Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

qbert posted:

Did anyone else get the in-joke of that moment? Basically in real life the roles were reversed and Maron reacted exactly how Louie did and Louie reacted exactly how Maron did and they didn't speak for years before making up recently.
Yes, I too was acutely aware of the very sly role reversal between Louie and Marc, it felt like a big ol' easter egg for any fan of them in the know.

Of course, the latter part you mention is redundant - there literally was an episode about that last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Did anyone else get the in-joke of that moment?

I was more impressed with the oblique King of the Hill reference via the voice of Bobby and Louis CK having no rear end.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I don't think the attempted rape being ignored was entirely a bad thing. I feel this show has been striving for anything but the clichés and things we usually see on our screens, which definitely isn't a bad thing cos I like me some variety and REALITY once in a while, and while maybe it isn't the best message to send out, I think it's entirely feasible to have something like that happen and not have it be a big deal, especially considering the kind of rough n' tough relationship Louie and Pamela have.

A good season finale, I thought. I was giggling and chuckling pretty much through the entirety of their date, and that bathtub scene was a neat little quiet, serious moment between them. Getting rid of the red couch was also a nice little touch - to me, that symbolised a sort of new beginning for Louie. No more comparing his relationship with Amia to his with Pamela.

I really hope they last a while - they make an interesting couple.

Also, what was Pamela referring to when she asked Louie "Remember?" in the bathtub scene?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

bubblelubble posted:

Also, what was Pamela referring to when she asked Louie "Remember?" in the bathtub scene?

Season 2, "Subway, Pamela."

She said something like "Can I get you something to drink? Do you want to take a bath? Are you hungry?" and Louie didn't catch the bath part until later reflection.

moller fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 17, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bubblelubble posted:

In the second season there's an episode where she asks him to take a bath with him, but he doesn't realize what she was asking until he'd already said no and left.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

moller posted:

Season 2, "Subway, Pamela."

She said something like "Can I get you something to drink? Do you want to take a bath? Are you hungry?" and Louie didn't catch the bath part until later reflection.

PostNouveau posted:

In the second season there's an episode where she asks him to take a bath with him, but he doesn't realize what she was asking until he'd already said no and left.

Wow, I really should re-watch the first three seasons.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

bubblelubble posted:

Wow, I really should re-watch the first three seasons.

Their relationship had been set up as pretty complicated in the first two seasons, ending with the season two finale where she boarded a plane to France or whatever. She was gone from the entire third season so it's sort of easy to forget the build-up if you haven't watched the earlier seasons since they aired. I don't think any of the professional critics that I've seen took it into account.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

moller posted:

Their relationship had been set up as pretty complicated in the first two seasons, ending with the season two finale where she boarded a plane to France or whatever. She was gone from the entire third season so it's sort of easy to forget the build-up if you haven't watched the earlier seasons since they aired. I don't think any of the professional critics that I've seen took it into account.

I pretty much only remember the whole "wave to me", "wait for you?" scene at the airport, which I guess is a good summary of how complicated their relationship was/is in itself.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That whole Subway/Pamela episode is kind of a microcosm of the last two episodes. She offered to take a bath with him after he forced her to listen to a big heartfelt speech about how he felt about her, and she spends the whole lead-up to the speech doing that "gross, just please shut up," routine.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Subway is one of the great sequence in the show. The hobo / violin player is such a brilliant bit, and the scene with Pamela at the flea market is also amazing. Perfect balance in terms of drama, conflict, surrealism and straight up funny stuff in that episode.

Now that this is over though I can say I didnt like this season. I'm not disapointed because he obviously cooked something precious to him during those two years, and the show is still interesting, relatable and well shot, but I found the Amia arc painfully unfunny and it tipped the balance between drama and comedy too much for me. Evidently it took too much screentime when we could have had some resolution with Jane's issues at school and more time with Pamela for example.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

White Rabbit posted:

Subway is one of the great sequence in the show. The hobo / violin player is such a brilliant bit, and the scene with Pamela at the flea market is also amazing. Perfect balance in terms of drama, conflict, surrealism and straight up funny stuff in that episode.

