Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Wanderer posted:

(Another useful example of Internet commentators getting high on their own bullshit is the Irrational Games closure. Many people to this day think it's because Bioshock Infinite and/or the Burial at Sea DLC sucked (arguable; I disagree but respect your opinion) or didn't sell (untrue, it sold six million), because jaded rear end in a top hat Internet commentators want to believe that. It's because Ken Levine shut the place down on purpose so he could go do something else, but no, the closure is seen as proof supporting said jaded assholes' argument that B:I is the worst thing since stomach cancer.)

It proves the argument that Ken Levine is a selfish rear end in a top hat though.

But man capcom should stop loving around with handing their series out to terrible western studios and tweaking street fighter 4 for the eleventh time and make dragons dogma 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did Resident Evil 6 really move five million copies? I had no idea RE was still that popular a series. What's the average sales figures for a game like that (a fairly old franchise, A/B-quality title)?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

FordCQC posted:

"Image," in the context you've been using it, isn't the same thing as reputation.

Um, they are inseparable and are one and the same.

*pedantic post incoming*

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

It proves the argument that Ken Levine is a selfish rear end in a top hat though.

But man capcom should stop loving around with handing their series out to terrible western studios and tweaking street fighter 4 for the eleventh time and make dragons dogma 2.

Clearly they're only going to continue the slash and burn treatment of IPs if they're only in minor financial trouble while RE and Monster Hunter continues to rake in money. If investing in only the worst devs still nets you a safe return, why do anything else? People will always lap up the same Street Fighter and next Resident Evil after 6, right?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
edit:^^^they literally said they want to expand inhouse development, because the quality of outsourced stuff is not up to snuff. I mentioned that on the last page.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

why is Capcom bankrupt?
Not singling you out, because a lot of people do this, but is it that hard to atleast read the last page?
This thread is occasionally informative and worth it imo.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Hmm.

Trite, played out joke about deviantly loving something small and cute? Check.

Unnecessarily condescending/combative attitude/demeanor? Check.

Separation from reality? Check.

Congratulations! You're wrong!
You really know how to make friends.

Doggboat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 18, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Capcom developed game announced for TGS.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Beef Waifu posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Capcom developed game announced for TGS.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

As long as they make dragons dogma 2 its cool

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Pierson posted:

Did Resident Evil 6 really move five million copies? I had no idea RE was still that popular a series. What's the average sales figures for a game like that (a fairly old franchise, A/B-quality title)?

Resident Evil is by-far Capcom's most lucrative franchise, their biggest hit in the West (which today is the #1 market for video games, then Europe where it's also popular) and probably their one rock in the catalog they can rely on to pop a quarterly number. RE5 sold over 8M copies worldwide across PS3/360/PC (this is Capcom's best-selling game in company history, literally) and RE6 did indeed sell over 5M across those same platforms and this was with some absolutely negative reviews and venom from RE fans at the time. Even RE4 sold over 7M copies across PS2/Wii/GC so RE has been pretty popular for almost a decade now.

Capcom is lucky to have had it LONG before zombies became a pop culture craze meaning they were able to establish and cement it in gamer's consciousness when they are looking for another zombie fix and heard this series was pretty good. So, to answer your question, a series like RE that is over 18 years old selling those kinds of numbers is absolutely incredible given how many series crash and burn within five years.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

So, when Destiny releases later this year, are people going to buy it based on a new, untested ip, or on Bungie's reputation? I can almost guarantee that "From the makers of Halo" will appear on the box.

I'd imagine they're going to buy it based on multiple factors, most of which will have to do with Activision being past masters of the multimedia full-court advertising blitz. Bungie's track record will certainly play a role, of course, but Activision could sell ice cream in Antarctica.

Here's the thing, to revisit an earlier point of yours:

But why would you, as a publisher, make decisions that will actively alienate your core users, at the risk of poor word-of-mouth/press?

The people you think are the "core users" aren't. "Core users" are the silent majority, because that's where the money comes from.

You absolutely want the crazed, lunatic fringe in your fan community because they do a lot of work for you, but they're a double-edged sword. For every fan Capcom has like Tom Cannon, who founded SRK and organized the Evolution tournament, they've got another few fans like the guy who runs Cammyfan.org (gently caress me, that guy is still updating, burn the Earth).

Fans are also notoriously fickle and change-resistant, and this is a constant throughout all areas of creative endeavor. If you want to work in a creative field, which video games ostensibly are, it is crucial to ignore your fans whenever possible. By all means, express gratitude and appreciation, but at no point should the fans feel like they've got a hand on the stick. You want to keep moving, doing what you have to do to keep your company solvent and your employees paid, and if that pisses off your fans, then that's unfortunate but that's how life's got to be. Sometimes you don't get to take the entire party with you.

