Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I liked it because most of my friends still don't have blu ray players and I could still bring over cool movies to watch when I visited them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I wish I had friends who like Criterion films.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

RustedChrome posted:

I wish I had friends who like Criterion films.

So true..

I blind purchased The Ballard of Narayama at the B&N 40% off Blu Ray sale tonight. I was more interested in their Scream Factory releases, since the Criterion 50% sale can't be too far off, and 40% is the best discount I have seen for Scream Factory

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
FINALLY, they're releasing Eraserhead in September.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

VoodooXT posted:

:toot:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eraserhead is a must-buy for me. Been waiting for it forever.

The Innocents, Sundays and Cybele and Fear Eats the Soul are all terrific movies. But I don't need to own them, especially since I'm trying to curb my spending.

Never seen Polanski's Macbeth.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just watched Fear Eats the Soul for the first time today, wow. It's a good movie, but I don't think I need to own it right now.

Also, yesssss Eraserhead.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

The Innocents, Sundays and Cybele and Fear Eats the Soul are all terrific movies. But I don't need to own them, especially since I'm trying to curb my spending.

I'm a big Shakespeare guy, and I love Polanski's Macbeth. It's a bloody, grim, stark version of the play, but given that the play is so violent and bleak, it fits perfectly. The one scene that I think doesn't work for me is the 3 visions, but I understand why it's changed - I just love the horror and foreshadowing of the play.

Also, Polanski's movie features a fantastic original epilogue that fits the play's violent world all too well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm not a big Shakespeare guy and I also love Polanski's Macbeth.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Polanski's Macbeth is just as great of an adaptations as the Welles and Kurosawa films. It's one of the dirtiest films I've seen - not the content, but there's so much mud, dirt, and dust on everyone and everything. At least see it for the fantastic cinematography by Gilbert Taylor.

Macbeth and Eraserhead are must-haves for me. Given how much of a perfectionist Lynch is, Eraserhead should look amazing. The negative was in really awful shape when it was remastered over a decade ago, so a full restoration probably wasn't easy. Even better that it includes all but one of the short films on his self-released disc (which was made for TV and didn't really go with them anyways).

edit: I almost forgot that Macbeth is a Sony property. This should be yet another flawless Colorworks restoration.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 17, 2014

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I've always wanted to see Eraserhead all the way through, but every time I try I get entirely too creeped out.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

kaujot posted:

I've always wanted to see Eraserhead all the way through, but every time I try I get entirely too creeped out.

I've seen it twice but never all the way through at once, it's just too weird and slow. Going to eat up that bluray though.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

FitFortDanga posted:

The Innocents is a must-buy for me. Though I'm sure I'll end up buying Eraserhead too.

I don't think I could be more excited about The Innocents tbh

I only saw Polanski's Macbeth when I was in high school, and much to my surprise I actually enjoyed it. Would be interesting to see it again to see what I think.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Egbert Souse posted:

Given how much of a perfectionist Lynch is, Eraserhead should look amazing. The negative was in really awful shape when it was remastered over a decade ago, so a full restoration probably wasn't easy. Even better that it includes all but one of the short films on his self-released disc (which was made for TV and didn't really go with them anyways).

IIRC he personally oversaw the remastering for the Japanese release. I wonder if they're using that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just bought the Repo Man blu-ray, and I really love the book it comes with. The whole box is very cool (as is the movie).

I can't wait to get Eraserhead. It's the only Lynch film I haven't seen, but I know enough to be pretty thrilled to finally have it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

The Innocents is a must-buy for me. Though I'm sure I'll end up buying Eraserhead too.

I don't think I could be more excited about The Innocents tbh

You and me both, buddy. I got around to watching it a few months back and I was absolutely blown away.

spotix55
Jun 6, 2014

VoodooXT posted:

I'm exited about the Special Features. It comes with Six short films of David Lynch and I am a fan so This will be the first criterion I Preorder.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eraserhead's coming out just in time for Halloween too. Perfect excuse to introduce it to some friends.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

spotix55 posted:

I'm exited about the Special Features. It comes with Six short films of David Lynch and I am a fan so This will be the first criterion I Preorder.

I wonder if they will be the same that appeared on The Short Films of David Lynch? That would be ok

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I wonder if they will be the same that appeared on The Short Films of David Lynch? That would be ok

They are. Except for The Cowboy & The Frenchman, which isn't that great and is in a completely different tone from the rest of them anyway.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- “Eraserhead” Stories, a 2001 documentary by David Lynch on the making of the film
- New high-definition restorations of six short films by Lynch: Six Figures Getting Sick (1967), The Alphabet (1968), The Grandmother (1970), The Amputee, Part 1 and Part 2 (1974), and Premonitions Following an Evil Deed (1995), all with video introductions by Lynch
- New and archival interviews with cast and crew
- Trailer

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Muholland Drive, La Dolce Vita, and Time Bandits are coming soon.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Egbert Souse posted:

Saw this news while the forums were down, and my reaction can be summed up as: :circlefap:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Egbert Souse posted:

Time Bandits

gently caress yes. I love me some Time Bandits and I've been too lazy to track down any sort of video for it.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Egbert Souse posted:

is it April 1st again already?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Egbert Souse posted:

unghgghgh

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Any ideas?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Something about the Walls Of Jericho.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It Happened One Night

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I Before E posted:

Something about the Walls Of Jericho.

There's a 1948 film titled The Walls of Jericho, directed by John M. Stahl, who also directed the 1935 version of Magnificent Obsession. Maybe that's it?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slate Action posted:

There's a 1948 film titled The Walls of Jericho, directed by John M. Stahl, who also directed the 1935 version of Magnificent Obsession. Maybe that's it?

That or an Eclipse set of the works of Christopher Irvine.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

What about that show Jericho with Skeet Ulrich? What about that?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a new edition of Breaking The Code: Behind the Walls of Chris Jericho.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:gb2cf.org:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching Hard Day's Night for the first time. Paul's grandfather is hilarious. He should have got a spinoff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching Hard Day's Night for the first time. Paul's grandfather is hilarious. He should have got a spinoff.

Actually, the running joke about him being a "clean old man" is a riff on the TV show Wilfrid Brambell starred in at the time, Steptoe and Son. Which was later remade for US television as Sanford and Son.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So, in excitement for Tuesday and the (hopefully) 50% off sale, what titles are on you shopping list?

Mine are:

Persona
The 400 Blows
All That Heaven Allows
Stagecoach
Red River
White Dog
Make Way for Tomorrow (why isn't this BR?!)

Runners up include some potential blind buys: Judex and Riot in Cell Block 11

Also, I doubt it, but will we be able to pre-order titles at 50% off?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

So, in excitement for Tuesday and the (hopefully) 50% off sale, what titles are on you shopping list?

Mine are:

Persona
The 400 Blows
All That Heaven Allows
Stagecoach
Red River
White Dog
Make Way for Tomorrow (why isn't this BR?!)

Runners up include some potential blind buys: Judex and Riot in Cell Block 11

Also, I doubt it, but will we be able to pre-order titles at 50% off?

You can usually pre-order anything that will come out during the time the sale is running.

Sadly pretty broke right now, otherwise would pick up "Hard Day's Night", not too much else on my "must get" list these days.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Just to provide complete confirmation, this banner just showed up on the B&N website:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I hate not having a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait for Tuesday. My plan is blu-rays of Like Someone In Love, City Lights, Jules and Jim, Ace in the Hole, and La Jetee/Sans Soleil[/b].