hell out more than they should have.

Because they were done really well, especially in their first incarnation. They were all camera tricks.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
OwlFancier
Lprsti99
Dr. Arbitrary
Bernardo Orel

Report to the testing chamber: [my first name].[my last name]@gaslampgames.com !

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Another four of our number given over to the Others. Pity and envy them for they shall never be the same.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Admiral Funk posted:

Another four of our number given over to the Others. Pity and envy them for they shall never be the same.

We must say the words. Brothers, gather tonight and may the shadows protect us.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

We must say the words. Brothers, gather tonight and may the shadows protect us.

The words are, unfortunately, "There's a JIRA ticket for that"

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

Ahh I haven't laid out my circle of salt yet!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nvining posted:

You've seen the dark, meaty horrors I've witnessed :unsmigghh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Email sent! Please tell the nice men standing behind me with brass rifles to go away and stop leaking steam all over my floor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

And occasionally "There's NOW a JIRA ticket for that".

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Email sent. Schedule cleared. Weather is nice, so that's a plus.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Day 37: My nook hasn't been found by the queen-lovers. I am running low on rations and still no word from Lord N'vin Yng, He of The Great Squamous Machines, Praised be His Maple. Why haven't I been raptured yet? I shall see myself deep into the forests and seek his kin. Maybe they shall know which of the stars are the Eyes of A'teb Cecsass. May he protect my soul...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Admiral Funk posted:

The truth is they are truly being sent to the collagen plant.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There is no way to unsee the horrors the we have seen. The blood, the gibs, to dodos. My god... the dodos.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. Email sent. I'm already leaking ectoplasm from my orifices!

nvining
May 30, 2011

More exciting news from the front:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/06/18/modules-interrupts-memory-leaks/

(Dr. Arbitrary, I have yet to hear from you.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nvining posted:

Oh poo poo!

Super excited!!!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So how many of those fixes are feature teases or have I just not been paying attention?

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

I feel like that first shot of the twisted interior is greatly in the spirit of the game, if not the spirit of good gameplay.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

added dev button to spawn a bottle of whisky
I imagine you're needing that one a lot. And in-game, too!

e:

quote:

removed “nuts” and “screws” from workcrew name text list because, although hilarious, we’re not in the business of double entendres
Aww. :(

e2: And of course both those jokes, or ones very like them, are in the tag cloud already.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 18, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

The fact that half the memory leaks were connected to gossiping is kind of hilarious. That and the large block of useless code labeled "FIXME."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

seemingly has something to do with a large block of code labelled “FIXME”, and I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what it does.

The best part of finding these sorts of nuggets is when you go look at who checked it in and find out that you did. At that point it's almost always best to just comment it out and see what breaks.

• Locked thread