Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is this from the comic who's cover I quoted? I just saw it in a bookstore a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Toshimo posted:

You filthy casuals.

When they announced raids, I had really hoped they'd be exactly like this:

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
So what is it looking like for Legendaries on SS? I would think CCR, since the health on kill sounds like it would be handy on him, even through the spirit on kill sounds pretty meaningless.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jesus Christ is that picture for ants?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Toshimo posted:

You filthy casuals.

I no poo poo miss this.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

alansmithee posted:

all the development seems geared towards raids.

You brought up some points for consideration, even though saying gaz is like other developers is a little silly. But they you said this. The sky is not falling man, if you seriously cant see the non-raid development they are still pumping out at record pace I dont know what to say. Saying that all the development seems geared towards raiding requires some pretty big blinders.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Right-click -> Search Google for this image

Raiding... Raiding never changes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Toshimo posted:

You filthy casuals.

You really should want them to go back to the grandaddy of them (These were virtually all 36-72 person raids):

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Toshimo posted:

Jesus Christ is that picture for ants?

Sorry, for some reason the upload insists on converting it into a tiny rear end resolution, probably since it's so oddly shaped.

(edit): zombie got it in the right size

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Thankfully they brought back attunement from Vanilla WoW, that was so much fun, I also enjoy smashing my head into the wall.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jubelio posted:

You brought up some points for consideration, even though saying gaz is like other developers is a little silly. But they you said this. The sky is not falling man, if you seriously cant see the non-raid development they are still pumping out at record pace I dont know what to say. Saying that all the development seems geared towards raiding requires some pretty big blinders.

That's not what he's saying, yo, though I'm glad you could somehow read all that from a short sentence. The raid took some portion of the developers and artists some amount of time to create. He's right in the sense that time for those people could have been spent on other things potentially that more players will see actually see and enjoy. These are things that, as he mentioned, the MMO industry has already learned for the most part (WildStar aside, but they're just looking to stretch content in a bare endgame), over the past few years.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 20, 2014

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Toshimo posted:

You filthy casuals.

It probably took less time to get attuned for TBC raiding than it will take a new marvel heroes player to get 700 odin marks.

It's pretty clear raiding as it implemented now is designed just to give the long term F2P whales something to do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've always liked that diagram because it hides that for the first year people generally spent their time raiding three dungeons that didn't require any attunement at all, and that most players raided Molten Core for the first time without having ever completed any part of its "attunement".

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Guess I need to find some emu servers for WoW since that doesn't sound like The Worst Thing Ever (TM). It actually seems neat in concept. It'll also avoid the "I'm 60, what now?" question that always gets asked.

That said I'm sure I'll do two thing on the checklist and immediately say "gently caress THIS" out of sheer anger at how much bullshit hoops to jump through.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

iuvian posted:

It probably took less time to get attuned for TBC raiding than it will take a new marvel heroes player to get 700 odin marks.

Uh, i'm at 900 odin marks in 2-3 weeks?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Guess I need to find some emu servers for WoW since that doesn't sound like The Worst Thing Ever (TM). It actually seems neat in concept. It'll also avoid the "I'm 60, what now?" question that always gets asked.

That said I'm sure I'll do two thing on the checklist and immediately say "gently caress THIS" out of sheer anger at how much bullshit hoops to jump through.

Be sure to bring anywhere from 4 to 39 friends, since the vast majority of it cannot be soloed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Well, all interest in Wildstar has finally been killed so thanks for that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

madstrike posted:

Uh, i'm at 900 odin marks in 2-3 weeks?

Jesus man! That's a lot. At least... I thought it was.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

e: I'm sorry for this

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 20, 2014

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Leveling 4 characters with only legendary quests after lvl20 helped.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not sure any emulated servers exist with that rule set anyway, since Blizzard fairly quickly patched out the revered faction requirements then afterwards stripped out most of the others. But then, the issue wasn't so much flagging yourself, it was doing it for everyone in your guild, then redoing them every few weeks as people quit / and old players came back or were guilded.

That stuff was primarily just a holdover from the Everquest school of design, and I'm sure there's still people playing that if you want to meet some broken, soulless husks.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Victis posted:

The people that are positive about raiding in this thread are pretty much the people that are currently raiding, I hope that's not a surprise to anyone. And Arrg.

I get that there should be a carrot on a stick for those guys that have already sunk 1000+ hours into this game but it's a little disingenuous to pitch it as relevant to new players (you just need more organization and gumption guys!).

