Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The $999 Vizio 4K models looked promising at CES but last I checked their shipping dates slipped to "later this year" which probably means they're just hoping to not miss the holiday season.

Is there even going to be cable-TV 4k any time soon? When I can watch sports in 4K, it'll be worth it...

Is anyone other than satellite even doing 1080p? I thought all the US cable stuff pretty much maxed out at 1080i still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No US sat provider is doing 1080p for anything other than ondemand downloaded over the internet.

There's not going to be 4k for any cable/sat provider anytime in the near future.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wa27 posted:

I just got a Vizio e480i-b2 and it's extremely unresponsive to remote functions. Like arrowing up and down in menus, adjusting volume, and changing inputs. I know smart tvs have notoriously lovely interfaces but shouldn't it be able to do basic functions without hitching?

Using different remotes doesn't help and nothing is blocking the sensor.

We have the same tv and the remote basically has to be pointed directly at the lower left of the tv and no more than like 4 feet away for it to work. loving terrible.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
If I were to wait for the Vizio 4K TV, how future-proofed would it even be? Would it even be able to play 4K content 5 years from now, or would there be some sort of bullshit standards or formatting issue that causes the content to not work? (I know nothing about blu-ray or 4k standards clearly, I just know there's several players in the 4k game similar to blu-ray and I don't want to end up with the HD-DVD of TVs, if thats even possible)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest things to worry about are:

HDMI spec
Native h265 codec (otherwise known as HEVC) support

The former is necessary to be compatible with 4k peripherals moving forward and the later is necessary for 4k streaming services. I think MOST 2014 TVs should be safe as far as the HDMI spec goes. HDMI 2.0 was released in September so the new models should work with that spec.

The later one is the reason why the 2013 UHD models are left out of the Netflix 4k streaming party. UHD (at least streaming) is going to be h265 and there didn't exist SoCs in products that could decode it until this year.

Now, if you have the former and not the later, you should be able to buy some sort of media streamer that supports 4k and just connect via HDMI.

However, all the current UHD TVs are based around Rec 709 which is an HD standard. If you really want to future proof, you should have a Rec 2020 display, but none are on the market yet and likely won't be for awhile. Content will still work just fine, but your TV will be built around a different set of standards than the content being fed to it (color space, chroma sampling, bit depth).

All this is really academic though due to the utter (and continual) lack of true 4k content.

I would take a 1080p OLED TV any day of the week over an LCD 4k set.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Here's a general rule of thumb for 2014.

There's no such thing as a high end 1080p LCD. All the manufacturers moved their high end tech to 4k models.

Panasonic LCDs have traditionally been terrible. They are talking a big game on their AX800 4k model which actually does seem to have impressive performance, though possibly not as good as their claims. I see that the AS800 has an IPS panel so it's viewing angles might be slightly better than normal, but black levels are likely going to be really lacking even for an LCD.

Any recommendations for a really good 55" 1080p TV then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cosmo321 posted:

Any recommendations for a really good 55" 1080p TV then?

I'm assuming since you were considering the AS800 that you are in the European market? I don't think that TV is available in North America yet. I'm honestly not sure what's available over there or what's a good price range.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I'm assuming since you were considering the AS800 that you are in the European market? I don't think that TV is available in North America yet. I'm honestly not sure what's available over there or what's a good price range.

Yeah, Europe is right. It is just released here, which is why I was looking into it. Thanks anyway!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
After missing out on a 65" then 60" Samsung 6350 series TV, I watched Slick deals like a hawk and picked up a 55" 6350 for $820 after tax and 5% discount. I also won the panel lottery and got the nice Samsung panel.

Everything has been awesome so far outside of the remote. I need to figure out what to do about sound, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Rtings reviews worth a drat? Looking at some TV's and they look pretty thorough on some things I care about (input lag, viewing angles, etc)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Phone posted:

After missing out on a 65" then 60" Samsung 6350 series TV, I watched Slick deals like a hawk and picked up a 55" 6350 for $820 after tax and 5% discount. I also won the panel lottery and got the nice Samsung panel.

Everything has been awesome so far outside of the remote. I need to figure out what to do about sound, though.

How do you tell what panel you have?

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

motherbox posted:

If I'm looking for a TV primarily for gaming and streaming with an upper price limit of $1000, can I do any better than this one? I could maybe sneak up another $50 or $100 bucks, but that'd be pushing it, and the value here seems really good. I'm just afraid of the soap opera effect, and wouldn't mind spending a bit more to have the option to toggle it off. Would it be particularly noticeable if I'm watching TV shows through Netflix or HBO Go?

The e550i-B2 is only 60hz with backlight scanning. It lacks any proper video processing features beyond that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leidend posted:

How do you tell what panel you have?

