Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Opopanax posted:

Hey, 16 year old, it's all good. I have no defense for the myspace thing though :smith:

Hasn't Bucky's WWII escapades been retconned at this point to have been a teenage killing machine? Like, he was doing straight up wetworks for the government because Captain America was the clean image US hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

redbackground posted:

Does he actually murder children?

Nope. After he head-splats the pimp, he adopts the girl and it's adorable as hell. :kimchi: He also has no clue that the protagonists' kid exists, if I remember correctly, he just took a contract to kill Marko and Alana.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hasn't Bucky's WWII escapades been retconned at this point to have been a teenage killing machine? Like, he was doing straight up wetworks for the government because Captain America was the clean image US hero?

Pretty sure that the whole Winter Solider arc retconned Bucky to 16 at the start of the war so by the time Cap got frozen he was 21.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure that the whole Winter Solider arc retconned Bucky to 16 at the start of the war so by the time Cap got frozen he was 21.

Right, but what I'm saying is, Bucky wasn't simply the blue and red dressed sidekick spouting quips and punching Nazis, he was assassinating and murdering waves of them because Cap couldn't get blood on his hands.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Dr. Strange is still a huge rear end in a top hat, someone post the panel from Defenders where he scares Red She-Hulk.

On the flipside, he's a bit more understanding of people like Deadpool and whatnot than some of the heroes who are considered more noble.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

On the flipside, he's a bit more understanding of people like Deadpool and whatnot than some of the heroes who are considered more noble.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Dr. Strange but selling his soul to gain enough power to annihilate a bunch of people who's only crime is trying to save their own world is completely in character. His first run featured a series of issues where something is going to destroy the earth and to stop it he unleashes something even more horrible that either kills or scares away the original threat, and then this new monster tries to destroy the world. It's like a grandiose version of the old woman who swallowed a fly.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
And in "The Oath" he has to choose between saving Wong's life and giving the world the universal cure for all illness, and he chooses to save Wong. Which is completely in-character, really.

That series also has the "but in others, Wong is my master" scene which I'd post because it's thread-appropriate but I don't have it handy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heresiarch posted:

And in "The Oath" he has to choose between saving Wong's life and giving the world the universal cure for all illness, and he chooses to save Wong. Which is completely in-character, really.

That series also has the "but in others, Wong is my master" scene which I'd post because it's thread-appropriate but I don't have it handy.

Oh god The Oath is great, there's a saying that every comic writer has a Dr. Strange pitch, but they don't get made because Dr. Strange doesn't sell. They should make more OGNs of the best of those pitches because you can keep those on print longer to make back the cost of the writer and artist and then I get more Dr. Strange.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Strange in the early comics seemed to spend a lot of time bumbling through and invoking elder gods without knowing who or what they really were. The Ancient One was apparently a terrible teacher. And judge of character, what with the whole Baron Mordo thing.

Thinking about it, the major practitioners of Magic in Marvel all seem somewhat dickish. Strange, Mordo, Doom, Druid...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goatface posted:

Strange in the early comics seemed to spend a lot of time bumbling through and invoking elder gods without knowing who or what they really were. The Ancient One was apparently a terrible teacher. And judge of character, what with the whole Baron Mordo thing.

Thinking about it, the major practitioners of Magic in Marvel all seem somewhat dickish. Strange, Mordo, Doom, Druid...

Marvel heroes who have a ton of knowledge tend to be huge dicks, look at the science masters, Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Henry Pym, Dr. Doom again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there a list in which Doom doesn't excel? I'll let Doom answer that.

FF#9

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 18, 2014

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list in which Doom doesn't excel?

Softest skin?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

kdrudy posted:

Softest skin?

Being strangled by Doom is like having the finest of silk wrapped around your throat with the crushing force of DOOM.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

kdrudy posted:

Softest skin?

Fantastic Four (Vol 3) #67

I don't know. Doom's pretty good with skin.

funtax fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 18, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Not holding grudges would be my bet.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Heresiarch posted:

Here you go, from issue #5.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 18, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list in which Doom doesn't excel? I'll let Doom answer that.

FF#9

One of my favorite things about Hickman's F4/FF run is how every piece of dialogue to come out of the Mad Thinker's mouth is literally mad thinking.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list in which Doom doesn't excel?

There was a scene in... I think it was Loebdell's run on Excalibur, where Doom is assisting Kitty Pryde in some complicated magical thing. And she says "my god, is there anything you can't do?"

and he answers "Knit. I find it too repetitious."

