Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Meddling means we'd be trying to exploit kings for our benefit. We're not meddling yet.

Imperialist Dog fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I read, post and report using the Awful app. :smugdroid:

Theparker posted:

Also if you like phone posting, and use android, check out the awful app.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Affi posted:

Please don't post in the thread with a phone, reported.
A high percentage of our updates may be written at least in part on a phone...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The horror :(

(Btw hoping Danal turns it down, we should probably keep his genes in Zepath and not spill them anywhere)

Giving this city an infusion of Barkof level might might be cool though! )

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Diogines posted:

A high percentage of our updates may be written at least in part on a phone...

Wow, Mods???

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

With our luck Danal will decide to do this, and fall in love with the girl. Baitel wife plans ruined, or at least overly complicated. I'm assuming there's a 60/40 chance he says no, however.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

hollylolly posted:

With our luck Danal will decide to do this, and fall in love with the girl. Baitel wife plans ruined, or at least overly complicated. I'm assuming there's a 60/40 chance he says no, however.

It would be more of a problem if blooded men weren't expected to have a shitton of wives, but that would still make things a bit more tricky.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

I'd like to remind you that Ishamal didn't even say "don't gently caress around with kings". He said "don't meddle *excessively* with them, and you'll know when you're being excessive because you'll be told to knock it off." So we're fine.

Also, the context of that conversation was Ishamal telling us that we'll eventually grow into freakish levels of power. So in context, I'm pretty sure he was just saying "You will be stronger than Tudiya by far, so you'll be able to put serious pressure on kings one day, but you really shouldn't."

It was Tudiya who told us not to get mixed up with warring kings, and it's *that* advice we disregarded, because y'know, mission from El.

DJ Uriah and Danal can handle this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

King Jehoram has asked for your aid in perhaps an... unexpected way. You tell him "It is for them to decide, not me."

Uriah's face becomes a large grin. Well no. Uriah has been grinning during most of this conversation, so it is more accurate to say his face remains a big grin. He says "Noble King. What you ask for is great, but I shall not shirk in my duty, I shall give it my all."

Danal looks to you for a moment, perhaps hoping you will approve of his decision? He then looks back to King Jehorm and says "I... I do not want any of those things to happen. I want you to have peace, but I can't, I'm sorry."

You remain in Jehoram for four days. It is not a very pleasant place to be, thousands upon thousands of people have died and a few more die each day, you hear many of the yells even distant ones, though less each day. Uriah spends four days in King Jehoram's palace. His Presence has not changed but for days after you almost swear he has a glow about him, he certainly seems pleased, if a little tired.

You, Jobe, Snarls and Uriah depart and make your way towards the next city on your route. You find your Balls waiting for you there, along with all of your goods, Avram and the pilgrims. You feel a sense of palpable relief when you see them and Gareb tells you that "Things went fine on our end. No strange late night visitors, no bandits. How did it go?" Your response will reflect upon what your other Balls will learn of the days events. It will probably filter through them back to Zepath when you get home.

1. You tell Gareb....
A. "It went."
B. "I don't want to talk about it."
C. "There was a battle. I don't want to talk about it."
D. "There was a battle. Many died."
E. "A bloodbath and a stupid waste, Princes and their wars"
F. "It turns out the the Tadmorans were innocent. They won, but many died."
G. "I told the King of Harmath to leave or a great calamity would befall him. He refused. There was a battle and many, many died."
H. G. and also say "...and after, Uriah slept with many of the Kings descendants because they wanted a boost to their Bloodedness. Don't ask him to think about anything complicated for a few more days, I don't think all of the blood has flowed back to his head yet."

I. Something else. Fill in.

Your journey continues.

Each city you pass is larger than the last.

As you approach each, you become aware of the fact that you walk upon land which is owned. You do not know how this is the case or from where this knowledge comes, you simply possess it. Yet the knowledge comes later and later as you approach each city until it comes only as you get close to the walls of the city.

In each city, common men come to look in shock at the minotaur. A number of wealthy men offered to purchase it from you but Avram assured you that you could gain far more for it in Baitel itself.

In each city the men are a little shorter than the last and then... it begins to reverse. Men get a little taller in each city. You left Zepath about six months ago, you moved on from Tadmor about a month and a half ago. You should be in Baitel in about another two and a half months. Each city is larger than the last but the architecture of each city you pass is a little more grand than the last. In each city, their temples are larger and more grand. You are no architect, but you are vaguely aware that to build large buildings, ramps and scaffolding are used, the size of the stones used in some of the construction look too heavy to have been moved by normal men, even with the aid of earthen ramps and scaffolding.

