Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Biz Markie is a legend.

Just A Friend also spawns one of the funniest moments in Saints Row IV.

"Nooo. Zinyak hosed with Biz Markie! This will not stand!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Josh Hadley is terrible. I don't think there's any disagreement about that and he's not working with Brad anymore so I don't see why he keeps getting brought up.
You say that, and yet Brad just retweeted this from him:

quote:

Josh Hadley ‏@JoshHadleySays Jun 18

Still waiting to hear if my submission to be on Channel Awesome has been accepted. I know I got a good shot. I'll keep y'all posted.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first rat aboard a sinking ship.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Cyron posted:

I do think the snob is running it corse mainly for him running out of mertial, i can see him fhinishing up the friday the 13th films to at least 8, and staying alive but i have no clue what his 300th review will be. But i feel like james (or even red letter media since i am sure most people know them due to planket) can live fine on the internet fine, he do more 80's dan and reviewers, and the midnight screenings can give him the cheep and easy cash. and none of that is bad IMO.

At some point I would love to see Brad do more straight reviews of whatever the hell he wants. DV-R Hell is really the sort of tone I'd prefer at this point. Riffing on that which he discusses, sure, but otherwise giving the subject genuine personal response and a context. Hell, his best Snob reviews have been the ones he really loves and thus had his real self slip through the most.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DVD-R Hell is great, but I don't really have much interest in the Snob stuff since I just don't have the time to watch it anymore and I'm really not a horror fan anyway. He seems to pick the best stuff on DVD-R Hell though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hey Josh. JOSH! U KEEPING UP WITH THIS THREAD? U WANT MORE STUFF FROM ME?? You suck, harpy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

That rendition of Benny And The Jets had me dying. He's pretty great.

You gotta love a guy who's obviously having the time of his life. He might not have an amazing singing voice (he makes it work,) but the guy just has amazing charisma and presence.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know that's fake josh right? it is a Parody account, it funny since josh hates TGWTG. Overall the account is the polor opposite of Josh where he loves Jesus, call beer "Brewski", and loves sitcoms on TBS and ABC Family.

i am shocked no one heard of him here since real josh did try to shut the twitter account down for making fun of him too much.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 20, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

You gotta love a guy who's obviously having the time of his life. He might not have an amazing singing voice (he makes it work,) but the guy just has amazing charisma and presence.
Totally. I'm not surprised that Biz Markie on a kids show too. He seems like the kind of person that little kids would love and I don't mean that as an insult.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

you know that's fake josh right? it is a paradoy account, it funny since josh hates TGWTG. hell the account is the polor opposite of josh where he loves jesus, call beer brewski, and loves sitcoms on TBS amd ABC family.

i am shocked no one heard of him here since real josh did try to shut the twitter account down for making fun of him too mush.

Please, for the love of God, get a browser that has spellcheck

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i didn't start a slander fest on brad by posting a joke twitter account. sorry for not spelling good enough But i will fix it.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 20, 2014

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cyron posted:

you know that's fake josh right? it is a paradoy account, it funny since josh hates TGWTG. hell the account is the polor opposite of josh where he loves jesus, call beer brewski, and loves sitcoms on TBS amd ABC family.

i am shocked no one heard of him here since real josh did try to shut the twitter account down for making fun of him too mush.

I love that account. It is like the embodiment of so many clueless Internet neocon know-alls. But yes, it is fake. Behold the bio:

"The Home of Fake Josh. The Number #1 Alternate Universe Hadley Twitter on the Net. Parody Josh."

I'm pretty sure Brad at least has a hand in running it - whoever runs this account is too good at imitating the way this type of guy communicates to the world. I don't even watch/listen to Hadley's stuff and I feel like I know him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

i didn't start a slanderfest on brad by posting a joke twitter account. sorry for not spelling good enough.

