Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

I still don't get it. What are people voting for there? It's a neat idea, but there's no action going along with it. Isn't it just A?

Edit: F, that is, not A.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

dog kisser posted:

DO NOT LEAVE THE MEDECINES WITH ANYONE ELSE REGARDLESS WHO IT IS THEY ARE MORE VALUABLE THAN EVERYTHING ELSE WE HAVE

Second in value to the Sandals, but still super important.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Switching my vote from A to E, Zybourne Clock.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Theglavwen posted:

I still don't get it. What are people voting for there? It's a neat idea, but there's no action going along with it. Isn't it just A?

E is specifically we have another theory why we're being searched over and over, so it's effectively F with justification. I assume it affects our response to Avram as well.

edit, F, not A

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 18, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

for people that think there isn't much danger in this stuff, and there is no way this stuff can be detected, i'd like to confirm that we can totally sense our dagger even in the shadow of the mountain. we just need to strain a bit

zebanetha also had no problem sensing witch stuff inside the temple, the biggest presence in zepath

and zebanetha is not Blooded and probably has a different way of finding that poo poo

we almost never use the potions or anything. we are probably never going to actually sell them. for all intents and purposes, they have a very low effective value to us right now unless people earnestly believe we will be selling them in baitel (not a good idea imo, probably best to funnel those through avram somehow) or that we will need them now when we haven't needed them after a number of years fighting monsters on the frontier

edit: i'm not saying it's definitely the potions, but ditching them with the innkeeper or burying them is probably perfectly alright. we can always get some vengeance or something if the innkeeper runs off with them, or avram does. i think avram would prefer and long and profitable arrangement with us though, particularly if we suggest this type of journey will be regular for us

edit2: i'd also consider the possibility of a significant punishment for this, like execution

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 18, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Counterpoint: Your batting average is .239

Everseen
Apr 27, 2010
B.

There's no reason to bring the medicine since we'll be in Baitel and the priests run that place, they're not really violent last I checked. Also Zeb could sense our charm in the temple, so we really shouldn't tempt fate with this stuff.

We were told that we should leave our stuff with our donkeys by Indor, but I doubt she's personally been to Baitel and this seems a little rough. We might as well check our contraband like all the other merchants. I mean if they steal from us in the shadow of Baitel they might get away with it because its contraband, but its not like he knows how valuable our stuff is, no real reason for him to risk it.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I have some spare time, I'll run a count.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Counterpoint: Your batting average is .239

:smith:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
. Put them in a box, seal the box, etc. Maybe store something we have that's more obviously valuable with it, so there's an easier target for theft than a few clay pots.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mike Gallego posted:

we almost never use the potions or anything. we are probably never going to actually sell them. for all intents and purposes, they have a very low effective value to us right now unless people earnestly believe we will be selling them in baitel (not a good idea imo, probably best to funnel those through avram somehow) or that we will need them now when we haven't needed them after a number of years fighting monsters on the frontier
Their value is the lives of those we care about, and in their ability to let us challenge more dangerous foes with confidence. I don't think anyone plans to do nothing but hunt Minotaurs for perpetuity, and once we've ditched the pilgrim train and decided to go adventuring a bit before returning home we may well find ourselves in situations where they're complete gamechangers.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Imperialist Dog posted:

I have some spare time, I'll run a count.

Ah I finished.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ralith posted:

Their value is the lives of those we care about, and in their ability to let us challenge more dangerous foes with confidence. I don't think anyone plans to do nothing but hunt Minotaurs for perpetuity, and once we've ditched the pilgrim train and decided to go adventuring a bit before returning home we may well find ourselves in situations where they're complete gamechangers.

sure are but think of this

zebanetha sensed indor's stuff no problem. these guards are able to sense our dagger probably, hell we can ourselves

this poo poo is very forbidden in baitel

bringing it in there seems the kind of thing that would create a situation where we'd want it

we can send Paebel or another Melachim worshiper Ball to stow it at the inn, and not tell the innkeeper what it is. avram literally just learned we have it and so has not warned this dude about it.

i think it'd be pretty safe there

edit: tl;dr I would argue that bringing it into Baitel or trying to continue on with it is more likely to create a situation where we lose it (and some extra) than the alternatives.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
A. Bury them. I can't see us needing them in Baitel anyway.

