Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's ultimately going to end up as Goldust's partner?
This poll is closed.
:gerty: Adam Rose :gerty: 30 8.96%
:420: Evan Bourne :420: 29 8.66%
:corsair: Rob Van Dam :corsair: 18 5.37%
:wcc: Vacant :wcc: 40 11.94%
218 65.07%
Total: 335 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

What could fix WWE:

1. Rehire Drew McIntyre
2. More tag teams
3. Push El Torito
4. Women's division betterment
5. Fire Drew McIntyre
6. A game where if you pick what color John Cena is going to wear next you win a shopping spree
7. Rehire Drew McIntyre
8. Fire Drew McIntyre

9. Fire Patrice O'Neal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Vince McMahon is his own glass ceiling

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Daniel Bryan posted:

PWInsider breaks down why the WWE Network is and will continue to be a failure unless Vince completely changes his mindset: http://pwinsider.com/article/86285/...o-read.html?p=1

Why the Attitude Era worked, and why the Network would have easily succeeded then:

What they could do to fix it:

Good points, simple in nature but very true. It's like Vince doesn't want to succeed.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

West007 posted:

Good points, simple in nature but very true. It's like Vince doesn't want to succeed.

Yep. He needs to understand that when it comes to getting people to pay for your product, you have to actually give them what they want. And more importantly, what the adult fan wants. I'm not saying go back to the Attitude era, but this is a problem pushing Cena again won't fix. The problems, as usual, stem from creative, and Vince creating a product for himself and not for his paying customers.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

West007 posted:

The real problem is that he doesn't want anyone other than himself to succeed.

Well, maybe Cena. For over a decade.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yep. He needs to understand that when it comes to getting people to pay for your product, you have to actually give them what they want. And more importantly, what the adult fan wants. I'm not saying go back to the Attitude era, but this is a problem pushing Cena again won't fix. The problems, as usual, stem from creative, and Vince creating a product for himself and not for his paying customers.

This. He lost touch with what fans actually want long ago and doesn't seem to care.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Victoria and/or Mickie James in the HoF is somewhere inbetween Koko B. Ware and Johnny Rodz.

Edit: Is Madusa on the outs with WWE again or something? Why not put in Rhonda Sing? Bull Nakano and Akira Hokuto had championship runs with WWF and WCW respectively so use that as a handwavey reason for putting them in the same way it was basically used for Inoki.

Suben fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 14, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The real problem is that he doesn't want anyone other than himself to succeed.

Well, maybe Cena. For over a decade.

This. He lost touch with what fans actually want long ago and doesn't seem to care.

Yep. The only good thing about it in a way, is that it is going to bite them in the rear end in the long run if they keep doing it this way. But I expect them to kill the Network before they think about changing what actually needs to be changed.

Gusano
Dec 15, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I know they'd never do it, but a SportsCenter-type show that presented highlights from current feds like New Japan and the indies would be great .

The indy guys could compete to see what crazy spot of theirs ended up in the weekly "Top 10" highlight reel.

There is something like that in Mexico. At TVC Deportes they have a weekly lucha show that covers most of the lucha news and highlights of the matches, including indie companies from Mexico, Japan, and only tangentially WWE. They interview wrestlers and have a calendar with the following lucha shows in the week. Its pretty good, and our culture embraces wrestling in a much better way than american audiences.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The sad part about this is once it's sunk in just how poorly they're doing, they're going to make all the big changes we want. They're going to push young talent. They'll build a semi-competent Women's and Tag division. They'll start having consistent, thought out stories written by a Creative who isn't just trying to weasel their way into Vince and Stephanie's good graces and is actually working with the wrestlers to come up with interesting stuff. Championships will mean something. John Cena might loving step down and let someone else have the goddamn spotlight for more than a month or the duration of an injury. The product will be enjoyable and a lot of people will still complain but the overall view of the quality will be good.

And it won't change a loving thing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Alternatively they don't do any of that poo poo, Vince dies the same stubborn old gently caress he's always been, and Triple H makes things marginally better, which will also change nothing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

I know they'd never do it, but a SportsCenter-type show that presented highlights from current feds like New Japan and the indies would be great .

The indy guys could compete to see what crazy spot of theirs ended up in the weekly "Top 10" highlight reel.

Right now WWE Network feels like NFL Network. Everything is biased towards the company's best interest and nothing is objective.