This is a serious problem with online discussion, in that fans of all kinds vastly overrate their importance to creators and their role in the creative and business processes. Their role is to offer a product; your role is to consume it. That is where this relationship ends, full stop, and the sooner you understand this the better.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The new Devil May Cry sold like poo poo because of loving insane amounts of bad PR, not because nobody likes DMC (all the games up to and including DMC4 were successful).
Bad PR? More like bad reviews.

Kind of surprised they're doing badly though, especially after SF4's release. They have a ton of strong IP.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 19, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

Ace Attorney 6 probably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

A lot of games journalists were super high on it and assumed any criticism of it was from 'butthurt nerds afraid of change' or some nonsense like that. It has an 86 on metacritic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ace Attorney 6 probably.

Yeah probably, Ace Attorney's on its big run right now and the Meiji Era game seems like a spin-off rather than a full blown thing. I'd say maybe a new fighter or god-willing DMC, but even Dragon's Dogma 2 would be cool.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

I wonder if we could make enough to buy Capcom under the guise of crowdfunding Mega Man Legends 3.

Probably not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah probably, Ace Attorney's on its big run right now and the Meiji Era game is due for a trailer.
As I understand it, there's the Meiji Ace Attorney from Shu Takumi but there is also Ace Attorney 6 in development by Takeshi Yamazaki and the AA5 team. I dunno how this latest Capcom news affects things, but there's a chance you could see trailers for both at TGS.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

I said come in! posted:

Whatever happened to the Mega Man X series?

Capcom happened. X7 and x8 happened. They went 3d, tried to introduce an aggravating teenage character, and sucked.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah probably, Ace Attorney's on its big run right now and the Meiji Era game seems like a spin-off rather than a full blown thing.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban is straight from Takumi and he declares it to be part of the main series, so he might be looking to make it a trilogy in its own right. I expect to get more info on it at TGS and possibly AA6's announcement. I just hope Capcom's financial trouble doesn't keep these games from western releases.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gibbo posted:

Capcom happened. X7 and x8 happened. They went 3d, tried to introduce an aggravating teenage character, and sucked.

Hey hey hey! Do NOT put X8 in the same pile as X7. :colbert:

X8 was a good game, but there was no recovering the series after X7 completely destroyed it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OneEightHundred posted:

Kind of surprised they're doing badly though, especially after SF4's release. They have a ton of strong IP.

As been mentioned, Capcom isn't struggling nor in any financial peril. They just adopted a new policy regarding share-buying that will both give them a capital infusion (not an indication of bad things) and someone getting a louder voice in the shareholder meetings. They do have strong IPs and honestly had a smarter strategy than most Japanese companies when it came to making North America #1 (not saying much). This isn't THQ, Midway or even Eidos all over again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suspicious Cook posted:

Dai Gyakuten Saiban is straight from Takumi and he declares it to be part of the main series, so he might be looking to make it a trilogy in its own right. I expect to get more info on it at TGS and possibly AA6's announcement. I just hope Capcom's financial trouble doesn't keep these games from western releases.
I think Nintendo will try to get those games localized since AA5 met expectations and Nintendo is looking for any third party support with 3DS that they can get. They made a point of it to talk about Layton/Wright in several Nintendo Directs, and not just as part of a sizzle reel, so they consider both series to be important.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I think after AA5 met their expectations it's safe to say Capcom is gonna support western releases in the future. I mean the fact they distributed digitally only probated helped out quite a bit so they will probably be taking that approach in the future as well.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Nintendo will try to get those games localized since AA5 met expectations and Nintendo is looking for any third party support with 3DS that they can get. They made a point of it to talk about Layton/Wright in several Nintendo Directs, and not just as part of a sizzle reel, so they consider both series to be important.

Maybe just everything being eShop only has me nervous. I recall seeing someone mention Nintendo stopped Capcom from releasing the rerelease of the first three games on Xbox but I can't seem to find an actual source on it. If that's true, it sounds like they do consider it a valuable series.

(Phoenix for Smash Bros.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Doggboat posted:

edit:^^^they literally said they want to expand inhouse development, because the quality of outsourced stuff is not up to snuff. I mentioned that on the last page.

I'll believe it when they deliver on this. Finally releasing the Layton Wright game to the west after several years isn't going to prove to me they won't pull another DmC when they get comfortable.

Also are those RE6 numbers including the later PC version? Because steam kind of kills the impact of highest grossing game when a sale hits.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Layton Wright being released just now is Level 5's fault, not Capcom's.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Beef Waifu posted:

They didn't even change the voice actors. What the hell took so long? Did they just set the dialog down with a single unpaid intern and tell him to take out all the U's Americans don't use?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
How profitable was RE6? I know it sold a lot of copies, but that's not enough if they're pissing money away during development (BS:I, for one).

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Bovineicide posted:

How profitable was RE6? I know it sold a lot of copies, but that's not enough if they're pissing money away during development (BS:I, for one).

