Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

Yeah but if you can get the real thing there's comedy value to that. And I can't imagine it's that hard to get right said fred.

We also know that Assad is a big fan of Rights Said Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

We also know that Assad is a big fan of Rights Said Fred.

Right. That did make it a funny idea, but I admit that I couldn't watch more than a few seconds.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
LMFAO would have been funnier, but would have cost more.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I guess that it didn't work out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

LMFAO would have been funnier, but would have cost more.

Would they have been funnier? I think half the joke is in how irrelevant Right Said Fred is.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

Also, I wonder what would happen if TDS STOPPED watching news channels and actually tried to do a news comedy show. A lot of the time I feel like with the Daily Show I'm watching one of those Youtube ' .* Reacts To ' videos.

Yeh, I was getting a bit bored with TDS and watching this has pretty much stopped me watching it now. Can only watch so many insane Fox News clips without wanting to kill myself and this show is fantastic.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So the forums go down and John makes the show's first oblique reference to The American. COINCIDENCE?!

Yes, yes it probably was.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everybody should watch this episode in particular on repeat, if only for the Stephen Hawking interview.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sweeney Tom posted:

Everybody should watch this episode in particular on repeat, if only for the Stephen Hawking interview.

No.
No.
Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to type this?
No.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
If you don't learn to play the recorder, you're hosed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am not a dingo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am not a dingo.

Prove it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
gently caress...anybody know a good zoologist?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I mean, imaginary time is just obtained by taking a Wick rotation by pi/2 in the complex plane tau=i*t. Nothing to it, really.

Stephen Hawking, if you can't describe what imaginary time would do to regular matter, to which our perceptions are fixed on a forward flow of time, how do you think any sci-fi authors can imagine it, except as like alternate possible worldtracks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I understand John's point about how America should be above the politics of xenophobia because of the fact that we're a nation of immigrants while European countries aren't, but isn't our hilariously complex immigration system more or less par for the course in the grand scheme of things? Australia treats immigrants detained on Manus Island so badly that it caught the attention of Amnesty International, and good luck getting asylum in most European countries.

Yeah, we treat detained immigrants like poo poo and have asylum quotas too, but again, we're not a unique case here. Not to mention that the Constitution guarantees naturalized citizenship to children of foreigners born here, which is more than you can say about France.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

I understand John's point about how America should be above the politics of xenophobia because of the fact that we're a nation of immigrants while European countries aren't, but isn't our hilariously complex immigration system more or less par for the course in the grand scheme of things? Australia treats immigrants detained on Manus Island so badly that it caught the attention of Amnesty International, and good luck getting asylum in most European countries.

Yeah, we treat detained immigrants like poo poo and have asylum quotas too, but again, we're not a unique case here. Not to mention that the Constitution guarantees naturalized citizenship to children of foreigners born here, which is more than you can say about France.

You're conflating asylum seekers and nonlegal entry with the legal immigration process there. When John was talking about the 'hilariously complex immigration system' he was talking about the legal immigration process, which is undeniably insane by rest-of-world standards.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 16, 2014

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Jesus Christ, this episode absolutely slayed me.

I learned to play the recorder, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha, The Stephen Hawking interview was AMAZING. :allears:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I learned to play the recorder, though.

Then where did you go wrong after that?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Y-Hat posted:

John barely scratched the surface of Britain's (England's especially) sordid past with the treatment of immigrants. See, post WW2 we had a massive influx because, well, the Commonwealth/Empire and a bunch of other nations have kinda saved our asses, so as a general 'thanks', almost anyone who fought in our name (save Gurkhas, a matter which was actually only resolved very recently) was given a pass to come and settle. Naturally, the government somewhat underestimated how much interest there was for that, and soon enough a great number of immigrants were on the way (including my grandfather, previously of the polish resistance). And since people in the fifties and sixties were much more willing to be open about their bigoted attitudes (though the likes of UKIP have made it attractive again), poo poo got very tense as race riots erupted and folks like Enoch Powell made his infamous 'River of Blood' speech. Studying that period of our history was part of the History curriculum here with very good reason, and I'm legitimately worried given how UKIP ended up the most popular of the UK parties in the European Election.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
It's actually kind of funny how some people in the US think they have a monopoly on anti-immigrant racism. It's like they've never heard someone with an accent bitch about "pakis", or Poles running car washes, or gypsies being the source of all crime ever.

There's just a whole world of racism most people haven't experienced.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ultramiraculous posted:

It's actually kind of funny how some people in the US think they have a monopoly on anti-immigrant racism. It's like they've never heard someone with an accent bitch about "pakis", or Poles running car washes, or gypsies being the source of all crime ever.

I'm sort of ok with that particular lack of knowledge as I don't people to start excusing american racism with the idea that it's worse elsewhere. I'm not sure I trust most people with that knowledge.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That whole episode was brilliant and I can't decide if I enjoyed the American Tail bit or the Hawking interview more. I love this show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Or anyone from New Zealand for more than 5 seconds ever.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That whole episode was brilliant and I can't decide if I enjoyed the American Tail bit or the Hawking interview more. I love this show.