We wanted The Wrestling Network but instead got VinceTV

It's wrestling, nothing should be objective. The modern version of "This Week In Wrestling" isn't going to turn the network around, it's just a needless added expense. It'd be one thing if this suggestion was new or had made a real difference in the past, but you are suggesting an old meaningless idea that means even less today. The number of people who care about non WWE wrestling today is so much lower than when that show existed in the past and it didn't mean a ton then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

For real though let's discuss how the best high flyer WWE has on its main roster is dressed as a tiny bull.

Adrian Neville has really big ears but not big enough to confuse with horns silly.

And yes, NXT is the main roster to me.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

He looks so lost and confused.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Here's what I think. I think that WWE, instead of being bad, should be good, by doing things that are good instead of things that are bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Here's what I think. I think that WWE, instead of being bad, should be good, by doing things that are good instead of things that are bad.

Fire this man, fire him now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

Alternatively they don't do any of that poo poo, Vince dies the same stubborn old gently caress he's always been, and Triple H makes things marginally better, which will also change nothing.

Gonna go with this one out of the two you posted

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

What 2 or 3 things specifically would you like to see them do in the near future?

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Vince, HHH and Steph have a lot of masters, and if you look at it in a certain light, I think its a miracle they are doing as well as they have been. Look at all the masters they serve -

* Stockholders who only care about the bottom line. I'm not sure how Vince has to explain huge losses in value on his stock one day, then how he gives a gently caress about who goes over on Superstars, Truth or Sandow. I wouldn't be able to.

* NBC Universal, who cares about their ratings, and urged WWE to go to three hours. We are coming up on 100 episodes of 3 hour raw, and it has been basically dogshit from a creative point of view. This makes for a huge creative challenge, since you want compelling poo poo on TV, but don't want blow your load before PPV to draw people toward the network.

* Sponsors making calls on what can be shown on the program, and needing the ratings to be high enough to justify their costs.

* The Network numbers are below expectations. How do they fix it? More money dumped into original content? Bigger events on PPV? WCW Thunder episodes being uploaded?

* Talent in their ears. I'm sure there are a fair number of backstage drama queens, and their concerns are pretty valid, considering how the show is booked. Punk walking fits in this category. How much time did it take to re-book Wrestlemania after Punk walked?

* Bringing in former stars for a showcase. Rock, Brock, Batista, RVD, Jericho, etc. Are these guys going to draw the money to make them worth the return on WWE's investment? How do they all get on the same page creatively? Batista coming back was a poo poo show, I'm sure this took some serious massaging to make it right. Then, by the time Batista becomes a useful part of the show, he is gone again.

* Booking problems that are of their own doing. You can't right the ship in a day, so I'd imagine that it's easy to go back to basics, and book what you know. More Cena and Orton.

I think this is why NXT rules so much. Nearly all of this poo poo is pushed to the side, and they just book a wrestling show.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

EugeneJ posted:

Everything is biased towards the company's best interest and nothing is objective.

No poo poo, did you expect different?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/TheDrewMcIntyre/following

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He'd fit in with Steel Panther.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
TriMoon put up an awesome JTG compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFtM1rv373s

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

mkay0 posted:

We are coming up on 100 episodes of 3 hour raw, and it has been basically dogshit from a creative point of view. This makes for a huge creative challenge
Disagree.

They have tons of wrestlers and tons of time. It's only a creative challenge because they care about roughly 5 people at a time and if one of those 5 is a heel, they'll be built to challenge Cena then forgotten when Cena wins. It doesn't have to be that way. They could employ a legitimate writers room. They could have a crew that works with the mid card, with the lower card, with the poo poo titles nobody likes, etc. It's never a creative challenge when you have seemingly unlimited resources.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

I too am disappointed he follows HistoryInPics.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Let me know when he starts following Jeff and Karen Jarrett.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Daniel Bryan posted:

PWInsider breaks down why the WWE Network is and will continue to be a failure unless Vince completely changes his mindset: http://pwinsider.com/article/86285/...o-read.html?p=1

Why the Attitude Era worked, and why the Network would have easily succeeded then:

What they could do to fix it:

To expand on this, the WWE is in the shape it's in because the Attitude era was a fluke and the top part of the company doesn't understand why it worked in the first place.

Look at how WWE revisionist history treats the Attitude era in general. It's always that it was a moment in time where the stars aligned and they were in the right place at the right time. There's no mention of things growing horribly stale/cartoony/stupid under Vince's leadership or how they were really forced to commit to building new stars because all their main event talent was poached or how they were forced to take their attitude from a wrestling style that was growing in popularity way before they ever committed to it. No, South Park started the wave in pop culture and the WWE rode it.