At least capitalize!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Pirate Jenny posted:

I love that account. It is like the embodiment of so many clueless Internet neocon know-alls. But yes, it is fake. Behold the bio:

"The Home of Fake Josh. The Number #1 Alternate Universe Hadley Twitter on the Net. Parody Josh."

I'm pretty sure Brad at least has a hand in running it - whoever runs this account is too good at imitating the way this type of guy communicates to the world. I don't even watch/listen to Hadley's stuff and I feel like I know him.

When I talked to Brad at C2E2 last spring he said that he have multiple fake accounts, I think Todd did say that he found out about the fake accounts after Magfest. He and a few others like Welshy gently caress around with TGWTG secrets and other related sites and blogs.

I am sure Fake Josh is a good chunk of people from Geek Juice Radio, i love him more then real Josh, but that's not hard to do.

EDIT:I edited both of my post. I hope the spelling is a bit better.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 20, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just A Friend also spawns one of the funniest moments in Saints Row IV.

"Nooo. Zinyak hosed with Biz Markie! This will not stand!"

I need to go back and play that again. Such a fun game.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Not that I'm jumping on the Brad Jones bashing, but since I just watched it, I must comment.

His Snob review of Friday the 13th Part 3....the hell was he thinking? Yes Anaglyph 3D was an awful gimmick, one which plenty of 80's movies exploited, such as this one. Yes, he hates modern 3D for similar reasons. Fine. But to show the Anaglyph cut of the movie, as well as film his own freaking parts that way and constantly make of the whole "I'm throwing stuff at the camera, wooooo!" aspect of it, good lord that needed to stop. If he did that for a few minutes, maybe did a couple of those in your face gags before declaring "You know, this is giving me a headache" and proceeded with the rest of it the normal way, great. We get the joke and you made your point. It's not like the movie itself isn't awful enough that you couldn't make fun of it on its own merits.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Celery Face posted:

New One Hit Wonderland: Biz Markie - Just A Friend

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

I had never seen or heard Biz Markie and I kind of liked the song, but I couldn't help thinking that Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock has some of Biz Markie, and I got sad.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Celery Face posted:

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

Not sure if it's possible to hear this song without smiling. Biz Markie's enthusiasm is infectious.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Celery Face posted:

:neckbeard: I haven't encounter a person yet that didn't like this song. Heck, I remember hearing that song on the radio as a kid and after the initial :wtc: I was singing right along with it. It's one of those very rare songs that you can sing along with and know that you're not going to be any worse than the original artist. That and it's just a fun, innocent song. And "innocent" is a word rarely associated with rap music.

I might be mistaken, but this may be Todd's most glowing reaction to a OHW subject yet, and deservedly so!

Also, I've caught up on Lupa's review of Creepshow III and the latest episode of Baywatching.

Man, even as a bad movie to riff on with a group of friends, Creepshow III seems like a slog to sit through. I hadn't seen I & II since I was a kid, but just from the names associated with them alone makes it more deserving than whatever III was. I'd wager that more people have seen your review of III than the movie itself - certainly more people enjoyed the review than the movie.

Baywatching was a blast as usual. I loved the "You're My Best Friend" running joke, especially during the dance sequence with the Craig:stare:. It's an irrational plot, but I get it. Come to think of it, a somewhat similar scenario played out between a couple friends some 6 years ago. Turned out a bit differently though: the Mitch and Amanda Allison in this scenario got married while the Craig eventually severed and moved out of state (he did get engaged earlier this year, so it's not all bad :toot:).

Sometimes life imitates Baywatch. v:shobon:v

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

achillesforever6 posted:

At the very least the NC videos post return have been much better than everything he did before the attempted retirement.

I totally agree but sometimes I feel like the sketches are weighed down by having to be in a review. I dunno, I'm like the one person who actually liked Demo Reel.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

watho posted:

I totally agree but sometimes I feel like the sketches are weighed down by having to be in a review. I dunno, I'm like the one person who actually liked Demo Reel.

