Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hooray! Another Bad Review! Oh happy-dappy day! I actually didn't realise that you had one that you put up last week, so I'm watching that one.

Sonichu really is the most..special comic, and I feel like you're one of the best people to review it. There's something ever-so entertaining about reviewing/describing what's happening in truly awful art, something that I haven't had the chance to do since I reviewed Alfie's Home, so your descriptions of Chris chan's awful drawings crack me up.
Gal-pals? Is Chris-chan a stereotypical gay guy from an 80s/90s teen movie or does he just talk like one? Also, I had no idea that he went to malls and held signs advertising his sexual availability. How does a person like this even exist?

I can't remember whether you mentioned it before, but is Mary-Lee Walsh a real person in Chris-Chan's life?

Mary Lee Walsh was the dean at the community college that he went to. She told him to stop creeping on random girls and he flipped his poo poo and makes her out to be the villain.

Plus don't call Chris-Chan gay. He will also lose his poo poo over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Jontron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9srMlojDg

This one had some good laughs.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

drat, it never occurred to me that I never explained Mary Lee Walsh, I probably should have covered that in the Subepisodes review. Anyway, she's going to be the main villain for the rest of the comic, so I've got time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Testekill posted:

Mary Lee Walsh was the dean at the community college that he went to. She told him to stop creeping on random girls and he flipped his poo poo and makes her out to be the villain.

Plus don't call Chris-Chan gay. He will also lose his poo poo over that.

Oh trust me, I don't actually think Chris-Chan is gay, and calling him gay is a major insult to gay people.

But thanks for explaining Mary Lee Walsh - it just seemed like an overly specific name that was probably beyond the scope of Chris-Chan's imagination, so I assumed she must have been someone in real life, much like the other people in the comic.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Ronk a Donk posted:

NChick's latest video, a blow-by-blow commentary of "True Lies," is up on The Mary Sue.
Cracked up at the Daria joke.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Another new Previously Recorded from Rich and Jack, this time covering E3.

Jesus, RLM has been just pumping out content lately, between this and Space Cop.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Brad's got a new Cinema Snob out, this one about cult classic The Stepfather.

Honestly, the video's really heavy on his "I'm a film critic who reflexively hates horror films" schtick, which I know is the whole Snob gimmick, but it just never produces funny jokes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Yeah Brad's gimmick has kinda worn out his welcome, partially because he doesn't know what a real snob would sound like. I would prefer if he just went full DVD-R hell and reviewed stuff as Brad Jones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Another new Previously Recorded from Rich and Jack, this time covering E3.

Jesus, RLM has been just pumping out content lately, between this and Space Cop.

They were kind of losing me when all they did was complain about how everything is derivative these days and there are no more surprises but then totally redeemed themselves with the Dynasty Warriors comment. Can't stay disappointed at someone who appreciates those dumb games.

But yeah, I'd love to visit the golden time when every game was a fresh, innovative thing that did everything different a lot of people seem to think all games should be. It certainly wasn't the previous generations of consoles, where everything was a top-down shooter or a side scroller adventure game. I'd argue it wasn't until the PS3 did consoles see all sorts of genres get games made for them and there's more variety now in gaming than there ever has been.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There never was such a time, video games started out as weird little abstractions of stuff like tennis and just, uh, memetically grew from there. Every game rehashes something from previous games, usually on purpose.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tropes vs. Women In Video Games returns with Women as Background Decoration, Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPSrwedvsg

Don't have time to watch the whole thing, I imagine I'll have a lot to say about it, but regardless, expect the usual "Can't Handle This" reaction on the internet today.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jimbot posted:

They were kind of losing me when all they did was complain about how everything is derivative these days and there are no more surprises but then totally redeemed themselves with the Dynasty Warriors comment. Can't stay disappointed at someone who appreciates those dumb games.

They kind of have a point so? The Triple A games that get presented at E3 are pretty much as expensive as blockbusters these days, which has the same effect on creativity it has for Hollywood.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ronk a Donk posted:

NChick's latest video, a blow-by-blow commentary of "True Lies," is up on The Mary Sue.

