Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh, hey you guys might also want to check out the breakdown of DBZA's Cooler 2, seems Kaiserneko hates that movie as much as me. Also, maybe World's Strongest for their next movie? That'd be awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFR0B1kp0w

I believe it might be their first movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiderdrake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFR0B1kp0w

I believe it might be their first movie

Woah, I had no idea they did this.

Edit: I, uh... I really hope they take another crack at it.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, they did Dead Zone way back before they started the series (maybe even before TFS was an actual thing; I'm not sure) and they've re-done it more recently.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Edit: I, uh... I really hope they take another crack at it.
Were you able to watch more than like, a minute or more?

I couldn't. Amazes me how much they've improved since then.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

World's Strongest is probably my favorite of the movies so I'd love for them to do so.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Dubbing in the era before video editing software was cheap and readily available sure sucked.

I think it's the american dubbing industry specifically the one that has always been a bit behind since the market to dub foreign movies/series has been relatively small till recently.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

World's Strongest is seriously really good and makes me wonder what all of the movies could have been like if the power creep wasn't so loving absurd. I'm at least a bit biased due to it being my first DBZ movie, though.

World's Strongest is definitely one of the better DB movies, along with Dead Zone and Tree of Might. I just really like the first three movies because, as you said, the power creep isn't so insane. Characters still fight mostly on the ground, there's more hand-to-hand styles, there's more unique techniques for each character.

But I've also become a little more forgiving of the crazy post-Super Saiyan planet destroying power seen in the later movies and series. Remember that Dragon Ball is based on Journey to the West, with Goku playing the role of Wukong. In JttW, there's gods and demi-gods who can lift entire mountains and move across the entire world with one leap. So going by that, the sort of stuff you see in the Cell and Buu Sagas isn't so out of place.

But still, the fights were much better choreographed in Dragon Ball and early DBZ. I like the stretch of anime/manga going from the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokau all the way up to the early part of the Freeza Arc.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blue Star posted:

World's Strongest is definitely one of the better DB movies, along with Dead Zone and Tree of Might. I just really like the first three movies because, as you said, the power creep isn't so insane. Characters still fight mostly on the ground, there's more hand-to-hand styles, there's more unique techniques for each character.

But I've also become a little more forgiving of the crazy post-Super Saiyan planet destroying power seen in the later movies and series. Remember that Dragon Ball is based on Journey to the West, with Goku playing the role of Wukong. In JttW, there's gods and demi-gods who can lift entire mountains and move across the entire world with one leap. So going by that, the sort of stuff you see in the Cell and Buu Sagas isn't so out of place.

But still, the fights were much better choreographed in Dragon Ball and early DBZ. I like the stretch of anime/manga going from the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokau all the way up to the early part of the Freeza Arc.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the later movies. Bojack Unbound and Fusion Reborn are my two favorites. The fights in the earlier movies just tend to be more interesting. I don't really have any problem with how powerful everyone got, it's just a matter of preference really.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blue Star posted:

Lord Slug also holds up pretty well in that regard(and continues the trend of unique mooks with interesting fighting styles, that abounded in the early movies)

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I wanted to ask which movie you thought was the most abysmal but then I remembered that Bio-Broly existed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So what is it with Broly? Hes in three movies total?

I watched the first one (Its "okay") so what the hell happens next and are they worth it? Im okay with "So terrible its uniquely bad/funny" as a selling point.

E: Actually, if someone wants to do a recap of every movie in their own words and if they are worth watching, i wouldn't mind. I've seen Fusion Reborn recently and enjoyed it. The trunks special was also nice but not entirely necessary, cathartic when he goes back and sweeps both 17, 18 and cell effortlessly.

Broly's movie was skippable, Coolers Revenge is "okay", Coolers Revenge take 2, revenge harder was dull.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 20, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How is the power creep in the first few movies not bad when 3 out of the 4 pre-Super Saiyan movies end in a spirit bomb? Dead Zone is the only one of the earlier movies with interesting fights and that's due to the fact Goku didn't have any of his abilities he got prior to his death. Him and Piccolo had to actually fight their opponents and show some ingenuity and even that movie ended with the villain basically beating himself.