Numeron fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mike Gallego posted:

zebanetha sensed indor's stuff no problem. these guards are able to sense our dagger probably, hell we can ourselves
He sensed Indor's charms, which are much more obvious and which we don't have with us. Even then, he indicated we'd probably be okay if we left them with the donkeys and didn't carry them physically on our person in Baitel.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ralith posted:

He sensed Indor's charms, which we don't have with us. And even then, he indicated we'd probably be okay if we left them with the donkeys and didn't carry them physically on our person in Baitel.

the dagger has a presence much as the charms do though i don't see the distinction as far as that and those go

the normal potions might not be a problem at all though

Avram has worked this route a long time, if he thinks a safehouse is better, than I'm going with that. Zebanetha trained in Baitel, sure, but he's probably not been there for awhile and was probably not trained much in their security procedures.

Either way, leaving them on the donkeys does not solve the problem of being checked at every tower. Hell, this may not either, but it has a good chance too.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Zybourne Clock posted:

E. Imagine for a moment that you are a highly blooded guard from Baitel. The only people you ever meet are from Baitel or the neighboring cities. Sometimes they are tall, mighty folks with a strong presence. Sometimes they are regular-sized common folk who lack a presence. That is how life has always been for you. You've never questioned why this is the case, it just is.

Although we can't exclude that there are other factors at work that control whether a person develops a presence or not, we do know that our Balls seemed to develop them after they started fighting minotaurs. With two exceptions, all of our Balls, Blooded and unblooded alike, have presences. Maybe they are racist/classicist assholes who truly believe that Mighty Men can do no wrong, but to me it seems more likely they are confused by the presence of our common Balls. They probably think they're smuggling artifacts under their clothes, because to them the idea of an unblooded person having a presence is bizarre.

I don't think this is a thing we can or should fix.

Makes sense.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Changing vote to E - Plan Zybourne Clock

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting B. Have someone sneak them out now so we won't have to smuggle them out personally later.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Ah I finished.

Oh yeah? Well, I'M done up to A Terrible Person! AND it's alphabetised!

(I gotta get back to work now so I'll leave it to you though.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Honestly at this point I'm far more concerned for our sandals than our medicine. The medicine is expensive, the sandals are literally priceless. And they probably count as Holy Relics.

Sending them back to that inn isn't an option either. Even if Avram's friend is honest, they'd have to pass all those checkpoints to get to the inn. And if something was pinging their radar and Pabel was the only one there, they'd surely find everything and bad stuff would happen to Pabel.

C

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ralith posted:

Right. Here's my question: Do you expect to need them in Baitel? You've voted for, I think, a variant of F (since Zybourne didn't specify any action to take). If you don't expect to need them in the city, then the concern is that we might lose them. There are, I think, three ways that could happen: They could be stolen, they could be misplaced, or they could be found and confiscated. ArbitraryTA has put it well in IRC: "I think I would rather lose the poo poo than have it confiscated."

Whether or not the potions/talisman are why we're being searched, we are bringing contraband into a holy city. That's a problem and I'd like to not do it. We can either bury it (and I suspect we'll be able to find it again) or place it at a known safehouse (where, if it is 'lost', we have someone we can intimidate into finding it again). Either option means we won't be found out by the guards, and we won't be bringing witchly contraband into a holy city that posts 8 foot tall guard captains at every tower on every road.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Crudus posted:

Speaking of non-El contraband, maybe it's Ish's kill ring they're honing on.

The ring never had any presence. Also Ish gave it to us knowing we'd be going to Baitel. He's not that dumb.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Oh yeah? Well, I'M done up to A Terrible Person! AND it's alphabetised!
Oh god no, don't do that

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Starting on the update.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ralith posted:

He sensed Indor's charms, which are much more obvious and which we don't have with us. Even then, he indicated we'd probably be okay if we left them with the donkeys and didn't carry them physically on our person in Baitel.

