Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Karl Bradford
Rating 9 / Nuyen 24683 / 13 Karma

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

Karl sees Matches messing with the explosives and ducks for cover as best as possible. He radios back to Dayton "We've got a slight situation here, update in 5."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Does Matches have any kind of defusal tools on him? He doesn't have a demo kit in his inventory as far as I can find.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hah, prolly not! I had a demo shop in one of my earlier builds but when I cut it I guess I never added a kit in it's place. He at least has a knife, a cigar cutter, and a box of log wooden cigar matches. That's almost a demo kit, right?

Hope everyone moved far enough back.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry this took me so long, y'all.

These second-world electronics are child's play compared to the corpsec stuff you were used to hacking. It's unconnected to anything with the cable severed, and the little flash memory operating system is pretty much a drat joke. Even in AR, it takes you less than six seconds to pull a memory dump, rewrite the password check loop into something that spits out true every time, flash the chip, and reboot the lock. In short, you pop the lock like a pro. And you're rewarded with a little eletronic 'click' as the device complies with your commands.

You lose -2 dp for not having a kit, but truncating means no hits lost!

You hunch down next to that smooth-skin dwarf and get to work, propping open the hatch maybe six inches. There was a decent bit of slack in the tripwire: you could've opened in another foot before it threatened to detonate. Whoever had planted this, they wanted it to go off when the hatch was open enough to do some real damage to whoever was on the other side of it. And with a little Ares-labeled flashlight, you get a good look at the device. You know these mines: saw old poo poo like this all the time, back before you ended up here. Ended up---funny word, that. You know the tripping mechanism, though, better than your left hand: well, at least you thought you did, until you lost your left hand to one. But this was older, more primitive, and easier to circumvent than the one that took your left arm from you.

You test the cable, finding the smallest bit of slack, and then ease your combat knife into the wire, not daring to cut it as you catch the steel in the blade's serrations. Then you pull down on the wire, pulling the plunger back into a firing position, playing a dangerous game with little more than a few thick match sticks, a combat knife, and your own agility. As the pluger begins to move, though, slowly, slowly, you get to the point you were looking for: the little hole in the plunger has perfectly aligned with the opening in its housing, the one that used to be filled by a safety pin. Your match is almost the perfect size. And even though it isn't that toughest thing in the world, it holds as you begin to release the pressure on the mine. Then your knife is through the tripwire cable, and the mine is still intact.

It's mounted to the hatch with some universal glue, the kind you'd need solvent to detach, but you slowly lift the hatch open and rest it on its top, the mine live with a match through its safety pin slot.

There, defused with a match like a boss. Also, could you link to your character sheet in your post somewhere? I mean, instead of the top-level dropbox that contains it.

Karl keeps Sgt. Dayton quiet while the technical experts get to work. Nina makes quick work of the hatch's lock, splicing it directly into her deck and tapping a few keys before the thing rolls open with a small sound. Then you all back a bit up as Matches gets to work, hunched in a six-inch opening with a box of long log matches and a combat knife. He works steadily, though, and in about five seconds he's got the hatch on its back, completely open, with a match stick stuck through the plunger of the mine. Below is the water main, a steel tube maybe two meters across, pitch-black in both directions.

Then Sgt. Dayton chimes in again. {ETA 7 minutes for Squads A1 and A2. Also, what the gently caress was Matches doing? His heartrate jumped through the roof for about three seconds.}

