Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Inflate a basketball in an illegal sized fuel tank. With the filled basketball displacing space in the tank, the tank holds the required amount of fuel to pass tech. Once you've passed tech, you deflate the ball, and top off the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

CharlesM posted:

How did they get caught, though?

IIRC, the intake was ripped off in an accident in 1995 at Catalunya and an inspector noticed it since both of the clamps were still tight.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Savington posted:

IIRC, the intake was ripped off in an accident in 1995 at Catalunya and an inspector noticed it since both of the clamps were still tight.

After everyone stood around going :aaaaa: for a bit, what was the fallout?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Splizwarf posted:

Their points were stripped and they were banned from racing for 12 months.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Splizwarf posted:

Toyota was banned from competing for the rest of the season/had to give up their points and was fined a fair chunk of change.

e; beaten, what I get for leaving this tab open for so long.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think Toyota was banned for more than the rest of the season.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is there a museum or comprehensive archive of automotive racing cheats? It seems to me all the cool engineering feats are just to circumvent technical rules.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MRC48B posted:

Is there a museum or comprehensive archive of automotive racing cheats? It seems to me all the cool engineering feats are just to circumvent technical rules.

Kind of like all the top digital/internet security guys are all ex hackers.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I found this Popular Mechanics article.

But it basically only covers what's been mentioned in this thread. :smith:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Half the NASCAR rules are specifically outlawing things Smokey Yunick got away with once. There's also the 7/8-scale car, and another one with the same body as his daily driver so he could take the officials out to the parking lot and show them it was a real car when they called him on it.

Speaking of racing, they lost the first-place car at Le Mans for half an hour or so in the wee hours of the morning local time. Apparently it had an electrical problem and the lights went out, so all the commentators knew was that it was stopped, but couldn't get a camera on it. How do you lose a loving racecar in this day and age? It just crapped out and pulled over and they couldn't find it. Like, I could understand losing a '99 Mercedes up a tree, but it was right there the whole time.

Edit: '99 Mercedes loving off into a tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFN_Gp1eHN0

Cf '90s NASCAR before the roof spoilers. The car's shaped like a wing, disrupt the airflow and it takes the gently caress off.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
F1 has some pretty awesome mechanical failures. What do you do when you are behind the game, with a car of dubious reliability and speed? Slap a giant exhaust fan on the back of the car to suck air out from underneath it, vacuuming it to the track. :science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

The two modified cars were prepared for the Swedish Grand Prix at Anderstorp on 17 June 1978, for Niki Lauda and John Watson. When not in use, the fan was covered by a dustbin lid, but it soon became clear what the modified Brabham was intended to achieve: when the drivers blipped the throttle, the car could be seen to squat down on its suspension as the downforce increased.

According to Ecclestone's biographer Terry Lovell, the heads of the other FOCA teams, led by Colin Chapman threatened to withdraw their support for Ecclestone unless he withdrew the BT46B. Ecclestone negotiated a deal within FOCA whereby the car would have continued for another three races before Brabham would voluntarily withdraw it.[18] However, the Commission Sportive Internationale intervened to declare that henceforth fan cars would not be allowed and the car never raced again in Formula One. The car was not considered to have been illegal when it raced however, so the Swedish Grand Prix win stood. The two converted chassis were returned to standard BT46 configuration for the next race.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
There is also the Tyrrell P34

(Do androids dream of race cars with 6 wheels?)

The Tyrrell was reasonably competitive, but because it used special sized tires, tire development quickly lagged behind other teams. The weight of an entire extra front suspension didn't help matters either. While incredibly recognizable, It is an objective failure, only ever winning 1 race out of 30.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

One of these things is not like the others. #3 inner intake valve spring broke into 4 pieces. I found the other piece last time I was inside the motor, 3 years and 250 miles ago.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Wrong thread? Right thread? You decide.

If it's done well then it's 100% awesome.:colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

See also the upside down Camaro in LeMons.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
God drat it Russia!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

God drat it Russia!

Lets take the worst car we can find and make it even WORSE.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mushroom Cruiser?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Consider the positives, it's one less Cruiser being used as a daily driver.

edit - it also means a car that's actually good was not destroyed to make that monstrosity.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 15, 2014

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I wonder if that thing is still front wheel drive.

Would make for some interesting handling characteristics.
Not that a PT Handles to begin with but this must be downright scary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vanagoon posted:

I wonder if that thing is still front wheel drive.
They tried making it RWD with a live axle, but you wouldn't believe what kept happening to the pumpkin.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

InitialDave posted:

They tried making it RWD with a live axle, but you wouldn't believe what kept happening to the pumpkin.

:vince:

drat, son.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

:spooky:

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Motronic posted:

I was so hoping I was right, but I just checked and the "new" APC bigger stuff like the Symetras absolutely are using the same drat batteries. That's just shameful.

I really thought I'd recalled them being built like proper datacenter UPSes.

I'll stick with my Liebert NXes.

It costs me bundle, but I replace all UPS batteries with Panasonic Fat-Tabs(TM) 12-8ah

Zero failures so far.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Hey, UPS chat again, good. I need one for home use (just want my desktop PC to have the time it needs for a graceful shutdown). Last time the subject came up, it seemed like everyone hated every model; is there anything worth getting in the home-consumer range?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Hey, UPS chat again, good. I need one for home use (just want my desktop PC to have the time it needs for a graceful shutdown). Last time the subject came up, it seemed like everyone hated every model; is there anything worth getting in the home-consumer range?