Now that this is over though I can say I didnt like this season. I'm not disapointed because he obviously cooked something precious to him during those two years, and the show is still interesting, relatable and well shot, but I found the Amia arc painfully unfunny and it tipped the balance between drama and comedy too much for me. Evidently it took too much screentime when we could have had some resolution with Jane's issues at school and more time with Pamela for example.

That's interesting because I thought the Elevator arc was some of the best tv I've ever seen, and I like Pamela's Manic Bitchy Dream Girl storyline much less.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I also wanted more Jane.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
louie looks so gross

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I also watch Girls, and it's last season was a trainwreck. I was quite happy with this season on Louie. But I know a lot of ink has been spilled comparing the two shows, and part of me wondered if naked Louie wasn't a nod to Lena Dunham.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I spent most of the episodes thinking they were kind of ignoring the rapey bit (other than obviously mirroring that shot in part 2) but I think the last scene brought it all into focus for me. Louie thought she was just being purposefully standoffish and that if he pushed enough he could force affection out of her, and the bath scene shows that she genuinely really has trouble expressing that stuff, and not letting her be who she is is denying her her agency (as well as what he did being obviously wrong anyway). I hope this all makes sense.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bown posted:

I spent most of the episodes thinking they were kind of ignoring the rapey bit (other than obviously mirroring that shot in part 2) but I think the last scene brought it all into focus for me. Louie thought she was just being purposefully standoffish and that if he pushed enough he could force affection out of her, and the bath scene shows that she genuinely really has trouble expressing that stuff, and not letting her be who she is is denying her her agency (as well as what he did being obviously wrong anyway). I hope this all makes sense.
I genuinely hope this is what he was going for.

I don't think it worked super well, but this would still be nice.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Attempted rape can sometimes be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Why do you need the show to comdemn behaviour you find abhorrent?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

One of the many things that Game of Thrones has taught me.

As for Louie, this season left me pretty cold I must say. It was very well-acted and shot beautifully but it didn't click for me at all and even felt like a poor student film at times. The more obvious "stand up" bits ended up being the parts I enjoyed most when in previous seasons it was just the opposite. Overall quite disappointing after the amazing 1st & 2nd seasons and pretty good 3rd season.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Breadallelogram posted:

The point isn't "rapists can be nice people who get into good relationships" the point the rape scene and this storyline is making is that "even guys who seem/are otherwise decent can buy into a hosed up idea of sexual entitlement and masculinity, especially if they are insecure and have a lot of issues". Maybe not to the extreme that Louie went to in that episode, but I think that attitude will ring true for a lot of people's experiences and it's a territory that a lot of other shows would be afraid to cover or would represent in a less complex way.

They didn't directly address the rape scene because neither Louie nor Pamela would. We all know what happened and that what he did was wrong. His expecting sex when he got back (almost not letting Pamela leave) and then overcompensating and sulking was all an extension of the same hosed-up mindset.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The point isn't "rapists can be nice people who get into good relationships" the point the rape scene and this storyline is making is that "even guys who seem/are otherwise decent can buy into a hosed up idea of sexual entitlement and masculinity, especially if they are insecure and have a lot of issues". Maybe not to the extreme that Louie went to in that episode, but I think that attitude will ring true for a lot of people's experiences and it's a territory that a lot of other shows would be afraid to cover or would represent in a less complex way.

They didn't directly address the rape scene because neither Louie nor Pamela would. We all know what happened and that what he did was wrong. His expecting sex when he got back (almost not letting Pamela leave) and then overcompensating and sulking was all an extension of the same hosed-up mindset.

This pretty much, I mean I kind of felt that was the statement. You may like Louie or whatever but he had a super undeserved sense of entitlement toward Pamela and their relationship.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
I liked the AV club's point that louie walking through a modern art museum and snorting is, in this season at least, the pot calling the kettle black.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of felt that was the point, also he's in the Art exhibit himself.

edit:

Finished the season, wow. I really super enjoyed that last episode. Honestly looking at the season it feels like he made like several indie films and just put them on television which is kind of interesting.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 18, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Seriously though, I think the Art Button made me laugh harder than anything in this show to date.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Seriously though, I think the Art Button made me laugh harder than anything in this show to date.