"... I was joking."

"I was not."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You know, it says a lot that he'd admit that at ALL.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bloodly posted:

Thor #61

Anytime Doom admits to not being perfect it's a doombot. Probably.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I mean, as hilarious of a mental image as Doom knitting is, it's not like it's a major gap in his knowledge or anything. Dude just doesn't like it.

That's actually a lot of why I like Doom in a nutshell- he's weirdly humanized and likable given his outer image. He's really not even evil, just kind of an egotistical jackass with a grudge against Reed Richards.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, as hilarious of a mental image as Doom knitting is, it's not like it's a major gap in his knowledge or anything. Dude just doesn't like it.

That's actually a lot of why I like Doom in a nutshell- he's weirdly humanized and likable given his outer image. He's really not even evil, just kind of an egotistical jackass with a grudge against Reed Richards.

It depends on who is writing him really. He varies from complete and total monster to a major rear end in a top hat who only cares about himself and keeping his people happy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Has he ever been a complete irredeemable monster since the Silver Age? I always figured he was kind of like Magneto where he was pure evil for a while, then when writers stepped back and actually looked at his character they decided he was way more interesting as an okay dude.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Has he ever been a complete irredeemable monster since the Silver Age? I always figured he was kind of like Magneto where he was pure evil for a while, then when writers stepped back and actually looked at his character they decided he was way more interesting as an okay dude.

He was pretty awful in Waid's run.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SALT CURES HAM posted:

funtax posted:

Fantastic Four (Vol 3) #67

I don't know. Doom's pretty good with skin.

That's him giving his completely innocent first love over to demons and then wearing her skin for power. Waid was to Doom what Morrison was to Magneto(who made Magneto so bad it had to be retconned into another character pretending to be him).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:stare: Christ on a loving bike, Waid.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
More Doom panels! In Doomwar, Doctor Doom attempts to steal Wakanda's largest vibranium stockpile and has to submit himself to Bast in order to access it.

That's some drat good Doom.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's also complete bullshit, but leave it to a goddamn cat to buy it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, as someone who likes Doom the not-complete-monster, I'm still much more inclined to take that as Doom managed to bullshit the god of seeing through lies than I am as Doom legitimately having altruistic motives.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, as someone who likes Doom the not-complete-monster, I'm still much more inclined to take that as Doom managed to bullshit the god of seeing through lies than I am as Doom legitimately having altruistic motives.

I don't know,everything seemed pretty hunky dorry in Emperor Doom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
During Dark Reign, Doom had a fantasy sequence where he killed off the rest of the Cabal, except for Loki(girl form at the time) and Emma Frost, whom were chained Leia-style to his throne. Dude's a jerk and in it for himself, he's just not pure Red Skull evil.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yet more evidence that cats are evil.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RandallODim posted:

Yes, the most interesting Doom is the Doom who truly believes he has altruistic motives, because his intellect is matched only by his ego and he's actually convinced himself that he's the hero of his own life story. He's the ultimate product of an ends-justify-the-means mentality, the monster who wears a cloak of humanity. Waid just decided to express that more literally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So like the Doom from Children's Crusade then...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Doom is a monster, he's just a charismatic one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

During Dark Reign, Doom had a fantasy sequence where he killed off the rest of the Cabal, except for Loki(girl form at the time) and Emma Frost, whom were chained Leia-style to his throne.
That seems awfully out of character. :shrug:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yes, but bullshitting a god is much more badass than being the salvation of the world or some crap.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Skwirl posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Dr. Strange but selling his soul to gain enough power to annihilate a bunch of people who's only crime is trying to save their own world is completely in character. His first run featured a series of issues where something is going to destroy the earth and to stop it he unleashes something even more horrible that either kills or scares away the original threat, and then this new monster tries to destroy the world. It's like a grandiose version of the old woman who swallowed a fly.

Isn't this basically Reed Richards as well?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If Doom could cast a spell that could cause Reed Richards to say "You too" whenever a waiter tells him to enjoy his meal, and to do so would require him to torture a child to death, he totally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

I took it that Doom saw this one future as being the only perfect one because it's his vision of an ideal future. To anyone else it would be another dystopian state, the same as any of the other terrible futures marvel likes to have. But because Doom believes in himself, he believes that one is okay.

Hell, there might have been another future not significantly changed from the status quo of today, maybe a little better, but if there were wars, famine, etc, he would write it off as a flawed future in favor of one where he robbed everyone of their freedom to pursue his own vision of perfection.