Same thing with Stone Cold. Everybody got behind him because he was the every man sticking it to his boss. Which is...no. Everybody got behind Stone Cold because he was a charismatic psychopath. He was the guy that did the things that normal people think about but stop themselves from doing. That was new. The McMahon storyline helped catapult it because it was an excuse to do more outrageous things weekly but that quickly became old when they started rehashing things that worked.

Extreme things were cool, and they definitely helped a preteen me get interested again, but the Attitude era was like a breath of fresh air in the WWE. There were different characters that were closer to a talent's personality, there were different stories from McMahon coming out as the owner (a big jump away from an authority figure like Jack Tunney) to weird satanic poo poo with the Undertaker, and they weren't afraid to quickly react.

Things feel so stale now. Cena's been superman for over a decade, HHH/Stephanie are back to running the show, everything's tightly scripted/stilted, a whole generation of promising talent has been misused and there's a good chance it's happening again. Bryan finally gets anointed and his next fued is with Kane? The Shield breaks up but it isn't because one of the wrestlers wants to break out on their own like every other stable breakup, it's because the cerebral king of kings asskicker HHH always wins. The Wyatt Family is one of the most interesting thing in years and they pair them up with the perpetual heatsuck John Cena.

They shouldn't book around the fans but they should at least be able to realize the effects of what they book. Cesaro bodyslams the Big Show over the top rope to win a battle royal, and he's suppose to be the bad guy? Batista shows up out of the blue, says he's going to win the rumble, acts like a tool during his Rumble promo and he's suppose to be the good guy? These are story 101 errors.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Lisa Ann. :wink:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I also believe JR was a talent rep at the time and had a hand in finding and signing guys like Brock and Austin and Rock...I think. He's another one like Kreski who excelled at his job and was humiliated constantly. Vince and Steph are, like, children poking fun at those who do well for their company because they're insecure about it. Hunter, I dunno, he loves wrestling dearly and I have to think from a management side and even for the workers side as a boss will treat it with respect. He's really in the best position to do something about it after Vince.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Valeyard posted:

What 2 or 3 things specifically would you like to see them do in the near future?

WWE would probably put out a better product if HHH picked up a shotgun, welded a shovel to the front as a bayonet, and proceeded to both fire and bury most of the non-wrestlers who work for and/or own the company, since that's where a decent chunk of the problems seem to be stemming from.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

WWE would probably put out a better product if HHH picked up a shotgun, welded a shovel to the front as a bayonet, and proceeded to both fire and bury most of the non-wrestlers who work for and/or own the company, since that's where a decent chunk of the problems seem to be stemming from.

He's staffing his departments with non wrestling people so good luck with that.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
In a way though, that's not the worst thing. Wrestling being run more like a business instead of by the seat of its proverbial pants might improve stability in some respects.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I've always felt like things aren't going to improve massively with HHH in charge. The main noticeable improvement should be a more talented roster but who knows what kind of guys HHH is going to want to push

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

HHH picked up a shotgun, welded a shovel to the front as a bayonet

Turn that into a WWE Studios film and it will solve any financial woes!!!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Valeyard posted:

Turn that into a WWE Studios film and it will solve any financial woes!!!

Hunter With A Shotgun. Bookfilm it, WWE!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Shima Honnou posted:

Hunter With A Shotgun. Bookfilm it, WWE!

Finally, this is what will get the Mean Street Posse back in our lives.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

what makes people think that WWE wants to be successful?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

omgomgomg posted:

Vince hasn't tanked the company yet, mostly. I have a suspicion he wants to, but not until he knows he's dying.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

omgomgomg posted:

Vince enjoys money and things that produ--*XFL logo*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
To people who have an issue with the current product should listen to Steve Austin's recent podcast with JR. If I recall correctly, Jim said that if he were to run the WWE he would condense the writing staff and rotate the booking committee per 6 months, make commentary tell a story to aid the viewers with the matches and feuds, give a greater role for the referee and specifically tell them to give the heel more time to attack the face, and have the heels do more heelish things to cheat to win while having the faces outsmarting the heels. A lot of minor things that can help the WWE a lot with their product which they would never do.

To anyone having a problem with the current product, I would also recommend watching NXT. It's fantastic and a product that TNA should have been. It's a raw wrestling show with a lot of good characters and storylines. And the plus side, its only an hour long. Just avoid the spoilers and enjoy wrestling. You are guaranteed one Honorable Mentioned wrestling match every week. To be honest, I wish Triple H would just make NXT his own federation separate from the WWE but that will NEVER happen.

• Locked thread