To be fair her charms are apparent :colbert:, Zab would have to be dense not to notice.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

I forget, did Zeb say to leave the charms in Zepath or what?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

DCBomB posted:

I forget, did Zeb say to leave the charms in Zepath or what?

literally everyone who knows about them did

well except maybe indor, but i think even she advised us not to like bring them into the city itself. or just never commented

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
I wonder why Kadmonim "sorceries" are banned.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Anyone else think it's weird they're finding "something" wrong but aren't searching us, if it's actually the medicine?

Like if they can detect something is up, why can't they detect that it's coming from our general direction, or our general area?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Vavrek posted:

Right. Here's my question: Do you expect to need them in Baitel? You've voted for, I think, a variant of F (since Zybourne didn't specify any action to take). If you don't expect to need them in the city, then the concern is that we might lose them. There are, I think, three ways that could happen: They could be stolen, they could be misplaced, or they could be found and confiscated. ArbitraryTA has put it well in IRC: "I think I would rather lose the poo poo than have it confiscated."

Whether or not the potions/talisman are why we're being searched, we are bringing contraband into a holy city. That's a problem and I'd like to not do it. We can either bury it (and I suspect we'll be able to find it again) or place it at a known safehouse (where, if it is 'lost', we have someone we can intimidate into finding it again). Either option means we won't be found out by the guards, and we won't be bringing witchly contraband into a holy city that posts 8 foot tall guard captains at every tower on every road.

The sandals are probably contraband as well. Do you really want to have them misplaced?

Y'know what if any priest interrogates us tell them we have showed those items to a Melachim and they just laughed and shook their head at us (It's true, sup Azz)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You journey on from the guard tower on the third day, a short time later Avram comes beside you and says in a quiet tone "Benevolent Patron. Bringing witchcraft to the House of El is unwise, we need to get rid of the goods Indor gave you. Kadmonim sorceries are banned and other such witchcraft. We could send ...send it to the inn a few days back with one of your other men, just beyond Baitel's border. I know the innkeeper, he would watch the goods while we are in the city for a nominal fee, he can be trusted. Men sometimes leave serfs or other contraband there."

You agree with Avrams idea. You speak to Paebel and tell him "We think that the delays are caused by Indor's medicine. Avram is friends with the owner of the inn three days past. Leave the medicine with him and catch up with us." Paebel nods in agreement "Fair enough, I'll be back soon."

Your group moves significantly slower than Paebel will alone. It will probably take him a day and a half to get to the inn and two days to catch up so... you will only be parted for 3 and a half days? Paebel sets off through farmers fields and over grazing land, off the main road.

You journey on.

The next afternoon you encounter a guard tower. This is the fourth day of your trip into the domain directly governed by Baitel, four down, twenty six or so to go? The tower has a strange bow mounted atop it. As you approach the tower, five soldiers leave the tower and block the road. The one in the middle is a little over eight feet tall and has six fingers on each hand. The man asks you "Who are you? Why do you have that creature? What is your purpose here?"

You assure the guard that all is well "We are Pilgrims from the edge of the world, Zepath by the sea. We make this Pilgrimage and bring this Beast for the Glory of El and to remind men of what still terrorizes the world lest they forget." The guard nods and says in a tone which sounds vaguely suspicious "Very well. We need to inspect your goods, unpack your donkeys."

El dammit!

Your group begins to unpack the donkeys. The guards look through your goods, they search a few of the pilgrims and a few of your common Balls, but leave you and your Mighty Sons alone. Three wasted hours later the soldier says "Very well, you may continue on your way" The man waves you on but sounds vaguely unhappy with the results of his search.

Avram comes to you and says "Benevolent Patron I... I am at a loss. I do not know why they continue to delay us?"

Paebel is a day behind you, though he will be going a bit slower since he is moving off the main road. Do you want to send someone to catch up to him and tell him to come back, with Indor's medicine?

1. Do you?
A. No. I will let Paebel dump Indor's medicine and come back as planned.
B. Yes. The medicine is not what is causing the searches and I want to have it on hand, I send someone I trust to get him.
C. Something else. Fill in.

