Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I really liked Weird Video Games on BT. :smith:

Actually, that was the only thing I liked there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PiedPiper posted:

It really grinds my gears that almost every web-reviewer thinks that he just HAS to show all of his nerd credentials in the background, like comic books, action figures, VHS tapes, huge-rear end posters, etc. RLM's style, on the other hand, is more subtle and inviting.

I think you hit on something when you called it inviting. Maybe I'm a self-hating nerd, but the Nerd Credential Background is really an uninviting tableau for me. It's daresay a creepy background, in that I can't understand the mentality of it. I don't own or display posters, I stopped owning action figures when I stopped being a child, and any books/dvds are just interspersed with non-nerd titles in such a way that you'd have to pan in close to identify any of it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

I think you hit on something when you called it inviting. Maybe I'm a self-hating nerd, but the Nerd Credential Background is really an uninviting tableau for me. It's daresay a creepy background, in that I can't understand the mentality of it. I don't own or display posters, I stopped owning action figures when I stopped being a child, and any books/dvds are just interspersed with non-nerd titles in such a way that you'd have to pan in close to identify any of it.

The weirdest is Phelous who has like 5 copies of the same game in the background sometimes along with all the other stuff.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I don't own or display posters
The only poster I own is Nirvana's.
Because, like, I'm such a 90s kid, you guys :c00lbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/43723-jurassic-park-3
The movie that killed my childhood :cry:

Seriously who though that killing the T-Rex was a good idea? That and who thought it was a good idea for the other T-Rexes to not get revenge on the Spinosaurus? Fun fact: the T-Rex that dies is said to be the grown up baby T-Rex from The Lost World :smith:

Why do people hate the Lost World :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love the ending of JP3, if for no other reason than it felt like they badly wrote themselves into a corner, prompting the whole 'SEND IN THE ENTIRE NAVY' thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

The weirdest is Phelous who has like 5 copies of the same game in the background sometimes along with all the other stuff.

I'll give Phelous some credit: he films in a room obviously dedicated to that purpose whereas it looks like most reviewers set up a "stage" area somewhere in their living space.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Seriously who though that killing the T-Rex was a good idea? That and who thought it was a good idea for the other T-Rexes to not get revenge on the Spinosaurus? Fun fact: the T-Rex that dies is said to be the grown up baby T-Rex from The Lost World :smith:
That would be Jurassic Park paleontological consultant Jack Horner.

Jack Horner posted:

I would say that Spinosaurus is definitely more ferocious and nastier than T. rex. My hypothesis is that T. rex was actually a scavenger rather than a killer, rather than a predator, and we see that in this movie more than we see it in the other ones. Spinosaurus is really the predatory animal here, that actually goes after T. rex.
Horner has been basically the candle carrier for his pet "obligate scavenger" hypothesis in spite of evidence to the contrary and injected it into JPIII due to his leash being loosened. Rumor has it that he is only so dogmatic about it because he wants to challenge other paleontologists to use critical thinking through shock jock performances, but I'm not so sure he doesn't simply just believe his hypothesis unironically.

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't exactly hate it myself, but I can see where people might hate it from a "step down from the original" standpoint.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I take a fifth stab at the Ranma 1/2 manga, this time with a little less sexism and a little more kung fu old people.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

I really liked Weird Video Games on BT. :smith:

Actually, that was the only thing I liked there.

When I did poke the site, he was the only one I ever looked at. His posting was so irregular, on top of Blistered Thumbs' terrible layout (there were no straight up show/creator listings like TGWTG has) that I just stopped checking. Which is too bad. I hope he makes it somewhere.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

achillesforever6 posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/43723-jurassic-park-3
The movie that killed my childhood :cry:

Because it's not very good?

Mind you, I can't really comment - I don't get all the hate for JP3, I think it's freaking hilarious and enjoyable.

:confused::hf::confused:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fossilized Rappy posted:

That would be Jurassic Park paleontological consultant Jack Horner.

Jurassic Park 3 should have had Bob Bakker as its consultant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can only speak for myself here, but I like JP and the Lost World in and of themselves for two very different reasons. It's when I start comparing the two to one another and to III that the disparities start to emerge.

The three films are actually three different genres sharing a common label. There's no consistent tone running through all three and I think a lot of people look down on the sequels because they want them to be Jurassic Park when only the first one alone is Jurassic Park.

The Lost World, meanwhile, is an action adventure film. It foregoes the powerful emotions and thought-provoking moments of the first one in favour of having some vaguely interesting people going to an incredibly interesting place and having an exciting, mostly impact-free adventure. It's lowbrow action schlock, but it's mostly fun action schlock. I enjoyed it the last time I watched it, but it was a completely different type of enjoyment compared to what I felt the last time I watched the original film.

Jurassic Park III, on the other hand is a survival horror film. It's smaller in every respect compared to the first two, both in focus and narrative ambition. It's also a piece of poo poo, but that's another matter entirely.

It's just one of those film series where each iteration seems like its part of a completely different series despite sharing a contiguous story universe, like what Die Hard's turned into.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 19, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Brad's got a new Cinema Snob out, this one about cult classic The Stepfather.