Victis, I like you as I like really all the goons. I think you are good at this game too when I've played with you. I want you to know I understand your point of view as well.

I'll make this my last optimistic post about raiding as I certainly understand not everybody will see my perspective. And I'm OK with that.

But I do, honestly believe, that anybody can raid. The content is very challenging. It can certainly be frustrating as well but Gaz, despite all the times we rip on them (and many times deserve it), have done very well with the first 3 encounters.

There have been PUGs who have beaten the first encounter. We can actually count on more than one hand I believe for this number.

I also do think that your casual gamer can raid and succeed. I don't think it will be immediate success but there are always outliers.

I'll give a short personal example, that's probably stupid too. I used to be absolutely god awful at cosmic terms. I mean, I would die more times than I could count. Giving up is easy. I die a few times and I could just walk away and never do the poo poo again. I treat it like any activity I guess. I fail a few times and I learn. Eventually, I succeed.

I can handle them now very well. I play with veterans here and I play with newbies too. I love playing with newbies because we both know, Gaz doesn't really explain a drat thing about this game. You really just learn it by what you already know about ARPGs and trial and error here. If anything, I just want to spread some encouragement that you can have fun doing any content you want. That includes raids.

Raids are just 10 man content with some new mechanics. It is endgame. It is supposed to be for those who want to put some dedication into their character and try the toughest content out there.

I learned from the official forums that there are a lot of people out there who poo poo on the raids and have never even tried. Some have only tried once or twice.

It's an unfair assessment of the new content to critique anything without giving it an honest try. I hope to encourage all of the goons to be open-minded, try something new and then offer all of your criticism and judgment.

Again, no disrespect from me on your or anybody else's opinion and feelings about raid content. I simply wanted to offer my own rebuttal and attitude toward what we are seeing right now.

If any goons have any questions about raids or whatever, please feel free to reach out as I'll either bring the pain or give courteous suggestions. Many goons can probably attest to me not being an rear end in a top hat when giving advice or criticism and I'll keep it that way.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you, goons, for ruining Emma Frost for me.

:suicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She looks like she's from that Bully game Rockstar made.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kokoro Wish posted:

The raid took some portion of the developers and artists some amount of time to create. He's right in the sense that time for those people could have been spent on other things potentially that more players will see actually see and enjoy. These are things that, as he mentioned, the MMO industry has already learned for the most part (WildStar aside, but they're just looking to stretch content in a bare endgame), over the past few years.
Yeah, even Blizzard said they basically totally hosed up when they designed Naxxramas to be the capstone of Vanilla and made the requirements so high that less than 10% of the playerbase even saw the inside of it, let alone all the encounters - so much so they reused the entire thing (to the huge amount of boos from those 10% who were no longer 'special').
Ideally I think making a Green-level raid is a good idea, so that people can actually see and play with those assets; with a Red-level hard version that grants better gear and needs some co-ordination; and a Cosmic-level that also drops unique epeen cosmetics for the truly hardcore, and that would be the best of every world while leveraging Gaz's already pretty robust difficulty system.

I have over 1k because I've levelled a few characters almost entirely on legendary quests and I've only bought legendaries/blessings for a few characters I want to gear. Also, rerolling into MM LQs to complete SQs at the same time is basically a golden shower.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It's not quite so bad now. Shared quests get you near 20 a day, so to hit that mark you'd need about 25 more odin marks a day, which will roughly be 15 lqs or so (depending on which you reroll, if any). That's probably around 2-3 hours giving time to finish sq stuff and sell and level and whatnot. Not too difficult, but it's also a part-time job at that point in terms of time commitment.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Hot drat I just got Wolverine from a random box . How do I cut people? There's no updated build :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Raids will be fine if there's an easy mode that's basically Mega XDef. Select Raid, dick around while you get lumped in with 9 other people, smash things, and win if you aren't completely stupid. Then the Raidlords can have their cosmic version or whatever and everyone can enjoy punching enormous fire people together.

I think what people are getting hung up on is that raiding right now is a complete curveball in the design of Marvel Heroes. There's nothing else like it in the game, and it requires a level of effort and dedication way beyond anything else because you need a raid group just to do it at all. You can do the story by yourself, terminals by yourself, Midtown by yourself, Holosim by yourself, and you get matched up for XDef (which has no "win" state) and PvP (which no one cares about). Now all of a sudden you have to find people to cooperate with and gear up and practice and it's just...not what a lot of us are here for.