The man graciously accepts your nuyen and guides you into a back room with a custom tailor. The room is furnished sparsely, but beautifully, and they offer you whiskey in jade-sculpted glasses. The tailor, an older Chinese man who had clearly closed up his tailoring kits for the day, looked almost livid as you two arrived. But he exchanged several words in Chinese with hte other man, and finally gave a nod and motioned you two into measurement suits. The scribbled your measurements on a paper, double- and triple-checking them with speed as the sirens finally arrive outside. When the sirens are finally stopped, your host disappears, his commlink buzzing, toward the front of the store and the cacophony of shouts there. It was unclear, really, what laws existed in Tamanrasset, but surely gunfire in the streets was frowned upon. Even so, you two were undisturbed, and soon enough there were orders for your suits: an Ace of Diamonds jacket for Mr. White, well-tailored with a custom fit, and a suit for Franz, something they called the 'Ace of Blood', with a color to back the name up. Your host returns after another five minutes, looking annoyed but otherwise none the worse for wear, and has another exchange with the tailor. Then he turns to the two of you and says, "Sirs, I have your final bills. For you, Mr. Talhoffer, two thousand nuyen, unless you would like additional modifications. And Mr. White, I'm afraid yours has come out a bit pricier: I need to collect a total of twenty-six thousand if you'd like to pay for your outstanding order as well."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 12, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
sorry man, it used to link directly DB freaked out a week or so ago and I couldn't get it to work. I will mess around with google docs tonight and link it there.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 18530 Karma: 5 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 9 Condition: 0/11P 1/11S Edge: 1/3

If I did the math right Birch should have 8 dice for stealth when jacked which is only one less than Darius. So might as well have him send the Flyspy in first as long as it can broadcast back to us with picture etc.

Darius breathes a sigh of relief as Matches disables the explosives. Turning to Birch: "Can you send a drone in to scout and relay the feed back to us? I'd like to see if I can identify them before we engage."
"Ahh he was disarming an explosive on the entrance to the tunnel. Not out of the woods yet either Sergeant. We've got lifeforms in the tunnel. Could just be animals, could be paracritters. We're trying to get a better look and decide on best course of action right now."

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 12, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 9480 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 11 Edge 5/5 Karma: 0

This thing ain't gonna blow this fuckin second, but we might wanna get the gently caress outta here asafuckinp. Whats the status of the poo poo in the tunnel? Bugs, guards, what? If we weren't playing baby fuckin rules I woulda had my flamer n just burned um out.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Birch tosses a handful of small drones into the air, and the buzz down and into the tunnels, sounding remarkably like honest-to-god bees as the buzz down the tunnel. Birch goes limp, rigged into the drones, for maybe twenty seconds, before then he comes back. He looks over the lot of you for a moment before speaking. "It's, uh... They're like scorpions, but way too big. Maybe three of them, a hundred meters up the tunnel. I've sent my FlySpys further up, so they'll let me know if they come across anything else, but it will take them maybe another thirty seconds to make it the rest of the way. Let's get a move on, I guess. Unless there's anything you could loving do to actually disable that mine, Matches."

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius

Darius racks his brain for solutions and advantages.

Scorpions? Parazoology Check: 9d6t5 4

Most interested in non-violent solutions, any way we could give ourselves a combat advantage, then anything else useful. In that order. Also I don't know if awakened critters would fall under parazoology or not so feel free to roll 7d6 for me if that's the case. How big is this tunnel, I'm guessing we can't go around them? Also does Branch have any of his other drones?

"Keep an eye out for any openings in the tunnel Birch. They had to have gotten in there somehow right? Or maybe Firewatch found them in the building and drove them underground, is that their style? And, uh, I figure Karl and I take point and the rest follow maybe 10 meters behind?"

Darius feels torn. On the one hand these might be novascorpions, he's never seen one up close. On the other hand these might be novascorpions...
Things were already getting messy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 9480 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 11 Edge 5/5 Karma: 0

It's fuckin disarmed which is good loving enough for loving now.

So, how you all wanna do this? I don't feel so excited about all of us pilin' in there and trin' to shoot fuckin past each other. Maybe one a you creepy motherfuckers
He nods towards White and Franz wanna sneak in there and see if you can dispatch them quietly? I can come in a backup, if poo poo goes sideways I can cover your retreat, so long as you are good at ducking. Having finished with his cigar, Matches begins getting his weapons arranged. He slings his ballistic shield on his back. His grenade launcher is hung on a whippet rig under his left arm. In his hands was his beloved M202. Not the biggest gun, but fuckin enough if you new how to shoot. With a look of pure distaste he loads a 100 round belt of Stock-n-Shock. Fuckin bullshit.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
White isn't there, but Franz is!