Buying enough food to support a group as large as yours is not cheap and food prices around here not cheap either. There is not much in terms of wild game around here. You are wasting nearly three hours every day on these inspections and this extra delay is going to cost you. Not enough to bankrupt you, riches still lay at the end of this trip... but arriving in Baitel without any silver on hand would be inconvenient to say the least.

You journey on. The next day, you arrive at a village which lay beside the road. As you know, El's clergy, the House of El govern this entire area. They have the authority to get you past the check points without having to waste three hours each time. If you can convince them to help. If they were not searching for Indor's medicine... what else could they have been searching for? Something you may not realize you have? Something one of your Balls or Pilgrims has? Something you need fear if discovered, or something harmless?

2. As to the inspections I...
D. Grin, curse under my breath and bare it. Continue to Baitel, suffering through ridiculous delays each day.

E. I go to the village shrine of El, tell them what has been happening to me and invite the priests to scrutinize our caravan carefully to find out what is causing the delay.
F. I go to the village shrine of El, show them the banner Zebanetha gave me and ask them if they can speed me along, we are official pilgrims after all, come on!
G. I delegate the task to Jobe and ask him to try his best.

H. Enough of this nonsense. No more roads. We are going cross country. We will go slower than going on roads, but faster than having to deal with these check points, besides, this way we don't risk detection! Of um. Whatever it is?

I. With my Mighty Sons I look through the goods MYSELF! Could Avram or one of the pilgrims actually be smuggling and I don't realize it?

J. I have another theory on why we are being stopped that I would like to investigate. Fill in.

K. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/P..._Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Vavrek posted:

I'd say the odds of us needing the potions in Baitel are about as good as us needing them in an innocent archery contest in the middle if Zepath. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh hey, update!

1. B

2. F +G, go with Jobe to talk to the village shrine of El

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 18, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. A

2. E+F+I Basically I want to do a full inspection and then ask the House of El to let us be on our way. We have old men, and do not wish any of them to pass.

edit: vote changed, see below.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 18, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
edit:

editted Plan Mike Gallego.

Mike Gallego posted:

1. A

2. E+F+I Basically I want to do a full inspection and then ask the House of El to let us be on our way. We have old men, and do not wish any of them to pass.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. A. No. I will let Paebel dump Indor's medicine and come back as planned.
2. K = I then F and search Balls. Search through goods myself then go to village priest and ask for help to speed us along.

Also tell pilgrims that if you are smuggling something, or Indor asked you to bring something, or you have a charm, that you need to tell me and we'll hide it and grab it on the way home. The guards at Baitel will be able to sense such things in our caravan.

I bet some of our Balls are carrying Idor's charms.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1.B
2.E+I

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Plan Mike Gallego.

I modified it a bit.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A
E

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Told you it wasn't the healing stuff.

Let's Gandalf up this nonsense. Split the caravan up into 7 parts. Each will have a 7th of the pilgrims and donkeys and a Mighty Man or Jobe with them. Leave camp at staggered intervals. At best, we'll be less odd and be searched less often. Even if the fascists keep searching us at every checkpoint, we'll spend less time at the checkpoints because each group will only spend 1/7ish of the time being inspected and the rest will be traveling. Cover more ground by spending the same amount of time traveling, but with some groups time shifted (leave/set up camp earlier).

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
1. A Might as well play it safe at this point, our merchant probably has cause for concern.
2. K:
Just out of sight of the next checkpoint, split the caravan in half (it doesn't matter how, random is fine). Send one half in, wait three hours, then send the other half in. If only one half gets delayed, take note of who was in that half, then divide that group in half, have one of the halves wait and then go through with the other half, repeating at each check point to break it down to which individiual(s) are causing it. If they delay both halves, randomize the split and try again.

If it's a single individual, it'll take no more than seven further checkpoints to identify them using this approach.

Plan LLSix - It's simpler and less vulnerable to someone actively trying to hide.
Vote changed, see later post
Plan LLSix after all :v:

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 18, 2014