You pass by places famous, places of the Old Tales. Places you have long heard of but perhaps never expected to truly see with your own eyes?

You pass by the ruins of Old Shinar.

You know the story. Long ago, Shinar, one of the grandsons of Labaras gathered together his sons and his grandsons and devoted themselves to build a tower to reach the sky. The tower climbed higher and higher each year. Yet the base was not wide enough and the tower collapsed upon it's own weight. The debris looks like it spread out for miles. The base of the tower still stands, a city nestled within it, your Balls stopped there for the night before you moved on. A strong Presence came from the stones of that place. Shinar is said to have survived but most of his sons died when the tower fell. According to the Old Tale, Shinar and his remaining sons made for Mount Har, weeping all the way, even as they climbed the slopes of the Mountain.

Shinar now seemed a happier place, besides the fact it was inside of a ruin. The city seemed prosperous and it's King did not cheat you on taxes. Marble from the quarries near Shinar is especially beautiful and highly prized. You visit the gallery of Shinar and see in it many statues carved by their kings, statues of shocking beauty which almost look as if they were made of flesh.

As you journey on, you pass over a hill, Avram points far in the distance. "Do you see that, Benevolent Patron? Behold. Where Gamzal once stood." The others in your group squint, it is distant and tough to see at all for a normal man, but you can see it.

You do not feel anything out of the ordinary, not from this distance at least but the place is at least a week away with your caravan, less on foot. It looks like great gashes spread through the ground where the city was smote? Your caravan moves a little swifter to be away from that unlucky place.

Not every place you pass is a ruin, the opposite, each city is more grand the last. You pass through Jericho, famed for it's bustling markets and it's mines. Great seams of gold, copper and tin run through the hills near the city. The city guards actually search your donkeys to ensure you are not smuggling ore from illegal mining but they do not trouble you.

FoxTerrier posted:

Have we seen anything resembling a sanitation system yet for water and waste?

Diogines posted:

In Zepath, waste flows through channels in city streets into the river. Some of the cities you have come upon now have more complicated systems. Jericho has huge stone towers throughout the city and they are linked at the top, like a road high in the air! You found out that water flows through them and brings fresh, clean water into Jericho from distant lakes! Adina and another one of your smiths were amazed by them. You learned they are called aqueducts. Waste does not flow through the city streets in Jericho, you did not really know the details but it all works underground somehow? Jericho, despite being huge, actually smelled a lot better than most of the cities you went through.

You come to Efrat.

Diogines posted:

There is actually a story in the Old Tales of a pious and goodly king who expanded El's temple in his city for many years and then when he lost a war, hid in it. If the story is true, the king's descendants still live there, a city within a city, the city of Efrat, the invaders still rule the city and have sieged the temple for centuries. It is actually one of the cities on your route.

It is said that the Temple of El in Efrat is one of the grandest in the world, perhaps second only to that of the House of El in Baitel. To hide it's beauty, the conquerors built a great wall a hundred and fifty feet high around it, to obscure it from sight and ensure none within escape.

The grounds of the temple extend for a number of acres in the midst of the vast city, none of which can be seen from the outside. It has one gate, El's clergy are allowed in and out but no others. You sense a strong Presence coming from within. Could they truly guard the entire drat wall? You are fairly sneaky...

2. Do you wish to stop in Efrat?
Q. Yes. I want to look around.
R. No more than usual. Buy supplies, move on. I am not interested in stopping here.

As to your supplies? In planning for this trip, you underestimated just how much supplies would cost as you neared Baitel. Food is getting more expensive. Avram has been true to his word and helped you avoid being cheated too much with tolls and taxes. You did not plan to receive much in way of gifts either but you have met well wishers along the way, men of wealth and common men who gave your caravan small gifts. A little food here, sometimes a little silver or a valuable trade good. At this point you are slightly over budget for where you should be at this point but Paebel and your smith-Ball Adina told you not to worry, the caravan should be fine and if you encounter serious trouble you can sell off a few of the offerings early.

A few of the Zepathan pilgrims have the briefest flicker of a Presence, a very weak one, as well as Eleazer. You were not certain when you first noticed and were not certain before, but you are pretty sure you do. One such feeling overpowers all others, one to the northeast, one you walk closer to each day. You are certain you could find your way there, no matter where you were.

Comparing the strength of this feeling between different sources is very difficult unless they are very different. It is not radar, it is not a map, but you feel a pressure upon your brow, which seems to somehow equate with location. If you were forced to try to rank them, you feel Danal the strongest, then your Mighty Sons alongside Paebel, Gaddiel and the two Melachim worshiper Balls, then the rest of your Balls and lastly, a few of the Zepathan pilgrims. Or so you think? Comparing Presences which are not of a greatly different scale is difficult and the gap between Danal and your common Balls is far smaller than the gap between any of your Balls and Aaron. You are not at all confident that you can distinguish between the intensity with which you feel each Presence.