Honestly, the video's really heavy on his "I'm a film critic who reflexively hates horror films" schtick, which I know is the whole Snob gimmick, but it just never produces funny jokes.

the part where he losing his identity is really good in the bathroom, i thought it was a ok review but his last few was better. it also didn't help he just did friday the 13th part 3 where he did some of the same jokes. but this forum have a hard on for hating bard i notice.

EDIT: i am talking more about people saying brad is racist and homophobic becuase he did a podcast with josh once upon a time and less about hating on old schtick. i still think mommy dearest is his best review this year when it comes to leaking out his pesonal bias on a film since really "worst movie of the 80's" it is not.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 19, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My then-12-year old brother and I were doing a Jurassic Park marathon one day, and just stopped 30 minutes into JP3 because he was picking apart how every single thing that happens in that movie is caused by the characters making the stupidest possible decision.

Cyron posted:

the part where he losing his identity is really good in the bathroom, i thought it was a ok review but his last few was better. it also didn't help he just did friday the 13th part 3 where he did some of the same jokes. but this forum have a hard on for hating bard i notice.

Brad Jones is the only TGWTG contributor I still watch with regularity, I'm not criticizing the schtick because I hate him; I don't. I just wish he'd tone down the Snob schtick a bit, because really, are film critics who reflexively hate horror movies really still a thing that need to be taken down a peg? Because the new wave of horror movies seems to be pretty well-liked by critics, and 80's style slasher flicks (the ones Brad loves and the critics hate) don't really get made anymore for theatrical release.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

Brad Jones is the only TGWTG contributor I still watch with regularity, I'm not criticizing the schtick because I hate him; I don't. I just wish he'd tone down the Snob schtick a bit, because really, are film critics who reflexively hate horror movies really still a thing that need to be taken down a peg? Because the new wave of horror movies seems to be pretty well-liked by critics, and 80's style slasher flicks (the ones Brad loves and the critics hate) don't really get made anymore for theatrical release.

Brad is a lot like other internet critics where when he tones down the character or leaves it aside all together he's much, much more enjoyable. I really find this the case too with James Rolfe and Doug Walker. I'm pretty burned out on the AVGN and NC shtick but when they just talk about something they like or dislike, play a videogame with friends, do a vlog, etc it's considerably better.

With Spoony it's a bit harder since it really feels like there's a pretty blurred line between Noah and Spoony or whatever you wanna call his 'character' for reviews.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 19, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

With Spoony it's a bit harder since it really feels like there's a pretty blurred line between Noah and Spoony or whatever you wanna call his 'character' for reviews.

I used to be a pretty hardcore Spoony fan, and I never saw any compelling evidence that he's playing a character at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's just him. I do find it funny that he's done more reviews this year since I stopped paying attention since seemingly all of 2013.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cyron posted:

EDIT: i am talking more about people saying brad is racist and homophobic becuase he did a podcast with josh once upon a time and less about hating on old schtick. i still think mommy dearest is his best review this year when it comes to leaking out his pesonal bias on a film since really "worst movie of the 80's" it is not.

I know he has grown up but him being disgusted at a kid getting beaten up for nearly two hours and finding the Razzies to be dishonest shlock is such a low standard of "Oh look, he's good people!" that at this point I really, really am starting to feel sorry for Brad for how low the standards are. "Oh, he didn't shriek like an harpy and said that the girl had a wire hanger fetish and too pretentious for talking about her trauma to two strawmen business people for a movie. He's the gold standard here, folks."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

are film critics who reflexively hate horror movies really still a thing that need to be taken down a peg? Because the new wave of horror movies seems to be pretty well-liked by critics, and 80's style slasher flicks (the ones Brad loves and the critics hate) don't really get made anymore for theatrical release.

I enjoy the hell out of him, but I don't think Brad has ever really gotten over the death of the 80s slasher film. Sure, the new wave of horror seems to be liked by critics, but Brad isn't generally a fan of the new wave of horror movies.

Case in point, Brad hates Scream, but more than that he hates how audiences embraced it. On Radiodrome he mentioned that he felt that Scream/Scream-type movies allowed filmmakers and audiences to say "I'm smarter than the folks who made slasher movies in the 80s", like it's a bad thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's just him. I do find it funny that he's done more reviews this year since I stopped paying attention since seemingly all of 2013.
On that note... who wants to see a naked Spoony dance at the camera while going "I'd gently caress me... hard"?

No one?

http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/ultima-runes-of-virtue-part-1/

And gently caress you anyways

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

I know he has grown up but him being disgusted at a kid getting beaten up for nearly two hours and finding the Razzies to be dishonest shlock is such a low standard of "Oh look, he's good people!" that at this point I really, really am starting to feel sorry for Brad for how low the standards are. "Oh, he didn't shriek like an harpy and said that the girl had a wire hanger fetish and too pretentious for talking about her trauma to two strawmen business people for a movie. He's the gold standard here, folks."

I literally never understand what you say in this thread.

