Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

a place in the middle to go visit, so you can meet Mario and Luigi and their daughter.
Wait, did you just equate Luigi with Ingo the evil stable boy? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PrBacterio posted:

Ingo's design is kind of Luigi-esque.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
ingodeathstare.gif

e;

It even has epona(s) in it

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Incidentally, don't Mario and Luigi make an actual bona fide cameo in Link's Awakening?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

PrBacterio posted:

Incidentally, don't Mario and Luigi make an actual bona fide cameo in Link's Awakening?

Mario did as Tarin and Luigi did as the Cucco dude in the mountain range.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Zelda U should have ranchers based on Wario and Waluigi.

They're both the evil one and they both try to gently caress you out of stuff.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
LA was awash with mario references, from the goombas in the 2D sections to the portion of the game you spend attached to a chain-chomp.

Also a reminder that Talon Literally wears a Bowser bolo tie, in case there was any doubt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hedrigall posted:

Zelda U should have ranchers based on Wario and Waluigi.

They're both the evil one and they both try to gently caress you out of stuff.

They basically did that in MM.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PrBacterio posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious, really.

Luigi is become death, the destroyer of karts.

Mr Phillby posted:

LA was awash with mario references, from the goombas in the 2D sections to the portion of the game you spend attached to a chain-chomp.

Also a reminder that Talon Literally wears a Bowser bolo tie, in case there was any doubt.

On of the many reasons it's in my top 3 Zelda games ever.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
OoTs hyrule field was just as bad if not worse than TPs. Just as empty, maybe more so. TP was just too segmented. I actually like big empty sections with little to do but look around, I enjoy roaming around worlds and seeing things, admiring the landscapes. I thought Termina was too dense. There were no peaceful sections to just sit back and take in the world, there were always enemies and things to fight/holes to stumble into. It didn't feel like I was exploring. The empty spaces add some atmosphere.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Febreeze posted:

OoTs hyrule field was just as bad if not worse than TPs. Just as empty, maybe more so. TP was just too segmented. I actually like big empty sections with little to do but look around, I enjoy roaming around worlds and seeing things, admiring the landscapes. I thought Termina was too dense. There were no peaceful sections to just sit back and take in the world, there were always enemies and things to fight/holes to stumble into. It didn't feel like I was exploring. The empty spaces add some atmosphere.

MM definitely felt tense but the subquests, especially in the city, made up for it imo. Also aren't most areas mostly enemy-free every time you kill the boss?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Febreeze posted:

I loving hated Hyrule Field in OoT because it seemed to exist solely as a way to make me waste my goddamn time when I could be doing dungeons.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

precision posted:

I loving hated Hyrule Field in OoT because it seemed to exist solely as a way to make me waste my goddamn time when I could be doing dungeons.

As silly as it gets later on(but you get a horse for that reason), the field really does make the world feel bigger the first time you played it when it came out. The size might also have the double function of cleverly railroading you to the Zora/Town/Kakariko because of the stalfos. For its time, I do think it was a pretty well handled idea. It just doesn't hold up.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Favourite Zelda overworld? Is that what we're doing?

I honestly don't know which I would pick for my favourite or worst overworld... Plenty of good answers for both really.
OOT Blew my mind as a kid so I don't think I can ever really objectively assess the game, the main field was empty but I still get that sense of a wide open meadow and I like how the world is put together around it.
Majora's Mask has arguably the best overworld, very well designed and detailed like everyone always says. If anything it feels a bit too designed?
I'm actually quite fond of TP's overworld too, more events took place out in the fields and I pretty much never used the fast travel.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I just remembered some talk a few pages ago about wanting to play a game as Ravio where you snuck around in dungeons in order to get items; I want to play a game as the Happy Mask Salesman (Or his assistant so the salesman remains ridiculously creepy) and you have to go get all of the masks that he has.

The last mask would be Majora's, of course.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I like the Link's Awakening overworld the best since it's basically one huge labyrinth. The puzzling never stops.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I like the Link's Awakening overworld the best since it's basically one huge labyrinth. The puzzling never stops.
If we're going by that metric, then it should actually be Skyward Sword, since the "overworlds" are actually kind-of sort-of dungeons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I like that one and the Oracle ones because they're on a grid and I can jot down "A-7: Hookshot" or "J-17: Bomb wall".

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

If we're going by that metric, then it should actually be Skyward Sword, since the "overworlds" are actually kind-of sort-of dungeons.

An overworld connects things together, which SS didn't really do(apart from Skyloft, which was charming but empty as gently caress).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Skyward Sword's overworld would have been the best if there was no sky, and instead the ground world was joined together intricately like the world in Metroid Prime.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

Skyward Sword's overworld would have been the best if there was no sky, and instead the ground world was joined together intricately like the world in Metroid Prime.

Like they said they'd do in the first place.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm playing Spirit Tracks for the first time, this is a pretty good game! I was put off by Phantom Hourglass but this one is way better.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurtofan posted:

I'm playing Spirit Tracks for the first time, this is a pretty good game! I was put off by Phantom Hourglass but this one is way better.

