Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks! If you dig it, and you like older games, try out Watch Out For Fireballs! too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Finished both episodes and now I am starting to work up the gumption to play alpha Protocol. I was originally turned off by that hacking mini game with the flashing numbers.
Really glad Gary chimed in and asked Chris to explain his use of tenses. It was starting to confuse the hell out of me.
Great insight and a very open attitude. I wish he would do more talks its always gold.
Id listen to the Chris Avellonecast.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Finished both episodes and now I am starting to work up the gumption to play alpha Protocol. I was originally turned off by that hacking mini game with the flashing numbers.
Really glad Gary chimed in and asked Chris to explain his use of tenses. It was starting to confuse the hell out of me.
Great insight and a very open attitude. I wish he would do more talks its always gold.
Id listen to the Chris Avellonecast.

He's been incredibly generous with us. I just wonder how often he's asked.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm listening to the latest extrasode of Bonfireside Chat, and I'm really happy that I was the first person to send in an email about the Shadow/Darkman confusion.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Really enjoyed the crate and crowbar discussion of watch dogs, they actually dismantled the game in a really fair but precise way.

I hope you guys haven't abandoned them because of the audio issues, they are really worth sticking with.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

What are some general thoughts on the Super Best Friendcast? I got into it recently, and it's like... pretty good most of the time! Three quarters of that cast are likable, have good chemistry and are generally fun to listen to. My main problem is that there's one guy on the show, Liam, who legitimately makes the entire thing hard to listen to. Like he appears difficult, combative, and overly attached to some poo poo and no desire to calm down on a number of issues. Has anyone else been checking this show out?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rei_ posted:

What are some general thoughts on the Super Best Friendcast? I got into it recently, and it's like... pretty good most of the time! Three quarters of that cast are likable, have good chemistry and are generally fun to listen to. My main problem is that there's one guy on the show, Liam, who legitimately makes the entire thing hard to listen to. Like he appears difficult, combative, and overly attached to some poo poo and no desire to calm down on a number of issues. Has anyone else been checking this show out?

They're super passionate about what they love, and if you are too, then they're great. And yeah, Liam is probably best in small doses. He tries to be the devil's advocate on a ton of poo poo but it's really just annoying.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Liam is also close to 10 years younger than the rest of the cast, which doesn't really help things. He's much more tolerable in their actual game videos, though. If you want to talk more about the Super Best Friends, there's a dedicated thread over here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it was when he brought up Rapelay as a genuine example during a discussion that really made me go "gently caress this guy"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rei_ posted:

It's a cool show and they share my taste in games. I did not know they were big enough to have a dedicated thread though :v:

Basically I like that there is a podcast I can actually listen to where the guys really like fighting games, Devil May Cry 3 and Atlus JRPGs because that is an increasingly rare type of person

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I've tried getting into the Super Best Friendscast and I'm just not feeling it so far. They all seem a bit yelly (do they record using a single mic in the middle of a room?) and I guess I care about Japanese games even less than I thought. I'm not totally surprised that I don't love it because seeing it described as having hosts who really love DMC3 and fighting games never filled me with excitement (even though I really like playing and watching fighting games). Also they kept talking about the new Killer Instinct like it was a legit fighting game and that one guy does kinda seem like a dumb rear end in a top hat. I know it can sometimes take more than 2 or 3 episodes to really "get" a show, and I'll go back to it when I run out of other podcasts, but I'm not expecting it to replace the Bombcast any time soon.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episdoe 5 of Kerbalcast is up! http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

This one took a lot longer to edit/record than our previous episdoes and it ended up being our longest yet at just over 60min.

What length is optimal for you guys? We try for 45-60min but our final decision is as long as it's all good content then the length is whatever.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

This month on the Besties: Justin tries to wreck a car in Watch_Dogs by lightly bumping into it for 10 solid minutes, not using any of the dozen or so abilities that would do it in one shot (the ones that literally flash up on the screen "press square to wreck a car right now" and make a shrill beeping noise at you until you do it), and then he blames it on a lack of foresight by the developers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Based on that description, I'd agree with him. There should be at least one non-hacking, non-preplanned way to take out enemy vehicles, in case you're on a stretch of road with no hackable things. At the very least, let your player shoot while in the car or something. The NPCs can.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There are hackable things constantly along every road. If you don't want to do that for some reason, you can still check them into oncoming traffic.