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Bell
2/3 Edge
6/10 Stun

"I prefer not to cast anything else at the moment unless we really, REALLY, really need to get pass them," Bell remarks, making sure her things were up to snuff on her pack before readying her weapon of choice, loading it up with Stock-n-Shock to ensure that things can only get shocking from here.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

¥: 29,380 TV Rating: 12.5 Cards in the Deck: 50/52
Edge: 0/4
Intiative: 10+1d6 16
Wound Modifiers: -1
"And when can I expect delivery on that outstanding order? I assume if you are requesting payment now that you have it on hand or it will be delivered to this shop. Also for sake of clarification, so I know that we are both talking about the same thing, tell me what item the outstanding order is for. Should be a short list if we're including todays purchase and it in one lump sum." Mr. White says pausing only for a moment before he hands over his nuyen.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 20, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

Noticing the predicament Matches is going through with the mine, Karl grabs his glue solvent spray from his side pack and carefully hands it over while staying in cover as much as possible. He's seen far more skilled demolitions "experts" bumble and fumble their way to an unexpected explosion to assume this is all over.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Approximately 1 meter long, the nova scorpion has a gold-colored body and large pincers. Its tail ends in a large stinger. Several species of scorpions inhabit the same area as the nova scorpion, but they are all much smaller and paler with smaller stingers. A nova scorpion is fairly quick and resilient, with a venomous attack and a hard carapace. Its venom has an onset time of about an hour, dealing lethal damage over time. The scorpions may also conceal themselves magically, becoming difficult to find in its natural condition.

Have some Intricate Knowledge for 4 hits:

pre:
Nova Scorpion
B A R S W L I C E M
5 4 4 3 5 - 5 - 2 4 
Initiative: 11+1d6
Movement: x2 / x4 / +4
Condition Monitor: 11 / 11
Skills: Exotic Melee Weapon (Pincer) 5
        Exotic melee Weapon (Stinger) 8
        Athletics Skill Group 5
        Sneaking 6
        Perception 4
        Outdoors Skill Group 3
Powers: Armor 3
        Concealment
        Natural Weapon (Claws: DV 6P)
        Natural Weapon (Stinger: DV 10P, -2AP) 
        Venom (Injection, One Hour, Power 12, 
               Effect: Physical Damage, Disorientation, Paralysis)

The glue solvent used, the mine is now far enough away to be no harm at all even if the match stick breaks. It was time, now or never, to get started.

Who is going into the tunnel? Can I get a marching order or arrangement?

The man motions to a Vashon Island bag behind the resigert. "Your previous order has been filled. Oh, are you also getting that jacket to go, separate from the one we're modifying for you? In that case, the total comes to... 27,400 nuyen for everything."

He swipes your card and retrieves the bag from the register, folding your Ace of Diamonds and place it on top of the other contents---whatever they may be. Then he smiles and turns to Franz...

"Payment, sir?"

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

¥: 1,980 TV Rating: 12.5 Cards in the Deck: 50/52
Tony pulls out his gold credstick. "27,400 and yes I'm taking this jacket to go. Suits me doesn't it?" He gives it to the man with a quick word of caution. "Do me a favor sir and don't run the credstick yet, the payment is on there but I want to make sure the item was modded to my specifications. I don't believe there's a return policy on what I requested." and then goes to pick up the bag, opening it to verify the contents. Assuming he's satisfied with what he has (Receipt, Ruthenium, doing a diagnostic on the suit really quick to make sure it had the same capabilities he was used to, he'll turn and give the man the nod to run his credstick and deduct the funds. "Marvelous. Well that settles it then. A pleasure meeting you gentlemen. Tell the tailor that I apologize for the late hour and I'll have an excellent tip for him when I come to pick up my new outfit. Nights still young and I have a few more accounts to settle. Oh can I have another garment bag for the clothes I'm wearing please? Thank you kindly."

