Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

libertao posted:

Of course not, but now it goes nearly entire episodes without anything funny apart from maybe one fart joke. Even other dramas I watch are funnier than this. And this is not some amazingly powerful drama with tour de force acting that would justify the departure.

The show has never been that funny. If you want funny, I suggest watching his standup routines. But the show has really been more about situations that cringe worthy, unexpected or funny on reflection. The only big difference this season is there was more connective tissue between the episodes and this particlar episode was 90 minutes long. There is a reason FX didnt move Louie to its comedy network when they split their programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
There is an enormous artistic space between a drama devoid of humor and a laughtrack sitcom or standup routine. Louie used to comfortably fill that grey area, just like Louis C.K.'s stand-up act has (e.g. the "everything is amazing and nobody is happy" bit). Nothing wrong with cringe humor either, but the show has self-indulgently devolved into...this.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

libertao posted:

There is an enormous artistic space between a drama devoid of humor and a laughtrack sitcom or standup routine. Louie used to comfortably fill that grey area, just like Louis C.K.'s stand-up act has (e.g. the "everything is amazing and nobody is happy" bit). Nothing wrong with cringe humor either, but the show has self-indulgently devolved into...this.

Meh. We much be watching two different showns then. I really dont think the show has changed that much, basically all through this season, to the last elevator episode things played out as in previous seasons in terms of laugh to drama ratio. Things turned with the Pamela episode, and that was probably a good idea because I think they understand it is hard to jump back in laughing with a guy who just tried to rape someone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
"Devoid" of humor? Charles Grodin's character alone was one of the funniest things the show has ever done. There were other parts too which were at least mildly humorous. To say this show has gone into serious melodrama is a pretty big overstatement.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Clark Kent posted:

Pretty much most comedians dislike political correctness. Everything i have heard him say on O&A, i have also heard Jerry Seinfeld or Chris Rock say on interviews as well.

You've heard Seinfeld say oval office, human being, and friend of the family?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah. Turns out its the punchline to his what's he deal with airline food bit.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

King Vidiot posted:

"Devoid" of humor? Charles Grodin's character alone was one of the funniest things the show has ever done. There were other parts too which were at least mildly humorous. To say this show has gone into serious melodrama is a pretty big overstatement.

Grodin was fantastic. I wasn't saying the entire season has been devoid of humor, but some story arcs have verged upon that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Breadallelogram posted:

The thread title always makes me chuckle a little when I read it, because of Jerry Seinfeld working so clean that even off-stage he can't bring himself to say "poo poo".

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

No i have heard him complain about political correctness and its effect on comedy. Frankly i admire seinfeld's ability to be funny without resorting to profanity.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

libertao posted:

Grodin was fantastic. I wasn't saying the entire season has been devoid of humor, but some story arcs have verged upon that.

I do have to say it was wonderful seeing Grodin in such a great role again. People forget what a talent he is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember there's one bit in that Talking Funny HBO special where CK says "friend of the family" and Seinfeld starts shaking his head and being like "no, you can't say that" while Chris Rock cracks up.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Clark Kent posted:

No i have heard him complain about political correctness and its effect on comedy. Frankly i admire seinfeld's ability to be funny without resorting to profanity.

So is there something more to "Political Correctness Gone Mad" than being an ironically PC way of saying "I can't tell a racist/rape joke without those niggers/cunts getting mad at me"?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

King Vidiot posted:

The thread title always makes me chuckle a little when I read it, because of Jerry Seinfeld working so clean that even off-stage he can't bring himself to say "poo poo".

If you've never seen the documentary Comedian, Seinfeld does drop f-bombs and whatnot in casual conversation, like many people do.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Krowley posted:

So is there something more to "Political Correctness Gone Mad" than being an ironically PC way of saying "I can't tell a racist/rape joke without those niggers/cunts getting mad at me"?

Nope, its the SJW of the pre-internet era

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat to people.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Scrub Lover posted:

louie episodes have always been more like short indie films with some funny moments than sitcom episodes. watch seinfeld or something if you non stop jokes and goofs

Louie already made a more traditional sitcom (Lucky Louie) and it's pretty cool and worth watching.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

I remember there's one bit in that Talking Funny HBO special where CK says "friend of the family" and Seinfeld starts shaking his head and being like "no, you can't say that" while Chris Rock cracks up.

There needs to be a scene in Louie similar to the one in Treme when Steve Zahn's progressive, non-racist, jazz-loving character starts dropping "non-racist" n-bombs in a nola bar whilst drunk and some random dude just beats the poo poo out of him as he tries to explain the so-called context.

And yea, Louie has always been more than a sitcom however even the weirder and artsier episodes used to rate like a 7-8 gutbuster scale. I have vague memories of cracking up really, really hard at some of the earlier standup or absurdist scenes but I can barely remember any recent belly laughs. Don't get me wrong, I've been liking this season so far but it's currently running at about a 3.5

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow how the hell did I not notice that the doctor is Charles Grodin until someone mentioned it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NESguerilla posted:

Wow how the hell did I not notice that the doctor is Charles Grodin until someone mentioned it?

Because in our minds and our hearts, Charles Grodin always has and always will look like this:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Leviathan posted:

And yea, Louie has always been more than a sitcom however even the weirder and artsier episodes used to rate like a 7-8 gutbuster scale. I have vague memories of cracking up really, really hard
Maybe you should rewatch those earlier weird & artsy episodes sometime. I'm trying to see where this opinion people in here have about the big dramatic shift in tone this season comes from, I think it's a combo of

- Elevator taking up so much room that there was less space for standalone randomness and
- not having seen the earlier episodes in a while, because everything's funnier in your memory

Would there still be the same sentiment if Amia's arc had only been three episodes and the other three used for random surprising stuff à la Model?