Look at the Version on the back of the box. There's a 4 character code, and someone has a table somewhere. Mine's TH01 and it means that Samsung made the panel.

This is from last year on avsforums:

quote:

The most desirable current Samsung panel codes are:

TS01
TS02
TH01
TH02

These are all Samsung S-PVA panels.

How to check for panel code:
For newer models, you should be able to identify it by the "Version:" near the UPC.

This should be located in the same white square as the model information, S/N, and UPC.

An example would be...
Version: TH01

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Are the Samsung F8000s worth the price? I'm looking at picking up this UN55F8000. Will mostly be used for watching sports and movies along with a bit of PS4

Shapur fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 11, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I had this panel as one of my choices and have been tracking it on the camel. It's been dropping in price ~$50 almost every week now. It was 1699.99 a week ago. Set an alert if you really want it, I suspect more price drops will happen soon.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/product/B00BCGRLUI?active=price_amazon&context=home_alerts

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Shapur posted:

Are the Samsung F8000s worth the price? I'm looking at picking up this UN55F8000. Will mostly be used for watching sports and movies along with a bit of PS4

I love mine. Don't play video games but sports look amazing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Phone posted:

Look at the Version on the back of the box. There's a 4 character code, and someone has a table somewhere. Mine's TH01 and it means that Samsung made the panel.

This is from last year on avsforums:

TH01, phew, now I can not worry about something I didn't even know about when I bought the TV.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My Samsung plasma took a dump so I'm looking to replace it; I have a PS3 and Apple TV so I don't need anything fancy in terms of Smart TV apps or anything like that. It looks like it's starting to become harder and harder to avoid these options in newer sets.

What is the verdict on Sony LED TVs? I'm thinking this would fit the bill for my needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL48W600B-48-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00HPMCNXI

I watched the review from rtings and it looks to be a very solid set for the price and size. Is the score from rtings worth a drat? (http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w600b)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm looking at getting a 70-80" TV. I can go up to about $4,000 potentially. The only 4K TV in that range is the Sharp (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECOVVWQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AVFDL67NPY1X&coliid=I6X42ICH7V8T3) and it looks like the quality may not be that great. I honestly don't think I really am likely to have many 4k sources either. My Onkyo TX-NR709 appears to be able to do 4k upscaling, but I'm not sure how excited I'm going to be about that sitting between 8-10 feet away. I also need decent off-axis viewing since due to the layout of the room, people may be sitting somewhat to the side. I think that's less of a thing these days than it was 5 years ago.

What would be a great 1080p TV? It's going to be used for video games, sports, and movies primarily. I don't get Satellite or Cable, so just OTA for TV. I'm looking at the Samsung F8000 but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend. I went to a best buy and took a look around, but it's loving impossible to tell the difference on anything, and there's like umpteen models in the same size bracket from each manufacturer. Lower than $4,000 is better, but I'm willing to go up to that if the quality is significantly better.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
For those of you buying a TV for a new home (which I just did), be sure to check out the coupons USPS offers when you change your address. I just received that 10% off new home owner coupon for Best Buy and I'm using it to swap out my Aquos Q+ 60" for a 70" for $300 more after tax! Good thing I checked that coupon out within the return period for the 60...

Trip report on the Q+ 60" is that I found it to be a really fantastic set with a great picture. I think it will serve as the perfect bridge between 1080p and true 4K. You can calibrate around it but be aware that these TVs naturally add in more blue into the picture. I personally like it but I know that some people hate that. It uses some type of processing to have better blacks than it should - noticeable if you turn all of the processing stuff off.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 13, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

For those of you buying a TV for a new home (which I just did), be sure to check out the coupons USPS offers when you change your address. I just received that 10% off new home owner coupon for Best Buy and I'm using it to swap out my Aquos Q+ 60" for a 70" for $300 more after tax! Good thing I checked that coupon out within the return period for the 60...

How long does it take to get that coupon?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I registered online and got the coupon printed within minutes! Just change your mailing address with USPS online. Keep in mind that the coupon has a link to where, in fine print, it states "not compatible with premium TVs from <insert every decent brand name here>". However, I went into my local Best Buy personally and asked about the model I was looking at and it was accepted with no problem. My guess is that they are talking about the Magnolia series.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 13, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I registered online and got the coupon printed within minutes! Just change your mailing address with USPS online. Keep in mind that the coupon has a link to where, in fine print, it states "not compatible with premium TVs from <insert every decent brand name here>". However, I went into my local Best Buy personally and asked about the model I was looking at and it was accepted with no problem. My guess is that they are talking about the Magnolia series.