Tony will probably buy some designer jeans and a shirt to go with his new ace of spades jacket. He'll find the footwear at another store if its not availible here to suit his look. Sneakers of some kind is what he has in mind in some crazy electrochromatic store.

After all things are settled Tony will probably exit out of the front if its clear, otherwise the back. He'll make his way to the Ares clothing store to meet Nina. When he gets there he'll probably have to knock repeatedly to get whoever is closing up the shop to open up. "Hey is this the place where I trade in my Vashon Island clothes for a new Rapid Transit? I heard there was a special for the games! Just loving with you, but can we come in, I need to leave my suit to get repaired and cleaned up or something. Oh hey Nina fancy seeing you here? Late night shopping as well?" White says playing off that they made a meet. Once its just them and whatever cameras are watching the store he motions for Nina to take a walk with him down the block or so.

"I need you to do me a favor and do two things tonight. One is matrix overwatch and tracking down certain people by any means necessary. I've been recently educated to the amount of spy sats covering this city alone at any one time, let alone any cameras across town that you could access with ease. It should come in handy. The second is to sanitize a video that I got a hold of. If you have any questions as to the legitimacy of what you are being asked to do I invite you to contact Jenaveve Valenti, assistant to Karen King, the Karen King whose VP of Ares Seattle. Ares Europe is responsible for the games but they aren't responsible for me, not fully anyway. Is there anything you need from me to handle this?"

By this point they should have circled the block and taken the odd left or right turn to check if they had a tail. Hopefully all is well. "The Chatsubo should be secure by now, the cops should have hosed off by now though the drama took place nowhere near it. Some people can't handle themselves in a bar brawl without reaching for a gun. What can I say? Anyway, if by chance you get in a bind comm me or franz and we'll take care of it." He looks around for a cab to hail and whistles when he sees one. "Oh yeah if you aren't gonna hang around, we're headed back to base for a quick moment to stock up on liquor until the games start. Need a ride?"

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

ooc: Dibs on middle rear cause I'm going to cast stuff later on once we are about 200m away from the target.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

TV Ratings: 9.5

THE DESERT

Nina tries to find her way back to the back of the group, moving one hand to her pistol while she did so. Sure, she wasn't great with this thing, but at least she was good enough to not accidentally shoot someone.

OOC: Near the back, only the last if we're 100% sure we're not gonna get ambushed. Which'll be never.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Please lets all not go into the tiny tube full of mutant bugs.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius

Darius rattles off a list of facts about the scorpions to the team then focuses on two facts:
1: They don't have invisibility, but they do have a sort of magical camouflage and they were stealthy even without it. So yeah, we may not be able to see them coming.
2: Their stinger and the venom that accompanies it ain't no joke.

He sighs sadly "I don't feel good about icing these bugs for training but the bosses only care about our efficiency and y'all probably feel similarly. At least about the bugs. What did they do to deserve this though..? Uh, anyway for our safety and for time I admit we don't have any other choice." Darius seems to try to get a bad taste out of his mouth here and continues: "If they're only 100 meters in then even I can hit them from just inside the entrance. I'll go in first and see if I can get a bead on them. Hopefully they're not in camouflage mode already. Bell do you have anything that can counteract the camouflage? If not could you track them astrally at least. and report when they start moving? Novascorpions aren't awakened the way hellhounds or barghests are so you should be safe. At least two or three of us should be able to fit in there shoulder to shoulder. I, uh figure, I take point and take a shot at one and see what they do. If they rush us let me see how many I can take down within the first 70-80 meters. If they get too close I guess we'll have to risk gunfire. If they run then we're just gonna have to advance slowly and get them one by one. To be honest I kind of hope they rush us. "

"Sergeant, lifeforms appear to be Novascorpions. We're going to have to engage. I don't know how far any missed shots are going to travel and if Firewatch will hear us. If we wait until A1 and A2 have engaged we're gonna be awful late for the party though. I can try to do the majority of the shooting to minimize noise, but if they, uh, get too close the rest of the squad is going to have to jump in. How do you advise?"