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
My appreciation for Louie is still very high despite the way he changed the formula since season 2, I enjoy watching him grow as a storyteller/director and I wouldnt be surprised if he made a few full feature films down the line, which would probably be enhanced by knowing the show where he developped his style... The way some of his characters are fully fledged organic people and some others are kept as one dimensional surreal jerks gives me a classic Woody Allen vibe.

But while I do hope he keeps busy with his show and keeps challenging himself and his audience with new storytelling that has less room for jokes and poo poo, I do miss seasons 1 & 2's constant surreal feel and how each episode felt like a journey. These episodes I can rewatch over and over again. I dont want to rewatch the Amia arc once. Except maybe the Tobb Berry bit...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

Maybe you should rewatch those earlier weird & artsy episodes sometime. I'm trying to see where this opinion people in here have about the big dramatic shift in tone this season comes from, I think it's a combo of

- Elevator taking up so much room that there was less space for standalone randomness and
- not having seen the earlier episodes in a while, because everything's funnier in your memory

Would there still be the same sentiment if Amia's arc had only been three episodes and the other three used for random surprising stuff à la Model?

Some of the direction has made me laugh for the wrong reasons. A bunch of his non Non sequitur stuff is just so bad. The way the fucks with switching around actors and the characters is just terrible (I know he's really nihilistic about it but it really just makes the show incoherent. It adds nothing) Then he tries to pull off these corny art house shots like Amia running from a gazebo into a church that look something from a show making fun of art house films...but it's not tongue in cheek at all.

The show is still really good at times but he seems to be convincing himself he's some sort of renaissance man that he is not. The last episode was definitely great though.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

I rewatched the first three seasons before season four came on, and i agree. The tone and feel of the show really hasnt changed. And the humor is roughly in the same ballpark. There are tons of moments and episodes in the early seasons that have very few laughs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"God" is basically a template for what the show would become, and that was one of the most popular season 1 episodes by a long way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I miss the knee-slapping episodes of previous seasons, like the one where Louie tries and fails to talk his alcoholic comedian friend out of killing himself. God that was a riot.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I miss the knee-slapping episodes of previous seasons, like the one where Louie tries and fails to talk his alcoholic comedian friend out of killing himself. God that was a riot.

That episode was hilarious. Most reviews I read of it even pointed out that they took an incredibly serious subject and still made it very funny throughout, and even Louis did an interview where he talked about how Doug Stanhope's character comes off happy and fun and full of life despite wanting to die.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

NESguerilla posted:

Some of the direction has made me laugh for the wrong reasons. A bunch of his non Non sequitur stuff is just so bad. The way the fucks with switching around actors and the characters is just terrible (I know he's really nihilistic about it but it really just makes the show incoherent. It adds nothing) Then he tries to pull off these corny art house shots like Amia running from a gazebo into a church that look something from a show making fun of art house films...but it's not tongue in cheek at all.

The show is still really good at times but he seems to be convincing himself he's some sort of renaissance man that he is not. The last episode was definitely great though.

The direction is the best part of the show, and Louis will be remembered for being a great director.

Also, if changing actors takes you out of the show, you should try harder to watch it, because it's very easy to follow. It's not like he's keeping names a secret. He changes the actors sometimes because the actor he decides adds what he wants to show that episode to the character. To me, that means it adds everything. Shows don't need to be serialized to be good.

For the art house stuff. Are you saying the shots don't look good? They don't fit? Or, are you just mad because they may be cliché? If they look good, and fit the tone of the show, why should it matter? There is a reason why cliché is cliché.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just gotta say I think it's fantastic that a show by a standup comedian can generate so much discussion into real heavy poo poo like rape, bullying, drug use, and also for some reason auterism.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Finally watched the two-parter. It was incredible, some of the best stuff he's done. Loved every bit of it. His mom's incredibly self-centered outburst was one of the most selfish yet upsettingly real things I've seen in a while.

He got lucky with his generous teachers and was given a shot by not going to jail, so it's his duty to do better for his kids than his parents did for him. He's offered an easy way off the hook with the therapy, but it's not enough - he's too smart to swallow that crap and knows that despite your difficulties you're still stuck with your own sense of right and wrong.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 15, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I'm loving dying from the Art Button. :lol:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
This finally seems to be an actual comedy episode (it's great so far).

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I swear, I've been in this relationship. It does not end well.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad that he felt obligated to explain the whole race thing with Janet and the daughters. But I guess it was fitting that it was Pamela that did the asking, since her character is meant to have boundary issues.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 17, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, the first one was funny.

They won't last very long, I don't think.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

hcreight posted:

I'm loving dying from the Art Button. :lol:

Yeah that got a huge laugh out of me. Overall I didn't like these episodes that much though. I didn't like the way that Louie's behavior toward Pamela in the previous episode was just kind of swept under the rug.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, not great that the overly aggressive rapey scene was completely ignored. But hey, we got to see Louie naked.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah, not great that the overly aggressive rapey scene was completely ignored. But hey, we got to see Louie naked.

Not really, a lot of the same emotional issues that fuelled that scene were pretty directly addressed here.

Emotionally unavailable meets aggressively insecure does not a great love story make.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So happy to see Maron show up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So trying to rape a girl charms her on some level.

Good to know, Louie.

Jesus, what a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sub Rosa posted:

So happy to see Maron show up.

Did anyone else get the in-joke of that moment? Basically in real life the roles were reversed and Maron reacted exactly how Louie did and Louie reacted exactly how Maron did and they didn't speak for years before making up recently.

I liked the season overall. I don't really mind if the show isn't as funny, I just kind of dig these weird little stories Louie's trying to tell.

• Locked thread