The following three movies follow the same drat formula, but now Goku's got Kaio-ken and Spirit Bomb so he's got an even bigger "I win" button he can push when things get hairy. Those movies also get tedious very easily because the build up to the fights happening is so long and boring, especially Tree of Might.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 20, 2014

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thyrork posted:

E: Actually, if someone wants to do a recap of every movie in their own words and if they are worth watching, i wouldn't mind. I've seen Fusion Reborn recently and enjoyed it.

I would really appreciate this. I remember reading a ranking list a long time ago that claimed Cooler 2 was the best movie and Lord Slug was the worst, Bio Broly not far behind, and taking that as gospel. I've learned lately it really isn't though.

I have still not seen all of them, but from what I can tell, the first two are really good, Tree of Might is a step down, Lord Slug is good, and five starts the trend of generic, forgettable movies, with 9 and 12 being the exceptions as good ones.

I'm still of the opinion Cooler 2 isn't bad. The fighting in Cooler vs Goku and Vegeta is really good at least.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The ending of the second Broly movie was pretty good. Yeah it was a father son kamehameha but this time there were two sons.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm still of the opinion Cooler 2 isn't bad. The fighting in Cooler vs Goku and Vegeta is really good at least.

I felt that's was the only highlight, a dull movie everywhere else. FourStar did a good job of improving it mind. :haw:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Cooler's Revenge because the first fight with Mecha Cooler was pretty cool and the Coolers revealing themselves was a dramatic moment, and really badass on Goku and Vegeta's part for getting right back up, turning back into Super Saiyans, and charging into the fight.

Watching it again it does definitely have problems, but that whole sequence was awesome.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

How is the power creep in the first few movies not bad when 3 out of the 4 pre-Super Saiyan movies end in a spirit bomb? Dead Zone is the only one of the earlier movies with interesting fights and that's due to the fact Goku didn't have any of his abilities he got prior to his death. Him and Piccolo had to actually fight their opponents and show some ingenuity and even that movie ended with the villain basically beating himself.

The following three movies follow the same drat formula, but now Goku's got Kaio-ken and Spirit Bomb so he's got an even bigger "I win" button he can push when things get hairy. Those movies also get tedious very easily because the build up to the fights happening is so long and boring, especially Tree of Might.

World's Strongest was a lot better about it than a lot of other movies, and the power creep wasn't too bad because even Roshi got moments to shine. Goku might have hit the win button at the end, but they had a small group of fighters that could hold their own, and no one felt like they were there because they just had to be.

I fuckin' hate Tree of Might, though.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Thyrork posted:

So what is it with Broly? Hes in three movies total?

I watched the first one (Its "okay") so what the hell happens next and are they worth it? Im okay with "So terrible its uniquely bad/funny" as a selling point.

E: Actually, if someone wants to do a recap of every movie in their own words and if they are worth watching, i wouldn't mind. I've seen Fusion Reborn recently and enjoyed it. The trunks special was also nice but not entirely necessary, cathartic when he goes back and sweeps both 17, 18 and cell effortlessly.

Broly's movie was skippable, Coolers Revenge is "okay", Coolers Revenge take 2, revenge harder was dull.

The first Broly movie is the best of his appearances. I for one loved that he fought like a brawler, and the overall tone of the movie was stellar. My only major gripe was that Goku is, as always, the only one who can even land a punch. Especially since you had the Cell-Saga equivalent Gohan right there. They could have at least let him have one of his brief pre-Cell freakouts rather than just getting smeared all over the landscape every time he had the audacity to be not-Goku.

The second Broly film I have some respect for as well. It's weak in the plot department, but we get to see natural Broly without the mind-control shenanigans, the fights are fierce, and the animation is some of the best of the movies. Plus the Father/Son/Son Kamehameha was intense and is really one of the only major events where Goku does anything alongside both his sons simultaneously.