I'll happily try raiding if I can drag myself away from leveling new characters for an hour, but just like everything else in the game there really needs to be an easy mode for people that just want to punch things with their favorite make-believe person.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
I honestly think raiding does not really have a place in an ARPG game and it's pretty much wasted resources. If I wanted to bind my schedule to a game and raid I would just play WoW.

I play ARPGs to login, smash some monsters, get some loot, then log out and do other stuff. Raids are the antithesis of this style.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

holy poo poo this thread sucks

the world isnt ending, the game isnt "turning into wow" or whatever. if you think it is youre probably retarded

If you're a casual player you don't need the stupid uniques or whatever to keep on keeping on, and no one will be fixing you to play it. If you hate the idea of raids so much, you can completely ignore that it exists. And as others have pointed out, there will be an easy mode and a terminal version, so you won't be missing out on the content/tileset.

Calm the gently caress down, no one is taking your game from you.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 20, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Thank you, goons, for ruining Emma Frost for me.

:suicide:

Not sure what those pictures ruined for you that her New X-men costume didn't already.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a vendor and stash in the raid? I can be that guy who picks up everything and then spends most of the time vendoring.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NotALizardman posted:

holy poo poo this thread sucks

the world isnt ending, the game isnt "turning into wow" or whatever. if you think it is youre probably retarded

If you're a casual player you don't need the stupid uniques or whatever to keep on keeping on, and no one will be fixing you to play it. If you hate the idea of raids so much, you can completely ignore that it exists. And as others have pointed out, there will be an easy mode and a terminal version, so you won't be missing out on the content/tileset.

Calm the gently caress down, no one is taking your game from you.

lol

phosdex posted:

Is there a vendor and stash in the raid? I can be that guy who picks up everything and then spends most of the time vendoring.
Holo-crafter and holo-stash. Bring your own!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

TheCosmicCupcake just said that Nude Man's slot 2 will be fixed.

Thank god.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RatHat posted:

Not sure what those pictures ruined for you that her New X-men costume didn't already.

The only thing that costume ruined is my underwear, lol. From my boner, dude.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kuhmondo posted:

Hot drat I just got Wolverine from a random box . How do I cut people? There's no updated build :(
I've found that a bleed build works best for me.

Max: Unstoppable Beast, Bloody Sweep, Bloody Claws, Eviscerate, Crimson Leap; Chudan–No–Kamae, Furious Assault; Adamantine Skeleton
One point: Borrowed Ride; Feral Roar (fixed point), Wetwork, Can't Keep Me Down

Apply up to three bleeds to dudes, then Eviscerate if they're elites and not dead yet. Use Furious Assault against bosses when it's available. Try to remember but mostly forget to use Wetwork at all because there aren't enough hotkeys on one bar and :effort:. Same goes for Feral Roar but it actually is on my skill bar and the buff has a pretty generous duration so I tend to remember to pop it!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Eiffel On You posted:

TheCosmicCupcake just said that Nude Man's slot 2 will be fixed.

Thank god.

That's good. The tenacity on it looked a bit low for it to have any real impact at 60.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I'm too lazy to go look it up, but they've said the current raid beta is in between the Green and Red difficulty they are planning. It's probably much closer to the planned Red level difficulty too.

so there will be an easier one and I bet they'll make it so any average-equipped hero composition can win if the strategy is followed properly

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Toshimo posted:

You filthy casuals.

Nah if you really want to be hardcore you base it on the stuff you have to do before you can even start raiding in WildStar:

(hardcore)

e: Hahaha gently caress beaten like the dude who brings Cyclops to the raid. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

I've found that a bleed build works best for me.

Max: Unstoppable Beast, Bloody Sweep, Bloody Claws, Eviscerate, Crimson Leap; Chudan–No–Kamae, Furious Assault; Adamantine Skeleton
One point: Borrowed Ride; Feral Roar (fixed point), Wetwork, Can't Keep Me Down

Apply up to three bleeds to dudes, then Eviscerate if they're elites and not dead yet. Use Furious Assault against bosses when it's available. Try to remember but mostly forget to use Wetwork at all because there aren't enough hotkeys on one bar and :effort:. Same goes for Feral Roar but it actually is on my skill bar and the buff has a pretty generous duration so I tend to remember to pop it!

Excellent! Thanks for the tips He's a slow leveler that's for sure at low levels compared to HT. I expect he'll ramp up once he unlocks his bleeds right?

• Locked thread