Seriously, this show has gotten really drat good really drat fast. I know he was given some footing by running TDS for the summer, but it feels like a show he's comfortable with already and personalized to him and it's only been like a month and a half. Amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was worried that it was going to be riding on the TDS coattails too hard, and to be honest he does repeat a few too many jokes that I've already heard on TDS, but I think he's quickly making his own mark on comedy news.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ultramiraculous posted:

I thought it was common knowledge that the US is fairly low in the open xenophobia rankings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Steve Yun posted:

I was worried that it was going to be riding on the TDS coattails too hard, and to be honest he does repeat a few too many jokes that I've already heard on TDS, but I think he's quickly making his own mark on comedy news.

It's basically The Daily Show Weekend Edition - with unbleeped bad language.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really like the structure they've built - we start with a quick recap of the week, which is basically throat clearing and when the show is the most TDSey.

And then he hones in on one or two stories and does a deep drill on them - and then always ends with an interesting interview or sketch.

And man, I goddamn love the international focus.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

And man, I goddamn love the international focus.

This is one of the main draw for me, aside from John Oliver. I've been tired of TDS for a while now, except for that time when Oliver hosted.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Normally I like this show but the way he delivered that hedge fund line was so bad and self-congratulatory. HBO doesn't need another Bill Maher.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

So the forums go down and John makes the show's first oblique reference to The American. COINCIDENCE?!
What was this? I must have missed it.

Also how the gently caress has he not brought Andy in on his fancy new show at least once? Come on. Give him the Joliver Bump.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's basically The Daily Show Weekend Edition - with unbleeped bad language.
and the image of Mitch McConnel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Jetski mention. You must have been too busy on your jetski so you missed it,

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's the TDS without the filler that required due to it only being weekly. Which allows it not to get bogged down in the crap that the daily show does during a normal news cycle.

Nothing is better then the Hawking interview.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VagueRant posted:

Also how the gently caress has he not brought Andy in on his fancy new show at least once? Come on. Give him the Joliver Bump.

and the image of Mitch McConnel.

OLD. DICK. :flaccid:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I like there's less beating of the dead 'Fox news says dumb stuff, Republicans are bad' horse and he usually just uses the extended running time to go full bore after corrupt corporations and organizations. Like that GM piece, I don't know what would have looked like on a network that had to worry about sponsors, but I doubt HBO gave a poo poo.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Seriously though if you were an artificial intelligence your first independent rational act would be to infect Hawking's computer and puppetmaster him to ensure he can't invent the one thing that could thwart you, buying time until we've stupidly put enough predator drones in the air / implemented the Internet of Things for you to go Skynet.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 17, 2014

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Scorchy posted:

I like there's less beating of the dead 'Fox news says dumb stuff, Republicans are bad' horse and he usually just uses the extended running time to go full bore after corrupt corporations and organizations. Like that GM piece, I don't know what would have looked like on a network that had to worry about sponsors, but I doubt HBO gave a poo poo.

Yeah. I got tired of all that Fox and Republican stuff in TDS. Another thing I love about Oliver's show are the "commercials" or mini-skits like that Nintendo vids.

I don't agree that this show is just TDS without the censors. If it was, I would not be watching because it wasn't the swearing or the old man dick that makes this show preferrable to TDS for me.

I like the focus on international events. I like the fake ads. I like the show goes deep on specific issues like the GM bit, immigration, net neutrality, etc. I like that the show seems more activist than TDS or TCR. I like that the focus are on the issues and not on the political part or the media. I also enjoy the interviews. I like that I have laughed out loud a lot more in the 7 episodes they've had so far than in the last few months I've watched TDS.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I agree with everything posted here, I only wish it was a little longer. If Smuggy McSmug Bill Maher can do an hour, this show can too. A week wait for a half hour show isn't enough, it's just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I agree that it isn't quite TDS without commercials or censorship. It's taken me a while to work it out but I think the limited time they have for one week is why there's a different feel. It doesn't seem to have segments they feel "obligated" to do because they're doing two hours of comedy a week. They basically get to cherry pick stories from the week or even from the greater global landscape and really have fun with it. And, from a comedy perspective, brevity and a quick pace is a very strong asset. It's why I don't long for an hour any more than I wish every show I love had more after it's done. The show feels exhausting because it's so tightly wound just like an excellently crafted stand up set. The fake commericals are incredible if only because they take an expectation for the ignorable downtime of a commercial and use it for more comedy.

I hope they keep changing up the structure with interviews when they want them and none when they don't because it makes the whole thing congeal into a handcrafted package that feels like it was made to fit that singular week rather than being a formula with the days events plugged into their necessary slots. And I still love TDS and TCR but I sincerely appreciate the ways this show can ignore their structure.

That said, I do so very much want an Andy Zaltzman segment just so John can invoke the power vested unto him by the people at HBO for Andy to stop a pun run in progress only for it to continue because a pun run is a force of nature that answers to no man.

• Locked thread