Bio-Broly is just a mess. Broly's presence is in no way required for the plot, and really he only has ten seconds of screen-time as the Broly we know and love, and is obviously shoehorned in just to sell the movie. I don't even know what to say about this one, to be honest. It's just crap all around and is easily the worst out of all the movies. Even Cooler 2: Revenge Harder.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm surprised people hate Cooler 2 so much.

It was the last movie (unless you count Bio Brolly) where Krillen did ANYTHING resembling fighting, the fight with the first Metal Cooler is decent, and the side characters had their own side plot instead of it being -completely- about the Saiyans + a knocked out Piccolo like every movie after.

The difference between the Toriyama movies (Yo! Son Goku, Battle of Gods) and the Toei ones is tremendous, though. The only one that even resembles Toriyama is Janenba and the part in Lord Slug when Gohan is whistling.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I watched almost all of these movies when I was a kid in the mid 90s, pre-American release and in Cantonese. Goku's Chinese voice is the one I grew up with and he's much tougher sounding. My older brother used to get the movies, though I really only saw a few episodes of the actual show.

I think I've seen a handful in the last 5 years so a good amount of this is based purely on rose-colored glasses from about 20 years ago, but my top DBZ movie rankings purely on memory would go:

1. Fusion Reborn
2. Cooler's Revenge
3. Super Android 13
4. Broly 1
5. Bojack
6. Lord Slug
7. World's Strongest
Tie for everything else but--
Bio-Broly - dead last

I was a huge sucker for the Fusion powerup and the random fights that came up in Fusion reborn. Cooler seemed like an awesome villain to me. Also, I saw that movie way before I ever watched Frieza.

Android 13, I remember renting that movie and thinking about how awesome Goku was for absorbing the spirit bomb. Theoretically, that could've been the strongest he's ever been.

I don't speak Cantonese.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Here's how I rank 'em, not counting any of the specials.
1. Fusion Reborn - It's fun, it's irreverent, it's got some badass moments. Not perfect by any means but to me the pros outweigh the cons. Also best use of a filler character in history.
2. Bojack Unbound - Probably the best of the movies from a pure action standpoint. Gohan gets to be the big cool hero again and there are some decent fights with the others. Also Mr. Satan is featured prominently.
3. Battle of Gods - Similar reasons for Fusion Reborn. The fight with Bils (or Beerus I guess) is pretty lackluster but everything else makes up for it in my opinion.
4. Dead Zone - Honestly I didn't like Dead Zone for a long time but I recently rewatched some parts of it and I realized it's just a good old fashioned fightin' movie. I dig it a lot now.
5. Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan - It's definitely got problems, as everyone in the thread has talked about a lot by now, but I can't help but like it. Broly is a dumb character but in the first movie he's the right kind of dumb. If Super Android 13 and Return of Cooler hadn't both done the "impossibly powerful enemy the heroes can't ever hope to beat oh wait Goku won" thing beforehand it would have been less stupid. I also really like the way Broly fights with all his big dumb wrestling moves.
6. Cooler's Revenge - It takes too long to get going, honestly. The fight between Goku and Cooler is alright but it's way too short and the way Goku absolutely trounces him after going super saiyan is kind of anticlimactic considering (at least in the anime) he fought Frieza evenly for quite awhile.
7. Broly: Second Coming - I mostly like this because the first half is Broly kicking the poo poo out of Goten and Trunks, and the second half is Gohan getting another opportunity to be the big cool hero.
8-10. Lord Slug, Super Android 13, Wrath of the Dragon - In no particular order. They're boring. I don't like watching them.
11. Return of Cooler - Sucks.
12. World's Strongest - I haven't seen this in like ten years but I remember hating it. I may rewatch it at some point but everything I remember about it is pretty much not good.
13. Tree of Might - God this one is loving awful. I hate everything about it. It's another one I haven't seen in awhile but I watched it more recently than World's Strongest so while I can't go into detail on what I specifically don't like about it I just know it was a chore to watch.