Sorry if this is common knowledge or not, but isn't she not 'with' TGWTG anymore? I vaguely recall hearing that she was, but her stuff still runs on the site.

I really dug her earlier comparative review of Independence Day vs War Of The Worlds.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if this is common knowledge or not, but isn't she not 'with' TGWTG anymore? I vaguely recall hearing that she was, but her stuff still runs on the site.

She's still part of TGWTG. A lot of their members are just also running smaller sites now too. Pretty sure Chez Apocalypse is still a Channel Awesome site.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Brad's got a new Cinema Snob out, this one about cult classic The Stepfather.

Honestly, the video's really heavy on his "I'm a film critic who reflexively hates horror films" schtick, which I know is the whole Snob gimmick, but it just never produces funny jokes.

If there's one thing I wish Brad would stop doing, it'd be making every single comment in his reviews a reference to something else, without providing a context. And it's literally every sentence. "Character x is (thing from movie x), just as well they didn't (thing from movie y)" and so on and so on. I mean you can do that from time to time, but...all the time? That's getting dangerously close to something Seltzer and Friedberg would do. "Ha! It's funny because I recognise that reference!"

It's a shame, because he could be very entertaining, and often is in DVR hell etc, but it's like he's just stuck in a rut, trapped by his own formula.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Welshy presents a good bye video in light of Blip axing his channel

I'm still bummed he's leaving, but I'm glad he did this. As he himself pointed out, his last good bye video last year was depressing to the point of worrying about the guy's state of mind. This one was on a much more positive "It's been fun, but onward and upward" note.

On a semi-related note, him talking about his work with Sad Panda really getting him into being a content provider made me go poke around and see if Panda has put anything up lately that I missed. Much to my surprise, Panda has been removed from the site entirely. When the heck did that happen? I remember last year he did one last video for his silly show Forget About It and said he was going to stop, as he promised himself he'd do when he lost interest. I thought it was talking about the show. But did he retire from making videos too?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Julien is very successful on his French youtube channel, so he's been focusing on that. So if y'all speak French, check him out. ;)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Wasn't that Benzai or did both of them go the same route?

Didn't know that Panda's stuff got axed from the site, that kind I sucks since he's one of the funniest (not that that's very hard to be) people on there.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

watho posted:

Benzaie has also been focusing on his French stuff, but he's still on the site and sometimes puts up a video. He's just been removed from the front page because his updates had become so rare. At least, that's why I think he's not on the front page anymore.

He's gonna be the guest on the next Transmission Awesome, it's supposed to be out this weekend, so I'm guessing we'll learn more about what's going on with him.

Honestly, Channel Awesome desperatly needs a new pointperson for HR/PR. Their communication has left a lot to be desired lately. No announcement of Sad Panda leaving, the talent pickup was only mentioned in the stinger of one Nostalgia Critic video, the unclear stance on Patreon and other crowdfunding by their producers, the Mike Dodd fiasco... The list goes on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Entertainers don't know poo poo about PR and HR stuff. Who knew.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Don't forget Blistered Thumbs too

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Who was Mike Dodd?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

the Mike Dodd fiasco...

What's the Mike Dodd fiasco?

*looks up the Mike Dodd fiasco*

Jiminy Christmas, did I ever seriously want to be part of this site at one time?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bad Wolf posted:

the unclear stance on Patreon and other crowdfunding by their producers

Why would they need a stance on it? Are they being paid by CA for being on the site? I like the idea of Patreon, because it shows that most of the folks who do this sort of entertainment are finally realizing what everyone else has known for a decade: ad-supported content doesn't work.

