Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I just had a basic SHIV dodge SIX thin men shots in a single turn.

Someone give that robot a goddamn medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Attestant posted:

Thanks, that seems like a good resource to get started with. I'll just tweak me a training wheels Normal-Classic hybrid mode, and see how that goes for me.

(edit) Are there any bonuses that affect the player on Classic? I've heard that at least Easy and maybe Normal has things like increasing accuracy bonuses for missing a lot. Is this true, and does it apply for Classic?

Here's a breakdown of exactly what changes on what difficulty level:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Difficulty_(EU2012)

To answer your question: yes, the game does cheat for you on Easy and Normal. Classic levels the playing field.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Coolguye posted:

That stuff is NOT controllable from the config files, fwiw.

Well sort of. You can pump up values for normal to classic values (or something in between) and get the training wheels because it's 'normal' as far as the game is concerned, but your aliens will still be tougher.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lima posted:

There's a LW uninstaller in the Xcom folder somewhere.

Pretty sure I did it from the Windows "Programs and Features" control panel like any other app if you don't want to go hunting for the executable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm downloading the game and excited to try out Long War. It's been years since I've been this giddy about a game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I'm downloading the game and excited to try out Long War. It's been years since I've been this giddy about a game.

If you're just jumping into XCOM now, don't play Long War. Play through the game vanilla first to get your feet wet. Long War makes the game brutally difficult, so you'll probably want to be able to beat the game on Classic first.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Plus the longer you hold off, the more features LW gets :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you're just jumping into XCOM now, don't play Long War. Play through the game vanilla first to get your feet wet. Long War makes the game brutally difficult, so you'll probably want to be able to beat the game on Classic first.

I finished X-com enemy unknown on impossible on PS3 back when the EU got it free. I think I can start Long War off on easy or normal.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Normal Long War doesn't have gambler's luck, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I finished X-com enemy unknown on impossible on PS3 back when the EU got it free. I think I can start Long War off on easy or normal.

Oh, well in that case go right ahead!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dyzzy posted:

Plus the longer you hold off, the more features LW gets :v:

By the time you get in, the war will be even longer.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Goddamn I suck at this game. My entire squad died at the base assault mission, time for a restart. Also is it a mod or cheat to unlock all the second wave options on OS X?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh, well in that case go right ahead!

I got through 3 missions losing only one rookie in the process. :getin:

I do love the larger squad size at the start and the multitudes of equipment. This is just what I needed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Deltasquid posted:

I got through 3 missions losing only one rookie in the process. :getin:

Long War has a traditional difficulty curve unlike other X-Com games' reverse difficulty curve.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Is the current Long War 9a release stable? The OP recommends 7 but there's no link to it in xcomnexus.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Sweetling posted:

Is the current Long War 9a release stable? The OP recommends 7 but there's no link to it in xcomnexus.

The OP is very outdated. Aside from a couple bugs (hotfixes are listed in the change log for the next build - one of them is VERY important as they managed to get the alien escalation working in reverse), 9a is the best and most stable version. Version 10 is going to bring a boatload of new features, though, and they seem to think they've also managed to nail a few vanilla bugs in the process.

After giving it some thought, if I had to describe Firaxis' XCom, it'd be as a digital board game. It has rules pretty similar to some tactical board games I've played. Long War is closer to a tabletop strategy game, with far more in-depth rules, although numbers that you can still crunch in your head.

Classic UFO and Xenonauts are computer strategy games through and through, though. All of them are good things.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 20, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I was hoping Xcom Toolboks would work, but apparently it's not updated. I would love to change gender/countries on recruits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I just updated the OP to say 'the latest beta' instead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Going to wait for the Long War's stable release, but man I cant believe I'd so far just dismissed it as "A mod that makes teching and research take forever". I missed out on a pretty magnificent mod by the sound of it!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crossposting from the Steam sale megathread, could use some help disabling the in-game voice chat on the Mac version of the game if anyone's aware of how to fix this:

explosivo posted:

Trying to play some XCom multiplayer with my brother but the in game voice is loving with us because we're using Skype. I know there's a .ini file to edit on PC to disable this (XComEngine.ini) but he's on Mac and we're having a hard time tracking down the files that I have in Documents/MyGames/Xcom/ blahblah. Anyone have any ideas where to find this on the Mac version?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dandywalken posted:

Going to wait for the Long War's stable release, but man I cant believe I'd so far just dismissed it as "A mod that makes teching and research take forever". I missed out on a pretty magnificent mod by the sound of it!

Long War 9a is very stable, actually, and you only need to make 2 hex edits (one right away and the other when you get really far into the game), which is just a simple matter of copy and pasting. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 'stable' release as the way Long War releases tend to go is that they put out a new iteration, tons of new poo poo is in the game, a couple glaring bugs are found, a hotfix is released in a couple days, and then it'll be radio silence for however long it takes for the next version to be done.

You'd probably be better off familiarizing yourself with 9a so that when 10 comes out you won't have to grapple with every feature the mod adds, just what that patch adds/changes. Also for how bullshit Long War can be at times, it's really fun and it's hard to go back to vanilla now.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

Long War 9a is very stable, actually, and you only need to make 2 hex edits (one right away and the other when you get really far into the game), which is just a simple matter of copy and pasting. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 'stable' release as the way Long War releases tend to go is that they put out a new iteration, tons of new poo poo is in the game, a couple glaring bugs are found, a hotfix is released in a couple days, and then it'll be radio silence for however long it takes for the next version to be done.