OOC: I just rolled it out on a lark to see if Darius could do it. Assuming they choose to bumrush instead of run away up the tunnel, Bell sustains Detect Enemies on Darius, and Stick-N-Shock arrows work on Novascorpions, and that there is at least dim light then it's doable. It was close and a wounded scorpion got one attack in (dodged) but yeah. So if we want to try that with Karl and Franz as backup in case they actually do get that close we probably could. Again, that's all assuming that they don't just run further up the tunnel in which case we would have to follow them in and basically do the same thing I guess.

If everyone is ok with that plan and Dayton gives the go-ahead then Darius moves in, hopefully stealthily.

Stealth in the Water Main #1: 9d6t5 3
Perception in the Water Main #1: 8d6t5 5

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 13, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford

"Plan sounds good Darius, I'll get down there with you and cover your back. I can hit them with a flashbang first off if you think that will give us an edge."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry, y'all. I got distracted with a huge side project with weekend. The next >3 weeks may be sort of spotty because I might be trying for a paper deadline, but I'll try to be as available as possible.

@Arkangelus, you lost two hits (four dice) on your roll due to truncating the creature's conceal off of your roll.

Ducking into the sewer, you try to make yourself smaller than you are. You crouch in the shadows, slipping northward. Armed and ready for action, the two of you close maybe one hundred meters of the tunnel. There isn't quite enough room to walk upright, but there's certainly enough to sort of scuttle into it. It's not difficult to stay balanced, but the trickle of water at the bottom of the pipe combined with the musty smell of abandoned water is enough to let your minds wander as you proceed north. It's hard, in the lighting, to make out what might be there, and whatever properties these scorpions have aren't helping you any. Darius sees what might be a shimmer once or twice, in the distance, but it slips away before he can track it with his eyes. Karl's in a similar situation, his thermal vision doing a lot of good but not quite enough to make anything out precisely.

I need a Perception roll from Bigass Moth. What do the two of you do?

Karl and Darius duck into the tunnels, well-armed and looking to disarm the situation, while the rest of you stand in the hot sands of the desert. Each of you gets a little ticker, a breaching countdown, that contains a little less than seven minutes' time. Sgt. Dayton had gone radio silent, but the pressure was still on: there were people waiting for you to get into position, to abscond with those hostages, and a wrong move could cost lives. As two of your unit scouted the tunnel, some of you cursed the absentee sniper under your breath while others tried to prep for the work ahead. This wasn't even the big time yet, and the pressure was already on.

For what it's worth, this whole training exercise is going to be rewarded with DP karma and tons of TV rating depending on how you performed, tallied up the end. For instance, Matches' crack disarming check netted bunnielab some TV rating. I'll do it all at the end of the mission.

Waiting on Franz and Nina for updates.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius

No worries man.
On another note, could we retcon a low force sustained detect enemies on Karl or Darius if Bell is amenable? That was a rather necessary caveat since neither he nor Darius have the perception dice to crack their stealth dice+concealment. Obviously it won't trip unless they become hostile, but that's when we'll really need it :)

Darius commed back to the team, directing himself at Bell and Branch "Y'all said 100 meters in right? I can't get a lock on a single one and I'm getting, uh, a bit worried that, uh, we passed them. Or we're surrounded. Probably paranoid, but yeah. Could you go astral again Bell?"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford

Karl drops into the tunnel and immediately focuses on pinpointing the threat with his enhanced senses. The disorientation of switching from the sweltering desert heat to the hot and muggy confines of the tunnel clouds his perception for a split second. He readies his Alpha and confirms the grenade launcher is stocked with Flash Bangs, since using high explosives in a tunnel would be a recipe for a some of the chunkiest salsa this side of Tunis. He raises his hand to indicate to Darius to hold for a second while the area is under his scan.