Also, I'm pretty sure that NPC drivers can't shoot out of the cars in that game.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Latest Abject Suffering has the best intro out of all of them. Possibly out of all of Duckfeed. I can't stop laughing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just thought I'd post this thing from the latest TF2 update:

quote:

Added the Mann Co. Audition Reel. Contains taunts and a rare chance at an unusual taunt

UNUSUAL TAUNTS

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 6 of Kerbalcast is up :jeb:
http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We talk about :
Listeners favorite mods
Modstatistics being scary
The movie Solaris

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The word that Idle Thumbs' last episode couldn't recall to describe Peter Dinklage's contribution to Game of Thrones, is probably "gravitas."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

The word that Idle Thumbs' last episode couldn't recall to describe Peter Dinklage's contribution to Game of Thrones, is probably "gravitas."
Or "acting".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The talk about space mysticism made me think of a John Carter of Mars RPG and that would be pretty sweet. I want to jump 40 feet and kills a green martian with a single punch.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mr. Jake Rodkin how much do I need to kickstart to have Danielle on every week and will I get another postcard out of it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idle Thumbs started doing advertisements so that they could scoop Danielle from Polygon and hire her on as a permanent host on Thumbs, right? What did you do with all of the Kickstarter money? WE DEMAND ANSWERS as to why Danielle isn't always on Thumbs.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
It is useful to have someone on to tell Chris the E3 news updates. I remember when Ryan Davis did that and it was my favorite Thumbs episode.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
His disbelief at the name "Xbox One" was the greatest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

It is useful to have someone on to tell Chris the E3 news updates. I remember when Ryan Davis did that and it was my favorite Thumbs episode.

The xbox one?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wish the Thumbs guys would set up a Patreon or something so I could just pay them and get an ad-free version of the cast. It's not even that I think they're bad, and I don't begrudge them for doing it, but none of these products really apply to me or my location (I really want one of those loving Nature Boxes :( ) and they tend to disrupt the flow of the cast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're often pretty amusing though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some animations of Idle Thumbs things have recently appeared. Well, the first is more of an animation. The next five are less animated but still amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFys5lRP_mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5htlm_Jgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtk8GfiOlUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLKaUhDJ_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfcG6prAHzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrbP3iPtg_k

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They're often pretty amusing though.

Yeah, they are, I just don't like the feeling of interruption they often create. I'd probably have less of a problem if they were just at the start and end.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I wish the Thumbs guys would set up a Patreon or something so I could just pay them and get an ad-free version of the cast. It's not even that I think they're bad, and I don't begrudge them for doing it, but none of these products really apply to me or my location (I really want one of those loving Nature Boxes :( ) and they tend to disrupt the flow of the cast.
What is your location?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

What is your location?

Probably somewhere on Earth outside of USA.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

weird bleep posted:

Probably somewhere on Earth outside of USA.
Yeah I probably should have just said that there are other things like Nature Box that exist in the world outside the USA. Graze has existed for years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

I'm replying to a months-old post, I know, but MS dictates that people refer to the Xbone as "Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft" on every press release, and it stands out like a sore thumb every time.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

Yeah I probably should have just said that there are other things like Nature Box that exist in the world outside the USA. Graze has existed for years.

This does not deliver to my sewer rat people village so it's useless to me.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm replying to a months-old post, I know, but MS dictates that people refer to the Xbone as "Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft" on every press release, and it stands out like a sore thumb every time.

Oh gently caress, there was a multiplatform game and it said "Coming to Playstation 4, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360."

Which is hilarious because I read it as the "entertainment system from Microsoft, the Playstation 3".

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Episode 6 of Kerbalcast is up :jeb:
http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We talk about :
Listeners favorite mods
Modstatistics being scary
The movie Solaris

Just listened. If you run out of kerbal stuff, do another 'cast. You do great work. ( on phone, sorry for errors in advance.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Akuma posted:

That's UK only, so just as useful as Nature Box.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I now have the idlethumbs gangtag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Alpha Protocol extrasode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, featuring a lengthy interview with Chris Avellone.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74e

I fell off WOFF awhile back shuffling between phones but 4 hours about one of favorite games ever including time with Christ Avellone himself is a great way to jump back in.

It's heartening AP has become something of a cult classic.

• Locked thread