You'd probably be better off familiarizing yourself with 9a so that when 10 comes out you won't have to grapple with every feature the mod adds, just what that patch adds/changes. Also for how bullshit Long War can be at times, it's really fun and it's hard to go back to vanilla now.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find the hex edits?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there any word on the not-so-long-war option? Long War sounds fantastic but a standard campaign of XCom is testing my patience.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

StashAugustine posted:

Is there any word on the not-so-long-war option? Long War sounds fantastic but a standard campaign of XCom is testing my patience.

The word is "play it anyway, and post on the Nexus thread if anything weird comes up/you have serious issues in some regard". Just make sure your feedback mentions you are doing a Not So Long War.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I would like to play long war, because I like the idea of gauss weapons, but I hate games being too hard.

How is easy mode in Long War?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

TescoBag posted:

I would like to play long war, because I like the idea of gauss weapons, but I hate games being too hard.

How is easy mode in Long War?

I feel like it's manageable. Just play smart.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The Sweetling posted:

Thanks for the info. Where can I find the hex edits?

Here is the one you need to do before playing the game:

quote:

HOW TO FIX UNEQUIPPABLE MEC GUNS IN 9a

Open XComStrategyGame.upk with a hex editor and do a search/replace on the following hex:
BEFORE:
07 e5 03 19 1B CB 2F 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 15 00 2D FF FF FF 00 1B 25 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 00 00 2C 01 16

AFTER:
07 e2 03 19 1B CB 2F 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 15 00 2D FF FF FF 00 1B 25 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 00 00 2C 01 16

Also do this:

quote:

In DefaultGameCore.ini, find the lines

MaxActiveAIUnits=130
MaxActiveAIUnits=120
MaxActiveAIUnits=110
MaxActiveAIUnits=100

and change them to

MaxActiveAIUnits=70
MaxActiveAIUnits=80
MaxActiveAIUnits=90
MaxActiveAIUnits=100

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

nutranurse posted:

Here is the one you need to do before playing the game:

Also do this:

What does the second change do?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

What does the second change do?

The Long War devs mistakenly made it so that Exalt/Aliens increase in tech and size and brutality way too quickly. That fix (it's something they provided) slows down alien advancement rates to something more reasonable. It works with pre-existing saves too.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I've been playing 9a on Not So Long War and been having a good time with it. There seems to be a bug where the aliens will just attack your base out of the blue rather than waiting for you to attack an alien base, which is a very rough mission to play through. Also, the recovery time on wounds seems excessive. On the other hand you get to actually see the new stuff they put in the mod rather than play 100 boring missions with nothing but starting weapons.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

nutranurse posted:

The Long War devs mistakenly made it so that Exalt/Aliens increase in tech and size and brutality way too quickly. That fix (it's something they provided) slows down alien advancement rates to something more reasonable. It works with pre-existing saves too.

Specifically, the numbers are backwards such that the enemies progress fastest on easy difficulty :xcom:

There's also a hex edit you have to do for the overseer UFO, and then revert once you shoot it down. It should be in their forums.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Specifically, the numbers are backwards such that the enemies progress fastest on easy difficulty :xcom:

There's also a hex edit you have to do for the overseer UFO, and then revert once you shoot it down. It should be in their forums.

Yeah I didn't bother with that one because I don't expect a long war newbie to get to that point all that soon. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My squad got wiped by a bunch of grays when my two best troopers missed their 80% shots and everyone got panicked by mind frays. They bunkered down on top of a building behind cover while 10 xeno scum took pot shots at them, critting two guys in the first turn of engagement. :xcom:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Deltasquid posted:

My squad got wiped by a bunch of grays when my two best troopers missed their 80% shots and everyone got panicked by mind frays. They bunkered down on top of a building behind cover while 10 xeno scum took pot shots at them, critting two guys in the first turn of engagement. :xcom:

The answer is always shotguns.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mr. Crow posted:

The answer is always shotguns.

This was the very first mission. Only rookies.

MajorDisater
Dec 30, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

This was the very first mission. Only rookies.

Then the answer is grenade's.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MajorDisater posted:

Then the answer is grenade's.

Have you played Long War? The AP grenades everyone starts with only deal damage to enemies out of cover. That means they are effectively useless.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Deltasquid posted:

Have you played Long War? The AP grenades everyone starts with only deal damage to enemies out of cover. That means they are effectively useless.

You might have misunderstood this. They work fine on people in cover as long as they're not in cover with respect to where you land the grenade. Which means cover really only stops grenades at maximum range, or if you're trying to get multiple people at once. You can easily finish the first missions barely firing a shot.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Majestic posted:

You might have misunderstood this. They work fine on people in cover as long as they're not in cover with respect to where you land the grenade. Which means cover really only stops grenades at maximum range, or if you're trying to get multiple people at once. You can easily finish the first missions barely firing a shot.

Wait, really? That was my gut feeling as well but when I tried to aim a grenade over some cover, the alien didn't light up in red, so I assumed it just didn't work on people in cover, period. They are a lot more useful now, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Deltasquid posted:

Wait, really? That was my gut feeling as well but when I tried to aim a grenade over some cover, the alien didn't light up in red, so I assumed it just didn't work on people in cover, period. They are a lot more useful now, thanks!

You were probably angling the grenade wrong - some cover positions have cover from more than one side, so it can be confusing. The AP weapons are sometimes really finnicky.

• Locked thread