Visual Perception check
Modifiers:
Intuition 5 + Perception 6 (Mental Limit [5])
Perceiver is distracted -2
Perceiver is specifically looking for it +3
Active Enhancements (Vision Enhancement +3) +3, +3 Limit
Environment (Based on your description: Light Rain/Fog/Smoke, Dim Light) Thermographic vision removes these mods.
So: 5+6+(-2)+3+3=15
Tunnel visual perception check: 15d6t5 5

Audial Perception check
Intuition 5 + Perception 6 (Mental Limit [5])
Perceiver is distracted -2
Perceiver is specifically looking for it +3
Active Enhancements (Audio Enhancement +3) +3, +3 Limit
Spatial Recognizer +2, +2 Limit
So: 5+6+(-2)+3+3+2=17
Tunnel audial perception check: 17d6t5 7

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Bell
2/3 Edge
6/10 Stun

Come on, come on, what we got here, Bell mutters inwardly, trying hard not to claw her way to illumination in astral space.

Perception: 8d6t5: 4 hits
Assensing: 8d6t5: 4 hits

AmyL fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 18, 2014

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer
Assets: 24500¥
Rating: 15

IN THE FUTURE
"Of course, of course. If you vould haff a look for me, I voluld like ein pair of das ElektroschockHandschuhen... Schiesse, how do I say it, Zappen gloves? For das BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Put mein bill on zis."

Franz removes a credstick from his somewhat ratty jeans pocket, admiring his new suit, feeling the material hug his frame, but still leaving freedom of movement. He turns to the Chinese tailor, and bows deeply. "Xièxiè zhǔxí xiānshēng." He smiles at the two of them, waiting to see if they've got gloves for him.

RIGHT THE gently caress NOW
Franz sighs, blinking beneath the harsh sun. "A shame zey vouldn't let us bring explosives. Ve could use a shaped charge to kill ze bugs vis Überdruck. Ah vell." He cracks open the faceplate on his helmet, and takes a seat on the sand. "Zis heat is murder. Did zey not sink to add an Air conditioningk unit?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Karl also can't quite pick things out with his eyes, just a few glimmers in the dark, but his ears tell another story; scurrying, maybe 100 meters forward, but not quite in the tunnel. From the acoustics and his best guess, he'd say there were side tunnels, maybe filtration or access, where the creatures have nested. The sewer is dark and dank, with the smallest trickle of water along the floor. But if Karl had to guess, maybe six, seven? Scorpions are usually solitary creatures, which means this must be a nest: some of them would likely be younger, not fully developed. But a four-foot scorpion isn't much less of a threat than a six-foot lone.

You can blindfire if you'd like, or attempt to get closer.

You hunker down in the hot sand and project, your spirit moving from your body and into astral space. About 100 meters ahead, you can see the scorpions clear as day, in a smaller alcove under the sand, scurrying around from the sounds of intruders. They've got a nest built there, four in total. Two looks full-sized, with another two underdeveloped. As you fly closer, your enemey detection spell moves with your astral project across the sand, and there, maybe two hundred meters north of the scorpion nest, you see two Firewatch troops.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 19, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

THE FUTURE

Nina headed to wherever she was supposed to meet White. It wasn't that much further, and it could've been anyone going around randomly murdering people.

THE DESERT

Nina immediately tries to figure out other ways around and get a better idea of the security.

So, can I Matrix Perception even if I'm on the outer-net-thing? Or will that only show other things on said outer-net-thing? (Sorry, no book atm).

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

THE FUTURE

Nina headed to wherever she was supposed to meet White. It wasn't that much further, and it could've been anyone going around randomly murdering people.

Read me!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford

Karl cracks a light stick and attaches it to his heavy armor's chest on a gear loop. "Might want to cover your ears chummer, it's going to get real loud real quick." Karl fires a micro flash bang from the Alpha's underbarrel launcher at the area he sensed movement.

Agility 6 + Heavy Weapons 8 + Smartlink 2 -1 Range (Medium 100m) = 15 die
Flash bang micro grenade (10S -4AP, 10m radius blast).
Grenade launcher vs. scorpions: 15d6t5 3

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

THE FUTURE

After listening to what felt like a pre-recorded message from the future, Nina shrugs. "How clean does it need to be, and how soon? Context matters with all this stuff. Sure, some things would make it easier, but I don't need easy."