You continue to try the last exercise Ishamal taught you. You can successfully cause dirt to separate from water in a bowl, though a successful effort leaves you weary. Each time you succeeded, [???] was less by a tiny but noticeable amount. It seems to be getting a little easier as time goes on, you still shatter the bowl by accident on occasion.

You considered [???] recently.

You benefit from physical strength equivalent to that of twelve men of a fit build. You have a modest benefit to your overall endurance. You have a modest benefit to your reflexes. Any more than a notable expenditure of [???] will drive you from reason.

I described the things you passed in detail which I thought would be appropriate, mixing your desire to know what is going on and to not read a novel. If you want more information about things you have passed, or your experiences since you left Tadmor, just ask and I will fill them in now.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 14, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
1. You tell Gareb....
E. "A bloodbath and a stupid waste, Princes and their wars"
I. "But hopefully a wise and good king as well."

2. Do you wish to stop in Efrat?
Q. Yes. I want to look around.

Unpopular to stay? Maybe? But I love your worldbuilding and would like to see more of it here.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Survey closed at an even 80 responses. Thanks to everyone who responded!

Even if it was on a phone and you couldn't be assed to tap on all the buttons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

As funny as H is, the king did ask us to keep this on the downlow.
Since we can't get into the temple, and trying to is definitely meddling in the affairs of kings, sticking around seems unwise.

Diog: are there two temples to El in Efrat? The original and one built by the conquerors for the use of their citizens?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
G, R

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

LLSix posted:

Are there two temples to El in Efrat? The original and one built by the conquerors for the use of their citizens?

There are two temples. The invaders built a new one after they conquered the city.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
G Q

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GR

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
G,R

We can stop in Efrat on the return trip, but right now we're already overbudget. Lets make sure things go as expected in Baitel first. Otherwise if something happens, we might find ourselves stranded on the other side of the world from home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1 G

2 R

We have no reason to mess with that temple but curiosity. Our caravan is more important than curiosity. Plus half the young men who pass through the city probably try to get a peek at that temple, I'm sure the city guard keeps an eye on visitors.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. G

2. R

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
EQ

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

G R

Yes it's a cool thing, but no, let's not risk pissing off the priesthood for curiosity's sake when we're on a pilgrimage.

We'll ask the boys in Baitel if we can have a look on the way back, since we've brought a roving Piety Train from across the world.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

1E.
2Q.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How about we send our priest to make a tribute? He should be allowed in.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How about we send our priest to make a tribute? He should be allowed in.
Jobe would probably be allowed in. He is a member of the House of El, albeit an acolyte.

UppaTree posted:

We'll ask the boys in Baitel if we can have a look on the way back, since we've brought a roving Piety Train from across the world.
It is not up to them. It is up to the King of Efrat, who built a wall a hundred and fifty feet and several acres long as a giant gently caress you to his foes hiding within. Well, one of his ancestors.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 14, 2014

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. I:
The city of Tadmor was set upon by petty Kings with little love for El's laws. We told the attacking Kings that for their crimes their victory was forfeit, but they did not obey and sought to avoid El's judgement. For this they were destroyed. The King of Tadmor claims victory now, and seeks to return the region to the ways of El and peace. That is as it should be...for I could tell you of the horrors that occur when men engage in the wanton destruction of 'warfare,' but you would not believe me.

Of all the crimes against El in the world, battle against man for greed and profit is perhaps the worst, and should fill us all with disgust."

May as well give them the full story before they fill in the details incorrectly with rumor and innuendo.

2. Q Send Jobe in for curiosities sake. Maybe they have something cool to trade?

Questions:

As men grow taller again and we reach the innermost cities, do we still hear of serfs and princes?

Do the cities where men begin to grow taller have any version of a manhood trial, or seem 'tougher' in some way?

Did we decide to carry the bones of the old men and the dog to Mt. Har? I swear I've checked and can't find the answer to this. Just curious.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Diogines posted:

Jobe would probably be allowed in. He is a member of the House of El, albeit an acolyte.

It is not up to them. It is up to the King of Efrat, who built a wall a hundred and fifty feet and several acres long as a giant gently caress you to his foes hiding within.

Well, there's nothing to lose by giving a sacrifice to El and I'd like to hear what Jobs has to say about the place.
Since we are stopping for supplies it shouldn't delay us much.