Interesting. We close on July 9 but I might buy a TV sooner - 10% would get the F8000 probably just below what I'm considering a limit, and it seems that's probably the best 1080p you can buy. I'm not convinced that 4k is ready yet, or that I'll get much of a benefit sitting at 10 feet anyways with a 75" screen. I will have to try that for sure, thanks! I will say if anyone has suggestions for 70-80" TVs that are comparably good, let me know!

Edit: drat, the F8000 is a "magnolia" one so I dunno if they'll take it for that.

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 13, 2014

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Agreed. I haven't been convinced that there will be a crazy difference at the distance I'll be viewing from and the wait for a great variety of 4K content is going to be literally years (remember the horrible blu ray releases?). With the Q+'s fauxk I'll at least be able to play that stuff whenever it comes out. I am only guessing on the Magnolia but from my reading those TVs tend to be special BB exclusive offerings where they can't negotiate on price like they would with a "regular" TV. For example, the Q+ Magnolia has a different bezel, a crappy little sub woofer and is like $500 more because they aren't allowed to come down on price. Just show them the coupon and ask - the guy at my store put the SKU in and scanned the coupon to verify it would work. Damned if I am hauling a 60" all the way back for nothing. Making the trip tonight!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 13, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Agreed. I haven't been convinced that there will be a crazy difference at the distance I'll be viewing from and the wait for a great variety of 4K content is going to be literally years (remember the horrible blu ray releases?). With the Q+'s fauxk I'll at least be able to play that stuff whenever it comes out. I am only guessing on the Magnolia but from my reading those TVs tend to be special BB exclusive offerings where they can't negotiate on price like they would with a "regular" TV. For example, the Q+ Magnolia has a different bezel, a crappy little sub woofer and is like $500 more because they aren't allowed to come down on price. Just show them the coupon and ask - the guy at my store put the SKU in and scanned the coupon to verify it would work. Damned if I am hauling a 60" all the way back for nothing. Making the trip tonight!

I may be looking at the same TV as you actually. Although I might consider an 80" if it's a reasonable option. When I stopped and looked the other day, the salesguy was trying to talk me into one of the Sharps and he said a big selling point for it would be the ability to handle a 4k signal. Guess we'll see what they have in the store if I go today.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

shortspecialbus posted:

How long does it take to get that coupon?

Instantly after you change your address. It is a PDF.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Instantly after you change your address. It is a PDF.

Yep - just filed and got it printed out. I'll probably head over to Best Buy this evening to take a look. Anyone know if they do price-matching with themselves? Like, if I buy it now and it goes cheaper in the next 30 days, will they refund the difference?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You may want to try e-bates too. I know if I go there, then buy something from Target's website I get 2.5% back. Which is how I'm probably going to buy the $699 Vizio I've been eying. Free shipping too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

shortspecialbus posted:

Yep - just filed and got it printed out. I'll probably head over to Best Buy this evening to take a look. Anyone know if they do price-matching with themselves? Like, if I buy it now and it goes cheaper in the next 30 days, will they refund the difference?

Yes, Best Buy offers that, and I've never had any problems using it.

A couple of their Q+ tvs on are sale today as "daily deals":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/dotd-20140613

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Well I was dumb

So in total I got a 24" vizeo, an HDMI cable, a 38$ hdmi-spidf converter, and the ZVOX 220 sound base

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Hooked it all up and it did not work. HDMI to the splitter, selected Pass, 2CH and 5.1, turned off and on, checked optical to the ZVOX

I am pretty bummed. I guess its something to do with HDMI fuckery, or the fact I just found out the ZVOX soundbase does not actually have a dolby decoder. Only the analog RCA to red/white works

Basket of Kittens fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Yes, Best Buy offers that, and I've never had any problems using it.

A couple of their Q+ tvs on are sale today as "daily deals":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/dotd-20140613

Yep, I ended up getting this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-a...0inch&cp=1&lp=6

The coupon was valid on it, which saved me another $300 off the $600 it was already discounted. I may have been able to get it somewhere else, but meh. The coupon also gave me $100 off of the stupid 5 year protection plan that I ended up getting. I usually don't, but whatever, it was $500. I probably won't regret it, right?

Thanks for the advice on that coupon - that was extremely useful! They were even able to schedule the free delivery for after my closing, so it'll come sometime on July 10. :toot:

Edit: The coupon would not have been good for the 75" F8000.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Personally, I wouldn't have sprung for the magnolia due to the slight differences with the version that sells for $2299.99. Afaik they are exactly the same excepting the 12,000,000 vs 8,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio and different model stands. The Magnolia is THX certified but I am sure you have a 5.1 surround system, right? I hate to say it but that's my weigh-in! That cash will get you a bad rear end new sub-woofer or something. In my own news - after schlepping the 60" to Best Buy and picking up the 70", then carrying the 70" up three flights of stairs with a buddy, I come to find that Sharp forgot to include screws for the stand in the box. My buddies all came over to watch a flick and game on a huge rear end screen and instead found me muttering to myself and searching the carpet :(. I currently have a huge mess in my living room and a TV taking up the entire loveseat. Called Sharp and was told that screws would be sent but with no ETA. The guy was very cooperative, though.