I think he's trying to work Demo Reel into his reviews which I respect him for. Doug was never offensive, an rear end in a top hat or terrible before, he just got stuck in a rut and was forced by his fans to stay there. He's trying admirably well to please his fans AND expand which I give him credit for.

I sort of wish Linkara would try the same thing. I'm getting a little bored of random rear end comics that had no real chance of ever being good. Like, U-S 1 and weird PSA comics can be funny, but he REALLY shines with stuff that sucks in different ways. Ultimatum, Identity Crisis, and Avengers #200. He has a talent at taking comic history, canon and ideas and making them interesting. I feel like he's sort of wasting it on stuff that doesn't really have any substance to work with. The last time he went outside the box was that Identity Crisis list and that was legitimately interesting. Maybe he can try one of those with Civil War or something.

I know most of his fans love the ~wacky, dumb comics~ but to me they're honestly kind of boring. They all sort of come down to him saying "wow, this sure is weird! what bad art! The KOOL AID MAN!?"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 20, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I sort of wish Linkara would try the same thing. I'm getting a little bored of random rear end comics that had no real chance of ever being good. Like, U-S 1 and weird PSA comics can be funny, but he REALLY shines with stuff that sucks in different ways. Ultimatum, Identity Crisis, and Avengers #200. He has a talent at taking comic history, canon and ideas and making them interesting. I feel like he's sort of wasting it on stuff that doesn't really have any substance to work with.

He's openly admitted he doesn't want to tackle the stuff that really pisses him off because they're all big series that royally screwed the pooch and have a lot of controversy around them. (like One More Day, only with people willing to defend them) I can understand that sentiment, comic fans can get really, really into arguing over that kinda poo poo, and he'd be bombarded with comments from fanboys who want to nitpick his points to death while agreeing with him which is basically the worst kind of argument.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SatansBestBuddy posted:

He's openly admitted he doesn't want to tackle the stuff that really pisses him off because they're all big series that royally screwed the pooch and have a lot of controversy around them. (like One More Day, only with people willing to defend them) I can understand that sentiment, comic fans can get really, really into arguing over that kinda poo poo, and he'd be bombarded with comments from fanboys who want to nitpick his points to death while agreeing with him which is basically the worst kind of argument.

Then just ignore them. It's sort of lame to let yourself be forced to not tackle interesting subjects because fans will whine about them while still enjoying your videos. He doesn't have to respond to every tweet, tumblr comment and so on. Just do what you enjoy. He's getting dangerously close to a rut of doing the same poo poo over and over

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm not much of a comic fan but I'd like to see really good, successful issues being analyzed. I guess you couldn't play much comedy off of that it gets kinda tiring to see nothing but reviews of bad things. I think this point was brought up before that negativity makes for more interesting material and I'd like to see that refuted.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

I was only vaguely aware of who Biz Markie was, but I thought he was a more serious figure. I'm pretty glad I was wrong, because his goofiness is overwhelmingly charming.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Ghostpilot posted:

Man, even as a bad movie to riff on with a group of friends, Creepshow III seems like a slog to sit through. I hadn't seen I & II since I was a kid, but just from the names associated with them alone makes it more deserving than whatever III was. I'd wager that more people have seen your review of III than the movie itself - certainly more people enjoyed the review than the movie.

Baywatching was a blast as usual. I loved the "You're My Best Friend" running joke, especially during the dance sequence with the Craig:stare:. It's an irrational plot, but I get it. Come to think of it, a somewhat similar scenario played out between a couple friends some 6 years ago. Turned out a bit differently though: the Mitch and Amanda Allison in this scenario got married while the Craig eventually severed and moved out of state (he did get engaged earlier this year, so it's not all bad :toot:).

Sometimes life imitates Baywatch. v:shobon:v
Thanks! Sometimes I think Baywatching is a lot of fun, but then I remember I'm not even into the hilarious seasons yet.

