Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013
There is no Karnov's Revenge room on ggpo anymore. 3s players wouldn't go back to the 3s room when it was added back they thought it was a trick to get them banned. So Ponder had to remove Karnov. I could tell you guys how the room got added back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mio Bison posted:

Pro tip, nobody in the Karnov's Revenge lobby on GGPO is playing Karnov's. Supercade has 3S too, I doubt it has half as many people looking for matches but I prefer Supercade to GGPO in general.

gently caress you I am

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

AkumaHokoru posted:

gently caress you I am

Probably not because the karnovs room was removed

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Where will Karnov stay now. That dude doesn't have the money for a house

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Zand posted:

Probably not because the karnovs room was removed

as I noticed only today despite being in the jojo room

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

That is normal. Keep at it.

One day I'll stop trying to quarter circle by jamming the stick in the corner.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

One day I'll stop trying to quarter circle by jamming the stick in the corner.

just get an octagonal/circle gate!
DONT

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hori released a new PS3/PS4 pad, the Fighting Commander 4.

They're on sale on Ebay for 70 bucks+ 14 bucks shipping, in case anyone is looking for a ps3/ps4 pad.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

just get an octagonal/circle gate!
DONT

i bought an octogonal gate but havent installed it yet, whars wrong with them?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

a cat youtube posted:

It's the mark of a scrub.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cat youtube posted:

Square gates are the worldwide standard now. You wont be able to play in arcades if you learn on octagonal. You wont be able to let anyone borrow your stick or borrow one yourself.

Octagonal gates have a shorter throw distance on the corners compared to square which has the same throw distance in every direction.
They encourage riding the gate which is a bad habit causing inputs to be slightly slower and a lot sloppier.

It may feel right at the start, but those are concrete reasons why its a bad idea. If you are starting from scratch you should learn the right way and give yourself every advantage possible

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 14, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Hori released a new PS3/PS4 pad, the Fighting Commander 4.

They're on sale on Ebay for 70 bucks+ 14 bucks shipping, in case anyone is looking for a ps3/ps4 pad.

My FC3 wore out after 5-6 months or so, everyone should get a stick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

a cat youtube posted:

Elitists like to poo poo on people who use them but in reality there isn't anything wrong with them. You build your stick for how you play not how people want you to play. A stick is an extremely specialized piece of equipment and Octo-Gates have both upsides and downsides but there is no reason to hate them. I have a nicer stick than anyone posting in this thread and it has a loving octo in it, if you don't ride the gate then there is really no difference between it and a square (although it's easier to mash out a crouching DP on a square gate IMHO). And if you take it far enough you can actually counter the downsides of riding the gate (if that's a thing you want to do) but changing out the actuator on the stick for a larger one.

I play on a really wide range of sticks with a lot of different throws and gates (circle for Tekken, traditional American setup for MK, Square with stiff springs for Neo Geo games, etc) and my skills carry across all of them, if you train on a square gate and you cant use a octo you're just bad at videogames. People put too much stake into what everyone else is using and not enough into what feels right for them, just go back to the early 00's or so and most forums/communities were making GBS threads on anyone who used Japanese sticks. When I first started modding and importing arcade stick parts the competitive standard were sticks made by a company called MAS (hell, original MAS sticks still go for a lot even in bad shape) which used HAPP/iL Joysticks and Happ Buttons with the straight six layout and now anyone who showed up with a stick like that to a major event would be looked at quizzically at best.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I really miss my dualshock 2. It was really serviceable back in the day when i didn't wanna bring a stick and just wanted to play anime/cvs2 casuals. It lasted quite a long time too.

Also RIP the Agetec dreamcast arcade stick while we're talking about old stock hardware.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Also RIP the Agetec dreamcast arcade stick while we're talking about old stock hardware.

Also Rip the Capcom Pad Soldier for SNES.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

a cat youtube posted:

I'm one of those people who says play with what you're comfortable with, but these diagrams do have something to say:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I play on a really wide range of sticks with a lot of different throws and gates (circle for Tekken

Are you loving insane

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fauxtool posted:

Octagonal gates have a shorter throw distance on the corners compared to square which has the same throw distance in every direction.

Isn't the opposite true? Octo gates have the same throw distance in every direction, not square.

I've used both, but for what it's worth I think charge characters are harder to play with an octo gate. I absolutely cannot do Balrog's headbutt into Ultra on an octo gate because moving from down back to up back feels too clunky.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

inthesto posted:

Are you loving insane

I've heard circle is more common among tekken players, probably for wave dashing or you know all that weird poo poo that also makes hitboxes crazy good.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I've heard circle is more common among tekken players, probably for wave dashing or you know all that weird poo poo that also makes hitboxes crazy good.

I use a Kstick for Tekken and it's actually gateless. I'd use it for other games but it's just so stiff it's hard to be really accurate with complex inputs.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

My FC3 wore out after 5-6 months or so, everyone should get a stick.