And that's all of them. There are no others.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Nobody ever talks about Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans. I mean, it was pretty bad. But not Bio-Broly bad, and we talk about that one all the time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tree of Might is bad because 'the villain looks just like Goku' is dumber than anything in all of Dragonball Z, and there's a lot of dumb poo poo there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Esroc posted:

Nobody ever talks about Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans. I mean, it was pretty bad. But not Bio-Broly bad, and we talk about that one all the time.

I always forget it exists.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

Tree of Might is bad because 'the villain looks just like Goku' is dumber than anything in all of Dragonball Z, and there's a lot of dumb poo poo there.

It bothered me as a kid because that was never explained.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

It bothered me as a kid because that was never explained.

I remember the first time I watched it, the translation called him Goku's brother and that stuck with me forever until I got the Internet and started caring about DBZ again. Implausibly, it made the movie even worse.

World's Strongest, by the way, is kind of weird and not to everyone's taste. It kind of hits that sweet spot for me for DBZ's sci-fi stuff while still rooted in the series' martial arts goodness. Also, the stakes were really personal to everyone; Gohan, Goku, and Krillin all needed to save their masters from a threat they could not overcome on their own. It had a DBZ movie ending, but I kind of excuse it for that because it was the first one to do the DBZ movie ending.

Not everyone is going to like it as much as I do, some probably will even find it boring, but if it's close to last in your book and you haven't seen it in a while, check it out again sometime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fusion Reborn is the greatest DBZ movie and the only I actually have fun watching. Bojack Unbound is disappointing because the summary on the box told me they were pirates and they did no pirating.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I found Bojack Unbound a bit mediocre because they spend 90% of it beating up the entire crew and then Gohan decimates them in a few seconds.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tree of Might is definitely the worst of the first three films for reasons already stated. I think I remember Tullece was supposed to be a clone or something. I read that on some fansite way back when. Something about him being "cast in the same mold" (that was the wording that I remember reading).

I'll stick up for World's Strongest because I like the overall look and design of both the locations and the characters. I like the bio-fighters and Doctor Willow's giant robot form. I like the crazy sci-fi environment that looks more like an alien spaceship than a laboratory. And I love the creepy theme music.

One major reason I like the first three films is because they do more stuff with crazy and unique locations. I already mentioned Doctor Willow's super-scifi laboratory, but I also like Garlic Jr's evil palace and I love the idea that Tree of Might takes place in and around a gigantic, world-spanning tree. It's such a cool visual. The later movies don't really do that, except for Fusion Reborn with the crazy floating jelly beans. I wish the main series did more stuff like that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Some Numbers posted:

I found Bojack Unbound a bit mediocre because they spend 90% of it beating up the entire crew and then Gohan decimates them in a few seconds.

But this time is GOHAN

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I believe the reason Turles looks like Goku is because low-class saiyan warriors don't have an incredibly diverse gene pool so a lot of them end up looking very similar to one another.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp60avoyT9k

English Theatrical trailer for the Battle of Gods movie.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Webbeh posted:

Wills doesn't sound nearly flamboyant enough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That trailer is going to disappoint anyone hoping that movie is gong to be super serious.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Webbeh posted:

i like how all the fight scenes are from the worst looking parts

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My favorite movie is Super Android 13 because of the moment Piccolo enters the movie. He arrives, after being totally uninvolved with the plot, by tunneling through the ground and popping out like a fighting alien Bugs Bunny. Then after everyone goes "Piccolo!" and is surprised to see him, someone thinks to ask him why he showed up and he responds "I was in the neighborhood". Like, even if he suddenly developed a sense of humor, the idea that Piccolo spends his off-time burrowing through the arctic cracks me the gently caress up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Like, even if he suddenly developed a sense of humor, the idea that Piccolo spends his off-time burrowing through the arctic cracks me the gently caress up.

He isn't usually in the arctic, but he took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WickedHate posted:

He isn't usually in the arctic, but he took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

He was looking for a castle. Really needs to get on that conquering the world business, his father/previous incarnation would be so disappointed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Webbeh posted:

I'm going to watch this movie in theaters if only to hear Chris Sabat's vegeta singing that goofy "bingo" song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also love like the three swears I heard during that trailer.

• Locked thread