I didn't know about the Mike Dodd thing until right now, and I'm currently watching his video about it. Long and short, he was fired and wasn't told about it directly until two weeks or so after-the-fact. :wtc:

Somewhat unrelated: I really dislike the Action-Figures-On-All-Surfaces motif all these reviewers seem to have in their living spaces. Ew.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

watho posted:

Didn't know that Panda's stuff got axed from the site, that kind I sucks since he's one of the funniest (not that that's very hard to be) people on there.

Both of them. Julien was removed quietly since he was focusing on youtube and hadn't posted for a long time, but he's far more successful on youtube anyway. :)

Bad Wolf posted:

Honestly, Channel Awesome desperatly needs a new pointperson for HR/PR. Their communication has left a lot to be desired lately. No announcement of Sad Panda leaving, the talent pickup was only mentioned in the stinger of one Nostalgia Critic video, the unclear stance on Patreon and other crowdfunding by their producers, the Mike Dodd fiasco... The list goes on.

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, once Holly was let go she was never really replaced. We're not informed much better than you guys.

MisterBibs posted:

Why would they need a stance on it? Are they being paid by CA for being on the site? I like the idea of Patreon, because it shows that most of the folks who do this sort of entertainment are finally realizing what everyone else has known for a decade: ad-supported content doesn't work.

The Patreon thing is weird. They wouldn't let me link to mine under a video or Suede post a video he'd made discussing the pros and cons of the service. They basically thought it was like e-begging because--and I'm not quite sure on this--I don't know if they fully understood what it was. I explained it was like a Kickstarter, where you offer rewards, but I was told they wouldn't let people link to their Kickstarters as well. When I mentioned their Indiegogo, they told me it was "executive authority." Last I heard they told us we could do a 30-second bumper at the end of a video, so...

I guess the answer is we can have them, they just won't link to them. It is a little unclear, yes. But I can say that Patreon has been working splendidly for me. I've stopped using midrolls since I reached my first milestone, so it's pretty beneficial for the audience too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
SFdebris reviewed Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. He didn't like it very much.
http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/films/transformers2.php

I'm curious what he'll say about the third film to be honest. It's still poo poo and runs way, WAY too long but I don't remember it having two dozen comic relief characters or the loving offensive illiterate black twin robots.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 17, 2014

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, once Holly was let go she was never really replaced. We're not informed much better than you guys.

When the heck did that happened? She's been one of the public faces of the site/company for a long time. That's surprising.

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't know about the Mike Dodd thing until right now, and I'm currently watching his video about it. Long and short, he was fired and wasn't told about it directly until two weeks or so after-the-fact. :wtc:

Somewhat unrelated: I really dislike the Action-Figures-On-All-Surfaces motif all these reviewers seem to have in their living spaces. Ew.

I've never seen this guy before at all, but it still is a rather lovely way to let him go. Also did not realize Blistered Thumbs was dead.

Man. All this drama going on behind the scenes. Am I the only one who just watches the videos of people I like and never notice this stuff except in discussions like this?

cubs2084 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 18, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cubs2084 posted:

Man. All this drama going on behind the scenes. Am I the only one who just watches the videos of people I like and never notice this stuff except in discussions like this?

I would be completely unaware of any drama and assuming all these reviewers live happy, fulfilling lives if I didn't have this thread to keep reality in check.

But on the other hand, it's not really my business to know anyway. You shouldn't need to give up your privacy to post funny videos badmouthing Transformers movies on the internet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm shocked BT lasted that long. It was pretty pointless, and they never had enough people to really branch that site off.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

The Patreon thing is weird. They wouldn't let me link to mine under a video or Suede post a video he'd made discussing the pros and cons of the service. They basically thought it was like e-begging because--and I'm not quite sure on this--I don't know if they fully understood what it was. I explained it was like a Kickstarter, where you offer rewards, but I was told they wouldn't let people link to their Kickstarters as well. When I mentioned their Indiegogo, they told me it was "executive authority." Last I heard they told us we could do a 30-second bumper at the end of a video, so...