Nina pauses for a moment, looking around before looking back at White. "How much are you getting paid for this, exactly? This is far beyond the normal Desert Wars stuff."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

"The tape needs to be very clean, very fast. No metadata and focus only on the product being showcased. It'll be a helicopter. The challenge will be in capturing its properties in the right light without catching any unnecessary details that would give away where it was filmed. I'd expect you wanna take a few hours so no later than tommorow considering what we have going on tonight." Mr. White offers her the cable from his datajack to accept the info onto her commlink or deck or something. Also so he can speak very securely about the next bit. Assuming she accepts it he tells her this. "They're giving me a whole new life. And I mean more than just giving me a Corporate SIN and making me part of the family. A whole new life. And thats all I can tell you."

He transmits the faces and names of the 4 and 7 of clubs without sending any more than required from his deathcards to her. "We retired their friend earlier. These guys are spec ops, they'll be back for blood, most likely tonight. I got a date that I intend on keeping and hopefully that'll draw them out to the open. Watch over me please so I get a fighting chance. And thank you"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

You flit your eyes over the shapes as you close on them, grabbing at their auras with your magic. The two troops are ducked into a small alcove in the tunnel, out of sight, but spying around the corner with small cameras. They're Firewatch alright, 'wared-out soldiers. Both are rigged with Wired Reflexes, Cerebral Boosters, Muscle Toner and Augmentation, Cybereyes and Cyberears, Titanium Skeletons, the works. Each is at about 2 essence, decked in bioware with implanted Apple commlinks, and armed with what look like next-gen Ares assault rifles. Their suits are next-gen as well, high-tech body armor. And they look like they just heard the grenade shot from down the tunnel.

You can! Just glancing around, though, there isn't anything within 100 meters. You can look further, though, but you have a Noise rating of 3 for being in the middle of the desert and 1 more for anything beyond 100m.

Karl takes aim with his Ares. In the tight conditions, it wasn't ideal, but the stun grenade would more than shut down anything within range of it. He sent the round off, and it screamed through the tunnel, the shot echoing up and down the hollow tube in the ground. As soon as the grenade leaves the barrel, you hear the scorpions scurrying for safety, away from the noise. You can almost see them, too, shadows running up the tunnel. Then the grenade lands with a loud WHOOMP exactly one hundred meters away, a concussive force exploding into the tunnel. Even from this far off, you can feel the air shifting as the thing detonates. When the smoke clears, you can see the scorpions scurrying away from you along the base of the tunnel.

I need Initiative for AmyL, Bigass Moth, and Arkangelus.
Initiative
16 - 5 => 11 Nova Scorpion (Took 7 damage)
16 - 5 => 11 Nova Scorpion (Took no damage, scurried away in time)
15 - 5 => 10 Nova Scorpion (Took 8 damage)
13 - 5 => 8 Nova Scorpion (Took 8 damage)

If anyone else would like to be in combat, roll Initiative.

I'm house-ruling Run for your Life (RnG, p. 125) to require a sprint test and restrict movement a bit, because a 5 Init interrupt action to let you move up to your entire move speed seems sort of absurd. See this post for what I hope is a thorough explanation. If anyone would like to suggest an alternate way to handle this in the future, I'm willing to listen! Post it in the OOC thread (linked in this thread's first post).

It's the suit, exactly to specifications. Better, even, than anything you had seen before. This really was some next-gen stuff that Shiawase cooked up. The suit seems lighter than it should be, with a detachable hood and every last bell and whistle. It would fit comfortably under your clothing, or even Ares-issued full body armor, and it even has a small sensor array in it. You didn't have time to explore the technology too heavily, here in public, but those executives had certainly delivered. This would make a great thing to wear, that was sure, but you had already promised it to someone else...

At the Vashon store, the man behind the counter produce a nicely-cut, black leather glove. The stitching is all in metallic silver, and you can see the shock discharge points precisely embedded on it. He asks 600 nuyen for it, promising it is top of the line and easily concealed. As he describes the exact specification ("Sixteen thousand volts, delivered across eight discharge points. You can hit them with this glove at any angle, for sure."), Nina comms back that she's on the way to the Ares store.