Like, I know all the words, and you probably have an opinion I could agree or disagree with, but somehow they are never put together in a way I can parse.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

... Come on it's not that hard. I watched the Mommy Dearest TCS episode to check what was up, and both points he made that could be perceived as a positive ("Mommy Dearest as a piece of media was mistreated, specially by the Razzies" + "The portrayed child abuse was hard to watch"), weighted that with what the other guy said as a judgment of his character, and saw it was sad that the standards for "Well, that's a righteous fellow" were this low.

The quote unquote part was just me ragging on Doug Walker's performance on his reviews, both old and new, and using that as a way of showcasing that maybe the standards of judgement are really low.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Xander77 posted:

On that note... who wants to see a naked Spoony dance at the camera while going "I'd gently caress me... hard"?

No one?

http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/ultima-runes-of-virtue-part-1/

And gently caress you anyways

It does amuse me that nobody even bothered to link Spoony's new review till your post. It's just really kinda bland more than anything. Some bits are okay, some are really force and unfunny. It's just agressively "meh" all around.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I literally never understand what you say in this thread.
Like, I know all the words, and you probably have an opinion I could agree or disagree with, but somehow they are never put together in a way I can parse.

Kunster posted:

I know he has grown up, but him being disgusted at a kid getting beaten up for nearly two hours and finding the Razzies to be "dishonest shlock" is such a low standard to be defined as a decent person. I am really starting to feel sorry for Brad for how low his standards are for being a good person.

I can't parse the rest of it either, and to be honest I'm not sure how much I got right of the first part.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

Jurassic Park 3 should have had Bob Bakker as its consultant.
Nah because while Horner is bit eccentric and creepy for marrying his 19 yr old undergrad intern, when I met him at a conference he was incredibly nice and happy that I said my whole reason of being a paleontologist was because of Jurassic Park and the character of Dr. Grant.

I still like the Lost World because I enjoy the set pieces, Jeff Goldblum, Peter Posthelwaife, and the soundtrack which I think is on par with the original.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I can't parse the rest of it either, and to be honest I'm not sure how much I got right of the first part.

I mean folk's standards, yeah I definitely hosed up there. Sorry about that!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Ok, this was my bad, that edit was badly. i only brought up mommy dearest just to say it was one of his better reviews this year. the first part is based on a old post who said that brad is racist by taking a tweet out of context and saying he defend everything josh handly do and say on the internet.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think you're talking about my posting, haha. I tend to be more harsh with more influential/notorious/famous folk.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Kunster posted:

I think you're talking about my posting, haha. I tend to be more harsh with more influential/notorious/famous folk.

I was. i do agree with that that josh handly is a dried out turd, i was about to call him a tool but tools can be useful. but i don't think brad like josh that mush.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Josh Hadley is terrible. I don't think there's any disagreement about that and he's not working with Brad anymore so I don't see why he keeps getting brought up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tracula posted:

Brad is a lot like other internet critics where when he tones down the character or leaves it aside all together he's much, much more enjoyable. I really find this the case too with James Rolfe and Doug Walker. I'm pretty burned out on the AVGN and NC shtick but when they just talk about something they like or dislike, play a videogame with friends, do a vlog, etc it's considerably better.

The review must go on is probably the best thing Doug Walker has ever done and I doubt anything he will do will surpass it. Then again, I also really liked the lost in translation demo reel video so my taste is probably not very good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tracula posted:

I do think the snob is running it corse mainly for him running out of mertial, i can see him fhinishing up the friday the 13th films to at least 8, and staying alive but i have no clue what his 300th review will be. But i feel like james (or even red letter media since i am sure most people know them due to planket) can live fine on the internet fine, he do more 80's dan and reviewers, and the midnight screenings can give him the cheep and easy cash. and none of that is bad IMO.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

watho posted:

The review must go on is probably the best thing Doug Walker has ever done and I doubt anything he will do will surpass it. Then again, I also really liked the lost in translation demo reel video so my taste is probably not very good.
At the very least the NC videos post return have been much better than everything he did before the attempted retirement.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think Doug's best thing is Disney-cember. They are super short so you don't get a lot of annoying schtick. It's very review focused.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

I think Doug's best thing is Disney-cember. They are super short so you don't get a lot of annoying schtick. It's very review focused.
I personally have a soft spot for his countdown videos and Old vs New. That and his regular reviews with Rob who I'll always like since he can do good impressions/characters.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New One Hit Wonderland: Biz Markie - Just A Friend

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

I personally have a soft spot for his countdown videos and Old vs New. That and his regular reviews with Rob who I'll always like since he can do good impressions/characters.

I do agree with you on that,he did take a bit to get a good flow to put in the demo reel folks but i will say i loved every review i saw since his comback. i hate the old vs new spider man because that fangirl pissed me off for the fact i know people who act like that on facebook.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Celery Face posted:

New One Hit Wonderland: Biz Markie - Just A Friend

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

Biz Markie is a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Biz Markie is a legend.
That rendition of Benny And The Jets had me dying. He's pretty great.

• Locked thread