And Creepshow 3 is a slog, I really don't recommend it. It was reviewed as a Patreon reward and I still wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. At least a couple of people who worked on Creepshow 3 have contacted me since and said the shoot was hell; lots of interesting stories about that one. Among other things, the crazy yelling hobo really was a crazy person who was screaming for like 12 hours and got lost at least once, there were two directors who seemed to hate each other and gave conflicting direction, and they were shooting on the Universal back lot near the Jaws set so they had to wait for tour trolleys a lot. And apparently in the Alice story the idea was that she was a rabbit the whole time who had been made human by the remote. The person who confirmed this agreed that it still made no sense.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So the whole Alice story is even more like a Goosebumps book than I first thought. The whole thing reminded of the completely off the wall stuff from the choose your own adventure books.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

John Murdoch posted:

So the whole Alice story is even more like a Goosebumps book than I first thought. The whole thing reminded of the completely off the wall stuff from the choose your own adventure books.

Complete with random twist ending that just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth! I feel like a 90's kid all over again. :allears:

By the way, is it just me, or does the talking radio story have no end? It wasn't even until the second time I watched the video that I noticed that Lupa says the guy kills someone, shows a montage of boredom, then immediately starts the next story about the killer prostitute.

The story doesn't really end with just him killing some schmutz, does it?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

By the way, is it just me, or does the talking radio story have no end? It wasn't even until the second time I watched the video that I noticed that Lupa says the guy kills someone, shows a montage of boredom, then immediately starts the next story about the killer prostitute.

The story doesn't really end with just him killing some schmutz, does it?

It did have an ending, I just didn't really talk about it since the story was pretty boring. He runs away with the prostitute he's in love with and she kills him for the money, then the pimp kills her and takes the money and it's revealed another talking radio told him to do it.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Cinema Sins is on the front page of Cracked.

In never got the hate directed at this guy by the TGWTG crowd when he started up. Sure his stuff was inane nickpicky crap but was tightly scripted inane nitpicky crap instead of drawn out slightly more substantive but still pretty inane nickpicky crap. When it come's to choosing between the two I'll pick the one that wastes less of my time thank-you very much.

That said, the video I've linked to is 15 minutes long (Which is in my estimation about five times too long for the guy's shtick to sustain). If it's indicative of his of his current output, yup, I now agree, he's the worst.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I loathe Cinemasins because taken as a comedy it's horribly unfunny, and taken as a legit gripe with movies all of the "sins" are pointing out that a movie is a work of fiction so that's worthless as well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! Sometimes I think Baywatching is a lot of fun, but then I remember I'm not even into the hilarious seasons yet.

And Creepshow 3 is a slog, I really don't recommend it. It was reviewed as a Patreon reward and I still wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. At least a couple of people who worked on Creepshow 3 have contacted me since and said the shoot was hell; lots of interesting stories about that one. Among other things, the crazy yelling hobo really was a crazy person who was screaming for like 12 hours and got lost at least once, there were two directors who seemed to hate each other and gave conflicting direction, and they were shooting on the Universal back lot near the Jaws set so they had to wait for tour trolleys a lot. And apparently in the Alice story the idea was that she was a rabbit the whole time who had been made human by the remote. The person who confirmed this agreed that it still made no sense.
Hasn't it been said that the Tales from the Darkside movie is the actual Creepshow III?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

High Warlord Zog posted:

In never got the hate directed at this guy by the TGWTG crowd when he started up. Sure his stuff was inane nickpicky crap but was tightly scripted inane nitpicky crap instead of drawn out slightly more substantive but still pretty inane nickpicky crap. When it come's to choosing between the two I'll pick the one that wastes less of my time thank-you very much.

That said, the video I've linked to is 15 minutes long (Which is in my estimation about five times too long for the guy's shtick to sustain). If it's indicative of his of his current output, yup, I now agree, he's the worst.