Bioshock Infinite pissed money away? :psyduck: Obviously they didn't piss away enough because the game just screams Cut Content even more than MGS2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

And Level 5 is notorious for this too. They do it with every Layton game.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, I think after AA5 met their expectations it's safe to say Capcom is gonna support western releases in the future. I mean the fact they distributed digitally only probated helped out quite a bit so they will probably be taking that approach in the future as well.
AA6 will also be not too much of a hassle to make for Capcom, because a lot of the assets have already been made for AA5, so the majority of work will be in the scenario writing and the design of new characters/assets. I'm sure we'll get a full trilogy out of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bring back Breath of Fire.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bovineicide posted:

I didn't find any actual numbers, but I did find this quote:

Capcom posted:

"As a result, [Resident Evil 6] did not meet with our projection," the company's statement reads. "In contrast, Dragon's Dogma became a greater-than-expected hit product in the domestic market, which has high profitability, and became an unprecedented million seller in the recent years as an original title."

Looks like the Dragon's Dogma fans might be seeing more from the series if that's the case.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Zain posted:

The D-Gauge was a timer and punished you for actively doing what 4 other games in the series encouraged you to do, and that was be a loving dragon.

Yeah, that too, but I was referring more to the post-game thing where based on how little you used it you became like 1/8192 of a dragon or some poo poo and that unlocked doors that weren't unlockable the first time around.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Cook posted:

Looks like the Dragon's Dogma fans might be seeing more from the series if that's the case.

Good, I expected RE6's success was just another DMC2 selling well mostly because of better games like RE4. But I'd love to see another Dragons Dogma after the first game and the Dark Arisen expansion.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TaurusOxford posted:

Hey hey hey! Do NOT put X8 in the same pile as X7. :colbert:

X8 was a good game, but there was no recovering the series after X7 completely destroyed it.

In fairness, nobody bought any X games after X1. Maverick Hunter X was insanely good and everything people could practically want, but lmao

Even funnier than Megaman fans with illusions of grandeur are the people saying that Nintendo should buy the company. When was the last time Nintendo released a PC game? What's Nintendo's online strategy? What's their opinion on competitive balance? (And these are the same people who talk poo poo about Capcom for releasing incremental updates to games year after year, good lord)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Broken Loose posted:

In fairness, nobody bought any X games after X1. Maverick Hunter X was insanely good and everything people could practically want, but lmao

Yeep. There's a reason why Mega Man 2 and X1 get all the nostalgia. No one cares enough about the other 50+ titles.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Suspicious Cook posted:

Maybe just everything being eShop only has me nervous. I recall seeing someone mention Nintendo stopped Capcom from releasing the rerelease of the first three games on Xbox but I can't seem to find an actual source on it. If that's true, it sounds like they do consider it a valuable series.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Considering how there are PC and iOS ports of the games, I don't think Nintendo has the ability to stop Capcom porting it around. It probably just hasn't moved around that much because the fanbase is already on the DS line and the games fit well with the systems.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
According to Capcom's total sales unit data Megaman only moved about 30,000,000 units across 131 games and it doesn't actually specify which games made the money. Compare this to say Street Fighter with 35,000,000 spread across 77 titles, Resident Evil with 61,000,000 across 89 titles, and hell even DMC's 13,000,000 million is pretty impressive with the 19 titles that exist of it. Only reaching 30 mil while having the highest number of titles released is not a good thing.

Then again the fact that the Megaman games made 30 mil across all 131 games is shocking enough to me.

Here is the data for those curious

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't really care about getting new Mega Man games. Especially since the developers who worked on the last few platformers are both self-publishing a game that looks to be in the vein of the Zero/ZX games and collaborating with Inafune's company on a Classic-ish game.

e: And it's really funny that there are people who are still really mad about the MM games that got canned. Capcom just has to put up a Mega Man pencil case or something on their webstore, and articles about it will have comments sections filled with people indignant that Capcom is "mocking" them.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 19, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Mingus Dew posted:

Yeah, that too, but I was referring more to the post-game thing where based on how little you used it you became like 1/8192 of a dragon or some poo poo and that unlocked doors that weren't unlockable the first time around.

Oh yeah, the doors were kind of cool, but it still wasn't really a real BoF game to me. It's hard to really get into the game.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Mingus Dew posted:

The d-ratio is affected by completion time, number of saves, number of times fleeing (I think), and a few other things. The Counter is only a small piece of that.

Zain posted:

Oh yeah, the doors were kind of cool, but it still wasn't really a real BoF game to me. It's hard to really get into the game.

It wasn't a BoF game because it didn't suck. For a long time, BoF 2 and 3 were among my favourite JRPGS. Then I stopped being a manchild.

Dragon Quarter was the closest thing to a new IP capcom had done in a long long time. If they hadn't branded it as a breath of fire game, it probably would have done better instead of being directly compared to something it wasn't trying to be.

This is turning into the "Dragon quarter was a good game. Really." thread.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Gibbo posted:

This is turning into the "Dragon quarter was a good game. Really." thread.

I won't lie, I still sunk close to 50 hours into it. :smith:

• Locked thread