I was in the process of writing that such a mentality made no sense, but then I realized that it might be a case of wanting to project an image for the site. Look at Youtube: while you get ads, the majority of the more popular series end with something like "Hey, if you like my videos, please give me a thumbs up and subscribe!". If all the TGWTG videos end with a "Hey, here's a link to give me money", it might reflect badly with some viewers.

But then I realize that whatever message it sends, it is e-begging, and there's nothing wrong with that. We're long past the era where people tolerate ads to the levels they'd need to for the producers to be happy, and if the producers want to make their videos a full-time thing, you're going to have to e-beg.

cubs2084 posted:

I'm going to sound like a jackass over it, but I think a non-zero percent of the enjoyment I've gotten out of the site is the drama. It's essentially the kind of drama that's inevitable between people who work with each other, combined with the fact that it tends to go violently public/viral when it happens, and you've got the traits in some of them that make it even more volatile.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 18, 2014

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

But then I realize that whatever message it sends, it is e-begging, and there's nothing wrong with that. We're long past the era where people tolerate ads to the levels they'd need to for the producers to be happy, and if the producers want to make their videos a full-time thing, you're going to have to e-beg.

I don't see it as begging if you're offering rewards for it. No one's asking for something for nothing, nor are they taking anything away from anyone who chooses not to pledge. I could just as easily just talk about my Paypal all the time and cut out the middle man.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

E-begging is just so overused now, few people know what it really stands for.

MisterBibs posted:

It really grinds my gears that almost every web-reviewer thinks that he just HAS to show all of his nerd credentials in the background, like comic books, action figures, VHS tapes, huge-rear end posters, etc. RLM's style, on the other hand, is more subtle and inviting.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Or you could just have a bunch of bullshit in the background that actually has no bearing on anything, because you're just using whatever room in the house is free, ha.
Amusingly enough I have a few books just behind my head that are decidedly queer lit, as well as being period pieces, but that's just a happy coincidence.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

I don't see it as begging if you're offering rewards for it. No one's asking for something for nothing, nor are they taking anything away from anyone who chooses not to pledge. I could just as easily just talk about my Paypal all the time and cut out the middle man.

Also, content creators generally commit to X amount of content produced per period for such and such money raised. Really, it's more a way of formalizing donations--an arangement between viewers and content creators to ensure a more stable relationship between both groups :D

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

PiedPiper posted:

E-begging is just so overused now, few people know what it really stands for.

It really grinds my gears that almost every web-reviewer thinks that he just HAS to show all of his nerd credentials in the background, like comic books, action figures, VHS tapes, huge-rear end posters, etc. RLM's style, on the other hand, is more subtle and inviting.

Those nerds genuinely do live that way. Red letter Media's sets look so good because they are literally sets which the guys know how to construct professionally and have the space for. There's really no comparison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Patreon is basically the only way any of these reviewers are going to continue their jobs in the future, because as mentioned earlier, the ad model for this kind of stuff is collapsing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FlamingLiberal posted:

Patreon is basically the only way any of these reviewers are going to continue their jobs in the future, because as mentioned earlier, the ad model for this kind of stuff is collapsing.

Like a black hole, all the ad revenue being condensed into a point roughly the size of a minivan, so dense, so massive that not even light can escape. This hungry void draw all towards it until eventually there is nothing left. It is the end of all things.

And that black hole is Pewdiepie.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

cubs2084 posted:

When the heck did that happened? She's been one of the public faces of the site/company for a long time. That's surprising.

I've never seen this guy before at all, but it still is a rather lovely way to let him go. Also did not realize Blistered Thumbs was dead.

I had to look to see what kind of announcement there was on blistered thumbs being shut down, 1st result on google lead me here, a former editor sounding all :smug:

I'm surprised Mike Michaude is still in control(unless that has also changed) considering how badly he drops the ball on site issues/launches

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BT shutting down was news to everyone. Not counting article writers, BT people didn't even know until the announcement was put on the BT front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I never went to the site, so I literally had no idea it shut down 6 months ago. You'd think they'd have made some announcement on the main TGWTG page.

• Locked thread