Oh is that why everyone was throwing shitfits a few days ago? Huh.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Hasn't it been said that the Tales from the Darkside movie is the actual Creepshow III?

Yes, Tom Savini said that I believe.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

I've written for Cracked, and although I don't represent the company in any way, as a contributor I'd like to say: CinemaSins sucks pretty badly.

One of the things I like about Cracked is that they don’t take any old poo poo and publish it. It's not just that you make a list, the list has to have a “twist” -- a defiance of expectation -- and if you don’t have one, you don’t get published. “Five Medical Myths (That Are Actually True).” “Seven Stupid Plot Holes (That Make Perfect Sense in Context).” “Eight Scientific Wonders (That Are Actually Wrong).” Expectation (defiance of expectation). A simple formula, pretty basic when you understand it, but it works, and it produces basically interesting stuff.

With CinemaSins, no expectation is defied. “Twenty Inconsistencies in the Matrix” is not a compelling twist -- where's the defiance of expectation? You could broaden it to “Inconsistencies in Well-Respected Movies,” which has that twist, but then easily devolves into “small mistakes and nitpicks in famous movies" (which is what all the videos basically are). And what about that? Pretty much every movie has inconsistencies, and pointing them out is only fun if you’re high and arguing with your friends. Cracked understood that when they made “After Hours.” They must have forgot when they vetted “Everything Wrong with [X Movie].”

No doubt it took some time and thought to make the CinbemaSins videos, but I don’t think it was worth either. And migod, his voice for fifteen minutes -- did no one listen to this all the way through? Alas, alack. Not Cracked's finest hour.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
CinemaSins seems like it borrows the "name list of flaws in an amusing voice" of the Plinkett reviews except they don't list actual flaws or use an amusing voice.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I liked CinemaSins better when they were mostly concerned with making jokes rather than extensively cataloguing every little discrepancy in a movie they notice. Their original batch of videos that they kept down below ten minutes were actually funny instead of tedious. They have the same problem that NC has where only half their material is any good and the other half just wastes time, so they'd be a lot better off if they cut down on the jokes and worked on making slightly funny stuff funnier. Instead they've devolved into an endless movie nitpicking machine.

Mutation posted:

CinemaSins seems like it borrows the "name list of flaws in an amusing voice" of the Plinkett reviews except they don't list actual flaws or use an amusing voice.

I can think of no point in any Plinkett review where his voice didn't sound like pure grease being poured down your ear.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mutation posted:

Cinema Sins is the :effort: version of Honest Trailers which is the :effort: version How It Should Have Ended which mostly consists of lazy and obvious nitpick humour.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ronk a Donk posted:

I've written for Cracked, and although I don't represent the company in any way, as a contributor I'd like to say: CinemaSins sucks pretty badly.

One of the things I like about Cracked is that they don’t take any old poo poo and publish it. It's not just that you make a list, the list has to have a “twist” -- a defiance of expectation -- and if you don’t have one, you don’t get published. “Five Medical Myths (That Are Actually True).” “Seven Stupid Plot Holes (That Make Perfect Sense in Context).” “Eight Scientific Wonders (That Are Actually Wrong).” Expectation (defiance of expectation). A simple formula, pretty basic when you understand it, but it works, and it produces basically interesting stuff.

You mean like "Stuff you didn't know about being a policeman" or "stuff you didn't know about moving to a different country" or "stuff you didn't know was wrong with movie X"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
At least those try, although yeah, they're not trying hard. Cracked's pretty obviously hurting for material at the moment. The life-styles articles are an interesting premise, but they're running them into the ground. Something similar happened with their photoshop contests, which used to just be photoshop and now includes "macro contests," aka " random facts 'shopped onto pictures." Interesting once in a while, but not every day.

And they're all still better than CinemaSins' monotonous "here's a movie inconsistency that's probably not even an inconsistency" videos.

• Locked thread