Edit: voting G,Q
Edit2: bolded

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The just heeded El and prevailed. The false were laid low by his wrath. And his sense of humor.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E, R

And Team :spergin: adds for the record:

quote:

meddle (v.)
early 14c., "to mingle, blend, mix," from Old North French medler (Old French mesler, 12c., Modern French mêler) "to mix, mingle, to meddle," from Vulgar Latin *misculare (source of Provençal mesclar, Spanish mezclar, Italian mescolare, meschiare), from Latin miscere "to mix" (see mix (v.)). From late 14c. as "busy oneself, be concerned with, engage in;" also disparagingly "interfere, be officious, make a nuisance of oneself" (the notion is of meddling too much). From mid-14c. to 1700, it also was a euphemism for "have sexual intercourse." Related: Meddled; meddling.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

As men grow taller again and we reach the innermost cities, do we still hear of serfs and princes?
No. After a few weeks, you passed away from cities with surfs. Men here are not as tall as they are in Zepath, but you are no longer a giant among here men. Well actually, you are almost nine feet tall, so yes, your still towering over everyone, but still, not by as much as you had been recently.

FoxTerrier posted:

Do the cities where men begin to grow taller have any version of a manhood trial, or seem 'tougher' in some way?
As far as you know, no. Many of them have rituals associated with becoming a man, but that involves a special offering at El's temple and does not involve doing something dangerous or suicidal to get it.

FoxTerrier posted:

Did we decide to carry the bones of the old men and the dog to Mt. Har? I swear I've checked and can't find the answer to this. Just curious.
Which old men specifically?
You brought the dog bones along. I can't believe you did, but you did.

FoxTerrier posted:

In Zepath, waste flows through channels in city streets into the river. Some of the cities you have come upon now have more complicated systems. Jericho has huge stone towers throughout the city and they are linked at the top, like a road high in the air! You found out that water flows through them and brings fresh, clean water into Jericho from distant lakes! Adina and another one of your smiths were amazed by them. You learned they are called aqueducts. Waste does not flow through the city streets in Jericho, you did not really know the details but it all works underground somehow? Jericho, despite being huge, actually smelled a lot better than most of the cities you went through.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 14, 2014

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Diogenes posted:

In each city, their temples are larger and more grand. You are no architect, but you are vaguely aware that to build large buildings, ramps and scaffolding are used, the size of the stones used in some of the construction look too heavy to have been moved by normal men, even with the aid of earthen ramps and scaffolding.

Huh, wonder how they pulled that off? I mean, Mighty artisans? I guess they can afford to settle down and make big-rear end temples since there are no monsters to stomp.

Diogines posted:

There are also stories of such men building through means which do not seem purely... natural. The phrase "raised up the walls" comes up several times when discussing the founding of cities, the way the phrase is used makes you think they do not mean adding bricks and mortar, but some sort of supernatural feat. Or perhaps not, you are not certain.

Oh, that too.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Let's send in Jobe and his giant doggy companion.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

^^^ Brilliant

Diogines posted:

Which old men specifically?
You brought the dog bones along. I can't believe you did, but you did.

1) Weren't we asked to take the bones of various people's ancestors? Unless I'm recalling wrong, that's what I meant.

Also you should not be surprised at all we took the dog bones. You know how this crew is about canines.

2) We totally need to hire an engineer to put together a water system in Zepath. If not this trip, then next.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I. "We were in the Bone Zone" by which we mean that lots of dudes lost/broke their bones, Snarls and Og ate a lot of bones, and then we boned a lot of women.

Q. Yeah, lets sneak into the temple and defile it by eating a human alive on the altar. Won't that be fun?!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

falcon2424 posted:

Effin' A!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

1) Weren't we asked to take the bones of various people's ancestors? Unless I'm recalling wrong, that's what I meant.
Just wanted to make sure. You had a loss among the old men pilgrims and took their bones too.

You agreed to take some human bones with you from Zepath for re-burial in Baitel. You agreed, but only for those who covered the costs associated with it by buying some extra donkeys. You did take some bones.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
E R Baitel or Bust.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Also, I just caught up to six months of updates.
Diog, you are the best. Never stop.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Also, I just caught up to six months of updates.
Diog, you are the best. Never stop.
Glad you are having fun! :D

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

falcon2424 posted:

Yes, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FoxTerrier posted:

1. I:
The city of Tadmor was set upon by petty Kings with little love for El's laws. We told the attacking Kings that for their crimes their victory was forfeit, but they did not obey and sought to avoid El's judgement. For this they were destroyed. The King of Tadmor claims victory now, and seeks to return the region to the ways of El and peace. That is as it should be...for I could tell you of the horrors that occur when men engage in the wanton destruction of 'warfare,' but you would not believe me.

I like this version.