Edit: Oh, you get two 3D glasses with the Magnolia as well so there is that. Got mine off AZ for $40 each so I don't know if that is still a bargain since I can't see yesterday's deal.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 14, 2014

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure any number associated with "contrast ratio" means absolutely nothing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
We're looking to buy a new TV and we have a maximum budget in mind (850) but are a little lost in the new TV market.

I've been checking a few boxes on Amazon to hone down my search based on what criteria we want but, there still seems to be quite a few options available:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular set out of those listed on this page?

I was drawn to the LG 55LA620V, because it's 55", one of the cheaper listed and has an rear end ton of features and ports. Some of the reviews mention that they've had problems with the TV randomly shutting down though, and i recall reading a review about it that indicated the screen looks "dirty" whatever that means, but these are Amazon reviews so I don't really know how much weight to give them. From the number of reviews it has though, it does seem a popular model.

We'll mostly be using it to watch TV from a PC hooked up to it (through a DVI->HDMI conversion) as well as blu-ray's through an HMDI connected PS3 if that helps in identifying one.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 14, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Personally, I wouldn't have sprung for the magnolia due to the slight differences with the version that sells for $2299.99. Afaik they are exactly the same excepting the 12,000,000 vs 8,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio and different model stands. The Magnolia is THX certified but I am sure you have a 5.1 surround system, right? I hate to say it but that's my weigh-in! That cash will get you a bad rear end new sub-woofer or something. In my own news - after schlepping the 60" to Best Buy and picking up the 70", then carrying the 70" up three flights of stairs with a buddy, I come to find that Sharp forgot to include screws for the stand in the box. My buddies all came over to watch a flick and game on a huge rear end screen and instead found me muttering to myself and searching the carpet :(. I currently have a huge mess in my living room and a TV taking up the entire loveseat. Called Sharp and was told that screws would be sent but with no ETA. The guy was very cooperative, though.

Edit: Oh, you get two 3D glasses with the Magnolia as well so there is that. Got mine off AZ for $40 each so I don't know if that is still a bargain since I can't see yesterday's deal.

I wanted the contrast ratio and the 2 pairs of glasses, so the extra $400 was OK for that. It's true I don't need its sound, but I don't need any more subwoofers either. I've already got a pretty solid 7.2 system that really doesn't need any upgrades anytime soon. I'll be wallmounting this thing, which seems a bit odd in that all the mounts for it are for smaller TVs, but the 400x400 matches the pattern, so I'll probably get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LL5JDA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AVFDL67NPY1X&coliid=I1MVXXDM3XT384

unless anyone has any better suggestions that aren't the $400 one! I don't *need* the articulating, but it'd be nice if we end up with a pool table at one end or want to watch from the bar area.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ended up going to Best Buy and demanding screws from an open box unit of another Sharp in the hopes that they would be universal. It worked out!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to buy a new TV, and I don't have much experience with the tech side. I've regretted pretty every one of my previous TV purchases because I always end up lacking an important feature (my previous TV only went up to 1080i for instance).

Basically, I've tried to read up on it, and it's come down to two models (which might not be helpful, since I'm pretty sure they regionalize the model numbers which makes it really loving hard to find reviews):

46" Samsung F6475
50" Sony Bravia W805

Both have about the same specs (100hz being the important part), and I don't have a good enough eye to tell the difference (plus I have no idea if the stores calibrate them, etc.). I'm going to use it almost exclusively for games and Netflix/Blu-Ray, don't give a poo poo about 3D. The price is the same for both models, but I figure that the 4" difference is not big enough to be the dealbreaker here.

Basically I'm asking: Samsung or Sony?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
If you are gaming that's no contest, get the Sony. The w802a reportedly one of the smallest input lags of any tv in its size. You want this for gaming. Otherwise you will get annoying delays before your button presses are registered.

I looked into the w802a for a while, and while i didn't end up with it, it's a great tv with great reviews.

EDIT sorry I thought I read that as w802 not w805, which is a different model I have not experience with. Kindly disregard my post!

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
So what's the deal with this HDMI "ARC". Can it not do plain PCM out or non-Dolby signal with digital? Can it not be converted to SPIDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to HDMI.org...

quote:

Which audio formats are supported over the Audio Return Channel?

The Audio Return Channel supports all the same audio formats that can be sent through a traditional S/PDIF audio connection, including Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM audio.

The device on the other end also has to be ARC compatible.