I have a Cyberpower model that works very well. Thing is, it's hardly ever been touched because the power supply in my PC has Active Power Factor Correction and shits itself almost every time the UPS switches to battery. It's a nightmare. Finally, my dad helped me out and now it's all fixed - by replacing the power supply in my computer with a model that doesn't have that feature.

Now it's smooth sailing and I am protected.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Lifehacker had a High Five last November if you wanna look at that.
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-battery-backups-ups-units-1465536280

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html

I bought one for the server at work when our APC kept melting batteries and later bought one for home when Newegg had a good sale. No problems but its only been a little over a year.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We have some of the heavy duty 220 (3000va I think?) Cyberpower UPSes and they've performed as advertised when the power has gone out so far.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

thebigcow posted:

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html

I bought one for the server at work when our APC kept melting batteries and later bought one for home when Newegg had a good sale. No problems but its only been a little over a year.

I've got the 1350va version of this which worked fine for a couple years before a static shock to the USB communication port killed it. Cyberpower replaced it under warranty with no hassle other than having to ship it to them.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

thebigcow posted:

At work we buy a bunch of the 1500 and 850 ones. We've had way less problems than with APC, and warranty is quick and easy with them. We've also been buying the tiny 350's for workstations, and they seem to hold up great.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CuddleChunks posted:

I have a Cyberpower model that works very well. Thing is, it's hardly ever been touched because the power supply in my PC has Active Power Factor Correction and shits itself almost every time the UPS switches to battery. It's a nightmare. Finally, my dad helped me out and now it's all fixed - by replacing the power supply in my computer with a model that doesn't have that feature.

Now it's smooth sailing and I am protected.

The reason for this btw is because of the shape of the power that the UPS outputs. Power supplies with power factor correction need sine waves while before they were okay with the really choppy outputs that many cheap UPS' output. This is unfortunate because most (all?) high efficiency power supplies these days have power factor correction so if you want to have a efficient power supply you're basically stuck with a more expensive UPS that can output a sine wave.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
The sine wave output UPS's are more efficient though, and for modern PCs they are worth it, just for the reduction of stress on the computer PSU.

Anyway, sorry for the detail, post more broken poo poo!

oooops, he made it through though. Made a noise!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rainwulf posted:

The sine wave output UPS's are more efficient though, and for modern PCs they are worth it, just for the reduction of stress on the computer PSU.

Anyway, sorry for the detail, post more broken poo poo!

oooops, he made it through though. Made a noise!

All he needs is to back up to straighten it against the edge of the bridge.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

You Am I posted:

All he needs is to back up to straighten it against the edge of the bridge.

A video of an entire "give no fucks" sequence like that would be a thing of beauty.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Funny thing is that because of the rectifier design, a full-on squarewave UPS output is ideal for non power factor corrected PSUs. Stepped sine just sucks, but is better than sine.

For A-PFC, it depends on the design, I guess. Depending on how smart the controller is (if it's just reacting to input voltage change, or using a sine wave reference and a feedback loop to react to minor changes, really) it may or may not matter at all.

For more info on how power factor correction works, and how a certain APFC controller chip I like works (this is for hardcore EE nerds only, really, I guess) see this document: http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/HBD853-D.PDF

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Cross-posted from the Alternative Insanity thread, a mechanical failure caused by using a consumer product well outside of its design specifications (my fault):

The first attempt at building a vacuum pump powered oil extractor did not work. I was concerned that I might not be able to maintain a good seal with a plastic container and fittings from the hardware store and also that the vinyl tubing might collapse under vacuum. I had a different problem.

I used a brand new Home Depot orange 5 gallon bucket with a gasketed lid. I drilled two holes and put brass barbs on the inside and outside of the lid. One set of barbs had a hose going from the exterior barb to the oil pan (or dirty oil container, whatever) and a hose from the interior barb to the bottom of the bucket. The other set of barbs had a hose connecting the exterior barb to the vacuum pump and nothing connected to the interior barb.

I connected everything and switched on the vacuum pump and there was suction on the "dirty oil" end of all the tubing. I submerged the same end of the tubing into a container of (cold) old oil and that is where the trouble started.

I could see oil moving through the tubing from the waste container (trial oil pan) to the collection bucket right away, but the bucket was not able to withstand the vacuum pressure developed by the vacuum pump. The bucket caved in and the movement of the oil stopped. The vacuum pressure pulled one of the barb sets through the lid of the bucket, which was a surprise.

It seems that I need a stronger vessel for collection. In hindsight I wonder if this device would have worked if I had shut off vacuum pressure as soon as the oil started moving. There was no mess or anything, the only thing ruined was the bucket.

I think I will try again with a two gallon garden sprayer as the collection vessel. Any other ideas?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It sounds like the pump was pulling far more air than could quickly be replaced by the oil. I'd say either get a larger diameter hose and fittings, or pulse the pump next time. As long as there isn't any backflow from the pump, the oil will flow into the bucket until the pressure equalizes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Heat the oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I plan on removing oil from warm engines in the future, this was only a test. I couldn't think of an easy way to warm up the skunky old oil in the jug. I will try pulsing the pump also.