Same. It's a giant turd of a gamepad. Can't get over that there are players who had their FC3s dual-modded, even :wtc:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

inthesto posted:

Are you loving insane

El Estrago Bandito is without a doubt one of the least knowledgeable and most uncool posters in this thread, how could information like this be surprising to you?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Zand posted:

El Estrago Bandito is without a doubt one of the least knowledgeable and most uncool posters in this thread, how could information like this be surprising to you?

Yeah but I bet his Octo-Gate Stick is nicer than anything you own.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Another reason people new to sticks tend to want octo-gates is because they think it's closer to acting like the Neo Geo cab at the 7-11 they vaguely remember touching when they were 6. It's not, they had no idea what they were doing anyway, and if you haven't touched a stick since World Warrior then you have no muscle memory to pretend to adhere to anyway. Just learn to use the stick you have.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

I have a nicer stick than anyone posting in this thread
My OEM joystick parts can beat up your identical OEM joystick parts.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So MadCatz is running a deal where you can get either the Fightstick Pro or the Arcade Fightstick KE for $80 with free shipping. Are either recommended for a scrub? The 360/PS3 sticks work on PC, right? I play my poo poo on a PC, but I play a lot of fighters on my buddy's PS3, so I'd probably pick up the PS3 one.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
I thought this was a safe space...

Guys we are all part of the same community, with a truly profound and highly developed culture spanning decades, we should love one another and embrace each others' differences and never make someone feel bad for being who they are. We are each other's brothers and sisters, moms and dads, 3rd and 4th cousins twice removed. We are the fgc--

Wait, what did that guy say about octo gates? What a fu

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Stan Taylor posted:

So MadCatz is running a deal where you can get either the Fightstick Pro or the Arcade Fightstick KE for $80 with free shipping. Are either recommended for a scrub?

It's a good stick, especially at that price. If you're a beginner, you probably want the Pro.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bovineicide posted:

Same. It's a giant turd of a gamepad. Can't get over that there are players who had their FC3s dual-modded, even :wtc:

My first one broke down after a year and a half but it was my fault (stepped on it), my second one is showing signs of wear and tear in the O button but it still works fine, one year of usage too. So I guess :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dias posted:

My first one broke down after a year and a half but it was my fault (stepped on it), my second one is showing signs of wear and tear in the O button but it still works fine, one year of usage too. So I guess :shrug:

It is $70 though, my TE has lasted 5 years and you can get those for only a little more(I did get put a PS360+ in there recently).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jeffrey posted:

It is $70 though, my TE has lasted 5 years and you can get those for only a little more(I did get put a PS360+ in there recently).

Eh, fair point. Between personal preference and the pricing where I live, it's not a bad deal (and I actually like the pad itself), but if you can just get a stick it makes more sense to do so.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want a pad, just get a Sega Saturn USB. Best Dpad in the world and Nintendo durable as well. They also cost like nothing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcxZZ20Omc

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: oh hes doing html5 youtube fuckery

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Elitists like to poo poo on people who use them but I have a nicer stick than anyone posting in this thread and you're just bad at videogames.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I was just using my stick as an example of the fact that you should buy what makes you happy and not give a gently caress about what other people think no matter how "hardcore" they are. Mostly I was using it as an example that not all people who are super into sticks and stick building believe in the superiority of the square gate JLF and eight button Sega layout setup. Your stick should be 100% built for how you want to play the game, not how some random group of people have decided. This is why I advocate people actually build their own sticks, judge different parts and make decisions based on first hand opinions. I was a big Neo Geo person, that's why I tend to favor sticks like the LS32 over softer less gear shifty stuff like the JLF/LS58. My nice stick I got because it looks pretty, I always wanted to own it and I wanted a dual mod stick, I fully realize that it has like ~75 dollars worth of easily available parts in it but that's not what I paid for.

I use a circle gate for Tekken because I learned how to play it on a DualShock and I have trouble controlling the game on a square gate stick. I still cant play Soul Calibur on a stick worth poo poo because I spent like six years playing it on a pad and it's really hard to even think about how the game would work on a stick in my broken rear end brain.

Is it just me or did they really change the body proportions from earlier GG's?

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 15, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let see some pictures of your nice stick. Its either going to be the same stick a lot of us have or going to tell us you are an idiot.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Most people starting out have no preferences because they haven't used a stick except maybe when they were a kid in the arcade playing mortal kombat. If you have no preference, there's a lot of advantage when it comes to using what 98% of people are playing with.

If the most standard setup works for as many people as it does, it's probably something you can just take as is and not have to sperg out on. If you like building sticks and sperging out about springs and gates more than actually playing fgs, then enjoy yourself with that.

If you just want to play a game, you'll have more fun and less frustration using a square gate and never again thinking about your stick unless it happens to break.

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

let see some pictures of your nice stick. Its either going to be the same stick a lot of us have or going to tell us you are an idiot.

But what if it's a body pillow?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Is it just me or did they really change the body proportions from earlier GG's?

all the characters are wider, yes. it seems like when they stretched the game out to hd, all the characters got stretched with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, I'm all for "don't be the fun police" but square gates are factually superior to octagon and recommending the latter over the former is a good way to frustrate new people because they'll have a poo poo time getting diagonals to register.

• Locked thread