By now the police had cordoned off the street as they were examining the crime scene. There were a few people loading the Three of Clubs onto a gurney and carrying him to the waiting ambulance, but it was clear from his lifeless expression that he wasn't coming back. In your new clothing and behind thick, reflective sunglasses that said "VaSHON" down the side (free with every Vashon Island purchase), you hit the streets as the sun went down, heading for the Ares storefront a few blocks away. You make it unmolested, the streets starting to come alive with the debaucherous night life it was so famous for, and find the place just as Nina walks up.

The three of you get together in an Ares clothing store several blocks from the Chat. The manager was closing up when you two arrived, but he seems to recognize you and answers the door. Unlike Vashon, it had a much larger selection. Even so, the store didn't seem equipped to handle custom orders in-house. They did, however, stock the whole Ares line for off-the-shelf purchase, so the manager happily slipped Franz and Tony new Rapid Transits 'on the house'. Well, actually, he suggested he'd bill them to Ares Europe. "After all," the man said, as he handed them over, "We can't exactly have Ares personnel wandering around the city looking anything but pristine."

The trio wandered down the street and talked while a myriad of display cases blinked and buzzed and whistled and chimed after them, littering their eyes with AROs. It would be hard to follow someone on foot in this crowd.

Nina could roll Knowledge: Security Companies or Knowledge: Ares Macrotechnology to get a pretty good guess of Mr. White's payment.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Karl Bradford

"Let's exterminate some bugs"
Initiative: 13+4d6 28

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius

Initiative - Tunnel Fight: 13+4d6 30

"No dice on the silent approach guys. Y'all might as well get down here. What's the word Bell?"

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Bell

Init Astral 14

Will post later. placeholder

AmyL fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 20, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Darius and Karl are up.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius

Darius calls on the wolf and immediately fires a shot (stick-n-shock) at the nearest scorpion he can see.

Attribute Boost: Agility #1: 9d6t5 3

Shot #1: Nearest Scorpion: 16d6t5 9

Accuracy is 7

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

While still at the place
Clean puts on the new Rapid Transit diamond, black with a red shirt and black tie. Nice He thinks to himself as he looks in the mirror. "How do I look?" he says to no one in particular. Then he heads out and gives Nina the business.

On the street
"So, we good then? If so, thanks for helping out. Oh and one more thing. 1.5k now, more after its done. For the matrix surveillance, any coverage you provide that gets me close enough to touch someone will net you a decent bounty. Depends what they have on them, if not I'll sort it when the nights done. And if you work out, I'll talk to my boss, see about getting you a decent stipend for your work. The old decker didn't work out, thats why I had to come to you. If you work out, it should be a decent business relationship. Also both pieces of business are separate affairs. Pick which one you are willing to do or both." Clean parts ways with nina toting his 2 Vashon Island garment bags.takes a cab back to the hotel, toting One holding his ace of spades jacket, the other his sneak suit. He comms his johnson [Nightcap? Also I got something for you. I'll stop by in say 30 minutes.] As he flags down a cab he asks Franz, "Hey you coming?"

I'll figure out how to handle the whole paying Nina mad nuyens deal as the game progresses, for now have my mere 1.5k nuyen! Pretty sure there'll be some ballers with thousands of nuyen on their persons in a credstick somewhere or a bank card. We're getting paid one way or the other. Also OOC: I'm getting paid what I wrote into my bio earlier.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

THE FUTURE

"Right. If I need something beyond what I can find easily, I'll fire things your way. How hush-hush is this?" Nina appears to be trying to figure out exactly how much White's getting paid for this sort of thing, if only to make sure she's not getting terribly undershot.

Ares + Intuition: Ares + Intuition: 8d6t5 1
Welp.

THE DESERT

Nina sighs as her looking around of the matrix area around them showed nothing at all. Best to stay outside, pull her pistol out, and prepare to shoot something if she has to. She's really hoping she doesn't have to.

• Locked thread