It's a significant improvement over Phantom Hourglass. Even its repeating dungeon is much less annoying since it's easier to skip sections and you don't have that annoying time limit mechanic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Geostomp posted:

It's a significant improvement over Phantom Hourglass. Even its repeating dungeon is much less annoying since it's easier to skip sections and you don't have that annoying time limit mechanic.
On the other hand, it has the most cumbersome overworld ever created in a Zelda game. Phantom Hourglass had its issues but at least you could warp to any of the quadrants from anywhere and if you wanted to go directly somewhere you could just you know directly go there.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Music Theory posted:

The last mask would be Majora's, of course.

I'd like to see a game where the villain of the piece is Majora, actually. Like, the evil wizard or whatever who made that mask. A prequel, obviously. I think that could be as worthwhile a starting point as "let's overexplain why there's always a Link and a Zelda and a big angry goon who wants to kill them both" was for Skyward Sword.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Skyward Sword is the Metroid Prime 3 of the Zelda series. Great new controls but with a segmented map. That said, Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda because the entire ground section is a dungeon that's constantly changing. SS pulled off so many different gameplay styles and there's not a single part of the over(under?)world that drags. Except fighting the imprisoned three times.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd like to see a game where the villain of the piece is Majora, actually. Like, the evil wizard or whatever who made that mask. A prequel, obviously. I think that could be as worthwhile a starting point as "let's overexplain why there's always a Link and a Zelda and a big angry goon who wants to kill them both" was for Skyward Sword.

Noooo don't ever explain where Majora's Mask came from! The mystery is what makes it so interesting! :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really recommend using Ocarina to hack Skyward Sword and get rid of as much of the annoying poo poo as possible. You can use it to disable many of the Fi alerts, prevent items you've already picked up before having a text description pop up a second time, speed up the text to display instantly, and make your bird permanently in boost mode. It goes a long way for making the game more enjoyable.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JordanKai posted:

Noooo don't ever explain where Majora's Mask came from! The mystery is what makes it so interesting! :argh:

Mystery? No, players hate mystery. They want all the information fed directly to them at all times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dudes. Like, what if Ganon put on Majora's mask? Holy poo poo!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I really recommend using Ocarina to hack Skyward Sword and get rid of as much of the annoying poo poo as possible. You can use it to disable many of the Fi alerts, prevent items you've already picked up before having a text description pop up a second time, speed up the text to display instantly, and make your bird permanently in boost mode. It goes a long way for making the game more enjoyable.

Please note that this is also possible if you're playing on a Wii U so you have no excuse for ever putting up with Skyward Sword's repetitive bullshit ever again.

Edit: Unless you're playing on a Wii mini, in which case, you have my condolences.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hedrigall posted:

For as much as they advertised the sky, it really didn't add much. Aside from the main village, you had maybe three or four other tiny landmasses with one attraction. In Wind Waker, the sea adds exploration since all the areas are just islands. Here, the sky is just an empty filler delaying your trip to the next main land area.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
For all the poo poo Twilight Princess gets, it still has the best combat in any Zelda game.

In a strange way, WW/TP/SS sort of parallel MP1/2/3, the first being the exploration game with rough edges, the second being a more polished but less shiny version of what came before, and the third being really good but somewhat missing the point of the first two.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There should never be a prequel or sequel to Majora's Mask. It's a game that works specifically because it's weird and unique and a lot goes unexplained. It's a trip into madness, a fever dream.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually think in terms of the combat, Skyward Sword's was pretty good. Doing the boss run to get the Hylian Shield really made me appreciate how much work went into designing the bosses, particularly Ghirahim. I mean, the Darknuts in Twilight Princess were good, but I don't think it had the best combat.

Skyward Sword's flaws were more about flavor stuff. Taking place at the beginning of time was just too abstract, the overworld was a series of disconnected zones, and for some reason the talking spirit sword has the personality of a robot. It's not nearly as bad of a game as people say it is. It's probably my least favorite of the 3D Zeldas, but it still had a lot of charm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

For all the poo poo Twilight Princess gets, it still has the best combat in any Zelda game.

In a strange way, WW/TP/SS sort of parallel MP1/2/3, the first being the exploration game with rough edges, the second being a more polished but less shiny version of what came before, and the third being really good but somewhat missing the point of the first two.

MP as in Mario Party?

EDIT: VVVV Oh poo poo I completely forgot that Metroid Prime was a thing. :downs:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 19, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ChaosArgate posted:

MP as in Mario Party?

not sure if you're joking but he's talking about Metroid Prime.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I think he means Metroid Prime, but I'd argue that 1 is better than 2 in a lot ways beyond being shinier.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

I think he means Metroid Prime, but I'd argue that 1 is better than 2 in a lot ways beyond being shinier.

And so was Wind Waker over Twilight Princess. Better dungeon design, better overworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm a WW defender but I don't think I'd call its overworld better than, well, anything.

• Locked thread