I loving died.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that was pretty much amazing, here's something I'm wondering. I kind of wonder if in the future he'll start actually directing and writing movies again. I mean he's a good filmmaker. Like way better than average I'd say. So was this season his weird way of making like 4 indepedent movies? Anyone else think this?

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

bubblelubble posted:

I don't think the attempted rape being ignored was entirely a bad thing. I feel this show has been striving for anything but the clichés and things we usually see on our screens, which definitely isn't a bad thing cos I like me some variety and REALITY once in a while, and while maybe it isn't the best message to send out, I think it's entirely feasible to have something like that happen and not have it be a big deal, especially considering the kind of rough n' tough relationship Louie and Pamela have.

But "guy wins over girl by wearing her down" is pretty god-damned clichéd.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

SoupyTwist posted:

Cliché is an overused word that almost liberally could describe anything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I don't think it goes ignored, in part 1 they definitely allude to it again.

I really enjoyed this season for the most part, the final two episodes were simultaneously enjoyable and yet... Anti-Climatic after all the other arcs. Maybe it's because Pam parts 2 and 3 weren't what I was expecting. Distancing parts 1 and 2 between "In the Woods" maybe was a mistake.

Louie actually getting that bath was pretty nice though. :unsmith:

I'd rate the seasons 2 > 4 > 1 > 3.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 18, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

SoupyTwist posted:

Yeah I think the episode is kind of having it both ways which makes it so hard to read. There is AN amount of sweetness and mutual respect in their relationship, but there's also a lot of hosed up issues too. The cheesy music when Louie "wins" compounds this, by being both satirical and sincere at once, somehow.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
That final shot of the bath scene was pretty great.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 18, 2014

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

They didn't directly address the rape scene because neither Louie nor Pamela would.

I love how so many defenders of that scene were basically resting on the idea that its unfair to judge since it was just part one and we have no idea where it's going and Louis is making Louie a villain or whatever. Then he resolves the attempted rape in basically the worst way possible (he gets the girl? REALLY?) and a whole new set of justifications arise.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Jake Armitage posted:

I love how so many defenders of that scene were basically resting on the idea that its unfair to judge since it was just part one and we have no idea where it's going and Louis is making Louie a villain or whatever. Then he resolves the attempted rape in basically the worst way possible (he gets the girl? REALLY?) and a whole new set of justifications arise.

These things don't always get resolved in real life. I mean Pamela could press charges, she could stop seeing Louie, she could keep seeing him but get him to own up to acknowledge what a hosed up thing he did... But she won't. That's not her character. I don't think the episodes being in parts really means that they couldn't be judged on their own terms, though. Even the "Part" episodes tend to stand alone (all the Elevator episodes have their own point and arc).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jake Armitage posted:

I didn't say Louie was going to become a villain in parts 2&3, I said that the last two parts were going to redefine Louie and Pamela's relationship. Which they did. It just didn't change in the direction you wanted it to.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Yall know he didn't rape her, right?

I think this whole season was about being assertive and about how difficult but important communication is. He didn't tell the fat girl she was fat, he didn't speak Hungarian or even make as much of an effort to learn it as his little daughter did, he didn't know how to be assertive toward Pamela without being agggressive, he didn't know how to tell his parents what was going on as a teenager and he didn't tell his daughter any of the story he related during In The Woods, and he wanted more emotional connection with Pamela, and basically Louie sucks at communicating.

The season is also basically Louis CK saying "This is why I make jokes about everything."

friend of the family

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Randandal posted:

Yall know he didn't rape her, right?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I don't know who that is but I'm guessing he's pretty good at raping.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
no thats my expression toward your post

i mean there is a baseball player whos pretty good at raping but thats neither here nor there

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
that's my reaction to a truthful statement too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vogler posted:

Why do you need the show to comdemn behaviour you find abhorrent?
False equivalence, boss. I don't need the show to condemn behavior I find abhorrent. I just don't enjoy when it acts as if those same bahviors should be rewarded.

Again, maybe there was a message that went over my head, but it really looked like trying to rape a girl means she'll finally give in after you've been persuing her for years, and you'll take a bath together and she'll validate you as a person by accepting who you are, even if she's mean.

I do not, under any circumstances, think this was the message Louie was trying to send. Not at all. But that's how it came across.

• Locked thread